DotA

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
doom change was really uncalled for but devour looks really good.

potm buff is on par with the zeus agility nerf for stupid and weird changes.

visage might be playable.

since Aghanim no longer improves Doom's duration or cooldown, guess it's no longer that useful to get it on Luci, but the devour change is nice, and at least his ulti has a shorter cooldown at lv 1 and 2 compared to how much it had before

Invoker buffs are cool

and finally Mortred's Blur was fixed on images so now Manta can sometimes be considered if opponent team has Roof or Luci or something (although I had much rather preferred it on her back when Manta had been upgraded from Diffusal, and in that case I didn't level Blur and got BFly) even though BFury/PT/BKB/Satanic/MKB/BFury (later BoT > PT) is much more solid and more practical nearly all the time

So apparently DotA is surprisingly popular at my residential college (Rice's equivalent of a 'dorm'), and we have players that run from casual dudes to people in clans. I have Warcraft III and stuff, so I decided to join in on the fun.

My roommate has already showed me the basics, like last-hitting and denying. My questions are: 1) what hero(s) should I start out learning the ropes with, and 2) is there anything a new player should know for sure that might not be readily apparent?

So apparently DotA is surprisingly popular at my residential college (Rice's equivalent of a 'dorm'), and we have players that run from casual dudes to people in clans. I have Warcraft III and stuff, so I decided to join in on the fun.

My roommate has already showed me the basics, like last-hitting and denying. My questions are: 1) what hero(s) should I start out learning the ropes with, and 2) is there anything a new player should know for sure that might not be readily apparent?
There is some discussion in this thread on those very topics a few pages back. Skeleton King is probably the easiest hero to learn, as he only has one active skill.

As for things that new players should know that might not be obvious, one that I would say comes up a lot is staying with your team. It sounds really obvious, but simply showing up to team fights is a lot better than sitting them out. Even in the very worst case scenario, if you show up, you'll still soak up damage for your team. Which is something. And something is better than nothing.

Oh and all heroes have 25% spell reduction. So if you use a spell that does 100 on a hero, it will actually do 75 damage. This is very important for calculating whether or not your or your opponent will survive a given attack.

On a closing note, if you really want to learn, I still recommend the same guide that I took a great deal from.

http://www.playdota.com/guides/comprehensive-gameplay-guide

It's a very, very large index of every single thing you need to know about DotA, but if you have the time it will expand your knowledge immensely.

It's great to have some new Smogon DotA players! Hope we can play some matches some time!

I actually wouldn't recommend going into teamfights if you're starting. You should probably just learn how to stay alive/kill in a lane as well as farming. The reason I recommend this is because one of my friends has been playing for 4~ years and still has no idea how to play farming heroes because of this (he goes ganking at lvl 2 with Void and other stupid shit).

Edit: Here's a replay of me playing PL (it was a decent game, we would've lost if the other team was better): http://www.dotaparser.com/index.php/replay/view/186078/

In all, I loved the changes in this version. Usually I question whether some of the changes are really needed, but this one I almost have no quarrels over. The one thing I find stupid is how IceFrog constantly changes Eyes in the Forest. I kind of liked the change, but the fact that you have eyes that are easier to spot/kill is a nerf in terms of map control.

I think it's a bit too much that Magnus' Empower can now give splash damage to allied melee heroes, actually even more than a single BFury does, as if things like Magnus + BFury Mortred weren't already quite imba enough in pubs and even in some in-house games I've played, although rarely seen until now, since people just haven't picked Magnus that often, despite the fact that he has already been a very solid hero.

I like the Clinkz change quite a lot, now he can have more overall hp so he doesn't have to go for Skadi/BKB/etc. that early on not to die in a few seconds in team clashes.

Soul Ring seems to be a bit imba despite the hp cost, it really solves pretty much all mana problems early in the game for all or at least most heroes, and it's still useful in mid-game.

edit: liking the TB and Techies changes a lot

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
tb and centaur changes are nice. this is probably the first version without any totally retarded changes, although it has its share of inconsequential crap (storm nerf??)

tb and centaur changes are nice. this is probably the first version without any totally retarded changes, although it has its share of inconsequential crap (storm nerf??)
The Storm range nerf was weird (as it only is a difference of 20), but a step in the right direction (i.e. using ball lightning with more precision). I haven't seen it for myself, but apparently Mag is now extremely retarded.

I used to DoTA alot. Inhouses, leagues, tourneys ect. Stopped about 6 months ago. Just lost interest really. I was pretty good at it back then. Meh.

eww.. no (to the "worse than LoL part"; both are great)

thanks for telling about the open beta.. gonna make an acc

Its such a blatant rip of Dota. most of the heroes have the same skills (diff names, but same effect).

League of Legends is better than this.
Haha, of course it's a "rip off" of DotA. The makers of DotA helped develop the game. It's supposed to be a AAA release of the game.

The idea is they wanted to change as little as possible, while updating misc things like the interface and game lobbies.

I feel League of legends is more of a rip off, since it basically copies the design of the game, and just changes the heroes and items. Heroes of Newerth is supposed to be DotA 2.0.

Heroes of Newerth is more for hardcore DotA players and competitive players, whereas League of Legends is easy for beginners to get into the genre. Both are very well done games.

Haha, of course it's a "rip off" of DotA. The makers of DotA helped develop the game. It's supposed to be a AAA release of the game.

The idea is they wanted to change as little as possible, while updating misc things like the interface and game lobbies.

I feel League of legends is more of a rip off, since it basically copies the design of the game, and just changes the heroes and items. Heroes of Newerth is supposed to be DotA 2.0.

Heroes of Newerth is more for hardcore DotA players and competitive players, whereas League of Legends is easy for beginners to get into the genre. Both are very well done games.
I'm pretty sure IceFrog just gave them permission to use stuff from DotA rather than help them develop it (since IceFrog is making his own version with Valve).

man after basically 4 months 6.68 still isn't out yet, but at least a teaser video had just been released showing 4 new heroes (not including the Pheonix), as well as info about Aghanim working for Tiny (and judging from the vid, for Warlock as well), a new basic item: Orb Of Venom (so now Viper is useless much?), and seems like 24/7 ganking heroes such as Pudge and ganking strategies in general are going to make a huge comeback with not losing hero kill gold if dying (may get tweaked)

guess dota is going to get completely revolutionized by this patch; just the timing sucks that this patch is going to be out in the first 1-2 weeks SC2 is released

I'm pretty sure IceFrog just gave them permission to use stuff from DotA rather than help them develop it (since IceFrog is making his own version with Valve).
just now Pendragon had closed down Dota-Allstars, but in his message that he had left behind he mentioned that Icefrog had actually been working together with S2 Games; take that with a grain of salt though

Coolness. Downloading and gonna play right now. Hopefully the new heroes won't be ridiculously broken like they always are when first introduced.

Its such a blatant rip of Dota. most of the heroes have the same skills (diff names, but same effect).

League of Legends is better than this.
HoN is admittedly a rip off of DotA, but it's still better. It's DotA but not limited to the shitty WC III engine.

This Thrall character is so fucking annoying. AoE silence + health sap + a skill that makes it so you go to where you were 4 seconds ago + the fact you can't run anyway = GAY.

The other ones aren't as bad, the Gyro is actually pretty fucking bad ass.

Oh and please nerf the poison on Shadow whatever he is please.

Played quite some games, wisp is the ultimate gangbangfucker, seriously that thing is a hero to my heart. Sadly it lasthits for shit due to not being able to see an attack animation.

Thrall didnt stand out to me yet, maybe i have yet to see a good one.

Gyrocopter is good fun, but especially heat seeking missile is imba, ultimate finisher/ganking tool

I will not talk about the shadow poison thing whatsover, what a horrid motherfucker.

Also, Tiny mad

I've been using Pudge so much today with now Meat Hook doing pure damage and the new gold system

(there are SO many fucking leavers that one might as well use an early-mid hero like Pudge anyway, no point farming 30+ mins only for all from Scourge or the host to leave, which is one of my biggest concerns regarding dota right now, and had been in the past months; I sure fucking hope they'll add some kind of anti-leave system like in HoN when they'll release dota for Steam)

Thrall and Eradar are pretty boring to use, and kinda tough to play against

Gyrocopter would be a pretty cool hardcarry with his 3rd skill, but again, leavers ruin any sort of attempt at trying to carry these days in pubs; and he isn't exactly that good of a ganker (seeker missile depending quite a lot on distance travelled and first skill being casted around self in a not too big AoE)

hadn't tried out Wisp or other new stuff yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)