Do not be afraid to ask for hack checks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
If anything they should be checking everyone's game as they are entering the first round, it would save time if they have more than one person doing the checking.
I think they should be able to do it.

At our unofficial tournaments (Pokémon in Paris), we hack check everyone's game (64 players) as soon as they register, and we do random checks during the tournament to make sure that no one change their team during the swiss rounds.

So if with our very limited hardware we're able to do it, I think they should be able to do it.

Hmm... Do you think it's a dick move to ask the judges to hack check every match? I think it's a good idea.

Why can't they just hack check before the battle? They could check after registration, and then hackers would be called out before they battled. This would mean more honest players could play in the tournament.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why can't they just hack check before the battle? They could check after registration, and then hackers would be called out before they battled. This would mean more honest players could play in the tournament.
It'd take a LONG time to hack check 768 people. Also, what's to stop them from swapping pokemon in the 2+ hours it'd probably take to hack check all 768 people?

It'd take a LONG time to hack check 768 people. Also, what's to stop them from swapping pokemon in the 2+ hours it'd probably take to hack check all 768 people?
They could hack check right before each match. Wouldn't that solve the problem? If they make those special DS's able to perform a hack check this wouldn't be a problem.

The device you put the chips in should (I know it doesn't) check automatically at least for obvious stuff (ivs don't add up). Oh well though ask for hack checks!!!!

I think there was a petition to get ride of the lottery. This year there is no lottery. Whether they changed it because of the petition or because they felt like it, shouldn't we start a petition for more hack checks.

It's not that hard to just call a hack check. People who are good at the game should know enough to know what kills and what doesn't. If you think your opponent hacked, call a hack check. The worst that can happen is you are wrong and you continue.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Newark's edition of Grade A BS:

48-94546-53798 My friend lost to a hacker.

Got Jacoba Berry?

-James
I can't see the video so I can't comment on whether or not the guy "hacked" another way (i.e. 255 EVs in every stat), but Jaboca Berry is on the list of legitimate berries for this year's VGC. Plus, Jaboca Berry was distributed in Japan, so there is a legitimate way to get one. This dude would pass the hack check unless he hacked some other way.

I can't see the video so I can't comment on whether or not the guy "hacked" another way (i.e. 255 EVs in every stat), but Jaboca Berry is on the list of legitimate berries for this year's VGC. Plus, Jaboca Berry was distributed in Japan, so there is a legitimate way to get one. This dude would pass the hack check unless he hacked some other way.
Jacoba Berry isn't released until the Celebi giveaway in the Zoroark movie, unless it was released in some special Japanese event.

But yes, the guy hacked in another game and sent it over, so his game came back green unfortunately.

-James

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Jacoba Berry isn't released until the Celebi giveaway in the Zoroark movie, unless it was released in some special Japanese event.

But yes, the guy hacked in another game and sent it over, so his game came back green unfortunately.

-James
It was released with Tanabata Jirachi.

There's also the fact that the battle video uploaded successfully. You'll typically get an error message if there's a hacked Pokemon in the battle. I know it at least catches illegal EV spreads and caught/hatched locations.

I agree...

The device you put the chips in should (I know it doesn't) check automatically at least for obvious stuff (ivs don't add up). Oh well though ask for hack checks!!!!
I don't know how I missed this comment.

THIS is exactly what must happen. These machines touch each and every cart before the battles even start. If hack-checking before the first round is the only way to weed out cheaters, then modifying these machines to permit checking seems be the first, best way to do this.

...that, and harsh penalties for those who do hack.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
The machines they use to battle look like they're just wired to have a wired "wireless" connection and send the battles to the TVs. Obviously I couldn't look inside of them, but I'd guess I'm right since they aren't in fact using them to hack check, and if they could they would. They're aware it's a problem and will work to find some way to fix it -- last year the big problem was people getting 0 chance to play, so they increased the player limit to 600% of what it was last year. This is also probably the last year that will use DPPtHGSS, and perhaps BW will have some better built in anti-hacking controls.

This is also probably the last year that will use DPPtHGSS, and perhaps BW will have some better built in anti-hacking controls.
This really would be the best way to go. Have it so that you can't even enter a link battle if something is wrong with your team.

There are still some problems with that, though. You can't completely future-proof it since the game changes with each new addition to the series. Some moves that would have been illegal on D/P were made legal on Plat via move tutors and whatnot, for example.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
This really would be the best way to go. Have it so that you can't even enter a link battle if something is wrong with your team.

There are still some problems with that, though. You can't completely future-proof it since the game changes with each new addition to the series. Some moves that would have been illegal on D/P were made legal on Plat via move tutors and whatnot, for example.
You can easily future proof it. They already do, to an extent. They require you use the newest version of the game. That deals with hosting issues(ie DP vs Pt hypnosis accuracy difference, for instance) and ensures everyone that plays spends $35~ for a new game :P If a new version of PBR comes out, that would solve virtually everything, imo. It'd be a lot more stuff for them to transport around, though.

Just so you guys know, Marriland is pissed off with all of you who have asked for hack checks just because you lost.
Eh, he can get over it IMO. Unless it's a total blowout or you already know that the opponent is legit I see no reason not to ask for a check. Too much crap flies under the radar otherwise.

TPCi should really insist that Game Freak build better constraints into Black & White itself. Even something as simple as preventing you from entering the link room if a party member has >510 EVs would go a long way to stopping the things that are difficult to detect in battle.

I am in Australia, but just something to say, doesnt everyone get a quick hack check, on stats and stuff? To see thing like this cant happen??
Really some guy maybe 11 years old started getting into pokemon, ad has no idea that the damage some hacker did was too much.
I reckon you should send an emal to the officials or something
Just a thought

In Birmingham, everyone in the finalist lounge was legit. Us british like to keep our pokemanz clean!

Anyway, I got checked in the queue, the professor asked to check somebody and everyone looked pussies at the concept so I just said "here, have mine" and considering I have a shiny shedinja in my team that isn't mine I would be more anxious I would've thought.. anyway so I came out clean.

I was tempted throughout the tournament to check people but I am still more focused on winning my matches rather then requesting to check. I don't think any of my opponent's had anything hacked so I was quite cool with my competition.

Us brit's keep it clean. ;)

Well said 645...

Eh, he can get over it IMO. Unless it's a total blowout or you already know that the opponent is legit I see no reason not to ask for a check. Too much crap flies under the radar otherwise.
The problem, I think, is that there is no justice for those who are cheated; there's only punishment for the cheaters.

If I spend hundreds of dollars on plane tickets, hotels, food, and the like to attend one or even multiple events, I need to know that my investment of time and money is protected by TPCi rules... and right now, I'm not protected.

I mean, if I lose my match right before the finalist's lounge, and the person who beat me moves on and fails the hack check, I still can't move on. I understand that the rules are still developing, but I believe that TPCi's goal should be to have 100% clean tourneys.

If Marriland can't be bothered to do his job, then perhaps he should seek other employment.

Yes! Exactly!

Marriland is doing his job, he just doesn't have time to hack check every player every round because the losers ask for hack checks with no evidence to indicate that the other player has been cheating. Just ask for a hack check if you believe something was amiss during the match, not on the off-chance that your opponent might be hacking.
The VGC's have improved every subsequent year, in very big ways. Last year saw increased events, this year saw increased participation, I just hope that next year sees the implementation of global hack-checking.

I've said this before on other sites: It's just awful for people who get cheated out of these tourneys... to invest so much time, money, and effort preparing for them, only to get cheated out... it's a gross injustice.

Right now, these events are run with published rules, and gameday warnings based on the honor system... and people still cheat. Until TPCi comes up with a better system, there is no other way to protect your investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)