Resource Don't Use That; Use This (ORAS Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't use this:

Sceptile@Sceptilinite
Jolly
252 atk/4 dfc/252 spd
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Dragon Claw/Outrage
-Earthquake

Why it's bad:
I admittedly don't see this an awful lot on the ladder but I can see why people would be drawn to it and why it might rise in usage. With no way to boost it's excellent Special Attack outside of the unreliable lightningrod, many would naturally be drawn to the fact Sceptile has a great physical movepool that includes dual STAB and has an amazing way to boost this with Swords Dance. Couple this with a speed tier only outpaced naturally by Mega Aero and Mega Zam and Sceptile may seem the ideal sweeper. This unfortunately is not true. 105 base attack is downright terrible without a boosting item or ability and your primary STAB of Grass isn't getting you very far either. While this can actually work as a possible lure or surprise factor, you really have to know what you're doing in part due to it's great frailty and it should never be your primary choice for Mega Sceptile or a physically-inclined mega dragon sweeper.

Use this instead:

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Or

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Naive/Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake/Protect
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast/HP Fire

Why it's better:
All-out attacking with Leaf Storm or hiding behind a Substitute to fire off strong special attacks is where Sceptile's true strengths really lie. Sceptile handles offensive teams in this fashion extremely well by revenge killing slower dragons and other frailer fast attackers such as Mega Lopunny with a strong STAB leaf storm. A Substitute set also works out really well because Sceptile can force a lot of switches and stay safe behind a sub, proceeding to recover health for more substitutes through Giga Drain and nabbing a lot of 2HKOs it wouldn't usually.

Or...

Use these instead:

Altaria @ Altariaite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 64 HP / 192 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Why they're better:
If you want a physical dragon mega sweeper, these should be your first considerations. Mega Charizard X is still as good as it was in XY; Dragon Dancing once already makes it better than a +2 Mega Sceptile due to the higher speed at +1, the higher base attack, tough claws and adamant making it more powerful at +1 than +2 Sceptile, having a better secondary STAB and better bulk. In addition it gets longevity in Roost and cannot be burned, sealing the deal on why Swords Dance Sceptile has nothing over it but a T-wave immunity -- which is admittedly useful but it's a very small niche and again, you really have to know what you're doing and I wouldn't recommend this to someone unless they're experienced. Altaria is a viable choice as a D-Dancer over Charizard with Fairy STAB, a better defensive typing and general bulk.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
To be fair SD M-Sceptile has its use as a lure to its traditional checks such as Clefable through the use of Iron Tail. I wouldn't really endorse it per say and I know you made a mention that you have to know what you're doing to use it but it seems weird explaining a don't use this use that using two sets that have completely different functions. Also M-Sceptiles role differs from that of the other dragons in the first place. If anything it makes more sense to say use Dragon Dance Char-X over SD Sceptile in regards to a physical dragon sweeper. I don't exactly follow this thread too much so I guess Aragorn the King could elaborate more in depth about what makes sense and what doesn't.

To be fair SD M-Sceptile has its use as a lure to its traditional checks such as Clefable through the use of Iron Tail. I wouldn't really endorse it per say and I know you made a mention that you have to know what you're doing to use it but it seems weird explaining a don't use this use that using two sets that have completely different functions. Also M-Sceptiles role differs from that of the other dragons in the first place. If anything it makes more sense to say use Dragon Dance Char-X over SD Sceptile in regards to a physical dragon sweeper. I don't exactly follow this thread too much so I guess Aragorn the King could elaborate more in depth about what makes sense and what doesn't.
I tend to make mentions of sets of Pokémon that should not be used and then give a different set of the same Pokémon that fulfills a completely different function but is viable. This is because I consider this thread to mostly be for the benefit of newer players (hence posts like don't use Jolteon, Steelix, Florges, etc. to help them understand) who when getting into competitive would likely choose a Pokémon based on the merit that they like the Pokémon rather than it's competitive value. Therefore I figure that if they really want to use it, I'll give them a set that can make it work. Of course I can understand the flaws in that and if it's deemed unsuitable for the thread - help me here Aragorn the King - then I'll remove mentions of them; but generally when I'm helping out new players, they tend to want to base their team around their favourite from a list of viable 'mon I show them.

Don't use this:

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Why it's bad:
In XY, one of Terrakion's best sets was a Focus Sash SR lead, as it's good speed along with Taunt let it set up Stealth Rock and stop the opponent from doing so. However, in ORAS, Mega Sableye is pretty much a hard stop to this set. SR and Taunt are both bounced back by Magic Bounce, while Sableye can use Prankster Will-O-Wisp to neuter Terrakion.

Use this instead:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion / Fire Blast
- Skill Swap

Why it's better:
Lead Azelf is imo better than lead Terrakion in ORAS. It has better speed, and can go out with Explosion, grabbing momentum for the team, and making Defog or Rapid Spin attempts futile. However, the main catch is Skill Swap. This allows Azelf to swap away Magic Bounce from the likes of Mega Diancie or Mega Sableye, and set up SR and Taunt it. SR isn't guaranteed though, because Sableye could stay non-mega, so Skill Swap is actually a 50/50 if your opponent knows you have Skill Swap.

Last edited:
Don't use this:

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Why it's bad:
In XY, one of Terrakion's best sets was a Focus Sash SR lead, as it's good speed along with Taunt let it set up Stealth Rock and stop the opponent from doing so. However, in ORAS, Mega Sableye is pretty much a hard stop to this set. SR and Taunt are both bounced back by Magic Bounce, while Sableye can use Prankster Will-O-Wisp to neuter Terrakion.

Use this instead:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Skill Swap

Why it's better:
Lead Azelf is imo better than lead Terrakion in ORAS. It has better speed, and can go out with Explosion, grabbing momentum for the team, and making Defog or Rapid Spin attempts futile. However, the main catch is Skill Swap. This allows Azelf to swap away Magic Bounce from the likes of Mega Diancie or Mega Sableye, and set up SR and Taunt it. SR isn't guaranteed though, because Sableye could stay non-mega, so Skill Swap is actually a 50/50 if your opponent knows you have Skill Swap.
Also, if you want to use Terrakion, you can run SD+3 attacks, Rock Polish, double booster, choice set, SubSD... pretty much all of those are better things for it to be doing. Granted, it's not overpowering, but it's still legit.

Don't use this:

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Why it's bad:

Use this instead:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Skill Swap

Why it's better:
Minor nitpick, slash Fire Blast with Explosion as it is a very viable option to beat Ferro and whatnot who try to set up spikes and such as well.

Don't Use This

Code:
Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
Use This

Code:
Landorus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Stealth Rock
It might be really tempting to use Nidoking in OU given its badass design, very solid movepool, and stats, but 9.9 times out of 10, you'll be wondering why you didn't have Landorus. The Sand Genie outshines the Hormonal Rabbit in so many ways; Landorus has higher special attack, a competitive speed benchmark, and is equipped with more versatile options to beat defensive opponents (Calm Mind, Knock Off) and offensive opponents (Rock Polish). And even Nidoking's what would be "unique" attributes are mirrored by Landorus. Sheer Force, Ground/Poison/Fight Coverage, Stealth Rock...the list goes on.

But Nidoking has dat poison typing, so now it's neutral or resists grass, fighting, and bug, Questro! Landorus's flying type just so happens to grant it the same defensive qualities, furthered by a ground immunity. Admittedly, Landorus does not have a fairy resistance but can at least compensate with poison coverage.

Nidoking does have its merits, mainly in its insane coverage options like Fire Blast and BoltBeam which can catch slower balanced teams off guard, but it simply can't compete in the environment where Landorus is playing. And that's just the special attacking set. Their physical sets, while less common this generation for Landorus, are still in favor of Landorus for its higher attack and ability to boost directly or indirectly (Sand Force/Swords Dance/Bulk Up). Choice Scarf sets? Lando's got that sexy U-turn to wear down counters better and a more important speed placement.

Simply, just use Landorus.

On a side note, if you decide against heeding my advice, it's understandable. I have a super soft spot for the Nidos as well, and King's Superpower/Earth Power/Sludge Wave/Ice Beam set is actually pretty good at dismantling defensive cores, and in my opinion, it's not totally unviable, just in the shadow of Lando. Cheers

Don't Use This

Code:
Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
Use This

Code:
Landorus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Stealth Rock
It might be really tempting to use Nidoking in OU given its badass design, very solid movepool, and stats, but 9.9 times out of 10, you'll be wondering why you didn't have Landorus. The Sand Genie outshines the Hormonal Rabbit in so many ways; Landorus has higher special attack, a competitive speed benchmark, and is equipped with more versatile options to beat defensive opponents (Calm Mind, Knock Off) and offensive opponents (Rock Polish). And even Nidoking's what would be "unique" attributes are mirrored by Landorus. Sheer Force, Ground/Poison/Fight Coverage, Stealth Rock...the list goes on.

But Nidoking has dat poison typing, so now it's neutral or resists grass, fighting, and bug, Questro! Landorus's flying type just so happens to grant it the same defensive qualities, furthered by a ground immunity. Admittedly, Landorus does not have a fairy resistance but can at least compensate with poison coverage.

Nidoking does have its merits, mainly in its insane coverage options like Fire Blast and BoltBeam which can catch slower balanced teams off guard, but it simply can't compete in the environment where Landorus is playing. And that's just the special attacking set. Their physical sets, while less common this generation for Landorus, are still in favor of Landorus for its higher attack and ability to boost directly or indirectly (Sand Force/Swords Dance/Bulk Up). Choice Scarf sets? Lando's got that sexy U-turn to wear down counters better and a more important speed placement.

Simply, just use Landorus.

On a side note, if you decide against heeding my advice, it's understandable. I have a super soft spot for the Nidos as well, and King's Superpower/Earth Power/Sludge Wave/Ice Beam set is actually pretty good at dismantling defensive cores, and in my opinion, it's not totally unviable, just in the shadow of Lando. Cheers
I've never tried this, but Nidoking might have a place over Landorus on trick room teams.

I've never tried this, but Nidoking might have a place over Landorus on trick room teams.
No; Nidoking's base speed is 85 which really isn't slow enough. I won't go into a whole Analysis on it since TR Nidoking isn't used much if at all ever; but quite simply there are other Pokémon who have similar coverage with slower speeds and better special attack to abuse Trick Room.

Really takes work to create a team, not just put rotom-w, Landorus-t, talonflame, Heatran, excadrill and Chansey. Sometimes you have to think a little.
Now put Nidoking alone without any strategy really is too bad.

Of course Nidoking isolated in a totally random team is weak. But if used for good players can win several games. Landorus is mostly used because it is much easier to use. Does not mean that the hardest Pokemon to use are bad because the game depends a lot on your team.
Here's the thing though, is it worth putting that extra effort into using X when Y does pretty much the same thing? In this case, Nidoking has quite a few flaws, and it's pros over Landorus ultimately don't make that much of a difference. From this point of view, Nidoking actually is bad when you compare it to Landorus. Being able to compensate for Nidoking's flaws is fine, but helping it's problems during teambuilding doesn't mean that it doesn't have problems.

You could say that something like Kaputops is in the same boat, it needs plenty of support to work, etc. However, what Kabutops does is (relatively) unique, and it can flat out end games. Giving Nidoking similar amounts of support allows it to do the same things that Landorus could do without the support, which is nowhere near enough to justify it's use.

Raikour has better stats in every single stat than heliolisk, and it also has a better movepool to cover more types.
Hate to be that one asshole who references a post from, like, 3 pages ago, but if there's one thing helio's got over raikou, it's movepool. Surf, grass knot, focus blast, dark pulse, hyper voice AND hidden power? That sounds a hell of a lot better than shadow ball and extrasensory. Your other points are sound, but that one is simply untrue.

Hate to be that one asshole who references a post from, like, 3 pages ago, but if there's one thing helio's got over raikou, it's movepool. Surf, grass knot, focus blast, dark pulse, hyper voice AND hidden power? That sounds a hell of a lot better than shadow ball and extrasensory. Your other points are sound, but that one is simply untrue.
Some Raikou run Aura Sphere despite being nature-locked. Regardless, those moves are generally irrelevant in the face of Raikou's better... everything, really.

Some Raikou run Aura Sphere despite being nature-locked. Regardless, those moves are generally irrelevant in the face of Raikou's better... everything, really.
Yes, I'm not saying heliolisk is better than raikou, or evern OU viable, but it does have a better movepool than thundercat. That's like saying "mega gallade totally outclasses mega medicham because they have the same typing, gallade gets SD, and gallade has a better ability. Well, not really but lol who cares?" Why not just be correct in the first place?

Here's the thing though, is it worth putting that extra effort into using X when Y does pretty much the same thing? In this case, Nidoking has quite a few flaws, and it's pros over Landorus ultimately don't make that much of a difference. From this point of view, Nidoking actually is bad when you compare it to Landorus. Being able to compensate for Nidoking's flaws is fine, but helping it's problems during teambuilding doesn't mean that it doesn't have problems.

You could say that something like Kaputops is in the same boat, it needs plenty of support to work, etc. However, what Kabutops does is (relatively) unique, and it can flat out end games. Giving Nidoking similar amounts of support allows it to do the same things that Landorus could do without the support, which is nowhere near enough to justify it's use.
Tbh the only reason to use nido is if you need a glue mon that can learn boltbeam+fire coverage and a powerful stab but if you need that you re better of just using latios :/ Sheer force gives it a pseudo protean too and a scarf set inst completely bad but yeah, youre better off using lando with life orb or scarf latios.

Don't use this:

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Levitate | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Jolly
Earthquake | Outrage/Dragon Claw | U-turn | Fire Punch

Why it's bad:
Flygon is simply extremely outclassed as an offensive Dragon Type. While it's stats were decent in Gen 3, the power and speed creep means that Base 100 speed is not quite enough to keep up with the current metagame - especially as a lot of scarfers are faster like Terrakion and Garchomp - and Base 100 attack is horrendously weak without a boost. Pretty much every Dragon-type in OU is stronger and the vast majority of them have more speed to their name. Even the ones that don't have either enough bulk, utility or impressive abilities that allow them to stand out. Choice Scarf users are best off when they have at least one large offensive stat to abuse, or a decent offensive stat boosted by an ability -- Flygon has neither and there are far better Pokémon for the job. Hence, offensively, Flygon has absolutely no niche in the OU Metagame.

Use these instead:

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Rough Skin | 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe | Jolly / Naive
Outrage | Earthquake | Rock Slide / Stone Edge | Dragon Claw / Fire Blast

Kyurem-B @ Choice Scarf
Teravolt | 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe | Naive
Outrage | Dragon Claw | Fusion Bolt | Ice Beam / Iron Head

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Intimidate | 252 Atk / 24 Dfc / 232 Spe | Jolly
Earthquake | U-turn | Stone Edge | Superpower / Knock Off

Why they're better:
Garchomp is, offensively, an improvement over Flygon in every way. A very significant increase in bulk, a slightly better speed stat and a massive increase in physical attack immediately stand out as making Garchomp far superior. It's earthquakes hit hard, it's coverage hits hard, and holy fuck does it's outrage hit hard. It's damn good bulk actually let it take a hit or two while it's ability Rough Skin is nice for chip damage, compared to Levitate which was useless from an offensive standpoint on a Pokémon that didn't care about ground moves in the first place. While it might not be as effective as it used to be, Scarf Garchomp is still the absolute reason to never use Scarf Flygon.
Alternatively, Ubers was nice enough to grace the OU Metagame with motherfucking Kyurem-B. Yeah sure, maybe it's not quite as fast as Flygon (5 points tho lol), holy mother of god does it wreck things with the scarf set. 170 base attack. 170 base attack. The dex entry talks about it eating children and I'm inclined to believe it. Scarf Kyurem-B is just another reason why Scarf Flygon should not be used. Yeah, it doesn't have STAB Earthquake or... Earthquake at all for some reason, but 170 attack Outrages are likely going to murder anything Earthquake wanted to anyway. Combine this with it's nice coverage in Fusion Bolt, Iron Head to kill fairies and Ice Beam to get past those annoying physical walls, it's safe to say Kyurem-B is the scarf dragon you don't want to up against.
One final choice for a scarf user is Landorus-Therian. I think you can go like a minimum of two games these days without seeing it lol but it's common for a reason. I included it because neither of the above examples had U-turn and hence you might be inclined to still use Flygon as a pivot. Well, here's my answer. Landorus-T still has Flygon's Ground typing and 145 attack means it's Earthquakes will be hitting super hard. U-turn will also be hitting a lot harder to get out of a ton of situations while Stone Edge and Superpower/Knock Off deal with everything else, and it's a far better pivot due to Intimidate crippling any physical attacker. The basic point of all this is to demonstrate that everything you want Flygon to do as a scarfer, there's another Scarfer which does the same thing but hits a damn lot harder. And yes, while Flygon is the only one of these to combine Dragon STAB, Earthquake STAB and U-turn, there's virtually no situations that will be useful thanks to the fact that Flygon's damage output, thanks to power and defence creep, is about as soft as a young child's.

Or...

Flygon @ Leftovers
Levitate | 208 HP / 148 Def / 152 Spe | Naive
Earthquake | Defog | Roost | Fire Blast

Why it's better:
If you really want to use Flygon, well guess what, it's actually viable! ... as a supportive set. If you want to use Flygon offensively, this is not for you, but if you are absolutely dead set on using Flygon here is it's one viable niche in OU pioneered by Tokyo Tom . This niche is as a defogger, but it only works on very select teams and you have to know what you're doing, because there's few reasons to use this over better defoggers like Lati@s. The simple idea behind this is that it's a more defensively-orientated Flygon with Defog; this works because it's immune to three entry hazards and doesn't give a shit about the last (stealth rock), making it easy to switch in and Defog the hazards away. It also has Roost for longevity, and Fire Blast + Earthquake beat a lot of setters like Excadrill and Ferrothorn. If you want to make Flygon work, this is the way; but you're not going to get any good offensive pressure out of it until someone in Game Freak decides to make Flygonite.

This may not be the greatest mon in OU, but I need a place to say this and UU doesn't have a thread for this, so here goes:

Don't use this:

with Water Pulse or Dragon Pulse

Why it's bad: Sure, both of these moves get the Mega Launcher boost, but neither is particularly good. Water Pulse isn't very strong, and its confusion chance isn't very reliable. As for Dragon Pulse, it's not terrible, but it's generally outclassed for coverage, especially super effective coverage.

Instead, use this:

with Scald/Hydro Pump or Ice Beam, respectively

Why it's better: Scald is slightly less powerful than Water Pulse, but it has both a better side effect and a better chance to get it. If power is more your thing, Hydro Pump is stronger than Water Pulse, albeit less accurate, but if you're using Mega Blastoise at all, you should be breaking walls, and you are generally less disadvantaged if you miss while wallbreaking than if it happens while sweeping (but that's another topic). As for Ice Beam, it hits Dragons like Dragon Pulse does, but also hits Grass types, which other Water mons may struggle with, as well as nailing Flying mons as a bonus. For what it's worth, it also destroys 4x weak Dragons like Garchomp or Dragonite, and unlike Dragon Pulse, has no immunities.

This may not be the greatest mon in OU, but I need a place to say this and UU doesn't have a thread for this, so here goes:

Don't use this:

with Water Pulse or Dragon Pulse

Why it's bad: Sure, both of these moves get the Mega Launcher boost, but neither is particularly good. Water Pulse isn't very strong, and its confusion chance isn't very reliable. As for Dragon Pulse, it's not terrible, but it's generally outclassed for coverage, especially super effective coverage.

Instead, use this:

with Scald/Hydro Pump or Ice Beam, respectively

Why it's better: Scald is slightly less powerful than Water Pulse, but it has both a better side effect and a better chance to get it. If power is more your thing, Hydro Pump is stronger than Water Pulse, albeit less accurate, but if you're using Mega Blastoise at all, you should be breaking walls, and you are generally less disadvantaged if you miss while wallbreaking than if it happens while sweeping (but that's another topic). As for Ice Beam, it hits Dragons like Dragon Pulse does, but also hits Grass types, which other Water mons may struggle with, as well as nailing Flying mons as a bonus. For what it's worth, it also destroys 4x weak Dragons like Garchomp or Dragonite, and unlike Dragon Pulse, has no immunities.
While I would have agreed with you about Scald before ORAS...

252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 130-154 (42.7 - 50.6%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Water Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

The slight damage increase has suddenly become quite relevant for handling one of the most important threats in the OU Metagame right now. It's still a toss up, but I'd just run Water Pulse personally.

Yeah, the higher Water Pulse power and it having a good effect of it's own do see viability in water pulse. I'd say pulse is better TBH due to M.Eye.

While I would have agreed with you about Scald before ORAS...

252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 130-154 (42.7 - 50.6%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Water Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

The slight damage increase has suddenly become quite relevant for handling one of the most important threats in the OU Metagame right now. It's still a toss up, but I'd just run Water Pulse personally.
Well you can also factor in the scald burn chance and hazards on the calc vs M sableye. I know relying on hax is bad but come on, if youre hitting 3+ scalds its probably gonna Get a buburn.

Well you can also factor in the scald burn chance and hazards on the calc vs M sableye. I know relying on hax is bad but come on, if youre hitting 3+ scalds its probably gonna Get a buburn.
Hazard calcs could be considered but your opponent hardly lets you set them up if you're dealing with Mega Sableye. Not that they're irrelevant though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)