Disconnecting in Global Link matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh, I was thinking about just getting the rating to a good point and switching to Free battles... Would be a shame though as my win/loss count is pretty much all in rated.

I'm currently facing about twice as much disconnectors on Free compared to Rated. Seriously, I only had 2 people disconnect on me on the latter (one of which happened at the beginning of the battle), while half of my battles on Free ended with a connection loss. I'm at 1666 rating on Singles if anyone wonders. I play in the mornings (GMT +2), so Japanese are pretty much the only people I ever face.

Isn't free the matches where your rating isn't affected? Why would anyone d/c on those matches?
That is why. People test their teams in Free before they get serious and use it in rated battles. If the team obviously isn't working, no need to waste your time battling with garbage.

There are plenty of players who play Free Mode exclusively, and still disconnect simply because they don't want their loss count to go up, even though nobody else can see it. People really are just that petty.

Has anyone else noticed that they'll get the D/C notice before they even see their opponent? It's been happening to me since the very beginning, but I never really thought about it for more than a minute. Do the other players see my team several seconds before I see theirs, then D/C in that time?

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That may be a failing on the part of your internet connection, if you don't even see them and you've lost the connection. Unless you're sure it's not, I'd take all precautions to make the signal as strong as possible.

I don't disconnect when that happens, so I figure it isn't that. It just returns me straight to "Do you want to look for a battle?" when it happens.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
How common is this phenomenon? About 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 of all your matches? If it's a relatively low ratio, then it's reasonable to conclude that your opponent's connection is bad for some reason.

EDIT: Jibaku discussed this with me and the situation also might be if you connected to an opponent who just decided to quit from randmatching. It's highly unlikely the opponent sees your team before you see theirs.

It has happened, in something like 1300 matches, at least 25-40 times. Not super-common, but not rare, either. It doesn't bother me, only I became curious about it after having it happen recently, when I suddenly realized that this had happened all the time, and that I had no logical explanation for it. I figured it happened to everyone. It couldn't be due to faulty connection on my side; I played most of my matches at a place where the connection was basically flawless and NEVER disconnected me from wifi, and it still happened at the same rate.

I just remembered something that I feel is important. Once or twice when I've tried to press 'B' to stop the game from searching for a match for whatever reason, it's not stopped, and a few seconds later I got a match. Not that this is ground-breaking info--it takes a second to load the encounter over wifi--but it does make me think that there is a relatively wider space for something to "disconnect" the then-loading match than I previously thought. I don't know how wide it is, maybe five seconds, but it seems that there is a space where the player could exit wifi.

I couldn't take it and I disconnected today against what I assumed was a hacked Dugtrio. 1st turn he DOUBLE CRIT FLINCHES ME with Rock Slide. Next turn I switch one of my pokemon, and he flinches the one I had left again. I couldn't take it and DQed. I'm not making it a habit though.

I couldn't take it and I disconnected today against what I assumed was a hacked Dugtrio. 1st turn he DOUBLE CRIT FLINCHES ME with Rock Slide. Next turn I switch one of my pokemon, and he flinches the one I had left again. I couldn't take it and DQed. I'm not making it a habit though.
You honestly can't get "hacked" pokemon into the Random Wi-fi. Believe me, I have tried to get my DW chandy in there multiple times. You can't hack the luck stat either, that guy was just having an incredibly lucky match and you totally killed it for him. That's something I'd save for the records, show off on YouTube, and laugh about with other people in astonishment. :D

You honestly can't get "hacked" pokemon into the Random Wi-fi. Believe me, I have tried to get my DW chandy in there multiple times. You can't hack the luck stat either, that guy was just having an incredibly lucky match and you totally killed it for him. That's something I'd save for the records, show off on YouTube, and laugh about with other people in astonishment. :D
Hey what if he was playing against kaphotics who hacks the Battle RNG.

That reminds me of yesterday, I tried a new team. I ended up going against a guy named POKER, with 243 wins. To give an idea of how poorly he played, he started with a dual Latios/Latias, and used Dragon Pulse on Scizor twice. He had a Porygon-Z who used Tri-Attack several times on Tyranitar, even after it had status'd T-tar, and *then* decided Ice Beam was a better choice. And that same Porygon-Z? It managed to freeze both my Scizor and my Tyranitar with Tri-Attack (Yeah, it used it against them both). I wouldn't ordinarily be this bothered, or share something like this, but this was really the only time I have ever, once time has passed and I'm back in a reasonable state of mind, actually regretted not disconnecting on someone.

Still, if my team had been above-average, I wouldn't have even gotten to that point. Back to the drawing board...

It's possible to be paired up against someone with illegal egg movesets on the GBU. Like a Whimsicott with both Beat Up and Encore for instance. If you don't beleive me, check the Double Battle Metagame thread, page 3. Also, it was a ranked match, and he was several hundred points below me, so I didn't want a Double Crit/flinch to kill my ranking.

I once had a rotation battle against a Linoone with Extremespeed, Belly Drum and the ability Gluttony (for the Sitrus Berry) - which I since discovered was illegal... so some can get away with it!

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
It's possible to be paired up against someone with illegal egg movesets on the GBU. Like a Whimsicott with both Beat Up and Encore for instance. If you don't beleive me, check the Double Battle Metagame thread, page 3. Also, it was a ranked match, and he was several hundred points below me, so I didn't want a Double Crit/flinch to kill my ranking.
The GBU hack checker doesn't check for illegal movesets, but it is impossible to hack the battle RNG in GBU so that Rock Slide will crit/flinch. That's ludicrous.

I once had a rotation battle against a Linoone with Extremespeed, Belly Drum and the ability Gluttony (for the Sitrus Berry) - which I since discovered was illegal... so some can get away with it!
Linoone can perfectly well use Extremespeed, Belly Drum, and Gluttony by trading from Pokemon Box.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Jus yesterday I was in doubles. I had starmie and hitmontop out. He had latios and metagross. I used wide guard and he used explosion. Ah he quitted sooo quickly.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You have to trade it to a 4th gen game as a zigzagoon and evolve it in the fourth gen game, the ability can then change into gluttony. And the Pokemon Box linoone with extremespeed is actually given to you as a zigzagoon in an egg from the Pokemon Box.

Ok, that's quite interesting. Yes, I know about Box, I have it myself... I'll have a Zigzagoon with Extremespeed myself sitting around somewhere back in my hometown, haha.

I just got D/C'd on by a 450+ win, four star Japanese player.

He led with a Meinshao, I with a Scarfed Nidoking.

Uturns with a crit, to Ludicolo who took an ice beam like it was nothing.
I switch to Rotom - W and he Hydro pumps drains me to half HP. (a little under)
I (stupidly) use Hidden Power fire, thinking I'll survive the next hit and get to pain split the damage away.
He Giga Drains, and I lose Rotom - W.
I switch Scizor in, and swords dance(I'm thinking I could at least take whatever Ludicolo uses, and that I'll need one SD to U-turn kill it) when he switches to Slowbro (not sure why he did this)
I u-turn, leaving his Slowbro at 1hp (the red bar honestly looked like he had used a Focus Sash, but there was no message as I recall)

I bring Nidoking in, slowking stays in so I use Fireblast thinking he might switch to ludicolo in case I thunderbolt, slowking down two to go.

Ludicolo comes in, Nidoking uses Fire Blast, Ludicolo goes down.

Meinshao is brought in, and promptly Hi-Jump-Kicks me down to 23 HP
I, of course, (thanks scarf) Fire blast and leave him with half HP. -_-;

He kills Nidoking and D/C's when Scizor is brought out.

:/

---
In the very next match a Japanese player with 700+ wins forfeit after HE Fire Blasts my Scizor.
He still had a Uxie with 90% HP (paralyzed)
Gengar with (40 - 50%) HP
and a Nidoqueen with 20% HP

He got my scizor as I was (greedily, I totally forgot Nidoqueen carried fire blast, even though I just used a Nidoking the previous match to Fire Blast my way to a win ((sorta)) ) swords dancing,

So I brought out Porygon 2 on the next turn and Ice beamed (He'd seen me use it before in the match when Porygon an Gengar were sizing each other up. I missed a chance to T-wave him when he used Disable (He had been using sub over and over ((Even once when he already had the sub up!)) so I figured I was going to lose this match to him later on since most Gengar carry Focus Blast [He didn't use it erlier though!] )

Then he forfeit.
His Nidoqueen still alive, and 2 other pokemon to back it up.

All I had was a half killed Porygon 2, and a Gliscor that'd taken a shadow ball from Gengar. It was a suprisingly short match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)