XY OU don't need no mega

Hey guys this is my first RMT so feel free to criticise my team. I've played showdown for some time now but never have I gone high on the ladder.

I wanted to make a team without any megas so I started with a pokemon which has been given a movepool boost in ORAS...... Greninja. However showdown doesn't seem to allow greninja to use Gunk Shot. Then I decided to put a Breloom because it's one of my favourite mobs with a good typing. Also it takes care of the physical walls greninja has a trouble breaking. I needed a pokemon that could set up rocks and also remove them so I put in Skarmory. Along with giving me hazards it also acts like a wall against mega mence. I then added heatran to take out the Ferrothorns, scizors and opposing skarmorys. My final slot is Rotom-W which I added without much thought but more cause I wanted it on my team. But it does help with birdspam and opposing metagross megas.

Now for the team........

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory / Dark Pusle
- Gunk Shot

This is a standard greninja set with Scald and Ice Beam as it's major attacks. Since Rotom-W is an annoying wall as far as greninja is concerned I added Grass Knot. Also it helps against Azumarill and other water types. This is my main mid-end game sweeper which can come out if I see that the opponent can be taken out with ninja alone. Modest over Timid because it already has phenomenal speed so I could squeeze a bit more power from its attacks.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
IVs : 0 Atk / 30 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

This is my special wall and crippler. He can sponge birdspam all day and destroy with volt switch. Will-O-Wisp helps against physical sweepers like garchomp and mega mence. Pain Split I found was amazingly useful against chansey. It forms a minor volt-turn core with lando-t and gives me momentum during the match.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

My revenge killer and lead scout. The standard set again and it works remarkably well with the rest of the team. I've given it enough speed EVs to outspeed Jolly Zard X and revenge kill with Earthquake.
Knock off helps with the latitwins and also against chansey ( this thing is too common in the lower reaches of the ladder). U Turn for scouting and dealing damage to psychics and also grass pokes.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore

My physical sweeper. A power-up punch set is something I saw on a mega swampert. It is extremely useful against heatran if I can predict a switch and then kill with Mach Punch. Also it is very unexpected and has won me quite a few matches. Rock Tomb is for the Talonflames running around the meta.bullet seed for pokemon like Azumarill and other ground or water types. Also it hits hard against pokemon which don't resist it. After a power-up punch boost or two it is extremely hard to kill thanks to priority Mach Punch.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Counter

My stealth rocker and defogger. This guy is a tank that cannot be touched by physical attacks. Roost is to keep sturdy in place and counter is to hit pokemon who are foolish enough to use a physical attack on skarmory. With Magnezone rampant through the meta i decided to give my skarmory a shed shell and switch to heatran to get the Flash Fire boost. Removing mega mence and mega metagross is no easy feat but skarmory manages to pull it off.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lastly my heatran. With the specially defensive set all over the place I decided to go with the rather unexpected specially offensive set. This moveset gives me maximum coverage. Also it takes out opposing skarmorys, metagross and fairies that normally annoy my team. It easily 2HKOs clefable and also ruins other heatrans with earth power. Hp ice helps against garchomp switch ins who hope to KO me. Since I have air balloon I will definitely have a free turn to KO any threats.

Threat list

One huge threat is mega swampert in rain. It kills almost my entire team and skarmory is the only switching to that pokemon.

Another common wall I gave is mega Venusaur. My only option is Extrasensory but greninja cannot be switched in to Mega Venusaur. Along with Mega Venusaur, whimsicott is a huge problem for I don't have taunt and it keeps using subs+leech seed.

Feel free to criticise my team
Sorry for no pics cause I'm not sure how to put them ^.^

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Gunk Shot/Low Kick do work on Greninja. It says Illegal, but works anyway. They're working on that.
But, a rather cool team man.

But may I suggest the bulkier set on Breloom?

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Substitute
- Focus Punch/Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb/Rock Slide

It's rather bulky, so I recommend trying it out.

Gunk Shot/Low Kick do work on Greninja. It says Illegal, but works anyway. They're working on that.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Substitute
- Seed Bomb/Rock Slide

Bulky loom is life
I'm using it myself.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Hi Disciple_1 your team looks good but there are a few thing too work on. First of all, I read in your first sentences that this team is made for ORAS but your prefix is XY OU, so I am going to rate this based off ORAS OU.

Greninja:
With a Modest nature, Greninja gets outsped by base 108 speed and higher such as Keldeo, Latios and Mega-Gallade. A Timid (or Naive, will explain later) is way better because it helps outspeeding much more pokemon.
You said showdown doesn't allow Greninja to use Gunk Shot, if you put it in the Teambuilder it says illegal but it is legal when you play with it. Gunk Shot is a great addition and I would definitely use it. The EV Spread you probably want is 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe as you have the sure KO on Azumarill with Gunk Shot.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

With a Naive nature, you will have + Speed nature, which helps outspeeding Keldeo, Latios, Starmie et cetera, without losing points in Attack.
Hydro Pump is chosen over Scald as Greninja isn't bulky enough to live any hit, so he wants to KO whatever he can. Hydro Pump makes a lot 2HKO's OHKO's

Rotom-W seems fine, however I would change his speed to either 44 Spe to outspeed Jolly Azumarill, or 30 IVs to have a slow volt switch against other Rotom-Washes.

Breloom has a awesome move in Spore and it would be a shame to not make use of it. Power-Up Punch is probably the move you want to drop as the other 3 offensive moves helps you a lot more than PuP. If you still want a way to boost your attack; use Swords Dance over Rock Tomb. I would change the item to a Focus Sash or Life Orb instead of Leftovers. Breloom is frail so a sash is great to live at least one hit and this can help you a lot. Life Orb gives you very much power (you can OHKO 252/16+ Mega Slowbro with 4 hits IIRC)

Heatran doesn't really fit in your team and the moveset doesn't seem optimal.
Greninja really appreciates Voltturn to come in safely and with Rotom-W and Landorus-T you already have a good voltturn core. You can finish this core with Mega Manectric. It gives some extra speed to your team, you have a double intimidate core with Lando-T and you can still kill Scizor and Ferrothorn with Overheat. Mega Manectric's weakness to ground doesn't seem problematic as you have 2 flying types, 1 levitater and 1 resist to ground moves.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Substitute
- Seed Bomb/Rock Slide

Hmm I thought about the bulkier version but I wanted to abuse looms technician and rock tomb + technician is dead flying types. But I will definitely change the Leftovers to sash.

Hi Disciple_1 your team looks good but there are a few thing too work on. First of all, I read in your first sentences that this team is made for ORAS but your prefix is XY OU, so I am going to rate this based off ORAS OU.

Greninja:
With a Modest nature, Greninja gets outsped by base 108 speed and higher such as Keldeo, Latios and Mega-Gallade. A Timid (or Naive, will explain later) is way better because it helps outspeeding much more pokemon.
You said showdown doesn't allow Greninja to use Gunk Shot, if you put it in the Teambuilder it says illegal but it is legal when you play with it. Gunk Shot is a great addition and I would definitely use it. The EV Spread you probably want is 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe as you have the sure KO on Azumarill with Gunk Shot.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

With a Naive nature, you will have + Speed nature, which helps outspeeding Keldeo, Latios, Starmie et cetera, without losing points in Attack.
Hydro Pump is chosen over Scald as Greninja isn't bulky enough to live any hit, so he wants to KO whatever he can. Hydro Pump makes a lot 2HKO's OHKO's

Rotom-W seems fine, however I would change his speed to either 44 Spe to outspeed Jolly Azumarill, or 30 IVs to have a slow volt switch against other Rotom-Washes.

Breloom has a awesome move in Spore and it would be a shame to not make use of it. Power-Up Punch is probably the move you want to drop as the other 3 offensive moves helps you a lot more than PuP. If you still want a way to boost your attack; use Swords Dance over Rock Tomb. I would change the item to a Focus Sash or Life Orb instead of Leftovers. Breloom is frail so a sash is great to live at least one hit and this can help you a lot. Life Orb gives you very much power (you can OHKO 252/16+ Mega Slowbro with 4 hits IIRC)

Heatran doesn't really fit in your team and the moveset doesn't seem optimal.
Greninja really appreciates Voltturn to come in safely and with Rotom-W and Landorus-T you already have a good voltturn core. You can finish this core with Mega Manectric. It gives some extra speed to your team, you have a double intimidate core with Lando-T and you can still kill Scizor and Ferrothorn with Overheat. Mega Manectric's weakness to ground doesn't seem problematic as you have 2 flying types, 1 levitater and 1 resist to ground moves.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
Thank you for your rate. I wI'll certainly make the necessary changes to greninja but having mega Manectric kinda goes against a no mega team. But how about thunderus therian? It has a fast volt switch and hits harder than mega Manectric. Heatran has his uses in the team by completing checking Magnezone and plus I have a fire type immunity so I would rather not change it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)