1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Ever find yourself missing out on the latest Smogon articles? We've now got a subscription service, so the newest articles (of your choice) are delivered right to your inbox! Check it out here.

Donphan - Update [QC 3/3][GP WIP]

Discussion in 'Locked / Outdated Analyses' started by Arcticblast, Oct 10, 2012.

1. SaveMeJebus

SaveMeJebus

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 124 HP /252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 128 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin

This is the set I use to out speed 167 Spd Jellicant. What do you guys think about investing speed evs on Donphan?
  2. Frog

Frog

Evs:
    108 Defense with 252 HP and salac terrakion never OHKOes at +2 with rocks

So try 252/148/108 (adamant)
  3. Arcticblast

Arcticblast I'll be back soon!
    is a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
    Doubles President

Defensive already got mostly shot down; I don't want to start a ruckus. I might mention it somewhere.

Still working on this.
  4. youngjake93

youngjake93

Forretress has nothing on offensive Donphan at all(or defensive for that matter)... Donphan can rapid spin away anything it lays, is immune to volt switch, takes like 2% damage from gyro ball, relay SR, and do wayyy more than enough damage for Forretress to give up and switch out.
    I would love if a Forretress tried to check my Donphan, gets rid of their spinner, hazard layer, and dragon check all in one go. If anything, Donphan is a counter to Forretress.
  5. Arcticblast

Arcticblast I'll be back soon!
    is a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
    Doubles President

Donphan and Forretress actually sort of counter each other. Neither manages to do much more than 30% (Forretress HP Ice versus max attack Donphan Earthquake) and both can switch out to something that doesn't mind taking a hit - think Cloyster, Latias and Rotom-W, all three of which pose a significant threat to both Pokemon.
  6. yee

yee
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

Please don't oversell- or even sell Donphan in the overview. There is currently a plague of new users putting it in their teams thinking it's a good choice but all of the many times I have seen it in recent memory it was a clearly inferior choice to a different spinner + revamped team or just no spinner + revamped team. On it's best day, it will be a decent choice on a sun team, to this date I have never seen a different spot on a team it deserved over the other options available. Donphan is one of the many pokemon that is OU only because the playerbase on the ladder isn't well-informed enough to make the best choice, and it would make my day if we stopped misinforming them ASAP.
  7. Neliel

Neliel Sacred Sword

im not sure if its already listed but i think custab berry can be mentioned as an optional item, thanks to sturdy it can be somewhat usefull in some situations
  8. PK Gaming

PK Gaming I made a promise in another history that i'd definitely...
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Moving to L&O

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)