Does the anime give a bad reputation to Pokemon?

Stone RG

Megas are broke
I'm amazed no one is pointing out the multiple deaths in the RS arc. There's no way something like that would fly with English censors but I guess it'll be okay if it was magically deus ex'd by Celebi and Ruby in the same episode as when they died (Jamming all the content inbetween the deaths and the deus ex is literally impossible, btw).
Oh thanks for pointing the only major flaw in that godly arc, i had forgotten the shit Ruby pulled out of his ass, in the most possible literal way, even though i read it like 3 months ago rofl. On that point though, i dont think Adventures is THAT violent, at least up until the end of Emerald arc, which is where i am since i took a hiatus from it to read FMA and focus on school, there are, of course, those monets where there is anotable level of gore, such as Arbok being slashed in half, Deoxys vs anybody in the FR/LG arc (best arc ive read in that manga btw, and they are all really well written bar Emerald imo), or the one you mentioned, RS, where to me, the most disgusting was what Maxie and Archie turned to. However, every anime must realistically have some level of gore, since, 1. Asian society is much more tolerant in that aspect than American, and 2. to add some tone of' ''maturity'' and realization that some typed of violence do exist, if im explaining myself correctly.

Just coming in here to say that Pokemon Special/Adventures/whatever people are calling it nowadays is amazing and I would KILL to have it animated. That manga right there demonstrates the Pokemon world better than any other adaptation. Oh man, if the Firered/Leafgreen arc was animated, with the final battle and Mewtwo and Deoxys and all that... it gives me chills just imagining it.
So you'd KILL? Well please kill someone like Justin bieber XD

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Oh, SRG, you're about to get to some really good stuff. What a large segment of the DP arc lacks in action (at least compared to the RS and FRLG arcs, which are the ones I remember most clearly) it more than makes up for with humor. Diamond and Pearl's manzai acts are among the funniest things in the series (although I do recommend reading it scanlated, instead of the VIZ translations, since a lot of the scanlation sites have translations and explanations of the wording of the original Japanese jokes as well as the sometimes-subpar English ones). Diamond is also just adorable in general - he's definitely my favorite protagonist.

I liked the Emerald arc, despite the fact that it felt kind of contrived at times. Emerald was a pretty funny guy, if not quite on the same level as Gold and Diamond. The battles took me back to my own Battle Frontier matches, except they were better-played (which probably boosted it higher than it should have been, if I'm being honest), and Sceptile finally got his time to shine.

So you'd KILL? Well please kill someone like Justin bieber XD
Whoa hey, let's not go that far.

DP part was refreshing compared to RSE/FRLG. Loved all the protagonists. Diamond with his slow but determined feel, Pearl with his hot-bloodedness, and Platinum with her character development.

In my opinion, the anime's OKAY, but I prefer the games much more.

My main problem is that Ash is a wimp, since he only won the Elite Four in the Orange Islands (Which I thought was filler), and has to rely on the same pokes every time (Mainly Pikachu). And why the fuck did he lose to a SNIVY of all things?! But I still like some episodes. Though in all, I do agree the anime ruined the series' reputation (Since it gave the assumption that Pokemon is for kids and only kids), but I thought Pokemon: The Origins was awesome.

Actually, the anime does more help than harm IMO.
Think about it. The anime is a key part in drawing children into the franchise. That's how I got into playing, and I'm not the only one.
More viewers equals more gamers. More gamers equal more money. More money equals more games and merchandise.
If the anime hadn't been so popular, how many of the fans who are younger (such as myself) would have been introduced to the franchise?
This seems minor, but over the years, the lack of new players would reduce the amount of games we get and the frequency at which we get them.
Is the anime childish? Yes. Could they have done a much better job on it? Yes. Do I understand why they did it? Yes.

Really, the reason that I think the anime makes Pokemon seem so childish is that the new episodes are never about Ash's journey to be a Pokemon master- instead, about 90% are all about love, friendship, helping others, et cetera. By all means should it have a place in the anime, but they're just so prevalent now, and all you have to do to see how much the theme has changed is compare the first theme song to the current one.

Not to mention, Ash only actually catches 2 or 3 Pokemon in each region, and then only in the first few episodes; in later seasons, Ash only "catches" mons that willingly join him; he releases everything else.

Really, the reason that I think the anime makes Pokemon seem so childish is that the new episodes are never about Ash's journey to be a Pokemon master- instead, about 90% are all about love, friendship, helping others, et cetera.
Gen I theme song lyrics:

I want to be the very best / Like no-one ever was / To catch them is my real quest / To train them is my cause

Gen V theme song lyrics:

It's not always black and white [see what they did there?] / But your heart always knows what's right / It's not about win or lose / It's the path you choose

The sentiments could hardly be more different.

However, I disagree that this is what makes the anime childish. The older series were childish too.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the anime's OKAY, but I prefer the games much more.

My main problem is that Ash is a wimp, since he only won the Elite Four in the Orange Islands (Which I thought was filler), and has to rely on the same pokes every time (Mainly Pikachu). And why the fuck did he lose to a SNIVY of all things?! But I still like some episodes. Though in all, I do agree the anime ruined the series' reputation (Since it gave the assumption that Pokemon is for kids and only kids), but I thought Pokemon: The Origins was awesome.
I would say that at its best the anime can be really good, but you do have to be rather selective of the episodes one watches or one would just waste their time. I really did enjoy the rivalry between Paul and Ash though, and my exposure to the D&P anime are almost exclusively episodes featuring Paul and/or Ash's Infernape.

I thought Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's is actually the inverse case where I considered the anime to quite engaging in numerous ways, while watching people play the actual card game bores me.

---

I really did like Giga Impact Latios, a Gen 1 Harden Kingler on a Bulbasaur Vine Whip, and the unbelievable endurance of Ash's Infernape, taking multiple hits, using Flare Blaze many times, and being poisoned for a significant amount of time before Blaze activated in his battle against Paul.

While the anime IS directed towards children in my opinion, it's still alright at times. Like other people have said, people need to be selective on the episodes viewed. And childish isn't bad, it's to each their own. I'm still a HUGE fan of Power Rangers, and that's almost exclusive to boys under 10 lol. I personally think it needs to mature a bit (ala pokemon Origins), but it's fine where it's at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)