Do you prefer newer or older games?

The fact is that we have had better post game content ever since emerald came around, yet people over inflate the content of Kanto and Mt silver to make the Johto games look better.

It's kind of a memetic thing, a phenomena where a bunch of people sing ad nauseum about a whole new region, without even realizing how little stuff there was to do there.

It's Nostalgia coated when people forget that the post game of PT had 60% more trainer battles than hgss had counting the remaches, nor the fact that most of Kanto content wasn't revisited at all.

Seriously, objectively the original and "remastered" post game of the Johto games was mediocre when compared to what followed it, yet people always blow it out of proportion, always.
Still is better than Gen VI or even most of Generation III. Honestly, I think some people get WAY to worked up when people like something that they don't that it makes them overhate it. Kinda like Pikachu to be honest.

Still is better than Gen VI or even most of Generation III. Honestly, I think some people get WAY to worked up when people like something that they don't that it makes them overhate it. Kinda like Pikachu to be honest.
Of you mean by walking tiles, yes Johto beat all the games, but content wise DP battle zone actually gives it a run for its money...even if it sucks when compared to Pt.

Esmerald had the first Frontier with a dedicated post game area, again, Esmerald didn't add much area wise, but the amount of stuff to do was miles ahead.

The sevii islands have about the same number of trainers, but they definitely have more side quests than Johto/Kanto had, even if it's remakes.

I'm not being an ass here, they where really the worst of all outside moving around.

Of you mean by walking tiles, yes Johto beat all the games, but content wise DP battle zone actually gives it a run for its money...even if it sucks when compared to Pt.

Esmerald had the first Frontier with a dedicated post game area, again, Esmerald didn't add much area wise, but the amount of stuff to do was miles ahead.

The sevii islands have about the same number of trainers, but they definitely have more side quests than Johto/Kanto had, even if it's remakes.

I'm not being an ass here, they where really the worst of all outside moving around.
No, I mean content. What did Ruby and Sapphire have? A handful of Legends and the bare bones Battle facility*. What did X and Y have? A handful of Legends and the bare bones Battle facility. What did Diamond and Pearl have? A handful of Legends, a few new routes, and the bare bones Battle facility. But with Johto? You get to revisit Kanto, see how it had changed over three years, battle eight more gyms (including updated teams for six of the old leaders), then after you do that, you can battle Red, the original PC! And with Crystal, you get the addition of the Battle Tower and with HeartGold and SoulSilver, you get a whole Battle Frontier**! And that's on top of a handful of Legends to catch.
Are there better post-games? Yeah, but to act like the Johto games had the worst is simply not true.

*ORAS simply added more Legends and a short episode with a boring character that no one likes...woo...
**Yeah, it was Platinum's, but they could have been even lazier and pulled a Maison/"it wasn't in the older games" on us.

HGSS and platinum Frontier where the same bar 5 NPC, so no. That wasn't an improvement.

Esmerald topped GSC entirely, not by walking tiles but by content.

FRLG topped Johto-Kanto thanks to the Sevii islands both on stuff to do and side quests.

DP, the absolute lowest of the franchise added a bunch of routes and trainers within them, platinum blew this thing out of the water and still had more content than HGSS attempt at keeping nostalgia by barely adding stuff to Johto.

Any 5th gen game had more content than GSC and HGSS, routes, trainers and dailies blew this thing...these are the most post-game heavy installments of the franchise do listing this would be overkill.

XY Was sad, even if friend safari was a cool idea I'm trying to judge the game by ingame content, so yes XY even failed us in the super boss department.

ORAS was...ok,the post game was dialogue heavy but it's very bareboned outside of the legend hunt and NPC "what the hell are you doing outside of your gym" hunt.

Fighting the updated leaders dex, sorry but the level curve made them a joke, red fight was the first superboss and outside of Snorlax being...well GSC snorlax, his team was a fucking letdown on every sense only riding on the skewered level verve to FAKE difficulty.

Red was a pushover and outside of nostalgia or the "OMFG is red!" factor he is a joke, the updated rooster was mediocre thanks to the level curve, and even after they gave a pseudo trick room team to Green the leveling curve made this thing...unremarkable.

Seriously, liking it's subjective. But stating facts about how GSC and HGSS are big bags if disappointment on a technical aspect isn't a bad thing to do.

The fact is that we have had better post game content ever since emerald came around, yet people over inflate the content of Kanto and Mt silver to make the Johto games look better.

It's kind of a memetic thing, a phenomena where a bunch of people sing ad nauseum about a whole new region, without even realizing how little stuff there was to do there.

It's Nostalgia coated when people forget that the post game of PT had 60% more trainer battles than hgss had counting the remaches, nor the fact that most of Kanto content wasn't revisited at all.

Seriously, objectively the original and "remastered" post game of the Johto games was mediocre when compared to what followed it, yet people always blow it out of proportion, always.
To quote myself again:
"And the issue at hand isn't whether the game was objectively great at what it did, but how people perceived it then, how they perceive it now."

In terms of post game quality, I still don't think one can argue objectively because it in the end, it's about perception, not about some theoretical 'quality' assessement.

I don't have much of a preference when it comes to a 'favorite' generation. Each gen. has its own pushes and pulls and the ones I replay tend to be more about my mood than any kind of preference.

Honestly, I will always prefer the first 2 generations, but that's mostly because I grew up with those games, I used to play them for many hours back in the late 90's and early 2000's, Gen. 3 was good, but I like the previous 2 better.
I haven't played any new Pokémon game since Diamond and Pearl came out, so, I have no idea how the new games are, and because of that, I can't automatically criticize them and be a jerk saying "OMG, GENERATIONZ 1 AND 2 ARE DA BEST ZOMG!!!111", so, I can't have a verdict on them.
I don't know if I'll ever play the new ones, I'm kind of considering it though.
Have you played the remakes of Gen 1 and 2?

I'm currently playing through Pokemon Soul Silver, Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Black and Pokemon White 2 and I gotta admit that the newer games ( are gen 4 & 5 considered old yet? They are, aren't they?) have definitely been improved upon in every single way as far as gameplay quality goes.

Like possibly many other people I've bashed gen 6 time and time again for being 'too easy', but after going back and playing older games I am seeing it under a new light; nostalgia was definitely clouding my judgement.

The new Exp. Share and DexNav are wondrous stuff, period. If I'm underleveled I don't need to spend hours grinding each pokemon separately nor do I need to rely completely on RNG in order to find that one pokemon I'm looking for thanks to the DexNav. These two things alone are enough for me to like the newer games (read XY & ORAS) better.

I play the new games mostly just for competitive battling, if I want a solid Pokemon experience I prefer the middle games (gen 3 and 4). In my opinion Pokemon came to a peak at gen 4, specifically platinum. Gen 3 was also quite good in my opinion, but the physical/special split holds it back a bit in my eyes, giving platinum the edge over Emerald. I feel as though platinum is the most complete Pokemon game- everything about it; from the awesome Pokemon available ingame and the intense storyline, to the massive postgame and quality difficulty. I could go on and on, but my point is- I prefer 3rd and 4th gen the most.

It's hard for me to believe that people would prefer the older games other than for nostalgia reasons. You can just look at the remakes for evidence of that. Crystal was my first game and I loved it...but I think I'd really rather go with Heart Gold if I had to pick between the two. Maybe if you liked the wonky mechanics and stuff in Gen 1/2 then I guess that's certainly a reason to prefer the older gens, but otherwise the newer gens for the most part are just way better mechanically, graphically, and content-wise.

I think a more interesting question would be what region or generation you prefer/like the best because that way, you can take into account the improvements the remakes made. Even then region is probably the better thing to look at since remakes would really skew how gens are viewed. For instance, 5th gen had some of the most original content in a game since the 1st gen but I would put 4th gen and 3rd gen ahead of it just because both those generations have really good remakes of some really good regions (and gen 3 had colosseum which was really good I thought but I'm leaving it and XD out because those two don't really fit imo).

If we're talking region-wise, then I would say that the "older" regions are better, particularly in terms of setting. While I'm trying to be as objective as possible here (read: not nostalgic), I feel that in general, Hoenn and Johto had some of the most memorable settings. The in-game places just felt really unique in both those games, and it's hard to forget. Places like Ecruteak and the two towers, the Ice Path, Lake of Rage, Pacifidlog town, Sootopolis City, Mt. Chimney just stand out to me as really cool locations. Kanto's Sevii Islands are also really neat I felt.

That said, I do enjoy the look and feel of the newer games

my ultimate ranking then would look something like this in terms of regions starting in last:

Kalos (unranked) - I can't really give it a ranking since I have yet to play it, but from what I've seen / heard, I can't imagine this will be that high up there. From playing ORAS, I don't like the New Mauville setup, so I doubt I'll like it in Kalos. My expectations are pretty low for this one, but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. One good thing though is Mega Evos. I hated them at first, but I've realized that it allows GF the chance to "edit" certain pokemon, and for the most part I like the designs and upgrades.

Kanto - FRLG aren't bad games per say, and they certainly are part of the reason why I rate the 3rd gen so highly. But with the most recent release being the 3rd gen in like what? 2004? its age has shown. Blue is probably the second strongest rival and the Sevii Islands addition in FRLG was a really fun one, but otherwise the region itself does feel like an afterthought given that it was the original. The concept of Yellow is pretty unique though to the games and I'm excited about getting to play that in the near future.

Sinnoh - Team Galactic might be the best villains in the series I think...but the region itself just feels wholly unspectacular. From the actual Pokemon, to the gym leaders, to your rival, for a game I've probably spent the second most time on other than Ruby, it just seems all so foreign. Platinum was a really good improvement though, maybe only slightly below Emerald. But that still doesn't change the fact that the setting and people themselves just feel as unspectacular as Kanto. I couldn't even remember who the rival is in this game (I thought it was dawn/lucas...)

Hoenn - Hoenn is weird because I actually feel like Emerald is superior to ORAS...which feels wrong but it's probably true. Emerald made so many good changes from Ruby that it's really confusing to me why they weren't built upon in ORAS. The one team as the bad team in each game doesn't make sense to me and takes away from the whole two bad guys theme that Emerald had going which was really interesting. Trainer's eye is the best re-battling feature that the game have added, contests were challenging and required some thought in the original versions. It's strange that even though its the most modern game, Emerald might have done Hoenn the best. emerald Battle Frontier was really awesome and it's a shame they didn't bring that back. I guess I just almost let down by the ORAS games which is why I can't put Hoenn any higher.

Unova - I think the "reset" they did was a really cool idea and maybe even a bit underrated (certainly by me). BW2 is a game that I'm really looking forward to picking up because it seems like they really improved on BW and added in a bunch of cool ideas. Continuity with BW is also really awesome and things like the Memory Link is a nifty feature that I like because it allows for more development of ppl like the Gym leaders and what not. Cheren and Bianca aren't bad for friendly rivals, which seems to be the direction that Game Freak has wanted to take rivals. Things like PokeStar studios, the PWT, and Dream World were really interesting ideas (and stuff that I'm itching to get into for the former 2). Overall, the decision to do a region with all new Pokemon brought back a lot of the Pokemon charm and even though I don't think every single mon was a hit (looking at you garbador and vanillux) I liked the creativity and bravery they showed to bring us such a region. The reason why Unova isn't number 1 for me is 1. that the setting is pretty meh: you have the bridges and that feels like it's it (although tbf I may not have played enough to get a good feel for the region) and 2. the beginning of the games just feels way too closed off. Maybe it was just me but there were just no interesting pokemon in the beginning of the game. I hate how they force you to get one of the monkeys for the gym, and the game just feels way too linear for way too long. When you finally get beyond the second gym of BW1 and to Castelia City is when the game really takes off I think.

Johto - People might complain that Johto lacks content, and they're probably right. The plot is relatively straight-forward, Team Rocket's arc is fairly short and insignificant. But I think where Johto really wins is in its setting and characters - I've talked about the setting above, but I feel that Silver is by far the best rival in the games, no question about it. Gym leaders also are interesting and aren't so flat - who could forget Whitney, Jasmine and her sick Ampharos or Clair making you go to the Dragon's Den to get the badge? It's stuff like that make the gym leaders feel more like actual characters rather than just a roadblock in your quest to beat the league. I also love the continuity in the region. Connections to other regions I have always felt makes the game stronger and a lot more intriguing when you know the backstory coming out of R/B/Y. The Rocket arc isn't the best and most "evil" arc, but it's one that fits really well with prior events. The level curve is screwy (but that's not a big deal considering ppl complain about things being too easy). Oh, and the Pokeathlon is the best side event the games have put it. One negative is that it does feel like actual 2nd gen pokemon seem almost impossible to find, so at times it feels like you're just in an extension of Kanto. And of course, this gen has the best starters, even if they aren't the most competitively viable.

Can't believe I wrote this much on mons haha but this was fun!

Last edited:
So far, it feels like the odd numbered generations try to do things differently, whereas the even generation games tend to try to be fanservicey/reliant on the older/gen 1 games with alternate forms and pointless evolutions, so I find myself liking Kanto, Hoenn and Unova a LOT more than Johto, Sinnoh and Kalos.

It's hard for me to believe that people would prefer the older games other than for nostalgia reasons. You can just look at the remakes for evidence of that. Crystal was my first game and I loved it...but I think I'd really rather go with Heart Gold if I had to pick between the two. Maybe if you liked the wonky mechanics and stuff in Gen 1/2 then I guess that's certainly a reason to prefer the older gens, but otherwise the newer gens for the most part are just way better mechanically, graphically, and content-wise.

I think a more interesting question would be what region or generation you prefer/like the best because that way, you can take into account the improvements the remakes made. Even then region is probably the better thing to look at since remakes would really skew how gens are viewed. For instance, 5th gen had some of the most original content in a game since the 1st gen but I would put 4th gen and 3rd gen ahead of it just because both those generations have really good remakes of some really good regions (and gen 3 had colosseum which was really good I thought but I'm leaving it and XD out because those two don't really fit imo).

If we're talking region-wise, then I would say that the "older" regions are better, particularly in terms of setting. While I'm trying to be as objective as possible here (read: not nostalgic), I feel that in general, Hoenn and Johto had some of the most memorable settings. The in-game places just felt really unique in both those games, and it's hard to forget. Places like Ecruteak and the two towers, the Ice Path, Lake of Rage, Pacifidlog town, Sootopolis City, Mt. Chimney just stand out to me as really cool locations. Kanto's Sevii Islands are also really neat I felt.

That said, I do enjoy the look and feel of the newer games

my ultimate ranking then would look something like this in terms of regions starting in last:

Kalos (unranked) - I can't really give it a ranking since I have yet to play it, but from what I've seen / heard, I can't imagine this will be that high up there. From playing ORAS, I don't like the New Mauville setup, so I doubt I'll like it in Kalos. My expectations are pretty low for this one, but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. One good thing though is Mega Evos. I hated them at first, but I've realized that it allows GF the chance to "edit" certain pokemon, and for the most part I like the designs and upgrades.

Kanto - FRLG aren't bad games per say, and they certainly are part of the reason why I rate the 3rd gen so highly. But with the most recent release being the 3rd gen in like what? 2004? its age has shown. Blue is probably the second strongest rival and the Sevii Islands addition in FRLG was a really fun one, but otherwise the region itself does feel like an afterthought given that it was the original. The concept of Yellow is pretty unique though to the games and I'm excited about getting to play that in the near future.

Sinnoh - Team Galactic might be the best villains in the series I think...but the region itself just feels wholly unspectacular. From the actual Pokemon, to the gym leaders, to your rival, for a game I've probably spent the second most time on other than Ruby, it just seems all so foreign. Platinum was a really good improvement though, maybe only slightly below Emerald. But that still doesn't change the fact that the setting and people themselves just feel as unspectacular as Kanto. I couldn't even remember who the rival is in this game (I thought it was dawn/lucas...)

Hoenn - Hoenn is weird because I actually feel like Emerald is superior to ORAS...which feels wrong but it's probably true. Emerald made so many good changes from Ruby that it's really confusing to me why they weren't built upon in ORAS. The one team as the bad team in each game doesn't make sense to me and takes away from the whole two bad guys theme that Emerald had going which was really interesting. Trainer's eye is the best re-battling feature that the game have added, contests were challenging and required some thought in the original versions. It's strange that even though its the most modern game, Emerald might have done Hoenn the best. emerald Battle Frontier was really awesome and it's a shame they didn't bring that back. I guess I just almost let down by the ORAS games which is why I can't put Hoenn any higher.

Unova - I think the "reset" they did was a really cool idea and maybe even a bit underrated (certainly by me). BW2 is a game that I'm really looking forward to picking up because it seems like they really improved on BW and added in a bunch of cool ideas. Continuity with BW is also really awesome and things like the Memory Link is a nifty feature that I like because it allows for more development of ppl like the Gym leaders and what not. Cheren and Bianca aren't bad for friendly rivals, which seems to be the direction that Game Freak has wanted to take rivals. Things like PokeStar studios, the PWT, and Dream World were really interesting ideas (and stuff that I'm itching to get into for the former 2). Overall, the decision to do a region with all new Pokemon brought back a lot of the Pokemon charm and even though I don't think every single mon was a hit (looking at you garbador and vanillux) I liked the creativity and bravery they showed to bring us such a region. The reason why Unova isn't number 1 for me is 1. that the setting is pretty meh: you have the bridges and that feels like it's it (although tbf I may not have played enough to get a good feel for the region) and 2. the beginning of the games just feels way too closed off. Maybe it was just me but there were just no interesting pokemon in the beginning of the game. I hate how they force you to get one of the monkeys for the gym, and the game just feels way too linear for way too long. When you finally get beyond the second gym of BW1 and to Castelia City is when the game really takes off I think.

Johto - People might complain that Johto lacks content, and they're probably right. The plot is relatively straight-forward, Team Rocket's arc is fairly short and insignificant. But I think where Johto really wins is in its setting and characters - I've talked about the setting above, but I feel that Silver is by far the best rival in the games, no question about it. Gym leaders also are interesting and aren't so flat - who could forget Whitney, Jasmine and her sick Ampharos or Clair making you go to the Dragon's Den to get the badge? It's stuff like that make the gym leaders feel more like actual characters rather than just a roadblock in your quest to beat the league. I also love the continuity in the region. Connections to other regions I have always felt makes the game stronger and a lot more intriguing when you know the backstory coming out of R/B/Y. The Rocket arc isn't the best and most "evil" arc, but it's one that fits really well with prior events. The level curve is screwy (but that's not a big deal considering ppl complain about things being too easy). Oh, and the Pokeathlon is the best side event the games have put it. One negative is that it does feel like actual 2nd gen pokemon seem almost impossible to find, so at times it feels like you're just in an extension of Kanto. And of course, this gen has the best starters, even if they aren't the most competitively viable.

Can't believe I wrote this much on mons haha but this was fun!
I actually do like the older game for a number of reasons (that are not nostalgia). First off, I prefer the sprites much more than the 3D models that we have today. The sprites seemed to have life, whereas I think the 3D models make everything look fat and stiff. In the future this will obviously be improved upon (I hope), but for right now, the sprites are better imo. Not only that, but I like the content of the older games more. In specific, Emerald, platinum, and HGSS have massive postgame areas whereas XY and ORAS essentially have nothing. My last qualm with the new generations is there overload of novelty mechanics. With Z-moves and hyper training coming out for SM right on the feet of super training, Pokemon amie, and mega evolution it seems like everything is getting too rushed and over saturated. My favorite games in order are:

-Platinum
-Emerald
-HGSS
-RS
-GSC
-XY
-RBY
-DP
-ORAS
(I have not played 5th gen or FRLG, so I don't have an opinion on them). I can say that I don't really have a particular order for favorite regions, but that might be a good thread nonetheless.

Disclaimer: when I said older gens, I meant mostly platinum and Emerald, but also HGSS, GSC, RS, and DP to some extent.

I actually do like the older game for a number of reasons (that are not nostalgia). First off, I prefer the sprites much more than the 3D models that we have today. The sprites seemed to have life, whereas I think the 3D models make everything look fat and stiff. In the future this will obviously be improved upon (I hope), but for right now, the sprites are better imo. Not only that, but I like the content of the older games more. In specific, Emerald, platinum, and HGSS have massive postgame areas whereas XY and ORAS essentially have nothing. My last qualm with the new generations is there overload of novelty mechanics. With Z-moves and hyper training coming out for SM right on the feet of super training, Pokemon amie, and mega evolution it seems like everything is getting too rushed and over saturated. My favorite games in order are:

-Platinum
-Emerald
-HGSS
-RS
-GSC
-XY
-RBY
-DP
-ORAS
(I have not played 5th gen or FRLG, so I don't have an opinion on them). I can say that I don't really have a particular order for favorite regions, but that might be a good thread nonetheless.

Disclaimer: when I said older gens, I meant mostly platinum and Emerald, but also HGSS, GSC, RS, and DP to some extent.
I'm very curious, why do you like RS more than ORAS? The argument of the newer games having less postgame content also applies to RS, which pretty much just had a couple of legendaries + the battle tower. I can easily see liking Emerald over ORAS, but not RS.

I'm very curious, why do you like RS more than ORAS? The argument of the newer games having less postgame content also applies to RS, which pretty much just had a couple of legendaries + the battle tower. I can easily see liking Emerald over ORAS, but not RS.
Haha, I don't want to be too much of a hypocrite, with my last post being that nostalgia isn't a big factor for me, but part of the reason that RS is above ORAS is that Sapphire was my first Pokemon game, so I'm probably a little biased towards it. The greater reason as to why RS is above ORAS, and moreover why ORAS is lowest on my list is because ORAS was a remake of 3rd gen, but failed to actually be better in anyway (in my eyes). If it had incorporated components of Emerald kinda like HGSS did with crystal, it would be a different story. I think the main problem is that ORAS didn't live up to Emerald, whereas RS didn't have to because they came first. Don't tell me you didn't get to the postgame island in ORAS and weren't upset about the fact that it was a copy pasted battle maison rather than the battle frontier. And even though ORAS is lowest on the list, I still like it a lot. It's just worse than the other Pokemon games in my opinion. Failed potential.

TBH that makes ORAS's postgame worse, as since they have bothered to change a few things of RS, its postgame being basically as shallow as the originals (I do not count Delta Episode as an actual postgame) leaves a worse feeling on a much newer game.

Haha, I don't want to be too much of a hypocrite, with my last post being that nostalgia isn't a big factor for me, but part of the reason that RS is above ORAS is that Sapphire was my first Pokemon game, so I'm probably a little biased towards it. The greater reason as to why RS is above ORAS, and moreover why ORAS is lowest on my list is because ORAS was a remake of 3rd gen, but failed to actually be better in anyway (in my eyes). If it had incorporated components of Emerald kinda like HGSS did with crystal, it would be a different story. I think the main problem is that ORAS didn't live up to Emerald, whereas RS didn't have to because they came first. Don't tell me you didn't get to the postgame island in ORAS and weren't upset about the fact that it was a copy pasted battle maison rather than the battle frontier. And even though ORAS is lowest on the list, I still like it a lot. It's just worse than the other Pokemon games in my opinion. Failed potential.
I wasn't upset as such, more just... 'eh. Okay then,' before immediately going for the move tutors.
But yes, I definitely get you and understand your grievances with ORAS - grievances I agree with. I was just curious if they were what were holding it back for you is all.

I feel that, I guess technically a game like Emerald is an "old" game even if it doesn't feel that way to me haha. I totally agree with you content-wise at least on ORAS and I also believe you regarding XY. It just seems so strange to me that it feels like things have gone backwards in terms of postgames. I can understand why the Battle Frontier is not necessarily their biggest focus anymore, but it honestly feels like things are going backwards in terms of the postgame which is too bad imo. You have cool things like BW2 and the PWT, the Emerald frontier, and the FRLG Sevii Islands, and when you compare 6th gen to all those, it does feel like GF dropped the ball. I guess maybe by "older gens," it's really gen 1/2 that I'm referring to, given that I think after that there's arguments to be made about each gen being the "best".

I can understand why novelty mechanics (usually I hate all new mechanics at the beginning lol) can be frustrating but at the same time I do think for the most part they aren't so bad and are generally an improvement. The obvious change is the physical/special split which I feel is the biggest and best change that's been made. Otherwise, I appreciate that they've increasingly stream-lined things and made it so that stuff isn't as time-consuming/grueling (e.g. giving you running shoes from the start). The things you mentioned aren't super important in terms of your Pokemon experience and largely ignorable if you so choose, unless you're interested in the competitive aspect of course. From a casual point of view I think the mechanics have been greatly improved over time.

I played Blue as my first game but i fell in love with ruby and i except all gens because they bring something to the table but if u talk about the anime i stop at Sinnoh.

I'm sure it has its fans but i hated gen 3 so much I didnt even play gen 4 back in the day... i only rekindled my love for pokemon when HG and SS came out...

What do i hate about gen 3? Everything... and to be clear im talking about both ruby and its omega version...

First of all i hate almost all the native hoenn pokemon, with very few exceptions. Mostly their designs, i think their all basically stupid looking. I realise i sound like a rambling child here but honestly there isn't really room for concise critisism outside the statement that perhaps the pokemon company suffered a serious case of writers block when they made the third generation... As i said i didnt play gen 4 but from what i can redily identify such as chimchar there was atleast a design improvement...

Also, as far as the story in ruby goes, i think its the worst of all the games by far, and on that note i have too say i was really impressed with the storiess from B/W and X/Y , they seriously stepped up their game in the writing department... But gen 3 had a bland peedictible story orchestrated by a cast of characters whom as a whole can only be described as unimaginably irresponsible and naive adults .. i mean come on, how stupid are team aqua and magma... really...

Then theres the world itself, and your travel through it... i find the map very boaring... all the routes are overly linear, and theres really no compelling dungeons or caves... remember climbing up the swaying tower too get ho-oh? Epic... and lugias whirlpool islands??? DOPE.. (also the birds dungeons from gen 1, espically articunos)..

I will say the delta episode is kind of sweet...

And gen 3 brought us abilities and natures, which was probably the most amazing change too pokemon battling since the games inception...

For the record my favorite gen was 2... but b/w had the best story...

/rant
/opinion

P.s. this rant is inspired by the fact that i just finally started playing again after my 3ds/games/everything was stolen about a year ago... and because of the move tutors i opted for omega ruby as my first repurchase... so im stuck in a world i hate..

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm sure it has its fans but i hated gen 3 so much I didnt even play gen 4 back in the day...
Merged this with the "newer or older games?" thread, as that has kind of turned into our "favourite generation" thread. Will address your post with a longer reply once I'm more awake and fit to write something coherent.

Merged this with the "newer or older games?" thread, as that has kind of turned into our "favourite generation" thread. Will address your post with a longer reply once I'm more awake and fit to write something coherent.
Very good call, thanks.

WaffleTitan i agree with you 100% about post game content but I have too say i much prefer the animations over sprites...

I also agree with you in the gimmick mechanics, i was scepticle about mega evolution but it worked out imo... i am scepticle about alola forms, and i am very scepticle about z moves.... my bigggest concern is them making everything a sweep fest, where walls dont matter because they get Z-nuked

I prefer newer games for sure (even though gen 1 will have a place reserved in my heart and Yellow is ).

The improvement regarding the Pokemon's sprites/animations is huuuuuge, but that's not why I like newer generations more than the old ones (in particular gen 2 and 3). I appreciate the physical/special split of the moves, which opens a lot of design. For example, why in the world Grass/Water moves had to be only special?

I still appreciate the fact that Kanto in gen 1 wasn't linear for a good section of the game, thus allowing the player to avoid the classic travel "route 1 --> Gym 1---> route 2---> Gym 2 ---> etc...".

Johto in gen 2 is very small with a strange level curve between the 7th Gym and the 8th one, even with the Rocket grunts plus the mountain route in the middle. In addition to this, both Johto and Kanto lack content. Eventually, HG/SS fixed these problems wonderfully.
Hoenn, in my opinion, has 2 major problems. The first one is about the numerical stats of many pokemons: good design, but low numerical stats (even for in-game standards) that makes them hard to use even in-game, but not broken due to their defensive typing. The second one is the introduction of Pokemon Contests, which I feel unnecessary. They seems to add content but, in actual fact, you can skip them and I feel they waste space for other real improvements.

yer man i like the older games better. the oldest ive played is leafgreen and although i like all the pokemon games ive played nothing will compare to my favourite of all time platinum (hopefully there will be DP remakes and they will be sweet) if u could still use wifi for gen 4 or 5 games i dont think i would ever need to play another game again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)