Do you prefer newer or older games?

Hey guys,

People usually say that Pokemon games after 3rd gen are crap and te first 3 gens are the most wonderful thing in the world (with a tiny bit of exaggeration :p). However, I think the opposite : I like 4th and 5th gen much more than the previous gens mainly because of physical/special change that makes so many more pokemon viable.

There are also more pokemon, more moves, more abilities, etc so there are more rooms for different strategies.

I don't think 4th or 5th gen are less bad than from previous gens, there are good and bad pokemon in all generations.

Are there anyone that feels the same here ?

This is the argument that has existed since gen II. The way I see it there are 4 stances on the matter (maybe 5):

Genwunner: Someone who believes that generation one is the best and that no other Pokemon games compare. (usually born in the early nineties, hate competitive battling, and haven't even played the newer games)

Newgenner: Someone who believes that the newer the game, the better. (Most of the time they do respect the older gens but believe that Pokemon gets better with age like it is some sort of cheese.)

Hoeen babies: People who believe that either A) Pokemon died after generation 3 or that B)All generations are equally decent except for generation 3 which is clearly the best. (normally born in the late nineties and hence played ruby/sapphire/emerald as their first game. Similar to genwunners but born in a different era and more accepting of new and old Pokemon. [usually])

Truegenner: Someone who believes that all generations should be loved equally and everything Pokemon is great. (have the right idea about what Pokemon stands for, but are generally jerks about it, believing that anyone who isn't a truegenner isn't a real fan of Pokemon.)

So which one fits you best?

Genwunner? Newgenner? Hoeen baby A? Hoeen baby B? or are you a newgenner? (I am somewhere in between Hoeen baby and truegenner personally since I was born 1997 :P)

Remember, this is just a generalization of the the 4(5?) opinions, and your's might be completely different. However these are the MAIN groups I.e. the ones seen most often. An example of an uncommon group would be the Sinnoh haters who like everything except Sinnoh for some reason. (normally found on 4Chan).

Lastly, I just have to say I got a HUGE FEAR that this thread is going to end in a fight.

So far, the even numbered games have been a disappointment but the odd numbered generations have got consistently better each time. Sort of like reverse Star Trek.

So far, the even numbered games have been a disappointment but the odd numbered generations have got consistently better each time. Sort of like reverse Star Trek.
Very rare group, only really found on smogon which I classify as "oddgenners." I would have to politely disagree with you my friend, and remind you of all the things Sinnoh and Johto has brought us.

Also note that somewhere around 255 Pokemon were made at first, but separated into 2 games to make more money. Where would we be without arceus in UBERS and imagine an OU without lucario, infernape, or SCIZOR!? Think about it, imagine pokemon without these 2 generations. Not very pleasing is it?

@Basileus : If I have to fit into 1 of your categories, I'm a truegenner, I like all Pokemon games from the main series but I have a preference for the latest generations.

I am definitely a Hoenn Baby. That was by far my favorite game. I like all games equally but that one was definitely the best. The one I did not like was HeartGold and SoulSilver.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
newgenner for sure. updated graphics, more pokes, physical/special split and new mechanics, etc. make every name game even better. however, the best has gotta be LGFR. dat charizard was fucking amazing. XD

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I actually like the gen 3 home console games (colo and XD) the best, then B2W2, then RSE, then HGSS, then BW1. then PBR, the DPPt. After that I have not played all of the games except for red, which I hated.

I don't know which I would fit into, but from what we have right now I would have to say I am an oddgener who hates gen 1.

Very rare group, only really found on smogon which I classify as "oddgenners." I would have to politely disagree with you my friend, and remind you of all the things Sinnoh and Johto has brought us.
pleasing is it?
Johto is definitely a beautiful generation and GSC came really close to being great, but the leveling curve is just abysmal and the new pokemon were by and large completely garbage statwise. Also, Kanto felt really tacked on after the Elite 4 and completely kills the flow of the game. Diamond and Pearl are much, much worse. Sinnoh is by far the worst region in any game thanks to Mt. Coronet and the snow areas being such a goddamn chore, and the selection of pokemon is awful. There are a total of two fire types at your disposal before beating the Elite Four, one of which is the starter. Platinum fixed some of its problems but it's still a fundamentally broken generation.

My favorite is still and probably always will be Generation III because of how beautiful and fun to explore Hoenn is, as well as the ridiculous variety of pokemon. Although I will admit that Black and White are objectively better.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do I have to pick? Seriously, do I have to?

Gen 5 was my favorite but not by much and if you forced me to play my least favorite (gen 4, specifically Sinnoh because HGSS was really cool) I'd be all "sure, okay" and go for it.

PS Gen 2 had the best side game, Pokemon Stadium 2 is still amazing to me.

I'm a Newgenner, but only by virtue of the only Pokemon games I've played are SoulSilver, White and White 2. However, out of those three games I have to say I greatly prefer White over SoulSilver and slightly prefer White over White 2.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I despise Sinnoh with a passion, and prefer Kanto and Hoenn over the other regions, but overall I prefer the newer games. Red and Blue look epic through my rose-tinted glasses, just like thinking about GSC fills me with happy memories, but I'm afraid they can't stand up to the newer games objectively. Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald were darn good with all their sidequests and the innovative region, but there wasn't really that much to do after the E4 were beaten. Emerald had the best Battle Frontier, but the centralization of the Contests meant that you didn't have as much incentive to travel as you had in Ruby/Sapphire (where almost every town had a reason to return to it several times).

The recent games have this mind-boggling diversity to them, tons of available Pokémon and strong trainers to set them up against, challenging battle facilities, a tidy PC system and great battle mechanics. Unova and Sinnoh are pretty bad map-wise (Unova offers no choice of paths, where in Sinnoh Mt. Coronet gets in the way of everything, forcing you to fly between relevant postgame locations instead of actually revisiting places), but the contents of those maps are way too fun to be ignored.

I agree with the crowd saying that we miss certain features that RSE introduced but was later dropped. Simple contests, SECRET BASES (in all caps because they f-ing deserve that), bright colours, the Trick House and the best Battle Frontier ever (or second worst, depending on your point of view) all those made RSE very enjoyable, but there are some flaws to them as well that were fixed later on. For instance, training your Pokémon is somewhat of a chore in those games. The Elite Four's strongest Pokémon is lvl. 58, and there are no rebattleable trainers whose Pokémon's levels exceed 45. The rebattle system is also somewhat unreliable. This was before the physical/special split, so STAB was only a boon for Pokémon whose strongest offensive stat corresponded to its type (Hi, Crawdaunt!).

In comparison, BW2 has it all. Tons of things to do post-game, and they are fairly spread out across the map (Pokéstar studios, the PWT, Join Avenue...). The battle mechanics are as great as ever. There are plenty of exciting places to go. Rebattleable trainers for grinding. The (albeit, linear) region is filled with memorable places. Dynamic music (oh, Accumula Town! Oh, Village Bridge!). Attention to detail make seemingly uninteresting places look so much nicer. They have even made a few attempts at proper architecture. Game-wise, the newer games take home most of the medals. They don't have Secret Bases, they don't have walking Pokémon, and the region is a little too linear to my taste, but the games are still excellent. I have high hopes for the sixth generation, and for generations to come.

I don't really have any preference based on the time the games were produced. Honestly I tend to think people who do judge them that way are generally being pretty silly and illogical about it. I tend to judge games based on their individual merits, not on when they were produced. Old games are not necessarily better than new games or vice versa, and the nostalgia factor always needs to be taken into account before making judgments.

I would have to say my favorite individual games so far were HGSS, just because they did everything I could really want. It took the Generation II games and fixed almost all the issues, had an interface that I wish would come back (Seriously the C-gear is a TOTAL waste of the bottom screen), and walking Pokemon were pretty much the best thing ever. So what I was left with was all the nostalgia I could want but with all the half remembered flaws cut out to just leave all the goodness behind. It was glorious.

Note that that's just my opinion and a lot of it was nostalgia based; due to the battery issues with GSC I had not played those games for a very long time, meaning my return to HGSS had maximum nostalgia factor.

But yeah, I guess you could probably call me a "truegenner", though I wouldn't say that anyone who falls into the other categories aren't "true fans". They are however, widely deluded and illogical fans, but as long as they don't try to push their faulty logic on other people I don't really care. It's when idiot gen 1ers or new geners start insulting people for liking the new and old games (respectively) that I get annoyed

Celever

i am town
I will never understand you Sinnoh haters....
Ironic, as I never understand the sinnoh lovers!

Honestly though, look at what the pokemon series gave us in hoenn. The biggest level curve was in the elite four which was about 6 levels, a wide array of useful and original pokemon, and then a simple to maneuvor but battle-filled victory road! Then look at sinnoh, a giant level leap between Volkner and Aaron at 8 levels (on a full team of 6, it is a lot! Especially with the small amount of battles in an extremely long and boring victory road. The pokemon on offer there are little. I mean, there are 2 fire type species in diamond and pearl! That is terrible! Sure, hoenn has a lot of water, but the pokedex is not short of any other type - at least not one that should be common like fire!

That is just 3 points from each game showing how sinnoh is worse than what many people think the worst games in the series. Good luck doing something like this in return, since sinnoh has little merit over hoenn as far as I can see. Oh, and another note;

In order to finish battling team galactic you have to spend at least 15 minutes going up mt. coronet with no healing machines or anything else of the sort. You need to buy lots of healing items, and Barry actually has his munchlax poison your pokemon in the double battle. This is just game freak's way of saying "haha lol. Now you have to go back down since you are out of antidotes from all the golbat poisoning you on the way here!"

In hoenn the bases of the enemy teams are easy to reach and have healing machines all over the place.

I have to say, I loved B/W...to a point. I dunno why, but I always find myself drifting right back to RBY. It's not that I don't enjoy the newer games, it's that I like that feeling of nostalgia that RBY gives me.

Ironic, as I never understand the sinnoh lovers!

Honestly though, look at what the pokemon series gave us in hoenn. The biggest level curve was in the elite four which was about 6 levels, a wide array of useful and original pokemon, and then a simple to maneuvor but battle-filled victory road! Then look at sinnoh, a giant level leap between Volkner and Aaron at 8 levels (on a full team of 6, it is a lot! Especially with the small amount of battles in an extremely long and boring victory road. The pokemon on offer there are little. I mean, there are 2 fire type species in diamond and pearl! That is terrible! Sure, hoenn has a lot of water, but the pokedex is not short of any other type - at least not one that should be common like fire!

That is just 3 points from each game showing how sinnoh is worse than what many people think the worst games in the series. Good luck doing something like this in return, since sinnoh has little merit over hoenn as far as I can see. Oh, and another note;

In order to finish battling team galactic you have to spend at least 15 minutes going up mt. coronet with no healing machines or anything else of the sort. You need to buy lots of healing items, and Barry actually has his munchlax poison your pokemon in the double battle. This is just game freak's way of saying "haha lol. Now you have to go back down since you are out of antidotes from all the golbat poisoning you on the way here!"

In hoenn the bases of the enemy teams are easy to reach and have healing machines all over the place.
So it is annoying to go through Mt. coronet and fight team galactic? TOUGHEN UP. Would you rather they just give you all 8 badges? I love things like caves and the elite 4, as your Pokemon lose health it becomes harder and strategy becomes crucial, it really tests my abilities as a trainer and I LOVE IT. Also, IDK what you are talking about Barry poisoning me, that has never happened to me. I thought the story line was also very intriguing, Cyrus trying to control time and space reminded me of the end of FMA:B which is my favorite manga.

So you just told me that you like your video games to easy?! Then why aren't you playing call of duty? Because if you want easy then competitive battling isn't for you.

GEN 4 FOREVER <3

EDIT: Alice, you are probably a "Hoeen baby B" if this is true...

I can't play any of the main games before Gen 3. They are just too slow to me. I can play the Stadium games just fine though.

Hoenn babies: People who believe that either A) Pokemon died after generation 3 or that B)All generations are equally decent except for generation 3 which is clearly the best. (normally born in the late nineties and hence played ruby/sapphire/emerald as their first game. Similar to genwunners but born in a different era and more accepting of new and old Pokemon. [usually])
That's me. :3 Trumpets for the win!

I like Sinnoh, though, they aren't bad games. I was pampered by huge, expansive maps, and Sinnoh helped cater (in that some terrains took a while).

Strangely enough, some of my favorite Pokèmon are from Gen 5 - Dewott and Leavanny. The Pokèmon were really well designed, and the plot line wasn't bad.

My first experience with generation 1 was Leafgreen (I didn't even know a lot of those Pokèmon existed - I fell to the old Charizard trap :)). Farfetch'd also appealed to me. But I liked the simplicity of the games, the straightforward plot, and Team Rocket. Originally, I thought Jessie, James, and Mepwth were the only members. :)

Much later, I finally got to tackle Johto - SoulSilver. After playing through it, I encountered the first Pokèmon I ever saw, Miltank. I watched my cousins play it, and recalled an old memory where he convinced me that TM's actually modified a Pokèmon, essentially convincing me Fly could make Miltank grow wings. Wow. But Ampharos was the coolest thing for me, really. I also liked the double-region.

So all the games have strengths and weaknesses, it really just appeals to who you are.

Also, trumpets.

Celever

i am town
So it is annoying to go through Mt. coronet and fight team galactic? TOUGHEN UP. Would you rather they just give you all 8 badges? I love things like caves and the elite 4, as your Pokemon lose health it becomes harder and strategy becomes crucial, it really tests my abilities as a trainer and I LOVE IT. Also, IDK what you are talking about Barry poisoning me, that has never happened to me. I thought the story line was also very intriguing, Cyrus trying to control time and space reminded me of the end of FMA:B which is my favorite manga.

So you just told me that you like your video games to easy?! Then why aren't you playing call of duty? Because if you want easy then competitive battling isn't for you.

GEN 4 FOREVER <3

EDIT: Alice, you are probably a "Hoeen baby B" if this is true...
When did I say that I like games easy?! I said I like games fun. I said I like games interesting. I said I do not like games having you waste 15 minutes just to do some battle that are, to be quite honest, not fun. I love competitive battling since I got into it since it applies lots of strategy and thinking, solving the always easy puzzles in pokemon hardly makes you think - at least those in mt coronet. The ones in the aqua hideout actually stumped me a little bit. I hate CoD with a passion. It is the worst game of all time. Barry poisoned me every single time I played the games. Every single time first turn. I don't know if you were not paying attention or whether your game is special or something, since it happened to my friends and their games too when they enjoyed pokemon (they are "too old" now...). Yes, your pokemon becoming weak and you having to pick your moves carefully is lots of fun. Not against wild pokemon. Not against over-leveled trainers. Against them you just spam your strongest attack. Against them you don't care at all. In-game it is about the exploration and training pokemon you wouldn't usually use. Save the intense thinking for competitive battling. I don't like games easy, I like them as a way to bide away time whilst doing other things. That is my definition of in-game pokemon, and having to turn off the TV and concentrate on maneuvering a boring and long mountain because I had to heal is not what you want to do. In hoenn they keep the puzzles and story interesting. In Sinnoh it is just the cliche mad guy who feels the world inadequate for his needs and wishes to create a new one. In this case it is by using a thing just short of god (the legendaries) but that has also been used before. It is nothing new and is a fairly boring and over-used story. Now in gen 3 you have 2 completely clashing and opposite teams which you run into several times in different areas (in emerald). They are extremely contradictory but gave the producers lots of leeway for dialogue which they did in the games extremely well!

I think that each game has something unique to offer, really: the earlier games are great for nostalgia and offer simpler features, and the new games never cease to amaze me in terms of progress and innovation. For me, playing through Yellow every now and then still has its charms even though it's been so long since it was released. I enjoy the smaller pool of Pokemon that are available in the game and I appreciate the refreshing technical simplicity of it compared to its successors. That doesn't mean I don't like the later games though: I think I enjoyed the BW/2 plots more so than any of the previous games' storylines. Each generation has something to offer to players like me, and that's why I've never truly had a favorite Generation.

I believe that the main series games are timeless. I guess this classifies me as a Truegenner.

As for me? I'm a mix of newgen/true genner. I don't particularly prefer any gen, as each gen has its flaws. However, I do find it quite hard to go back to my original red (which I love) after playing the awesomeness of the black/white saga. I never understand the hate for the newer games (linearity is an issue for bw however, I will not lie, and Sinnoh is offset by the lack of certain pokemon, not this level curve tomfoolery) because to be honest, they are very excellent. Now, I realize everybody has their (Nostalgic or otherwise) opinions, but I believe that maybe if we started looking at what's the same, instead of always looking at what's different... well, who knows?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)