Disney Vault

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Disney Vault

Introduction:
Hi Smogon! This is my first NU RMT. For a while now I've been trying to get better at NU. After getting tutored, I didn't do much in the tier for a while so I decided to try and sharpen my skills and get more involved in the community by laddering. I build a team and it did pretty well on the ladder, but a near-identical team was posted the same day. Anyways, I built this team to try and get a better understanding of NU and to introduce myself to the NU community and show I'm not complete trash as a player. It peaked 6th at 1863 on the alt Bambi, and currently it's 12th at 1821 following some mistakes on my part (also couldn't stand to ladder any more). Here's the peak for those of you who care. This team was a lot of fun to play and has some pokemon that I really like, and hopefully I can get some rates that'll help bolster its performance even further. The name Disney Vault comes from the fact that this team was centered around the mighty SD Bambi after seeing people talk about it in the Viability Ranking Thread. Anyways, onto the team:

The Team

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave

This thing is probably my favorite pivot in the tier. Its main role is to prevent stuff like Swellow, Braviary and Cinccino from destroying the team, as well as being a reliable Stealth Rock setter. I originally had a Carracosta here to form a FWG core, but after a few matches it became apparent that Carracosta's tank set was too weak to dish out powerful hits, so I replaced it with Regirock and never looked back. The EVs are pretty standard and are to allow it to retaliate with strong hits after coming in on something, with the remaining 4 going into speed to creep 0 Speed Regirock. EdgeQuake is there for its phenomenal coverage, SR is still one of the best moves in the game, and Thunder Wave is in the last slot because this team is fairly slow, so a well-timed paralysis can help stop a threat that might otherwise rampage through this team.

Garbodor @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

Other than being the poster child for bad 5th Gen Pokemon design, this is also an important part of the team, and Bambi's partner in crime. I like to think of it as the Deoxys-D of NU. It's the best layer of Spikes in the tier, which is great since at +2, Sawsbuck can 1HKO Amoonguss trying to switch in with 2 layers of Spikes on the field, and also has decent defensive synergy with Sawsbuck, resisting the Fighting-Type moves that it is weak to, while Sawsbuck resists Ground-Type moves for Garbodor. The offensive set was chosen for this team so that it could actually hurt things and do stuff other than Spike while maintaining decent bulk. An Adamant Nature lets Garbodor 2HKO Golurk w/ Seed Bomb, which is great since it could potentially do a good amount of damage to this team and because I don't need to outspeed Absol with it. Gunk Shot is a strong (if not always reliable) STAB, Drain Punch lets it hit stuff like Probopass, and Seed Bomb takes care of things like Seismitoad and Golem. Aftermath can also come in handy at times to help get that last bit of damage on a weakened sweeper.

Emboar @ Choice Band
Trait: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Head Smash

Flat out, this thing's a nuke. Any time it gets a free switch, something's gonna die, especially with hazards from Garbodor, and getting one isn't too hard thanks to its good bulk and typing. it was chosen for this team to break down walls and allow one of my sweepers to clean up a weakened team. I usually lead with this thing, since it can deal heavy damage to common leads such as Piloswine, Probopass, Regirock, etc. The EVs are standard and give it as much speed and power as possible. Jolly is used over Adamant so I can outspeed and KO Absol with Superpower, allowing it to easily eliminate it so it can't threaten Musharna later in the match. It's especially useful so I can avoid being taken out by the rare but still deadly Psycho Cut. Flare Blitz and Superpower are there so that Emboar has two good STAB moves (Flare Blitz is also useful to help get Emboar into Blaze range). Wild Charge hits Alomomola, and is a guaranteed 2HKO after SR and a layer of Spikes, and Head Smash hits Altaria and Lampent, as well as scoring a SE hit on Fire-Types such as Torkoal and killing Armaldo, which prevents both of them from spinning away my hazards.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Trait: Sap Sipper
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Return
- Nature Power

Bambi, the heather-stepper and team destroyer, as well as the threat this team was build around. This thing is pretty amazing, and can steam-roll through teams after a SD boost thanks to its Speed and great coverage. Thanks to Sap Sipper it can switch in on stuff like Leech Seed or Giga Drain and score a free +1 to its Attack (it can come in on Amoonguss's Spore too but that's not recommended unless its weakened since if it's healthy it can live through a +1 Return and hit you with a SE Sludge Bomb). The EVs are made to allow it to cleave through teams, with a Jolly nature to make the most of its fantastic speed. Horn Leech is a great STAB move that lets it offset the recoil from Life Orb and gain HP to prolong its sweep. Return is its 2nd STAB move and is chosen over Double-Edge to avoid recoil, which is good when trying to break through things like Amoonguss. The extra power isn't very important since Regirock and Garbodor are both good at providing hazard support to help it net more KOs. Nature Power gives it a way to hit Steel-Types and lets it avoid having its sweep ended by a Sucker Punch from Absol/Skuntank. This is also useful as it can easily beat them so Musharna won't have to worry about being trapped.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Musharna is an amazing Pokemon and important part of my defensive core. I originally has a Rotom-S here for a secondary revenge killer, but I switched to a Musharna so I'd have a better check to Fighting types (Garbodor will often die too early to be the team's only check), a second physical wall as well as a cleric, and something that could be an emergency check to some physical sweepers. This is incredibly useful for a few reasons. Something like Gurdurr or Sawk could previously pose a heavy threat to this team, and Gurdurr could end a Sawsbuck sweep with its Mach Punch. Also, status could cause things such as Sawsbuck and Regirock to be crippled, making Musharna even more valuable. The only downside of this mon is that Dark-Types can take it out, but the two most common trappers can be taken out with Emboar and Sawsbuck. The EVs are standard, with 16 Speed being to outspeed Amoonguss and the rest poured into bulk and physical defense (the stat not boosted by CM). 0 Atk IVs are to minimize confusion and Foul Play damage on the off-chance I run into one of these. Calm Mind lets it boost its Special Attack and Special Defense at the same time, easily transforming it into a bulky sweeper. Psychic acts as its STAB move and only attack, and does good damage to most things. Moonlight allows it to heal off damage from attacks, and makes it form an even better check to physical attackers than it would be. Heal Bell is to help heal status from the team and itself. Something else it's good for is acting like a pseudo-status move, as with Synchronize you can send a burn/poison/paralysis back to the opponent's mon and then get rid of it with Heal Bell.

Absol @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Night Slash
- Superpower

Absol helps patch up a number of weaknesses with the team. First, it helps Sawsbuck and Musharna out alot due to it being able to Pursuit trap Psychics and Ghost types that could put a halt to their sweeps. Also, its powerful STAB Sucker Punch lets it fill the role of revenge killer on the team, and lets it take out many powerful threats like Ludicolo and Cinccino. It was chosen over Skuntank for the added power, which makes it a much better revenge killer. EVs are standard, with an Adamant nature and Life Orb to give Absol as much power as possible. Sucker Punch lets it revenge kill or deal heavy damage to faster threats. Pursuit lets it trap Psychics and Ghosts as well as weakened opponents who may try to escape. Night Slash is a great STAB option that can be used when Sucker Punch would fail. It also has an excellent 25% chance to crit factoring in Absol's ability Super Luck. Superpower is used to let Absol hit Rock and Steel types like Probopass and Regirock super-effectively and gives it great neutral coverage.

Conclusion:
This team has tested pretty well and has been fun to play, serving to improve my skills as well as helping to expand my knowledge of the tier. This team is weak to things though such as Haunter, whose SubDisable set messes this team up and forces me to play mind games with Absol, and opposing Spike-Stacking teams, since Garbodor can easily set up a few layers of Spikes against this team, hurting its ability to switch around and check threats. Fast threats in general can be tricky, but usually you just have to play conservatively with Absol when you see one in Team Preview. Anyways, I'd love to get some feedback on it, so feel free to rate, hate, luvdisc, etc.

Shoutouts:
This'll be pretty small since I'm still fairly new to the community, but w/e. Mainly wanted to give one to DTC for being an awesome tutor and helping me not suck at this tier (which im sure was pretty difficult). Also I'm pretty sure it was him who told people to post in the Viability Thread about Bambi, without which I probably wouldn't have made this team. The 2nd shoutout goes to everyone else involved in the tier for being friendly, nice and otherwise cool people, and for making various thread that made this team much easier to build than it otherwise would've been for me. Hopefully I'll get to know more of you better as time goes on. Also credit to Agent Dell since his RMT inspired the formatting for this one.

Importable in case you're interested in using the team:
Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave

Garbodor @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

Emboar @ Choice Band
Trait: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Head Smash

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Return
- Nature Power

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Absol @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Night Slash
- Superpower

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Ludicolo and Samurott can give this trouble since they outrun and do serious damage to most of your team. Running a spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe with a Jolly nature on Garbodor solves this problem as it can now outrun the aforementioned Pokemon and hit them extremely hard with Gunk Shot.

Gorebyss is in the same boat as Samurott and Ludicolo, but it is arguably more dangerous since it can boost its speed, making Absol your only option against it if it can set up. The increasingly common Substitute Shell Smash set will be able to beat Absol handily and can set up on Regirock if you try to paralyze it, as well as Garbodor. The only foreseeable solution to this is to run Choice Scarf Sawsbuck over your current set. This allows you to revenge kill Gorebyss as long as it doesn't have a Subsitute up. It will also help against Swanna, which is also a huge problem to this team.

Summary of changes:

40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe spread with Jolly nature on Garbodor
Sawbuck —> Choice Scarf set

Garbodor @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spikes

Sawsbuck @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Horn Leech
- Nature Power
- Wild Charge

No fixes, just a rate. I really like the use of things I don't see very often, not the star of the show 'Bambi', but CB emboar, I think it's such an underrated Pokemon and it's great to see someone else singing its praises.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey Audiosurfer, I like this team. I'm a bit disappointed you don't have Skuntank as your Flower, but that's just for aesthetics anyways.

FLCL gave you some decent suggestions, but I have a couple that can really help ease a few more of your weaknesses. The first would be to switch Earthquake on Regirock with either Drain Punch for recovery, or Ice Punch for some coverage against Golurk and other Ground types that trouble your team. Also, if you take FLCL's suggestion about Choice Scarf Sawsbuck, you can afford to give up Thunder Wave in order to put Toxic on Regirock to counter SubBU Braviary more effectively.

I would also recommend a Jolly nature on Absol due to the increase in Timid Ludicolo. Also, being able to outpace the standard Drifblim is great, since it can Will-o-Wisp you to avoid Pursuit. My final suggestion would be to trade Drain Punch for Rock Blast on Garbodor. You really shouldn't be staying in on opposing Steel types in the first place, and you have Seed Bomb for a stronger hit on most Rock and Ground types. Rock Blast will help you deal with SubDisable Haunter much more effectively, and helps against other frail Sub users as well. Being able to beat SubQD Butterfree is just a nice plus (since it can actually sweep you pretty easily by setting up on current Regirock, current Garbodor, Choice Locked Sawsbuck, & weakened Superpower Emboar)

Changes:

Regirock: Ice Punch>Earthquake; Toxic>Thunder Wave
Absol: Jolly Nature>Adamant Nature
Garbodor: Rock Blast>Drain Punch

It's a shame you don't have Skuntank, though that'll just bring your Ground weakness to terrible levels. (It's also a shame that Lopunny isn't that great). Still, your team is pretty well rounded and it can handle what threatens it well enough. Good luck and I hope I helped! :pimp:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)