DPP UU Do it good Brutus [UU]

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Take a look at them Brutus

This team here has served me very well for the time I've used it. It's a heavy offense team that simply tries to hit as hard as possible and as fast as possible, abusing U-turns from Scyther and Mesprit to keep the momentum on my side on a 'Scout and Hit'-like strategy.

Most team members have the capacity of putting some serious hurt on anything that switches in, providing I predict correctly. Of course, since I can't always trust I'll be outpredicting my opponent, I have my tools to make my moves the less prediction-dependant possible. This is especially important since as I have 4 choice users.

Sorry if I don't get into much detail in my descprition, I try my best to explain everything, but sometimes people seem like when completely obvious stuff are explained... well I don't do that >.>

And now time to meet them...

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 56 HP / 216 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Trick
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Stealth Rock

Mesprit is an extremely reliable lead. It beats most leads one-on-one without much trouble, sets up Stealth Rock and, if alive, gives me a great alternative later in the game for dealing with threats such as Adamant DD Feraligatr, Specs Yanmega, Moltres, Blaziken, etc.

It's main role is getting Stealth Rock down, and sometimes I might even sacrifice him for that (damn Yanmega leads). Mesprit was choosen over Uxie mostly because Uxie can't OHKO those new Roserades that run defensive EVs for Dugtrio.

Overall, Mesprit is a great lead, that can also be used to good effect later in the game. It fits the team perfectly thanks to the decently strong U-turn, which allows me to scout and act accordinly, and also due to Trick, which is sadly one of my best options to deal with bulky waters.

My EVs make it so that I outspeed Modest Scarfed Roserade and Timid Electrode, OHKOing the former and Tricking the later in order to only get 5 turns of rain instead of 8.

Tauros (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Double-edge
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Payback

Changed the nature to Adamant in order to get the much stronger hit on threats such as Milotic and Slowbro. Sometimes I do miss outspeeding Mismagius, but other then that I outspeed everything else I did with Jolly.

Tauros is indispensable to the team. Everyone knows how hard it hits, and not much stuff can take repeated attacks from it: even Slowbro risks being 2HKO'd by a Double-Edge.

It pairs perfectly with Houndoom, who is easily the best Pursuiter in tier in my opinion. Intimidate makes this thing incridebly bulky.. hell people talk about how bulky Kangaskhan is, but Tauros is even more bulky physically. So why Tauros over other normal-types? Well, it's a lot faster then Kangaskhan and a lot bulkier the Ambipom/Swellow.

Without the speed advantage over Kangaskhan I wouldn't be able to check/revenge a lot of threats I rely on Tauros too (SD Drapion, Specs Yanmega, etc). Without the bulky over Ambipom/Swellow I wouldn't be able to use it as a check for Feraligatr, Nidoqueen, SD Venusaur, etc.

Double-Edge and Frustration might seem odd, but both are needed. Frustration is the recoil-free, sweeping move while Double-Edge is only used in specificy cases, such as when I know a Slowbro is switching in, or against opponents such as Feraligatr, who is OHKO'd by Double-Edge after SR.

Scyther (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Quick Attack

Heavy hitter number 2. Scyther is incridebly underrated, and especially good with Donphan who can spin away those rocks easily, and switch with impunity in everything that can wall Scyther.

Scyther's strong U-turn is the key to this team success, it eases prediction and put me in a win-win situation everytime Scyther comes in, which is not as hard as one might think. Consecutive U-turns rapidly wear down things such as Milotic and Donphan who think they can wall me.

Scyther serves as my main check to fighting and physical grass-types, easily OHKOing them all with Aerial Ace while 4x resisting their STAB moves. Quick Attack and Brick Break complete the set, giving me priority which is key against weakened Rock Polish Torterra, or Speed Boosted Yanmega and coverage against Rock and Steel-types if needed.

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Double-edge
- Superpower

Changed the EV spread to outspeed Clefable and Weezing.

Azumarill is my third heavy hitter and with its incridebly powerfull priority, the team just wouldn't be as good without it. It's my best answer and first switch into most fire types, and I also normally switch it into Milotics, threatening the 2HKO with Double-Edge, while taking around 35% from the HP Grass.

There is not much to talk about it when you all know how and why it works. I choose to forgo Ice Punch for Superpower simply for better coverage: the ability to hit Registeel and Milotic very hard with the same move eases prediction quite a lot.

Those 20 Speed EVs make me outspeed just about all others base 50's.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 176 HP / 244 Atk / 88 Spd
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin
- Roar

Edited with new EV spread that makes me outspeed Clefable.

Donphan, together with Houndoom, hold the team together. It's the one who takes the most hits, and my spinner of choice. Despite being primarly seen as a defensive wall, Donphan can hit like a truck. Doing over 30% to the likes of Milotic and Slowbro.

I originally had Assurance for ghost-types, but in the end I opted for Roar. Roar is an incridebly usefull move on Donphan, it has saved my ass a dozen times, and I love it even if it's just to get that little extra Stealth Rock damage on their bulky waters.

I admit that the current EV spread is very random and pretty bad. At first it had specific purposes, but I messed with it a lot since the team creation that I have no clue what everything there is for: if anyone can suggest me a good EV spread i'd appreciate, but I might just go with Max Atk, near Max HP and 20 Spd.

Houndoom (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 156 Atk / 224 Spd / 128 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

Houndoom makes Tauros' and Donphan's jobs so much easier. This scary Hellhound here is what makes the team work, Pursuiting then Rotoms and Mismagius with little to no trouble (especially against defensive variants).

I rarely want max speed to be honest, enough for Rotom is.. enough. This is because Houndoom doesn't have exactly great offensive stats, so I need to make the most out of it.

Fire Blast is what sets Houndoom apart other Pursuiters such as Drapion, Absol and Honchkrow, as it OHKO's Steelix and scares off Registeel. Dark Pulse was choosen over Crunch just for Slowbro, in case you are wondering.

Hope you enjoyed it!

This is the team I've been using with great sucess, but I'm pretty sure it can be improved, especially at dealing with bulky waters and Yanmega.

It got me to #1 in the ladder (B IS FOR BRUTUS - 1776.5392 as of 01/09/09).

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Threat List

Defensive Roserade:
4/6 of my team outspeeds it and everything can OHKO it, so it's rarely a problem. Mesprit is almost always my initial switch.

Offensive Roserade:
It appears to be quite threatening as I can't safely switch on it, but when you consider it also can't switch on anything of my team, it's not that bad. Should it find a way to get in play, Mesprit is again my initial switch as a sacrifice for Houndoom Pursuit.

Registeel:
Donphan is the perfect switch-in, taking everything Registeel can throw at it easily, and Roaring Curse versions if needed. Houndoom can hurt it badly, Mesprit Trick is there if I need to and Azumarill's Superpower nearly OHKO's. Scyther's Brick Break and Tauros Earthquake can do some damage if I really need to.

Defensive Mismagius: Houndoom beats defensive variations 100% of the time, I have to be somewhat carefull with Will-o-Wisp if Houndoom is dead, but generally everything except Donphan will beat it.

Offensive Mismagius: Houndoom has a good shot against those, and will win if it carries Thunderbolt. If it has HP Fight, it comes down to my guessing with Sucker Punch. Everything except Donphan and maybe Mesprit beats it one-on-one so it's not much trouble.

Defensive Milotic: Normally Azumarill is my first switch-in. Milotic can be annoying depending on how it's played. Azumarill, Tauros and Scyther can all 2HKO it and Mesprit is capable of ruining it via Trick. It mainly causes trouble if it comes for free, such as on a Donphan Ice Shard / Rapid Spin or after Houndoom Pursuits something.

Offensive Milotic: This are easier to handle due to the fact it can't take a hit at all, and most of my team outspeeds it. Even an Azumarill Waterfall nearly 2HKO's and Donphan's Earthquake does over 50%.

Uxie: I have to be somewhat carefull with Thunder Wave, but it can't take repeated hits from anything on my team. Scyther hurts it pretty badly with U-turn and so does Houndoom dark moves.

Yanmega: Give me a heavy offense team that has no troubles with Yanmega and I'll gladly use it. My insane amount of priority moves make Speed Boost versions doable, while Specs versions are slower then Scyther, Tauros and Mesprit (if it still has the Scarf). Obviously a pain to switch into if it comes on Mesprit or Donphan.

Blaziken: Well, Blaziken is slow, so it's doable. Azumarill is generally my first switch and a great revenge killer. Mesprit can beat it if I switch on the correct moves and the same goes for Scyther. Priority makes the faster Agility versions cry.

Hitmontop: Between Mesprit, Donphan and Scyther im pretty safe against Hitmontop. Not a threat at all.

Ambipom: Despite being somewhat weak to it it never caused much trouble, due to Donphan's and Tauros' bulk combined with priority from Azumarill, Houndoom and Scyther. For lead versions I can either take the Fake Out and U-turn to Donphan or straight switch to Donphan / Tauros.

Azumarill: It takes some guessing to get around it, especially CB versions.
For those I'll hit it as hard as I can with whatever is on and revenge accordingly. Oddly enough Sub Punch versions love to switch on Donphan and they always lose one-on-one due to the lack of waterfall.

Defensive Rotom: Houndoom kill it easily. Not a threat at all to be honest. Worst case Houndoom is dead and I'll just have to hit it as hard as I can with Tauros Payback, Azumarill Waterfalls and even Scyther U-turns can do some decent damage.

Offensive Rotom: Choiced Versions eventually lose to Houndoom or can be worked around with Tauros and Donphan. Sub Charge loves to switch on Donphan only to get Roar'd, they also can't beat Houndoom easily and are revenged by Tauros if needed.

Defensive Drapion: Donphan is a good counter, possibly spinning away the Toxic Spikes. Sometimes I might double-switch Houndoom on the obvious ghost that is comming to block spin.

Offensive Drapion: Donphan is again a good counter, and Tauros becomes a great check aswell, thanks to Intimidate and being able to OHKO with Earthquake.

Clefable: It can't wall anything except for maybe Houndoom. Even Donphan most of the time 2HKO's. If I'm suspicious of a Mixed variation trying to kill Donphan, Mesprit is a good check thanks to Trick.

Spiritomb: Most of the times it try to block spin from Donphan, and as it takes 45% from the Earthquake it quickly switches out. My whole team except for Mesprit can beat it one-on-one, with Houndoom being a great counter.

Arcanine: Azumarill is my best check against it. Donphan doesn't like to take Flare Blitz, but can work if I'm desperate. Tauros and Scyther can revenge.

Absol: Donphan is a good initial switch-in, Scyther can do some decent damage with Quick Attack while avoiding Sucker Punch. Tauros can survive even a SD'd Sucker Punch thanks to Intimidate.

Steelix: Donphan is a perfect counter, and Azumarill and Houndoom can OHKO. Sometimes I find myself Tricking it with Mesprit as Roar can be annoying.

Defensive Torterra: It can be quite annoying, but since most lack Stone Edge, once I find out its defensive Scyther is a safe switch. Houndoom can OHKO but obviously can't switch in.

Offensive Torterra: It's pretty hard for it to Rock Polish against me, and if it does, Donphan can revenge with Ice Shard + the Wood Hammer recoild. Azumarill, Houndoom and Scyther have priority in case I need it.

Slowbro: I really need to Trick it or it can be insanely annoying. Other then that I just try to hit it as hard as possible with Azumarill and Tauros Double-Edges, Scyther U-Turn untill I can get Houndoom safely against it. Dark Pulse from Houndoom almost OHKO's, but if I'm feeling luck I might Pursuit it for 50%~ damage so it can't wall my team anymore.

Toxicroak: Mesprit and Donphan are decent checks. Tauros can revenge SD versions while Scyther revenges NP ones. Azu can hit it for an OHKO with Double-Edge if I can predict the switch.

Claydol: Azumarill, Houndoom and Scyther can OHKO it, Tauros 2HKO's and Mesprit can take off around 35% of its health with U-turn. Not a threat at all, despite coming safely against Donphan all the time.

Swellow: Can be insanely annoying. Luckily Donphan's Ice Shard does a lot of damage, and with Poison it's not going to last much. My priority attacks can help a lot against it.

Chansey: Anything but Houndoom?

Defensive Altaria: It kinda walls Houndoom and can take Waterfalls from Azu, but it doesn't matter. Tauros, Scyther and Donphan can all 2HKO it.

Offensive Altaria: Donphan is a good bet for DD variants, but the very rare Specs might OHKO. Just hit it as hard as possible and it shouldn't be threatening.

Moltres: Moltres can be a bitch, but thankfully Azumarill can revenge and Mesprit (if Scarfed), Scyther and Tauros will outspeed for the KO.

Espeon: Specs versions have to be predicted around and eventually get Pursuited by Houndoom, it's fraility means it's not much trouble for me. Mesprit is a nice switch-in due to the strong U-turn. Priority helps here if all else fails.

Physical Sceptile: SD versions with Rock Slide can be annoying, but again, priority helps. If Mesprit is Scarfed when it comes out it's a good bet.

Special Sceptlie: Sacrifice Mesprit to the Leaf Storm and Pursuit with Houndoom mostly like. Heh, it works...

SubSeed Sceptile: Mesprit is good here again thanks to U-turn. It normally gets worn down pretty fast to the point where my priority is very usefull.

Venusaur: Scyther is great against SD versions, 4x resisting Grass with an immunity to Earthquake. Specs can be annoying, but everything on my team hits it pretty hard and almost everything outspeed.

Hitmonlee: Mesprit and Scyther, mostly. Donphan can take one hit and OHKO it back aswell, and Tauros works for those Choiced on non-fighting attacks.

Houndoom: Azumarill is a decent counter, my faster hitters (Scyther and Tauros) can all revenge decently.

Feraligatr: Tauros can switch in, survive the DD'd Waterfall and OHKO with Double-Edge. Azumarill is also a good check for the same reasons. Priority can help if it manages to set up say, 2 Dragon Dances.

Weezing: It can be somewhat annoying, switching on Donphan with impunity. Houndoom makes quick work of it however, and repeated hits from Azumarill and Tauros will bring it down.

Dugtrio: It's absolutely useless against my team, unless it can guess around Houndoom's Sucker Punch with Substitute or something. Lots of priority + bulk of Donphan, Tauros and Mesprit makes Duggy cry.

Regirock: Donphan is the perfect counter really. Earthquaking for a lot of damage and spinning the rocks. Scyther's U-turn does decent damage here, and so does Houndoom's Dark Pulse. Azumarill can OHKO with Waterfall.

Hariyama: Like all fighters, combination of Mesprit, Scyther and Donphan in order to beat it. Can be threatening, but it's too slow to kill more then one poke.

Lanturn: It kinda walls Houndoom, and Thunder Wave can be annoying. Normally I let Mesprit take the Thunder Wave, and U-turn safely to anything else as the rest of my team beats it no problem.

Blastoise: Much like all bulky waters really, except it has no recover. Keep beating it down with Tauros, Scyther and Azu and eventually it goes down.

Defensive Tangrowth: This is a bitch, especially the 252HP/252Def+ versions, as they wall my whole team bar Houndoom and Scyther. Normally I try to get Houndoom in and Pursuit it for 25%~ damage so it can't switch on CB Double-Edges anymore.

Offensive Tangrowth: Sunny Day offensive versions are almost as annoying, due to the bulk which makes priority almost unnafecting. Luckily Mesprit can take one hit and U-turn for decent damage, and from there I can Sucker Punch / Ice Shard it or something.

Donphan: Azumarill is my best way of dealing with this. Repeated U-turns from Scyther and Frustrations from Tauros eventually wear it down also. Not a big threat.

Mesprit: Houndoom is a very good counter, but I have to get it paralyzed more often then not. The best thing to do is let my Mesprit take the Thunder Wave, then U-turn to Houndoom or Scyther.

Miltank: If it gets a few curses it's very hard to take down. Luckily Donphan can Roar and Houndoom's Dark Pulse combined with a Superpower from Azumarill is enough to take it down.

Nidoking: Mesprit and Donphan can kill it without much problems. Worst case I revenge with Azumarill or Tauros.

Typhlosion: Houndoom can switch on Eruptions and Pursuit it from some nice damage. Azumarill is a good revenger, and so are my other priority users.

Rain Dance teams: You might have noticed I didn't include any Rain Dance sweeper. That's because I don't have counters to them, isntead I have a different gameplay against Rain Dance teams.
Firstly, I Trick the Electrode lead to get his Damp Rock. This means I either get Taunted or they have 5 turns of rain. Either way, I'll U-turn the next turn (yes, I forgo Rocks even if I can use then) and try to keep the pressure on whatever came in, the goal is to avoid having Rain Dance set up at all costs.
If it's Raining, Azumarill is my best way to deal with those teams, Aqua Jetting everything but Ludicolo for massive damage. For Ludicolo, I'll sacrifice Donphan and hurt it with Sucker Punches from Houndoom or Quick Attacks from Scyther.
I pretty much never lose to Rain teams playing like that, despite an apparent weakness.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good team, saw this in action for a bit and your right Yanmega does give you problems. I really don't have much to add because I assume this is a display team but if you want some room for improvement. I think, having Milotic over Azumarill might help soften up Yanmega's blows. It also balances out your physical and special attackers.

Milotic
@ Life Orb
Modest Nature (SpA+ / Atk-)
220 SpA / 232 SpD / 56 Spe

- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass
- Recover

Yanmega is broken, its hard to fit in an offensive Pokemon to handle Yanmega, but this thing can sort of check it. The EV spread is a slight variation from the originial Life Orb set. Basically, you scratch out Life orb for Leftovers to improve the chances of surviving from Yanmega. A Timid Yanmega Specs will deal 42.60% - 50.15% with Bug Buzz on the current EV spread. 56 Spe helps outpace Adamant Torterra, as well as Jolly Marowak. 220 SpA ensures you stay intact with your offensive mindset. Water / Grass / Ice is good coverage overall. Hidden Power Grass help deal with opposing bulky waters as Grass deals a maximum of 65.99% on Milotic, enough to 2HKO it. With SR down you have a 46.15% chance of OHKO on Slowbro with HP Grass. Blaziken is no problem as Mesprit already beats Blaziken if you predict Superpower right. A bit random but this might looses up the choice users to lessen predictions.

On Donphan try 52 HP / 252 Atk / 202 Def / 6 Spe. 20 Spe is not really required because your spinning and not attacking Azumarill which is what the 20 Spe is really for. This set currently gives Donhpan a good way to spin and cushion threats like SD Toxicroak and such. Im iffy with Roar over Assurance, but you got it to #1 so it must be effective. overall gl.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
Funny you mention Milotic as I originally had it over Azumarill (but it was a faster variation). I got better resulsts with Azumarill, but I will be trying a more bulky Life Orb Milotic there.

About the Donphan spread, I'm not sure if the higher physical bulk makes up for the lesser special bulk. I use Donphan as a general tank, so I'm not too worried about specific walling things such as SD Toxicroak. Those 20 Spe EVs were so I could spin before Regirock/Registeel explode on me, which they do a lot simply to avoid a spin. I'll do some calculations and try to get a better EV spread for my Donphan.

This looks like quite a good team, and I'm sure you play it well too.

There is one possible solution I see for your slight Roserade and Slowbro problems though. I think maybe using a Roserade of your own could help quite a bit, and I think it fits decently over Houndoom. You can easily fix the lack of Pursuit problem with putting it on Tauros. Roserade is specially bulky enough to switch into any of Slowbros attacks, even Psychic.

I'd recommend the Life Orb variant that I run so that you have the same (or more) power that you had with Houndoom, but you could always use Spikes since you do run Roar on Donphan. Roserade also lures in Registeel, which gives Azumaril and Donphan free switch-ins.

Roserade also helps with Tangrowth.

------------

Another option is to try and run SubCharge Rotom in your last slot. It works surprisingly well, and will deal with Slowbro and help with Yanmega in more ways then one (help keep stealth rock while also being able to revenge kill Yanmega).

---

These are only suggestions if you really feel you need them, but this team looks quite prepared for everything.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is a very nice team, you are a bit weak to Rain Dance teams though. I've beaten you twice pretty easily with mine. Obviously sometimes you can play around it with all the priority you have. Not really much I can think to change to deal with that though as a weakness to Rain Dance teams is probably worth the nice synergy you have.

Ludicolo alone OHKOs your entire team with Rain boosted Surfs or Energy Balls and the only thing you have that'll take it out is a revenge with Houndoom's Sucker Punch, which is setup bait for a SD Kabutops who wrecks your team with SD/Rain Aqua Jets and Stone Edges.

Toxic Spikes and status in general cause you a lot of trouble too. If Donphan switches in to spin them, he gets poisoned then you have a drastically weakened spinner who is essential for the scout strategy you use. If a wall like Registeel comes in on an easily resisted hit then T-waves one of your sweepers, he drastically cuts their effectiveness. Burns completely neuter this team with the sole exception of Houndoom.

Houndoom would seem the one to logically replace as he's not one of your choice users, but without him, Mismagius can come in to block Rapid Spin then cripple one of your sweepers with WoW.

Support Roserade with Sleep Powder/Aromatherapy/Sludge Bomb/Leaf Storm (or Synthesis if you want to keep her around) and a LO would probably be your best bet over Houndoom. Absorbs Toxic Spikes, burns don't hurt it much, Sleep Powder can take care of annoying WoWers while Aromatherapy lets you fix any status problems your sweepers may have. Sludge Bomb hits Tangrowth and most others for at least decent damage. LO Leaf Storm would continue the offensive tempo of your team while Synthesis would make Roserade a better supporter.

The problem is that still leaves you weak as hell to RD, which can only really be beaten by severely outplaying them, luck, or restructuring the team drastically.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
This is a very nice team, you are a bit weak to Rain Dance teams though. I've beaten you twice pretty easily with mine. Obviously sometimes you can play around it with all the priority you have. Not really much I can think to change to deal with that though as a weakness to Rain Dance teams is probably worth the nice synergy you have.
I don't know exactly who you are but I'm sure I don't have a negative record against any Rain Dance team.

Edit: Nevermind, it's BlueBasket :P
I actually have a positive record against your team, but like I said it makes me think a lot and it's only about keeping the pressure on so I manage to avoid you even setting up RD.

This looks like quite a good team, and I'm sure you play it well too.

There is one possible solution I see for your slight Roserade and Slowbro problems though. I think maybe using a Roserade of your own could help quite a bit, and I think it fits decently over Houndoom. You can easily fix the lack of Pursuit problem with putting it on Tauros. Roserade is specially bulky enough to switch into any of Slowbros attacks, even Psychic.

I'd recommend the Life Orb variant that I run so that you have the same (or more) power that you had with Houndoom, but you could always use Spikes since you do run Roar on Donphan. Roserade also lures in Registeel, which gives Azumaril and Donphan free switch-ins.

Roserade also helps with Tangrowth.

------------

Another option is to try and run SubCharge Rotom in your last slot. It works surprisingly well, and will deal with Slowbro and help with Yanmega in more ways then one (help keep stealth rock while also being able to revenge kill Yanmega).

---

These are only suggestions if you really feel you need them, but this team looks quite prepared for everything.
I'll give a try to the suggestion of Roserade over Houndoom, slapping Pursuit on both Tauros and Scyther.

The SubCharge Rotom I don't know where it could fit, I guess you are suggesting it as another option over Houndoom? If that so I could try it, as it does sound decent.

For some reason I doubt you got to #1 on the ladder with just that team considering how weak you are to RD. Ludicolo alone OHKOs your entire team with Rain boosted Surfs or Energy Balls and the only thing you have that'll take it out is a revenge with Houndoom's Sucker Punch, which is setup bait for a SD Kabutops who wrecks your team with SD/Rain Aqua Jets and Stone Edges.

Toxic Spikes and status in general cause you a lot of trouble too. If Donphan switches in to spin them, he gets poisoned then you have a drastically weakened spinner who is essential for the scout strategy you use. If a wall like Registeel comes in on an easily resisted hit then T-waves one of your sweepers, he drastically cuts their effectiveness. Burns completely neuter this team with the sole exception of Houndoom.

Houndoom would seem the one to logically replace as he's not one of your choice users, but without him, Mismagius can come in to block Rapid Spin then cripple one of your sweepers with WoW.

Support Roserade with Sleep Powder/Aromatherapy/Sludge Bomb/Leaf Storm (or Synthesis if you want to keep her around) and a LO would probably be your best bet over Houndoom. Absorbs Toxic Spikes, burns don't hurt it much, Sleep Powder can take care of annoying WoWers while Aromatherapy lets you fix any status problems your sweepers may have. Sludge Bomb hits Tangrowth and most others for at least decent damage. LO Leaf Storm would continue the offensive tempo of your team while Synthesis would make Roserade a better supporter.

The problem is that still leaves you weak as hell to RD, which can only really be beaten by severely outplaying them, luck, or restructuring the team drastically.
About Rain Dance teams, I have a glaring weak if Rain Dance is set-up, so I try to avoid it the most I can, via Trick, U-turn, etc. And also most Rain teams fall pretty badly to CB Aqua Jets as soon as Ludicolo dies (which is not hard considering it's normally the first sweeper to switch in, and the 'weakest' against priority). Also if Kabutops tries to get smart and SD on Houndoom it'll take 70%~ from a Dark Pulse as I always just sacrifice it.

About status, it's nowhere near as bad as you making it seem like. Donphan can switch on Registeel all day long and take the Thunder Wave or whatever, and Azumarill barely minds a Paralysis. If both are dead I'll let Mesprit take the Thunder Wave, and safely U-turn to Houndoom (like I said I do many times on the threat list..). Every Will-o-Wisp user is Houndoom bait: Spiritomb, Rotom, Mismagius, Weezing.. Dusclops? I think that's it unless it's some gimmick Solrock or a surprising Arcanine.

About Roserade, I'll give it a try.

EDIT: And yes I got to 1st using pretty much only this team, when I came back to playing my account was still around 15th~ on the Leaderboard and after that I only used this team.

Yea sorry, I meant Rotom as another option over Houndoom, as both would soften up different weaknesses without actually changing the team too much.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
Heh, the Roserade or Rotom didn't work nowhere near good as I expected, the team relies to much on Houndoom eliminating those threats it just can't work as good without it :/

Also a bump!

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey Dekzeh, I've played against this team a few times(lol remember Tauros' Super Luck?), and would like to help improve it.

Problems: Rain Dance, Regibro, Yanmega.

Solution: There's nothing more for Yanmega than what you already have.

Rain Dance has been explained already.

So, Regibro. Occasionally Regibroltres. This defensive core seems to be taken care off, but an intelligent user can ensure that you have a tough time against this core. If Moltres gets a sub on, say, Azumarills -1 Superpower, you're in a bit of trouble. It can use Toxic at its leisure, and then it can get in a Flamethrower before the sub breaks. Rinse and repeat. Plus it can Pressure stall.
Slowbro is also quite a bitch. You basically depend on it not being able to Slack Off in time for it to be overwhelmed. However, if it's one on one with Houndoom, then Pursuit does lol% damage, and Dark Pulse doesn't KO. Either way, you have a dead dog.
Not to mention that Slowbro completely owns Donphan. And can outlast Azumarill.

To fix this, it really seems that Rotom is a great choice for the team. It can beat most ghosts(although you have to put more pressure on opposing Spiritomb) and makes light work of Slowbro and Moltres. Scarf Rotom, this is.
It also helps with the slight Rock Polish Torterra weak. I'd put it over Houndoom.

Hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)