Doing a Gen 1+2 playthrough, need advice.

I plan to do a joint playthrough of Pokemon Yellow, into Pokemon Crystal and I'm planning on full completing the Johto Pokedex, I have a few questions I'm interested in hearing input on though.

What do I do about Mew?

Mew is an event only pokemon that is easily obtained by glitches in r/b/y. Would this damage the integrity of the run, by doing the 'mew glitch' in order to obtain it in yellow? Or would my run be best left at 150, with no mew to transfer over? My logic here is no, it wouldn't damage the integrity of the run, because I'm using no external device to obtain him, and staying within the limits of what can be done on a physical cartridge. I've done the glitch several times on my physical blue cart with no issue.

What do I do about Celebi?

Celebi is a bit harder of a case because there aren't very many glitches to obtain it, and those that are are fairly complicated, logically I'd use a cheat code to activate this pokemon's event based battle. But I feel like that, if anything would damage the integrity of the run. My 3 options are, try very hard to glitch it, skip it and only have a completed dex of 249/250 depending on the mew response, or use a cheat for this one instance solely.

Any input is welcome and I appreciate all of it, thank you.

As the only way to obtain Mew and Celebi in the first two generations is either owning a game with a legal one on it already, glitches, or hacking combined with the fact that the first two Generations are completely isolated from the rest of the series, very few would look upon you badly if you use glitches to get those two and only those two.

With one Yellow cart and one Crystal cart, I make it 13 Pokemon for which glitching will be required:

2 x Event legends: (Mew and Celebi)
2 x Jhoto starters: (2 from Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile)
3 x Jhoto evolutionary lines found only in Gold and Silver: (Mareep, Girafarig and Remoraid)
5 x "Item + Trade" evolutions: (Slowking, Politoed, Steelix, Scizor, Porygon2)
1 x Kanto Fossil Pokemon: (Omanyte or Kabuto)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)