Do you write music?

Anyone else here dabble in writing? Share your stuff maybe? I've written some stuff but nothing ridiculously impressive, this is my latest

Terrible MIDI Shit

but it's not done.

Anyway, hearing some other smogoners stuff might be nice haha. (Or maybe you suck, I don't know)

I have some songs here: http://www.myspace.com/crabdaddz

Yeah sorry myspace blows, but it's pretty convenient for sharing music. The first three tracks are covers and were recorded in spring 2010 I think. The last two are original and recorded in like late 2007 early 2008, I can't remember.

"Challenge" was a contest between a friend and I to record a song where the only actual musical instrument was a guitar. The other sounds are like books and screwdrivers and digital effects and such.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
My songwriting has actually been going pretty well. I have written chords for the verse of a song that actually is more or less what I was actually trying to write when I wrote it.

Maybe I will actually finish this one!

Have a nice day.

uh well, i hosted some shitty stuff on this site last year when my friend matt and i recorded basically everything. here's the link in any case: http://portsaintlucie.blogspot.com/

i haven't recorded anything in a while, but i have been writing! i want to sit down and record some songs sometime, it's just a hassle when recording by oneself when you want various instruments (or 'instruments'), multiple guitar tracks, et cetera. well, i suppose it's not that hard -- i'm probably just impatient.

i was wondering how others start writing songs? for example, do you start with a riff, or lyrics, or a general idea of how you want the song to 'feel'? for me, it depends on the song -- lately i've been getting songs together on guitar first, but it's hard to know where to go from there. and there are a lot of other things i want to incorporate besides just guitar, which is hard to do when recording on your own. i'm on the lookout for a casiotone with a rhythm generator -- and i wank around a lot with a loop station and drum machine, which is fun.

i'm on break and i told myself i would try to record or at least write songs for DRUNK FOREVER (band on indefinite hiatus thanks to school) but all i've been able to do is play starcraft

Writing songsssss. I never really figured out my process either. Sometimes I'll think of a riff in my head and try and go from there. Other times I'll just be singing random batshit lyrics (with a theme of course) and then hear something I like and be like "OMG THAT WAS BRILLIANT RECORDING WHEN I GET HOME.) Hell, other times I'll just write something about politics or society down (I'm so Bob Dylan :3)and try to make a song out of it.

There's really no wrong way to go about starting music. At least in my opinion.

Meh, I write sometimes, but never get around to recording it.

I actually enjoy writing classical music, it's just more fun than rock and such.

I write rap lyrics. It's a little hobby I have, that I share with my friends. They kinda suck lol, but kinda funny (inside jokes and whatnot).

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Used to write rap lyrics, but now I produce/write electronic music. Atm I'm doing a vocal trance song, it's coming along alright but I'm missing a soft synth in the background for vocal parts, and the vocals themselves. I can find a vocalist but I'm out of practice at writing lyrics :/

I'm a guitarist and I just write songs. My music is kinda metal-ish but it's not the whole "Wave of palm muted power chords" crap. Acoustic bits, clean riffs, heavier sections, pedal note riffs etc. Just fun stuff to make the music interesting as fun. And I have great fun using my theory training to find crazy scales to weird the fuck out of anyone listening.

I write classical music, and I'm currently taking composition/music theory lessons. I'm also part of the Young Composers' Project, in which composition students work on a multi-instrument piece over the course of months and meet with professional musicians three times over the course of writing it. At the end, there is a concert in which all the pieces are performed by the musicians the composers worked with. The Young Composers' Project is the only such program in the US as far as I know, so I'm glad I live where I do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)