Diancie GP 2/2

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Mega Diancie's movepool may be somewhat limited, but when backed by high base Speed and attacking stats, it is able to propel Mega Diancie to the forefront of the Doubles metagame. Mega Diancie achieves solid mixed attacking coverage between two strong STAB attacks, with Earth Power filling in many of the few holes that are left. Using that coverage, Mega Diancie can take out many relevant threats such as Hydreigon, Heatran, Keldeo, and Mega Charizard Y. Perhaps Mega Diancie's greatest asset is found in its exclusive primary STAB move, Diamond Storm, which has everything a Doubles Pokemon could want: high Base Power, high accuracy, and a helpful secondary effect that gives some protection against physical attackers. Mega Diancie also has a superb ability in Magic Bounce, shielding it from moves that would otherwise severely hinder it such as Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp.

Unfortunately, a low HP stat further offset by uninvested defenses and weaknesses to decently common types in Water and Ground leaves Mega Diancie somewhat frail. More specifically, a weakness to the omnipresent Landorus-T's Earthquake makes it difficult for Mega Diancie to perform as well as it could otherwise. Having a low base Speed prior to Mega Evolving also holds it back, forcing it to rely on Protect to Mega Evolve safely.

On the other hand, this low base Speed lets Diancie possess a little bit of flexibility in using its base forme to operate as a Trick Room setter with far more bulk than its Mega counterpart. Utilizing both Clear Body and a powerful Diamond Storm lets this set thrive in sweeping unprepared teams. However, Trick Room Diancie is hindered by the same critical typing weaknesses, as well as being countered by common Trick Room checks Amoonguss and Aegislash.

[SET]
name: Offensive Trick Room
move 1: Diamond Storm
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Trick Room
move 4: Protect
item: Stone Plate / Life Orb
ability: Clear Body
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Diamond Storm is Diancie's main STAB move, dealing powerful spread damage while having a chance to boost Diancie's Defense. This Rock-type coverage, when combined with Fairy-type coverage in the form of Moonblast, which covers Fighting-types, leaves Diancie only walled by opposing Steel-types. Trick Room is a potent speed control move that gives Diancie's team the upper hand speed-wise for four more turns, allowing Diancie and its teammates room to sweep. Protect is useful for avoiding opposing damage and maneuvering for a better position with Diancie's partner.

Set Details
========

Stone Plate and 252 EVs in Attack bring Trick Room Diancie's Diamond Storm damage on par with Mega Diancie's, notably allowing it to 2HKO most neutral targets. Maximum HP EVs are used to compensate for Diancie's low base HP stat and to give it a respectable amount of bulk. While Stone Plate is preferred to avoid recoil damage, Life Orb can be used to give Diancie more damage output, notably having a better roll to KO defensive Thundurus while also boosting Moonblast enough to KO Keldeo with 108 Special Attack EVs—without Life Orb, however, there aren't any notable Special Attack benchmarks, and hence the standard spread has no Special Attack investment. If using Life Orb, a spread of 152 HP / 248 Atk / 108 SpA should be used, as this minimizes Life Orb recoil and hits the aforementioned Special Attack benchmark.

Usage Tips
========

The only foes that resist Diancie's dual coverage are Steel-types, so get rid of these immediately. More often than not, eliminating Aegislash or Jirachi early on grants Diancie a paved road to finish the game, so Diancie often works best mid- or late-game when these threats are eliminated.

Defensively, Diancie brings many things to the table that no other setter can due to its unique Rock / Fairy typing. Take advantage of these unique good matchups—against Talonflame, Kangaskhan, Thundurus, and Hydreigon—for an opportunity to set up Trick Room, usually with Fake Out or redirection support. On the other hand, Diancie should do its best to avoid its difficult matchups, such as against opposing Steel-types, rain sweepers and bulky Water-types, and Amoonguss.

Defensive boosts are also extremely useful: these can be used to easily tank and prevent a late-game Earthquake sweep after Trick Room goes down. Diancie's decent bulk also allows it to tank opposing Earth Power from Heatran, Kyurem-B, or Mega Diancie, as well as Solar Beam from Mega Charizard Y.

Diancie possesses the option to simply use Diamond Storm if you foresee a foe using using Taunt (typically Thundurus, which is weak to Diamond Storm), potentially picking up KOs or dealing large amounts of damage.

Team Options
========

Diancie's team members should generally be geared towards dealing with its difficult matchups. Especially notable are attackers that can deal with Steel-types such as Volcanion, Scrafty, Heatran, Mega Camerupt, and Hoopa-U and Ground-immune Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Latios, and Hydreigon. In addition, checks to opposing Water-types such as Dragon-types, Grass-types (Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur), and Mega Charizard Y, as well as Fairy checks in the form of Aegislash, Heatran, and Bronzong, are needed.

Fake Out and redirection are two forms of support Diancie greatly appreciates for setting Trick Room; Scrafty and Mega Kangaskhan provide Fake Out, whereas Amoonguss and Jirachi supply Diancie with redirection. Scrafty and Amoonguss are both very good for compensating for Diancie's weaknesses to Steel-types and Water-types, respectively.

Other Options sentence:
Trick Room Diancie can utilize Weakness Policy to gain boosts after taking a super effective hit, but the only super effective hits that won't OHKO Diancie are Earth Power and Earthquake, and Weakness Policy significantly reduces Diancie's damage output, preventing several 2HKOs.

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
you need 108 spa + lorb to always ohko keld so i would just mark that down in set details, though that doesnt even ohko latios 100% of the time so idk if its worth the investment though. slash lorb after stone plate as the main item cuz its nifty in that it lets diancie always 2hko 4 hp lando factoring in spread whereas stone plate doenst and flesh out team options a bit and count this as 1/3

PS your formatting is ugly

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
  • [Moves] You have to talk about Protect a little bit, if you don't want to add it until writeup that's cool with me just don't forget it
  • [Set Details] Clarify that 252 HP is used in place of some SpA investment since you're rarely clicking Moonblast outside of things that will drop anyway and Diancie's base HP is trash.
  • [Set Details] Is there any reason that you dumped the last 4 in SpD instead of SpA? If not, I'd put it in SpA to make it a little less arbitrary
  • [Usage Tips] Talk a little bit about when Diancie works best in the game, typically mid- to late-game as it doesn't have great matchups against common leads and the rest of the team will have had a chance to take out Steels
  • [Team Options] I want to look over this after you write it up because there are a few things I don't want left out but it's possible (likely) that you were going to mention them anyway so I'll reassess later
  • [Other Options] Can you make a section for this and say something about Weakness Policy? I want a GP'ed sentence to be able to add to OO once this set gets published. See my Swampert analysis for an example of what I'm thinking of.
  • [Other Options] EDIT: Also, if you think Goggles would be okay then feel free to write something about that. Haven't tried it and going totally off of theorymon so I'll leave it up to you.
I'll remove Taunt from Checks and Counters right now, thanks for pointing that out. Analysis is solid, QC 2/3 once implemented

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
checkmater75 my man, write this up soon\

btw, "-life orb + some spa investment lets you ko Keldeo with Moonblast, loses a lot of bulk doe" on Moves should be on Set Details

tree edit: Actually you already have that in Set Details... so just axe that bullet point from Moves

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Let me check over this before I stamp it, still got some things I'm unsure about and want to check over stuff after implemented.

Set
  • Change the set name to just "Offensive Trick Room" since offensive + attacker is a bit redundant and overly long.
Moves
  • Mention what Moonblast hits (basically what you say in Set Details but here).
  • Talk about Protect briefly as talkingtree said.
  • Mention that Diamond Storm is spread.
Set Details
  • In the second sentence remove the bit about Moonblast hitting a few things, just say that Dstorm is the main attack.
  • Remove the sentence starting "on the other hand" and instead have a new sentence before the LO one saying that dstorm boosts your main attack without detracting from HP.
  • In the spread sentence mention hitting the aforementioned Keldeo benchmark.
  • Remove the bit about Clear Body since it's the only ability.
Usage tips
  • Remove the sentence starting "Diancie isn't just a valuable" since it's fluff imo. In the next sentence mention how it has unique matchups from it's nice typing.
  • In the point about attacking on a Taunt, mention how common users (Thund) are weak to it's STABs.
Team Options
  • In the second sentence I guess you're meaning "sweepers that can deal with steels" also change sweepers to teammates/Pokemon since they aren't really sweepers tbh.
  • Remove swift swimmers since regular diancie rain doesn't sounds that good tbh. Also doubtful of the effectiveness of Diancie on sun.
  • That second sentence is way too long lol, make the point for steel/water/fairy checks seperate sentences. Also unsure on how diancie is particularly Fairy weak.
  • Say what FO and redirection are nice for (setting tr). Also briefly mention how like scrafty checks steels and amoon checks waters.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Implemented~

changed to "Offensive Trick Room Setter" because "Offensive Trick Room" could just as easily describe Camerupt-mega? not sure if "Offensive Trick Room" makes it clear it sets or n, /shrug/ get back to me on this

Ok so you told me to remove the thing in SD about Moonblast hitting a few things ("Moonblast isn't used very often (mainly just to hit Fighting-types such as Scrafty or Keldeo) so ") but Talkingtree just told me to put that in, can you confirm this? Personally I feel like saying diamond storm is main atk doesn't sufficiently explain why you don't need SpA evs

I really want to get in somewhere that clear body is super useful for screwing opposing Intimidate as I feel that's a key part of Diancie, but I don't know where exactly to fit it, so I felt SD was the best spot.. get back to me on this please

instead of "sweepers that can deal with" I put "attackers" because I wanted emphasis on being able to offensively deal with steels. Then again idt there are any real steel checks that aren't offensive except rotom-wash I guess

I like sswimmer mention and Sun mention because both are very good at dealing with opposing steel-types, also diancie likes beating sun and sun likes beating rain. I've used both before and liked them. I'd be down for removing them just thought I wanted to make a defense of weather+diancie

Thanks for the comments! Tell me if there's anything else~~

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Not Yoda but I have a few things that might be helpful so hi

For something like Camerupt, we usually use "Trick Room Attacker", where Trick Room is being used as an adjective as opposed to the "noun", which I read as saying that the set actually has Trick Room as a move. Past convention is a bit iffy on this one though, from what I could find it appears to be about half and half with other offensive TR setters (which was just Hoopa-U and Reun lol). I'll talk with Memo on that one.

My apologies about the Moonblast in Set Details - Yoda asked me specifically about this and I told him to remove it, I should have checked the context instead of blindly assuming you had placed it in the wrong section. Compromise: work something in Set Details that clarifies that there are no notable SpA benchmarks worth hitting with Stone Plate, leave the updated Moves section.

About Clear Body, I think the place it would fit best would be in the Overview, so if you want to write a new small paragraph for Diancie's overview to go after Mega Diancie's (see what I did in my Swampert analysis). If you don't feel like writing it I can draw something up and run it by you later.

I'm more in favor of Sun + Diancie because sun semiroom is super strong, but Rain semiroom hasn't been super proven so for now I'd rather not suggest it to a potentially new user.

P.S. Just gonna throw this out there that you've become a great writer to work with and I look forward to having you write things in Sun + Moon :D

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
did this, going to wait for a final word on name of the set

Also I made a overview thingy, but as a side note I think the overview bits pertaining to Mega Diancie could be updated a little

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
I'd prefer Offensive Trick Room over Offensive Trick Room Setter since they essentially mean the same thing with the former being shorter lol. Offensive Trick Room implies that the set is offensive in nature while also having Trick Room as a move.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Mega Diancie's movepool may be somewhat limited, but when backed by high base Speed and attacking stats, it is able to propel Mega Diancie to the forefront of the Doubles metagame. Mega Diancie achieves solid mixed attacking coverage between two strong STAB attacks, with Earth Power filling in many of the few holes that are left. Using that coverage, Mega Diancie can take out many relevant threats such as Hydreigon, Heatran, Keldeo, and Mega Charizard Y. Perhaps Mega Diancie's greatest asset is found in its exclusive primary STAB move, Diamond Storm, which has everything a Doubles Pokemon could want: high Base Power, high accuracy, and a helpful secondary effect that gives some protection against physical attackers. Not only that, but Mega Diancie also has a superb ability in Magic Bounce, shielding it from moves that would otherwise severely hinder it such as Thunder Wave or and Will-O-Wisp.

Unfortunately, a low HP stat further offset by uninvested defenses and weaknesses to decently common types in Water and Ground leaves leave Mega Diancie somewhat frail. More specifically, a weakness to the omnipresent Landorus-T's Earthquake makes it difficult for Mega Diancie to perform as well as it could otherwise. Having a low base-speed base Speed prior to Mega Evolving also holds it back, forcing it to rely on Protect to Mega-Evolve Mega Evolve safely.

On the other hand, this low speed Speed lets Diancie possess a little bit of flexibility in using its base forme to operate as a Trick Room setter with far more bulk than its Mega counterpart. Utilizing both Clear Body and a powerful Diamond Storm lets this set thrive in sweeping unprepared teams. Still, However, Trick Room Diancie is hindered by the same critical typing weaknesses, as well as being countered by common Trick Room checks,[comma] Amoonguss and Aegislash.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Diamond Storm is Diancie's main STAB move, dealing powerful spread damage while having a chance to boost Diancie's Defense.[full stop] boosting Diancie's Defense. This rock coverage, when combined with fairy in the form of Moonblast (covering Fighthing-Types) This Rock-type coverage, when combined with Fairy-type coverage in the form of Moonblast, which covers Fighting-types,[comma] leaves Diancie only walled by opposing Steel-types. Trick Room is a potent speed control move that gives Diancie's team the upper hand speed-wise for 4 four more turns, giving allowing Diancie and its teammates room to sweep. Protect, as always, is useful for avoiding opposing damage and maneuvering for a better position with Diancie's partner.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Attack and Stone Plate brings Stone Plate and 252 EVs in Attack bring Trick Room Diancie's Diamond Storm damage on par with Mega Diancie's, notably 2HKO'ing allowing it to 2HKO most neutral targets hits. Max Maximum HP EVs are is used to compensate Diancie compensate for Diancie's low base HP stat and to give it a respectable amount of bulk at the same time. While Stone Plate is preferred to avoid recoil damage, Life Orb can be used to give Diancie more damage output, notably having a better roll to ko KO defensive Thundurus while also boosting Moonblast enough to KO Keldeo with 108 spA evs - without Life Orb, Special Attack EVs—without Life Orb, however, there aren't any notable Special Attack benchmarks, hence the standard spread has no Special Attack investment SpA. If using Life Orb, a spread of 152 HP / 248 Atk / 108 SpA should be used, as this guarantees a Life Orb number and hits the aforementioned SpA Special Attack benchmark.

Usage Tips
========

The only foes that resist your dual coverage is Steel-types: get rid of these immediately. The only foes that resist Diancie's dual coverage are Steel-types, so get rid of these immediately. More often than not,[comma] eliminating Aegislash or Jirachi early on grants Diancie a paved road to finish the game, so Diancie often works best mid-late game mid- or late-game when these threats are eliminated.

Defensively, Diancie brings many things to the table defensively that no other setter can do due to its unique Fairy-Rock Fairy / Rock typing. Take advantage of these unique good matchups - Talonflame, Kangaskhan, Thundurus, Hydreigon - for matchups—against Talonflame, Kangaskhan, Thundurus, and Hydreigon—for an opportunity to set up Trick Room, usually with Fake Out or redirection support. On the other hand, Diancie should do its best to avoid its difficult matchups, such as against opposing Steel-types, Rain rain sweepers and bulky Water-types, and Amoonguss.

Defensive boosts are also extremely useful: these can be used to easily tank and prevent a late-game Earthquake sweep after Trick Room goes down. Diancie's decent bulk also allows it to tank an opposing Earth Power from Heatran, Kyurem-Black Kyurem-B, or Mega Diancie, as well as a or Solarbeam Solar Beam from Mega Charizard-[hyphen]Y.

If you forsee a foe using Taunt to prevent Trick Room, Diancie possesses the option to simply use Diamond Storm as a foe uses Taunt (typically Thundurus, which is weak to Diamond Storm), potentially picking up KOs or dealing large amounts of damage.

Team Options
========

Diancie's team members should generally be geared towards dealing with its difficult matchups. Especially notable are attackers that can deal with steels Steel-types such as Volcanion, Scrafty, Heatran, Mega Camerupt, and Hoopa-U and ground Ground-type immunities such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Latios, and Hydreigon Mega Charizard-Y, and Latios/Hydreigon. In addition,[comma] checks to opposing Water-types such as Dragon-types, Grass-types (Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur Venusauar), or and Mega Charizard-[hyphen]Y,[comma] as well as Fairy checks in the form of Aegislash, Heatran, or and Bronzong are needed.

Fake Out and redirection are two forms of support Diancie greatly appreciates for setting Trick Room; this can take the form of Scrafty or Mega Kangaskhan for provide Fake Out and Amoonguss or Jirachi for provide [repetition] redirection. Scrafty and Amoonguss both are both very good for supplementing Diancie's weaknesses to Steel-types and Water-types, respectively.

Other Options sentence:
Trick room Diancie can get utilize Weakness Policy to gain boosts after taking a SE hit, but the only SE hits that won't OHKO Diancie are Earth Powers and Earthquake, and Weakness Policy significantly reduces your damage and drops several 2HKOs. Trick Room Diancie can utilize Weakness Policy to gain boosts after taking a super effective hit, but the only super effective hits that won't OHKO Diancie are Earth Power and Earthquake, and Weakness Policy significantly reduces Diancie's damage and drops several 2HKOs.
add remove comments ~amcheck~, hope this helps :)

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
Mega Diancie's movepool may be somewhat limited, but when backed by high base Speed and attacking stats, it is able to propel Mega Diancie to the forefront of the Doubles metagame. Mega Diancie achieves solid mixed attacking coverage between two strong STAB attacks, with Earth Power filling in many of the few holes that are left. Using that coverage, Mega Diancie can take out many relevant threats such as Hydreigon, Heatran, Keldeo, and Mega Charizard Y. Perhaps Mega Diancie's greatest asset is found in its exclusive primary STAB move, Diamond Storm, which has everything a Doubles Pokemon could want: high Base Power, high accuracy, and a helpful secondary effect that gives some protection against physical attackers. Not only that, but Mega Diancie also has a superb ability in Magic Bounce, shielding it from moves that would otherwise severely hinder it such as Thunder Wave or and Will-O-Wisp.

Unfortunately, a low HP stat further offset by uninvested defenses and weaknesses to decently common types in Water and Ground leaves leave Mega Diancie somewhat frail. More specifically, a weakness to the omnipresent Landorus-T's Earthquake makes it difficult for Mega Diancie to perform as well as it could otherwise. Having a low base-speed base Speed prior to Mega Evolving also holds it back, forcing it to rely on Protect to Mega-Evolve Mega Evolve safely.

On the other hand, this low speed Speed lets Diancie possess a little bit of flexibility in using its base forme to operate as a Trick Room setter with far more bulk than its Mega counterpart. Utilizing both Clear Body and a powerful Diamond Storm lets this set thrive in sweeping unprepared teams. Still, However, Trick Room Diancie is hindered by the same critical typing weaknesses, as well as being countered by common Trick Room checks Amoonguss and Aegislash.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Diamond Storm is Diancie's main STAB move, dealing powerful spread damage while having a chance to boost Diancie's Defense.[full stop] boosting Diancie's Defense. This rock coverage, when combined with fairy in the form of Moonblast (covering Fighthing-Types) This Rock-type coverage, when combined with Fairy-type coverage in the form of Moonblast, which covers Fighting-types,[comma] leaves Diancie only walled by opposing Steel-types. Trick Room is a potent speed control move that gives Diancie's team the upper hand speed-wise for 4 four more turns, giving allowing Diancie and its teammates room to sweep. Protect, as always, is useful for avoiding opposing damage and maneuvering for a better position with Diancie's partner.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Attack and Stone Plate brings Stone Plate and 252 EVs in Attack bring Trick Room Diancie's Diamond Storm damage on par with Mega Diancie's, notably 2HKO'ing allowing it to 2HKO most neutral targets hits. Max Maximum HP EVs are is used to compensate Diancie compensate for Diancie's low base HP stat and to give it a respectable amount of bulk at the same time. While Stone Plate is preferred to avoid recoil damage, Life Orb can be used to give Diancie more damage output, notably having a better roll to ko KO defensive Thundurus while also boosting Moonblast enough to KO Keldeo with 108 spA evs - without Life Orb, Special Attack EVs—without Life Orb, however, there aren't any notable Special Attack benchmarks, and hence the standard spread has no Special Attack investment SpA. If using Life Orb, a spread of 152 HP / 248 Atk / 108 SpA should be used, as this guarantees a Life Orb number and hits the aforementioned SpA Special Attack benchmark.

Usage Tips
========

The only foes that resist your dual coverage is Steel-types: get rid of these immediately. The only foes that resist Diancie's dual coverage are Steel-types, so get rid of these immediately. More often than not,[comma] eliminating Aegislash or Jirachi early on grants Diancie a paved road to finish the game, so Diancie often works best mid-late game mid- or late-game when these threats are eliminated.

Defensively, Diancie brings many things to the table defensively that no other setter can do due to its unique Fairy-Rock Rock / Fairy typing. Take advantage of these unique good matchups - Talonflame, Kangaskhan, Thundurus, Hydreigon - for matchups—against Talonflame, Kangaskhan, Thundurus, and Hydreigon—for an opportunity to set up Trick Room, usually with Fake Out or redirection support. On the other hand, Diancie should do its best to avoid its difficult matchups, such as against opposing Steel-types, Rain rain sweepers and bulky Water-types, and Amoonguss.

Defensive boosts are also extremely useful: these can be used to easily tank and prevent a late-game Earthquake sweep after Trick Room goes down. Diancie's decent bulk also allows it to tank opposing Earth Power from Heatran, Kyurem-Black Kyurem-B, or Mega Diancie, as well as or Solarbeam Solar Beam from Mega Charizard-[hyphen]Y.

If you forsee a foe using Taunt to prevent Trick Room, Diancie possesses the option to simply use Diamond Storm as if you foresee a foe using uses Taunt (typically Thundurus, which is weak to Diamond Storm), potentially picking up KOs or dealing large amounts of damage.

Team Options
========

Diancie's team members should generally be geared towards dealing with its difficult matchups. Especially notable are attackers that can deal with steels Steel-types such as Volcanion, Scrafty, Heatran, Mega Camerupt, and Hoopa-U and ground immunities Ground-immune Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Latios, and Hydreigon Mega Charizard-Y, and Latios/Hydreigon. In addition,[comma] checks to opposing Water-types such as Dragon-types, (RC) and Grass-types (Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur Venusauar), or and Mega Charizard-[hyphen]Y,[comma] as well as Fairy checks in the form of Aegislash, Heatran, or and Bronzong, (AC) are needed.

Fake Out and redirection are two forms of support Diancie greatly appreciates for setting Trick Room; this can take the form of Scrafty or and Mega Kangaskhan for provide Fake Out, (AC) and Amoonguss or and Jirachi for provide [repetition] redirection. Scrafty and Amoonguss both are both very good for supplementing Diancie's weaknesses to Steel-types and Water-types, respectively.

Other Options sentence:
Trick room Diancie can get utilize Weakness Policy to gain boosts after taking a SE hit, but the only SE hits that won't OHKO Diancie are Earth Powers and Earthquake, and Weakness Policy significantly reduces your damage and drops several 2HKOs. Trick Room Diancie can utilize Weakness Policy to gain boosts after taking a super effective hit, but the only super effective hits that won't OHKO Diancie are Earth Power and Earthquake, and Weakness Policy significantly reduces Diancie's damage output and drops several 2HKOs.

However, Trick Room Diancie is hindered by the same critical typing weaknesses, as well as being countered by common Trick Room checks,[comma] Amoonguss and Aegislash.
adding this comma makes the following information disposable

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
AMCHECK:
This will not count as one of the two required checks unless it is stamped by an official GP member.

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma

Mega Diancie's movepool may be somewhat limited, but when backed by high base Speed and attacking stats, it is able to propel Mega Diancie itself (Mega Diancie propels Mega Diance?) to the forefront of the Doubles metagame. Mega Diancie achieves solid mixed attacking coverage between two strong STAB attacks, with Earth Power filling in many of the few holes that are left. Using that coverage, Mega Diancie can take out many relevant threats such as Hydreigon, Heatran, Keldeo, and Mega Charizard Y. Perhaps Mega Diancie's greatest asset is found in its exclusive primary STAB move, Diamond Storm, which has everything a Doubles Pokemon could want: high Base Power, high accuracy, and a helpful secondary effect that gives some protection against physical attackers. Mega Diancie also has a superb ability in Magic Bounce, shielding it from moves that would otherwise severely hinder it such as Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp.

Unfortunately, a low HP stat further offset by uninvested defenses and weaknesses to decently common types in Water and Ground leave Mega Diancie somewhat frail. More specifically, a weakness to the omnipresent Landorus-T's Earthquake makes it difficult for Mega Diancie to perform as well as it could otherwise. Having a low base Speed prior to Mega Evolving also holds it back, forcing it to rely on Protect to Mega Evolve safely.

On the other hand, this low base Speed lets Diancie possess a little bit of flexibility in using its base forme to operate as a Trick Room setter with far more bulk than its Mega counterpart. Utilizing both Clear Body and a powerful Diamond Storm,(AC) lets this set thrive thrives in sweeping unprepared teams. However, Trick Room Diancie is hindered by the same critical typing weaknesses, as well as being countered by common Trick Room checks such as Amoonguss and Aegislash. (I don't play doubles, but I'm very confused here. You were talking about Mega Diancie, but then you started talking about regular Diancie, and now the set below is just with regular Diancie. What was the point of talking about Mega Diancie then?)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Diamond Storm is Diancie's main STAB move, dealing powerful spread damage while having a chance to boost Diancie's Defense. This Rock-type coverage, when combined with Fairy-type coverage in the form of Moonblast, which covers Fighting-types,(RC) (not needed. It's obvious what fairy type moves are strong against, and its super effective against more than just fighting anyway) leaves Diancie only walled by opposing Steel-types. Trick Room is a potent speed control move that gives Diancie's team the upper hand speed-wise for four more turns, allowing Diancie and its teammates room to sweep. Protect is useful for avoiding opposing damage and maneuvering for a better position with Diancie's partner.

Set Details
========

Stone Plate and 252 EVs in Attack bring Trick Room Diancie's Diamond Storm damage on par with Mega Diancie's, notably allowing it to 2HKO most neutral targets. Maximum HP EVs are used to compensate for Diancie's low base HP stat and to give it a respectable amount of bulk. While Stone Plate is preferred to avoid recoil damage, Life Orb can be used with a spread of 152 HP / 248 Atk / 108 SpA to give Diancie a Life Orb number and more damage output, notably having a better roll to KO defensive Thundurus while also boosting Moonblast enough to KO Keldeo with 108 Special Attack EVs.(end sentence) —(remove semicolon) (the sentence was made overly complicated, so I just split it up. It's much clearer now) without Without Life Orb, however, there aren't any notable Special Attack benchmarks, and hence the standard spread has no Special Attack investment. If using Life Orb, a spread of 152 HP / 248 Atk / 108 SpA should be used, as this guarantees a Life Orb number and hits the aforementioned Special Attack benchmark. (I included this in the sentence discussing the Life Orb. Otherwise, it was kind of awkward to repeat what you mentioned before. The sentence that is now last is a better conclusion too.)

Usage Tips
========

The only foes that resist Diancie's dual coverage are Steel-types, so get rid of these immediately (very strange wording - it sounds too demanding...). More often than not, eliminating Aegislash or Jirachi early on grants Diancie a paved road to finish the game, so Diancie often works best mid- or late-game when these threats are eliminated.

Defensively, Diancie brings many things to the table that no other setter can due to its unique Rock / Fairy typing. Take advantage of these unique good matchups—against Talonflame, Kangaskhan, Thundurus, and Hydreigon— (I don't understand the "—" at all. If it's the coding for an em dash than just keep it. However, I have one right here:) for an opportunity to set up Trick Room, usually with Fake Out or redirection support. On the other hand, Diancie should do its best to avoid its difficult matchups, such as against opposing Steel-types, rain sweepers,(AC) and bulky Water-types, and Amoonguss.

Defensive boosts from Diamond Storm (?) are also extremely useful,(AC):(remove colon) as these can be used to easily tank and prevent a late-game Earthquake sweep after Trick Room goes down. Diancie's decent bulk also allows it to tank opposing Earth Power from Heatran, Kyurem-B, or Mega Diancie, as well as Solar Beam from Mega Charizard Y.

Diancie possesses the option to simply use Diamond Storm if you foresee a foe using using Taunt (typically Thundurus, which is weak to Diamond Storm) (This isn't really needed but it's fine), potentially picking up KOs or dealing large amounts of damage.
(Two things. One, why is this last paragraph here when almost every Pokemon can predict a taunt and use an attacking move. Furthermore, why is this split into four paragraphs?)
Team Options
========

Diancie's team members should generally be geared towards dealing with its difficult matchups. Especially notable are attackers that can deal with Steel-types such as Volcanion, Scrafty, Heatran, Mega Camerupt, and Hoopa-U and Ground-immune Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Latios, and Hydreigon. In addition, checks to opposing Water-types such as Dragon-types Dragon-(add hyphen) and Grass-types (Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur), and Mega Charizard Y (is Mega Charizard Y a separate threat or is it a check to Dragon and Grass types? This is very unclear so I can't change anything), as well as Fairy checks in the form of Aegislash, Heatran, and Bronzong, are needed.
(If Mega Charizard Y is a separate threat, then change this to: "In addition, checks to opposing Water-types such as Dragon- and Grass types... and Fairy checks in the form of..., are needed. Furthermore, checks to Mega Charizard Y such as (blah blah) are beneficial." If it isn't, include it in the list with the other Dragon and Grass checks)

Fake Out and redirection are two forms of support Diancie greatly appreciates for setting Trick Room; Scrafty and Mega Kangaskhan provide Fake Out, whereas Amoonguss and Jirachi supplement Diancie with redirection. Scrafty and Amoonguss are both very good for supplementing dealing with (reduce repetition) Diancie's weaknesses to Steel-types and Water-types, respectively.

Other Options sentence:
Trick Room Diancie can utilize Weakness Policy to gain boosts after taking a super effective hit, but the only super effective hits that won't OHKO Diancie are Earth Power and Earthquake, and Weakness Policy significantly reduces Diancie's damage output and drops several 2HKOs.

Some parts of this analysis confused me, and there were some sentences that were awkward due to over complication, but overall it was well-written.

AMCHECK
I was halfway into making this when Fireflame posted his. I understood this better than he did, so I think mine is still worth posting.
remove add comments
Mega Diancie's movepool may be somewhat limited, but when backed by high base Speed and attacking stats, it is able to propel Mega Diancie to the forefront of the Doubles metagame. Mega Diancie achieves solid mixed attacking coverage between two strong STAB attacks, with Earth Power filling in many of the few holes that are left. Using that coverage, Mega Diancie can take out many relevant threats such as Hydreigon, Heatran, Keldeo, and Mega Charizard Y. Perhaps Mega Diancie's greatest asset is found in its exclusive primary STAB move, Diamond Storm, which has everything a Doubles Pokemon could want: high Base Power, high accuracy, and a helpful secondary effect that gives some protection against physical attackers.(It's also able to hit both opponents, it you want to mention that) Mega Diancie also has a superb ability in Magic Bounce, shielding it from moves that would otherwise severely hinder it such as Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp.

Unfortunately, a low HP stat further offset by uninvested defenses and weaknesses to decently common types in Water and Ground leaves Mega Diancie somewhat frail. More specifically, a weakness to the omnipresent Landorus-T's Earthquake makes it difficult for Mega Diancie to perform as well as it could otherwise. Having a low base Speed prior to Mega Evolving also holds it back, forcing it to rely on Protect to Mega Evolve safely.

On the other hand, this low base Speed lets Diancie possess a little bit of flexibility in using its base forme to operate as a Trick Room setter with far more bulk than its Mega counterpart. Utilizing both Clear Body and a powerful Diamond Storm lets this set thrive in sweeping unprepared teams. However, Trick Room Diancie is hindered by the same critical typing weaknesses, as well as being countered by common Trick Room checks Amoonguss and Aegislash.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Diamond Storm is Diancie's main STAB move, dealing powerful spread damage while having a chance to boost Diancie's Defense. This Rock-type coverage, when combined with Fairy-type coverage in the form of Moonblast, which covers Fighting-types, (comma) (I'd say that's rather obvious) leaves Diancie only walled by opposing Steel-types. Trick Room is a potent speed control move that gives Diancie's team the upper hand speed-wise for four more turns, allowing Diancie and its teammates room potential to sweep. Protect is useful for avoiding opposing damage and maneuvering for a better position with Diancie's partner.

Set Details
========

Stone Plate and 252 EVs in Attack bring Trick Room Diancie's Diamond Storm damage up to on par with Mega Diancie's, notably allowing it to 2HKO most neutrally damaged targets. Maximum HP EVs are used to compensate for Diancie's low base HP stat and to give it a respectable amount of bulk. While Stone Plate is preferred to avoid recoil damage, Life Orb can be used to give Diancie more damage output, notably having a better roll chance to OHKO defensive Thundurus while also boosting Moonblast enough to KO Keldeo with 108 Special Attack EVs—(space)without Life Orb, however, there aren't any notable Special Attack benchmarks, and hence the standard spread has no Special Attack investment. If using Life Orb, a spread of 152 HP / 248 Atk / 108 SpA should be used, as this guarantees a Life Orb HP number and hits the aforementioned Special Attack benchmark.

Usage Tips
========

The only foes that resist Diancie's dual coverage are Steel-types, so get rid of these immediately. More often than not, eliminating Aegislash or Jirachi early on grants Diancie a paved road to finish the game, so Diancie often works best mid- or late-game when these threats are eliminated.

Defensively, Diancie brings many things to the table that no other setter can due to its unique Rock / Fairy typing. Take advantage of these unique good matchups—against Talonflame, Kangaskhan, Thundurus, and Hydreigon— (semicolon) for all can provide an opportunity to set up Trick Room, usually with Fake Out or redirection support. On the other hand, Diancie should do its best to avoid its difficult matchups, such as against opposing Steel-types, rain sweepers, (comma) and bulky Water-types, and Amoonguss.

Defensive boosts (from Diamond Storm, right? In that case, change this to "Defense boosts from Diamond Strom") are also extremely useful:; (colon) (semicolon) these can be used to easily tank and prevent a late-game Earthquake sweep after Trick Room goes down. Diancie's decent bulk also allows it to tank opposing Earth Power from Heatran, Kyurem-B, or Mega Diancie, as well as Solar Beam from Mega Charizard Y.

Diancie possesses the option to simply use Diamond Storm if you foresee a foe using using Taunt (typically Thundurus, which is weak to Diamond Storm), potentially picking up KOs or dealing large amounts of damage.

Team Options
========

Diancie's team members should generally be geared towards dealing with its difficult matchups. Especially notable are attackers that can deal with Steel-types such as Volcanion, Scrafty, Heatran, Mega Camerupt, and Hoopa-U, (comma) and Ground-immune Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Latios, and Hydreigon. In addition, checks to opposing Water-types such as Dragon-types, (comma) and Grass-types (Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur), (if you're giving Grass-type examples, why not also Dragon-types?) and Mega Charizard Y, as well as Fairy checks in the form of Aegislash, Heatran, and Bronzong, are needed.

Fake Out and redirection are two forms of support Diancie greatly appreciates for setting Trick Room; Scrafty and Mega Kangaskhan provide Fake Out, whereas Amoonguss and Jirachi supplement Diancie with redirection. Scrafty and Amoonguss are both very good for supplementing compensating for Diancie's weaknesses to Steel-types and Water-types, respectively.

Other Options sentence:
Trick Room Diancie can utilize Weakness Policy to gain boosts after taking a super effective hit, but the only super effective hits that won't OHKO Diancie are Earth Power and Earthquake, and Weakness Policy significantly reduces Diancie's damage output, (comma) and drops preventing several 2HKOs.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
copied cryo's check on the final paragraphs basically verbatim, good work there

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
Mega Diancie's movepool may be somewhat limited, but when backed by high base Speed and attacking stats, it is able to propel Mega Diancie to the forefront of the Doubles metagame. Mega Diancie achieves solid mixed attacking coverage between two strong STAB attacks, with Earth Power filling in many of the few holes that are left. Using that coverage, Mega Diancie can take out many relevant threats such as Hydreigon, Heatran, Keldeo, and Mega Charizard Y. Perhaps Mega Diancie's greatest asset is found in its exclusive primary STAB move, Diamond Storm, which has everything a Doubles Pokemon could want: high Base Power, high accuracy, and a helpful secondary effect that gives some protection against physical attackers. Mega Diancie also has a superb ability in Magic Bounce, shielding it from moves that would otherwise severely hinder it such as Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Diamond Storm is Diancie's main STAB move, dealing powerful spread damage while having a chance to boost Diancie's Defense. This Rock-type coverage, when combined with Fairy-type coverage in the form of Moonblast, which covers Fighting-types, leaves Diancie only walled by opposing Steel-types. Trick Room is a potent speed control move that gives Diancie's team the upper hand speed-wise for four more turns, allowing Diancie and its teammates room to sweep. Protect is useful for avoiding opposing damage and maneuvering for a better position with Diancie's partner.

Set Details
========

Stone Plate and 252 EVs in Attack bring Trick Room Diancie's Diamond Storm damage on par with Mega Diancie's, notably allowing it to 2HKO most neutral targets. Maximum HP EVs are used to compensate for Diancie's low base HP stat and to give it a respectable amount of bulk. While Stone Plate is preferred to avoid recoil damage, Life Orb can be used to give Diancie more damage output, notably having a better roll to KO defensive Thundurus while also boosting Moonblast enough to KO Keldeo with 108 Special Attack EVs—without Life Orb, however, there aren't any notable Special Attack benchmarks, and hence the standard spread has no Special Attack investment. If using Life Orb, a spread of 152 HP / 248 Atk / 108 SpA should be used, as this guarantees a Life Orb number minimizes Life Orb recoil and hits the aforementioned Special Attack benchmark.

Usage Tips
========

Defensively, Diancie brings many things to the table that no other setter can due to its unique Rock / Fairy typing. Take advantage of these unique good matchups—against Talonflame, Kangaskhan, Thundurus, and Hydreigon—for an opportunity to set up Trick Room, usually with Fake Out or redirection support. On the other hand, Diancie should do its best to avoid its difficult matchups, such as against opposing Steel-types, rain sweepers and bulky Water-types, and Amoonguss.

Defensive boosts are also extremely useful: these can be used to easily tank and prevent a late-game Earthquake sweep after Trick Room goes down. Diancie's decent bulk also allows it to tank opposing Earth Power from Heatran, Kyurem-B, or Mega Diancie, as well as Solar Beam from Mega Charizard Y.

Team Options
========

Diancie's team members should generally be geared towards dealing with its difficult matchups. Especially notable are attackers that can deal with Steel-types such as Volcanion, Scrafty, Heatran, Mega Camerupt, and Hoopa-U and Ground-immune Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Latios, and Hydreigon. In addition, checks to opposing Water-types such as Dragon-types, (AC) and Grass-types (Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur), and Mega Charizard Y, as well as Fairy checks in the form of Aegislash, Heatran, and Bronzong, are needed.

Fake Out and redirection are two forms of support Diancie greatly appreciates for setting Trick Room; Scrafty and Mega Kangaskhan provide Fake Out, whereas Amoonguss and Jirachi supplement supply Diancie with redirection. Scrafty and Amoonguss are both very good for supplementing compensating for Diancie's weaknesses to Steel-types and Water-types, respectively.

Other Options sentence:
Trick Room Diancie can utilize Weakness Policy to gain boosts after taking a super effective hit, but the only super effective hits that won't OHKO Diancie are Earth Power and Earthquake, and Weakness Policy significantly reduces Diancie's damage output, (comma) and drops preventing several 2HKOs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)