1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Does Japan's Youth Ordinance Bill Spell the End for Anime/Manga?

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by PokéTrainer J, Dec 14, 2010.

1. PokéTrainer J

PokéTrainer J

2. MrIndigo

MrIndigo

From these articles, anyone saying that this is the death of anime industry is clearly hysterical. I do not see anything like that happening.
  3. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

It's difficult to say without knowing how harshly the law will be enforced. Can't imagine much good coming from it though.
  4. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, that's a helluva leap. It's like asking if the video game industry is going to die if the Supreme Court rules in favour of banning the sale of video games that are too violent/sexual in nature to those under 18.
  5. petrie911

petrie911

I do find it odd that it is specifically aimed at animated media and not "live-action" media. I would think that live-action media would have far more potential to be harmful to minors.

However, as mentioned above, it seems a mountain is being made out of a molehill here.
  6. Rediamond

Rediamond

This isn't really that significant. While it might be a little (or very) biased against anime and magna, it isn't that big of a deal. So, it's regulating things that in all honesty should probably be regulated. There is always the factor that if children aren't exposed to certain things, they are less likely to do them. In theory, this kind of thing is in place in America too, but it is barely enforced. I think it should be applicable to all forms of media, but it isn't that big of a deal.
  7. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

The government should not be able to arbitrarily decide what is and isn't appropriate. That is up to the parents.
  8. FSLAR

FSLAR

That can be potentially good, and potentially bad
  9. keigo ichimaru

keigo ichimaru

hopefully, it wont affect the industry much. maybe kids will get poeple of age to buy it for them anyway? i think it'll be fine though
  10. vonFiedler

vonFiedler Visualize It
    is a Community Contributor

How is it potentially bad in comparison? People can outgrow bad parents, its harder to get away from bad governments.
  11. Ancien Régime

Ancien Régime capitalism delenda est
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Just glancing over the particulars of this law from those links in OP:

1: Japan made this law in response to lobbying by foreign radical feminist groups. They will not enforce it in any real way. Just look at the content - it only hits anime and manga, not books or material depicting real persons! This is clearly trying to placate international busybodies.

2: There are so many loopholes in this law it's not even funny - first off, it only penalizes anime producers WITHIN TOKYO - this is not a nationwide ban. Secondly, it is really vague, and with their propensity to not enforce morality laws, not much will actually get hit. At worst, some of the blatant fan-service will be toned down, but not even that is likely. Things like hentai are aimed at adults to begin with (and thus presumably not subject to the ruling). And let's not go into doujin material.

3: In the end, I give it 50:50 this gets repealed. We in America truly underestimate how important otaku-related material is to the overall Japanese economy. In 2004 (this was the only figure I could find), anime (not including manga, games, merchandise) etc alone was worth 2% of GDP. Even in that link the OP sent, the prime minister of Japan made a blog post about him being concerned about the boycott by various publishers.

This is a horrible, horrible law, but I doubt that it will stand.
  12. CaptKirby

CaptKirby

The law is horrible and is probably not going to pass as the government gets pressured and embarrassed (then again who knows, traditional assfucks can ignore all shame).
  13. Venser

Venser

Just for those who seem to still be confused: This law does not ban anything. It just moves things to the adult section. Granted, that does bring up the point about governments making all your decisions for you.
  14. Arcticblast

Arcticblast I run with the wolves of the wicked
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

It's like illegally downloading music.

You're going to be in deep shit on the side chance you get caught, but there's always a way.
  15. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Not really at all. This isn't making possession illegal at all, but sale. The content won't be created without a market.
  16. PokéTrainer J

PokéTrainer J

Well here's what one guy said about this:

17. Xing

Xing

The moment I saw this law I knew that it is the result of foreign activism. Japan is trying too hard to be politically correct.

I want those foreign, retard lobbyists out of Japan.
  18. killazys

killazys

Exactly this... also, many anime are targeted towards adults (sennin) as opposed to children. I'm not sure if they have a TV rating system in Japan, but if they wanted to air, for example, Kiss x Sis, they could just move it to a timeslot reserved for what we in America would rate as an adult show.

I doubt this will have any effect. Also, the law is so vaguely worded the enforcement officials will be forced to run circles around loopholes before someone can be successfully prosecuted and indicted for such charges..

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)