Resource DOU Effective Cores

252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 76+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 307-361 (84.3 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
96 Spe allows regular Venusaur to outspeed Deo-A in TW or take an advantage of Sun.
Rest dumped into DEF.
Ok, I getcha. Thanks for the info, fam. Is there any Sp Atk investment that would be noteworthy with the remaining EVs that were put into Defense?

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Misty Seed
Ability: Magician
EVs: 192 HP / 224 Atk / 92 Def
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

This is a p cool offensive trick room core that does p well on both full and semi tr teams. Hoopa can chunk p much every common steel right now for mawile (so aegislash, tran, celesteela, w/e) and mawile p much craps on the few things that can wall hoopa (t tar, intimidate mons). I mean, they dont have a ton of synergy, but between the two of them, you can chunk every pokemon in doubles for at least 50-60%. I'm running misty seed on hoopa cuz i have tapu fini, but you can p much run w/e you want. Mawile's got a great movepool, so just run whatever your team needs some help with. it gets ice punch for lando and mence, fire fang for ferro and celesteela, and like a bunch of other stuff. The only mon that can switch in safely-ish is heatran, and that still takes like 40% from a sucker punch. Mega Maw is actually sick af in this meta, it switches in safely on like 75% of the top tier threats, and like nothing can switch in on it

whats good its ya boi coming back at you with a sick double post got another core lol

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Marsh + Char Y is a p cool offensive core. Charizard mindlessly spams heat wave while marsh deals with t tar, snorlax, salamence, lando t, zygarde, and heatran. You need some chip damage to guarantee KOs on mega mence, ass vest lando t, and zygarde, so be aware of that. If they switch into a zard heat wave, you can follow up with hp ice, and that will be enough damage in all three cases. just dont try and snipe them turn one, cuz you'll get slam jam'd. btw, thats why im running hasty > jolly on marsh; you dont actually guarantee any extra ohko's by doing it, but you do a lot more damage to the stuff you dont, its worth doing imo.

The zard set isnt super important here, it should vary depending on the rest of your team. This particular spread is max spatk, enough speed to outspeed adamant max speed lando t, with hp as the dump stat.

This core has some trouble with zapdos and tapu koko, so make sure you're running scarf mamoswine to deal with those two. also this core doesnt like trick room and speed control in general, so have some checks for that.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This thread needs some new life!

Mega Tyranitar + Amoonguss + Tapu Lele
  • Amoonguss uses Rage Powder to help keep Tyranitar safe while it sets up with Dragon Dance
  • This duo has perfect type synergy; Amoonguss comfortably absorbs all the single-target moves Tyranitar is weak to, while Tyranitar in turn has good matchups against Psychic-types, Flying-types and Fire-types
  • A secondary benefit of this core is it checks opposing rain, hail and sun teams relatively well
  • AuraRayquaza edit: "I would say scarf lele + mtar is a very good core too, maybe just add it on the end of mtar + amoong. Being able to block bp from scizor and also outspeed + ko marsh is huge."

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Rock Slide
    - Crunch
    - Protect

Amoonguss @ Wiki Berry
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 196 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
    - Spore
    - Rage Powder
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Protect

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Psychic Surge
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Psychic
    - Moonblast
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Focus Blast

Alolan Ninetales + Scarfed Victini
  • Choice Scarf Victini is able to outspeed and OHKO most fast attackers with Final Gambit, giving Alolan Ninetales a clean shot at setting Aurora Veil
  • Opposing weather setters disrupt this lead by preventing Aurora Veil from being set
  • Shadow Sneak Marshadow also disrupts this lead by significantly dropping Victini's HP before it can use Final Gambit
  • AuraRayquaza edit: "victini needs at least enough attack to ohko 4/0 mgar, which outspeeds + ohkos ninetales. 116 attack evs does that."

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
    Ability: Snow Warning
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Aurora Veil
    - Encore
    - Protect

Victini @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Victory Star
    EVs: 140 HP / 116 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Final Gambit
    - V-create
    - Bolt Strike
    - U-turn

Mega Gengar + Tapu Lele
  • Marshadow severely threatens Mega Gengar with Shadow Sneak, which can OHKO Mega Gengar, but Psychic Terrain turns the tables and allows Mega Gengar to outspeed and OHKO Marshadow.
  • The specific sets aren't important, so just defer to the respective analyses for these two Pokemon.

Torkoal + Tapu Bulu + Diancie (the GenOne special)

• Tapu Bulu is one of the best Trick Room breakers, but TR Bulu archetypes are severely weak to Amoonguss's Spore.
  • Torkoal allows "full Trick Room" teams to check Amoonguss by under-speeding and KO'ing it with Sun-boosted Fire STAB.
  • Weakness Policy Diancie gets more gain and less pain when sun and/or Grassy Terrain are set up. Just make sure you bring solid checks to Steel-types.
  • A secondary benefit of this core is it checks opposing rain teams relatively well.

Torkoal @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Drought
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD
    Quiet Nature
    - Eruption
    - Flamethrower
    - Earth Power
    - Solar Beam

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Grassy Surge
    EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 SpD
    Brave Nature
    - Wood Hammer
    - Horn Leech
    - Superpower
    - Stone Edge

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    - Diamond Storm
    - Moonblast
    - Trick Room
    - Protect
Also, nomming the following cores to be removed:
Also, considering some of these cores were posted as far back as 9 months ago, it may be worth revising some of the posted sets. For example, Fini + Zap is still a top-tier core but there are better spreads/sets for both mons at this point. Perhaps for cores that rely on generic/common sets, we can just link to the Smogon Dex analyses?

Last edited:
I would say scarf lele + mtar is a very good core too, maybe just add it on the end of mtar + amoong. Being able to block bp from scizor and also outspeed + ko marsh is huge.

Also while this isnt the ev spread thread, victini needs at least enough attack to ohko 4/0 mgar, which outspeeds + ohkos ninetales. 116 attack evs does that

Givrix

Mad Dog
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I'm not sure if this core will be accepted (very cheesy one) but whatever:

Togedemaru (LV1) + Stakataka

• togedemaru helps stakataka to get up trick room with fake out, but must be careful of other fake out users
  • endeavor allows stakataka to break many defensives threats, and it claims at least one kill per turn with rock slide (bar aegislash)
  • Beast Boost also helps Stakataka to break a variety of teams in few turns. Rockium Z and Gyro Ball are there to avoid wide guard, and to snipe bulky berry users that can tank endeavor + rock slide (such as Zygarde, Tapu Fini and Amoonguss)

Threat list:

: You can't Fake Out Deoxys so he can freely superpower stakataka (Chople berry can be an alternative choice).

: You just can't break Aegislash with this core, it's crucial to have at least one good answers to Aegislash if you want to play this.

: Can be difficult to play around, especially if Togedemaru is not full life. The Super Berry Variant cannot be beaten in one turn.

Togedemaru @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Endeavor
- Spiky Shield
- Nuzzle / U-turn

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Ally Switch / Protect

Last edited:

• togedemaru helps stakataka to get up trick room with fake out, but must be careful of other fake out users
  • endeavor allows stakataka to break many defensives threats, and it claims at least one kill per turn with rock slide (bar aegislash)
  • Beast Boost also helps Stakataka to break a variety of teams in few turns. Rockium Z and Gyro Ball are there to avoid wide guard, and to snipe bulky berry users that can tank endeavor + rock slide (such as Zygarde, Tapu Fini and Amoonguss)
I understand that this strategy can pose a threat to someone unaware of what they're up against, but I think anyone with a consistently solid team shouldn't be really losing to this, bar hax, or the user out performing their opponent by a large margin. With this being said, it can be implemented to take advantage of certain teams that are not properly prepared, but I don't think it'd really be considered solid, due to inconsistent performance, and not having held any real presence in tours or anything of that nature.

Threat list:

: You can't Fake Out Deoxys so he can freely superpower stakataka (Chople berry can be an alternative choice).

: You just can't break Aegislash with this core, it's crucial to have at least one good answers to Aegislash if you want to play this.

Togedemaru @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Endeavor
- Spiky Shield
- Nuzzle / U-turn

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Ally Switch / Protect
Gimmick sets are not solid material for competent play. You're going to creep around low ladder fighting Safety Goggles Shedinja and Ash's Sinnoh team with this. You are also having a slot dedicated to a Mon that is going to die in two turns. The rebuttal to this is likely to say that you trade one for one, but that's not good enough considering that you could've had something far more useful in that slot that can help set up Trick Room as well as be an actual Mon that will combat other threats such as Scrafty + Stakataka (off the top of my head, never tested this). The meme is not good

Z Strats

Banned deucer.
Gimmick sets are not solid material for competent play. You're going to creep around low ladder fighting Safety Goggles Shedinja and Ash's Sinnoh team with this. You are also having a slot dedicated to a Mon that is going to die in two turns. The rebuttal to this is likely to say that you trade one for one, but that's not good enough considering that you could've had something far more useful in that slot that can help set up Trick Room as well as be an actual Mon that will combat other threats such as Scrafty + Stakataka (off the top of my head, never tested this). The meme is not good
This meme is 100% usable and has been used in tours to some success before. I'm too lazy to find replays of proof but I know even when I've tested it and used it against high-level players I've had some pretty good success. Once trick room is up there's not much an opponent can do to stop an endeavor + spread move killing one of their mons. (Also to add to the threat list ferro is a problem since iron barbs damage goes before shell bell.)

Givrix

Mad Dog
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I agree to say that it's a meme core and is MU reliant, but I think saying "You're going to creep around low ladder" is a little bit extreme.
I've Peaked top 20 (~1750) in less than 60 games (back when snorlax was available) with this core if I renember correctly, and played it against Stax in a SSNL tournament. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-690336269 (some mistakes on my part)

This meme is 100% usable and has been used in tours to some success before. I'm too lazy to find replays of proof but I know even when I've tested it and used it against high-level players I've had some pretty good success. Once trick room is up there's not much an opponent can do to stop an endeavor + spread move killing one of their mons. (Also to add to the threat list ferro is a problem since iron barbs damage goes before shell bell.)
Indeed, I forgot to talk about Ferrothorn. Fixed

Last edited:

SMB

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Tornadus + Zygarde

Tornadus @ Misty Seed / Psychic Seed
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Tailwind
- Protect

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 80 HP / 200 Atk / 48 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Protect

(zygarde could run other set such as choice band, mago berry, etc)

So this offensive core is pretty simple, tornadus beats the few viable ground resist we have (bulu, araquanid) while also taking advantage of opposing intimidate that could annoy zygarde and offers tailwind support. Zygarde also beats mons that could be pretty annoying to deal with for tornadus (electric and steel types mainly) such as metagross and tapu koko.

Threat list:

: bulky mons that can run ice or fairy coverage are a pain for this core since it lacks immediate raw power.

: kyurem can be potentially annoying unless you have caught some boosts with tornadus or you are running a lure set for it on zygarde (z-iron tail).

: if it runs wide guard and you have already used your z move it completely walls this core.

Z Strats

Banned deucer.

Mega Gengar + Kommo-o

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 20 HP / 168 SpA / 68 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Ice / Taunt
- Protect

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Protect

This is one of the more popular cores right now. Kommo is a really strong mon that can be a problem for teams if it fires off its z move. Mega Gengar helps Kommo get into a favourable position to fire its z move because of its ability shadow tag, and also helps kill fairies which are the biggest threat for Kommo.

Threat list:

: Scarf Tapu Lele can outspeed and ohko both Mega Gengar and a +1 speed Kommo

or
: Bulky trick room mons or Lando-t / Mega Salamence can be a threat depending on your Gengar set. If you're taunt then groundium z Lando can live and attack your Kommo with a strong z move or a Mega Salamence can attack you with a powerful flying type move if you aren't set up. If you're hp ice then trick room can be a problem because with fake out support some tr setters can easily set up trick room.

: Tapu Koko can sometimes be a bit of a threat. If your Gengar has a little chip it can ohko it with a LO electric terrain thunderbolt and it can also live any Kommo attack while being able to kill Kommo with a LO dazzling gleam.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Nature's Madness
- Wood Hammer

Milotic @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 88 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Incineroar, milotic and bulu form a nice FWG core that provides a team with a strong defensive backbone and utility. Additional milotic pairs well with the two physical attackers as well as any other physical teammates(I built a sand team i've been enjoying around this core). Just really good defensive synergy that is very easy to build a team around.

Adding super simple core to build around

Gengar + Incineroar + Zapdos

Basic staple mons, a really nice core for beginners to try building around

FO+Taunt handles TR pretty well in the majority of cases(but not definitely)
While Zapdos provides its obvious speed control, and offers itself as a solid switch in for both Incin, and Gengar

Threats:

: Kyub can either OHKO the majority of the core, or offer general harassment through its bulk, and move pool. Icy wind can be especially detrimental to Gengar as it so heavily relies on its speed to handle opposing mons, such as Metagross, who will outspeed it at -1

: While fini is weak to 2 of the stabs provided by the core, those attackers both happen to be Specially bias. With a CM or 2 fini will be extremely difficult to KO without a strong physical attacker to take care of it, such as Tapu Bulu.

: Technically, everything in the core is weak to ground; as a result, Zygarde poses a large threat to on account of said weakness. While Zapdos will just about always be carrying HP ice, it's still a 2HKO, and the other members of the core aren't gonna be able to do much damage without fear of taking quite a bit themselves.

: Sets up on 2/3 mons, and can tank gar if needed. Free set-up on all 3 if bulletproof.
Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 72 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Knock Off

(Zapdos) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 16 SpA / 80 SpD / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind

Last edited:
Team Camerupt

Whimsicott (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Safeguard
- Light Screen
- Trick Room
- Memento

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Memento

Bruxish (F) @ Iron Ball
Ability: Dazzling
Level: 87
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA / 0 Spe
- Frost Breath
- Torment
- Trick Room
- Protect

Camerupt (F) @ Soft Sand
Ability: Anger Point
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Stomping Tantrum
- Flame Charge
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Iron Ball
Ability: Psychic Surge
Level: 85
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gravity
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Light Screen

Oranguru (F) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Instruct
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Trick Room

This team works from left to right.
First send out the tanky setup mons.
After they do their thing, send out Bruxish and Camerupt.
On their first turn out, they'll generally KO 1 or 2 mons, with Bruxish getting KOed as well.​

Here's the general idea:
  1. Trick Room + Stealth Rock
  2. Memento
  3. Anger-Point Earthquake
  4. Psychic Surge & Gravity
  5. Substitute
  6. Trick Room + Protect

Prevent Essential Setup
  • Imprison (Trick Room)
  • Follow Me / Rage Powder (Frost Breath)
Pacify an Angry Camerupt
  • Weaken
    • Disable (Earthquake)
    • Haze
    • Roar / Whirlwind / Dragon Tail / Circle Throw
  • Strengthen
    • Defiant / Competitive / Contrary (Memento)
    • Belly Drum / Anger Point
  • K.O.
    • Foul Play
    • Final Gambit
    • Destiny Bond
    • powerful attack
      • Water-type
      • Ground-type
      • Z-Move
Survive a turn with Angry Camerupt
  • Type:
    • Flying / Grass / Bug
  • Abilities:
    • Levitate / Disguise / Sturdy
  • Moves:
    • Wide Guard / Grassy Terrain / Substitute
  • Items:
    • Air Balloon / Focus Sash
  • Stats:
    • Speed < 76

I consider this the best team I've ever made.

Take it, I'm done here.

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

P2+ Diancie + Lurantis
The most reliable Trick Room offense core

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 16 SpA / 152 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Lurantis @ Figy Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 8 Def / 28 SpD
Brave Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Protect
This core is an effective start for any trick room team.
I think the best way to introduce this core is by starting with Lurantis. She's a fabulous little grass mon with excellent coverage that can become one of the most frighting bulky attackers in the game after a couple of Superpowers. Its obvious down fall is its heavy reliance on Trick Room, but when TR is up not many mons have a positive match up, Fini falls to Leaf Blade, Incineroar and Kartana are crushed by Superpower, and Knock-Off takes care of berries. Its worst match up is CharY. Thats what makes Diancie a fabulous partner, she can OHKO CharY and deal heavy damage to other fire mons that threaten Lurantis. With its naturally high defense stats and Diamond Storm boosting Diancie is one of the most reliable setters in the game. Finally P2 is by far the most reliable setter in the game and has fantastic coverage with Ice Beam and Thunderbolt.

If you want a pre-built team to try this core out with see my team here or z0mOG's team here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)