Disconnecting in Global Link matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience. The percentages of disconnections is highest among American players.

But I have noticed that. Whenever I face a play from Italy and Germany (which is more rare) I ALWAYS get disconnected when I'm about to win.

Japanese players however, some of them quit. But others. I remember this one person who I won against, didn't DC and I got her on the 2nd match up again. I won again, and she still didn't DC.

Sometimes it is possible to predict if a person will DC or not just by seeing their team preview. Tho who uses 'good pokemons' or very common teams. are most likely to rage quit. While those with more rarely used pokemons or original teams does not DC. (This is just from what I have experienced)

People using aron in their team are almost guaranteed DCers. I think, every of them I faced and won against Dcd on me.

-

There was this once I couldn't accept getting DCd on.
The person I played against got like, burn hax, freezehax and crit hax on me. Even hit me with a 1hit KO move on a pokemon I just sent in. I got really unlucky, but managed to turn the match. The retard quit when I was about to win. I was really mad. :x

It's been days since I've had a recorded (non-DC) battle...
Wait, no that was the wrong term.
Make that MONTHS.

What times do you guys play? I play all the time :P

My peak times are in the morning around 8:30 to 9:30, sometimes later near 11, then spotty through the afternoon. I can't believe you've had that many quitters... For me it's around 50-50 (which is of course not optimal either).

What kind of team are you using, OVERGRO?

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Is it just me, but i peaked a week ago at 1753 in doubles, and haven't played much so i'm still near that at 1740, but all my battles recently are d/c and a few good battles. I check on GBU website and it shows my rating but i don't have a ranking on the website. Am i the only one with this problem on the gbu website

My morning battling went pretty poorly today, but I left with a pretty funny story.

My Regigigas, Scarf Hydreigon, and CB Escavalier against his confused Landorus (lost its Scarf) and weakened Rotom-W. Gigas and Landorus were whittling each other down with Return and Earthquake, and I was prepared to revenge it with Hydreigon. My opponent then used Outrage and quit right after.

@soul survivor:: How did you get such a high ranking? I don't mean strategy wise (although I suppose you could share that), but avoiding D/C wise. I hate to sound cocky, but I think my ranking should be A LOT higher than the 1600s it is in right now. The problem, of course, is that 88% of my battles go unrecorded due to D/Cs.
Also, regarding your problem with the website, you need to have at least 10 battles in any tier in order to be placed in the standings, so make sure you have that.

@Tenodera: I don't use gimmick teams, not because I don't like them, just because I don't have the will or energy to make them, so most of my teams are goodstuffs teams. (Which I have heard people tend to D/C on more...) I envy your 50-50 ratio.

Just so you guys know - if you battle someone named Andy with 474 wins in Doubles, disconnect on them if they're about to win. I beat their rain team of Kingdra/Jellicent/Hydreigon/Azelf (which Exploded first turn) by using my Sun team of Ninetales/Cherrim/Moltres (from XD with Morning Sun)/Starmie.

Edit: Actually, everyone I've fought so far has disconnected, not just him.

Okay, so I just came back from a battle with a Japanese player with 1000+ wins. I had my Eviolite Gligar wall her Arcanine, and finish Electivire with Chandelure. (Actually the Life Orb recoil to Electivire was what settled the match.) And guess what? D/C. C'mon, a person with 1000+ wins, and a Japanese no less, should have enough pride to take the loss.
I <3 Gligar.

I always try to use greetings that make fun of rage quitters. Stuff like "CONNECTION is WEAK, right?" My current phrase is "After all, it's CONNECTION LOSS, right?"

To get a ranking on the page you need to get at least 10 battles.

Last week, I had a battle against a guy that had like 2360 wins in single free mode (no kidding). I was about to win 3-0 with an Anti-Lead Empoleon and a Scarfed Garchomp. I used Outrage and he d/c.
Well...I think it doesn't feel good to have so many wins and get beaten by someone with only 20 wins =P.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I wouldn't be surprised if someone with 1000+ disconnects, to be honest. The game's been out for a while now and they had a lot of time to rack up on wins.

...I've finally found a reason to disconnect. Someone (with 26 wins) used Speed Boost + Baton Pass Blaziken on me today (yes, Randmatch allows that apparently...), and managed to set up a +3 Atk / +4 Speed Dragonite. Frankly I believe the guy doesn't deserve the win, for using something (relevant) outside of every possible method available in game.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone with 1000+ disconnects, to be honest. The game's been out for a while now and they had a lot of time to rack up on wins.

...I've finally found a reason to disconnect. Someone (with 26 wins) used Speed Boost + Baton Pass Blaziken on me today (yes, Randmatch allows that apparently...), and managed to set up a +3 Atk / +4 Speed Dragonite. Frankly I believe the guy doesn't deserve the win, for using something (relevant) outside of every possible method available in game.
I have one of those SB-BP Blazikens from a Jolly Baton Pass Torchic a Japanese player traded to me, I never use it though. I always hate when people bring teams suited for like, the finals of a tournament into Free mode. One doesn't gain anything from winning, so why bring a completely-serious boring team? When I use Mixtar, I use Bastiodon, Relicanth, Armaldo, etc. along with it. Unfortunately, I'm forced to carry CB Terrakion and LO Excadrill to fend off the Scizor/Ferro/Rotom-W/etc teams.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Funny you mention that heh. I, too, try to have as much fun as I can in randmatch. However, the Pokemon I favor fortunately (unfortunately?) end up being overused. That's okay though, I try to improvise the sets so it'd fit me better.

However, I do wish to mention that winning is of course, part of the fun, so it's easy to see why people want to use only the strongest. Some people wish to have bloated me up to my current team.win records - and that's what they consider fun. Let them be. As for myself, I will admit I combine the casuality and the competitive aspect of this, and that's what set. Personally, I am not a big fan of very situational and semi-predictable gimmicks because of PBR - people would attempt to use gimmicks to beat down Uber trainers and Youtube them and it just ticks me off (both players do. Oh and the youtube comments don't help either), so instead I'd generally bring my Uber team and stomp those silly Pachirisus or Beautiflies for my own amusement. I'd totally abuse Ubers if they were allowed here lol.

I met about 12 people with 1000+ wins and two of them have more than 2000 wins, only two of them didn't dc on me. I have 50 wins now and got a star.

The problem apparently is that they can't tell which player disconnected.

I don't fully understand the mechanics, but I think the way it works is the server is only used to find matches and record battle results (hence the need to communicate with the server afterwards.) The battle itself is a peer-to-peer thing that does not happen on the server itself.

Lots of games that have the multiplayer on the server itself (Halo, ect.) can tell when someone disconnects because the other person is still connected to the server. If one person disconnects in GBU, however, the server just gets an ambiguous message that SOMEONE disconnected.

Again, this might not be entirely accurate, but it is my understanding of how the GBU works.

The problem apparently is that they can't tell which player disconnected.

I don't fully understand the mechanics, but I think the way it works is the server is only used to find matches and record battle results (hence the need to communicate with the server afterwards.) The battle itself is a peer-to-peer thing that does not happen on the server itself.

Lots of games that have the multiplayer on the server itself (Halo, ect.) can tell when someone disconnects because the other person is still connected to the server. If one person disconnects in GBU, however, the server just gets an ambiguous message that SOMEONE disconnected.

Again, this might not be entirely accurate, but it is my understanding of how the GBU works.
yeah, the game only sends the outcome of the battle after the battle, but it does know that the battle is going on during the battle.

If you come across a scientist girl named "Eira" (about 1270 wins); forfeit as soon as the battle starts, trust me. Her greeting is "I never miss SURRENDER. It's part of what I do every day." and she forfeited on the first turn against my "R/S starters & legendary dogs" team. It seems to me like she's trying to get as many losses as possible, like 10,000 or such.

Just posting this here because I also have to say, I played about 15 Double battles yesterday and every one of them disconnected, except for one - which happened to be the best battle of the day. It was 20 turns, and I tried out Recover P-2 + Mimic Shuckle/Regice, and that strategy is very viable. Unfortunately, it was against an ingame team, although they haxed my Regice to death before it could get off a Recover. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)