Battle Spot Doublés Team

Hello all! This is my first post on Smogon, and as such, I was unable to figure out the clean RMT creator (although that may be a discussion for another time), so I am hoping this thread will suffice in place of that.

This is a battle spot doubles team I've been using for the past week, and I feel pretty confident on it's battlefield success but I was hoping for a more expert opinion on the matter. Any and all criticism and comments are welcome :)

The Team Is As Posted-
Gardevoir
Arcanine
Garchomp
Rotom-Wash
Gothitelle
Amoonguss

Soitera (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Telepathy
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

This Gardevoir is sort of what the team was based around, as it is a fantastic pokemon and I wanted to use a non-mega version of it. Choice Scarf is chosen to take out whatever the chosen threat is with Moonblast (the most typically used move on the set), and the other moves are for coverage, while Dazzling Gleam is useful for hitting two weakened opponents if need be. The EV's and nature are for outspeeding and being able to KO as many opponents as possible.

Lowe (Arcanine) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 12 SpA / 36 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Protect

Arcanine is support pokemon for taking out and resisting types ️Gardevoir, Garchomp, and Rotom-Wash have trouble with. Overheat is for netting good damage and steel type KO's, Snarl for crippling opponents and decreasing damage dealt, will-o-wisp for further cripples, and protect as a staple and scouting move. The EV's are to survive a mega Kanghaskan, to KO a Bisharp, and to outspeed certain pokemon. Leftovers are chosen as Sitrus Berry was already used. Intimidate is chosen as a very solid way to help frailer defense-wise pokemon to stay in.

Tierra (Garchomp) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Garchomp is a simple physical attacker. Life Orb is for maximizing damage output, as are the EV's. Earthquake and Rock Slide can do excellent spread damage, and Dragon Claw nets KO's and neutral hits on opposing pokemon that the other moves can't.

De Wesha (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpA
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Reflect
- Rest

Rotom is almost a support-attack hybrid. Defense is to live a Mega Mawile, while the rest is to max damage. Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump are standard, with Reflect for boosting my team's defense and RestoChesto allowing Rotom to stay longer.

Aristi (Gothitelle) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Helping Hand
- Psychic
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

Gothitelle is a support trapper, allowing easy KO's on opposing trapped pokemon that are at a type disadvantage. Helping Hand and Heal Pulse are for support, as Gothitelle can't do much on it's own, but Psychic is there incase support is unnecessary. Protect is staple. EV's allow Goth to survive a specs Dark Pulse from Hydreigon, while the speed is low to counter opposing Trick Room. Sitrus Berry is for longevity.

Guy (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rage Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Protect

Amoonguss is redirection support. Spore allows even less damage to Amoonguss' partner, Sludge Bomb allows for KO's, and Protect wastes double targeting opponent's turns. Black Sludge is for recovery, and the EV's chosen are to maximize defense capability and counter trick room.

So this is the team, any ratings and help would be very appreciated. Im very glad to finally join the site and start posting, and hopefully this is done correctly (if it isn't please move it or edit it or do whatever you may, I'd be blessed to have friendly augmentation.)

Thanks All!
-sixseven

Last edited:
Normally, you would use a Mega Gardevoir as it is more flexible and more viable than a scarfed Gardevoir. With 252 HP / 20 Def / 116 SpA / 120 Spe (Modest nature) investment in EVs, you have greater overall bulk, thus surviving Talonflame's Brave Bird & Mega Gengar's Sludge Bomb. Under Intimidate support, it has a 7/8 chance to survive Adamant Double Edge from Mega Kangaskhan. (Speed is EV'd to outspeed Breloom if Suicune + Breloom core is even popular any more.) However, it is recommended that Mega Gardevoir knows Hyper Voice, its best STAB move through Pixilate and Protect. Protect is extremely important in Doubles as it gives you a way to control momentum and such. And noticing that you have Amoonguss, it isn't a bad idea to give Mega Gardevoir the move Trick Room, thus allowing it to spam Hyper Voice to faster mons. Yet, Doubles is quite fast-paced for items such as Leftovers / Black Sludge (except in usage with Substitute) to help much with the game. Instead, using Sitrus Berry or Rocky Helmet (usually for Mega Kangaskhan) is fine. Amoonguss would appreciate a greater SpD investment, too; an EV spread of 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD (Sassy nature) lets it survive Psychic from Mega Gardevoir which is more relevant amongst its threats. Also, Sludge Bomb is only useful against Fairy types (not) and Grass types, so Giga Drain is usually better. After all, Amoonguss is great against bulky Water types and occasional Grounds types that are weak to it.

However, I'd say that Landorus-T is usually always better than Garchomp due to its stronger ATK, Intimidate, Earthquake switch-in, etc. If you're worried about using the Choice Scarf set, you can always use the AV set too; AV allows room for greater bulk and the option to choose your moves at the cost of speed, which is fine if your Mega Gardevoir has Trick Room. For the matter of Rotom-W, I do not recommend Reflect; instead, use Will-o-Wisp as it will certainly remain permanent. These changes sort of makes your Arcanine less useful, but it is certainly worth it. You still need a Fire type since the team is very vulnerable to Ferrothorn. Thus, I suggest that you use Heatran, an overall good switch-in for Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, Mega Charizard-Y, and many more. The EV of 52 HP is just enough to survive Landorus-T's Rock Slide under Substitute. For your last mon, I suggest that you use Aegislash since Gothitelle is very vulnerable to Thundurus and Psychic is already covered by Mega Gardevoir. Your team would appreciate another switch-in to Mega Kangaskhan, "switch-out" to Mega Gengar (Perish Team), and Wide Guard support.

Well, I hope you enjoy the changes. You can always test them out in Pokemon Showdown through the Importable.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 116 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Wash @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpA
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 52 HP / 232 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Substitute

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Last edited:
Ah, I see a lot of the flaws from what you've said now. I think I'll make a team with those changes and test it out, thank you so much for the advice and thoughts! I'll be sure to change my official team if the test works well too.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Normally, you would use a Mega Gardevoir as it is more flexible and more viable than a scarfed Gardevoir. With 244 HP / 12 Def / 144 SpA / 108 Spe (Modest nature) investment in EVs, you have greater overall bulk, thus surviving Talonflame's Brave Bird & Mega Gengar's Sludge Bomb. Under Intimidate support, it has a 7/8 chance to survive Adamant Double Edge from Mega Kangaskhan. (Speed is EV'd to outspeed Breloom if Suicune + Breloom core is even popular any more.) However, it is recommended that Mega Gardevoir knows Hyper Voice, its best STAB move through Pixilate and Protect. Protect is extremely important in Doubles as it gives you a way to control momentum and such. And noticing that you have Amoonguss, it isn't a bad idea to give Mega Gardevoir the move Trick Room, thus allowing it to spam Hyper Voice to faster mons. Yet, Doubles is quite fast-paced for items such as Leftovers / Black Sludge (except in usage with Substitute) to help much with the game. Instead, using Sitrus Berry or Rocky Helmet (usually for Mega Kangaskhan) is fine. Amoonguss would appreciate a greater SpD investment, too; an EV spread of 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD (Sassy nature) lets it survive Psychic from Mega Gardevoir which is more relevant amongst its threats. Also, Sludge Bomb is only useful against Fairy types (not) and Grass types, so Giga Drain is usually better. After all, Amoonguss is great against bulky Water types and occasional Grounds types that are weak to it.

However, I'd say that Landorus-T is usually always better than Garchomp due to its stronger ATK, Intimidate, Earthquake switch-in, etc. If you're worried about using the Choice Scarf set, you can always use the AV set too; AV allows room for greater bulk and the option to choose your moves at the cost of speed, which is fine if your Mega Gardevoir has Trick Room. My particular AV set lets Landorus-T survive relevant threats such as Band Gyarados's Waterfall (-1), Suicune's Hydro Pump / Ice Beam, and 2 Talonflame's Brave Bird (-1), meaning you can switch into Talonflame. (It can also survive Azuramill's Belly Drum - boosted Aqua Jet under Sun, but that is irrelevant with your team.) For the matter of Rotom-W, I do not recommend Reflect; instead, use Will-o-Wisp as it will certainly remain permanent. These changes sort of makes your Arcanine less useful, but it is certainly worth it. You still need a Fire type since the team is very vulnerable to Ferrothorn. Thus, I suggest that you use Heatran, an overall good switch-in for Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, Mega Charizard-Y, and many more. The EV of 24 HP is just enough to survive Landorus-T's Rock Slide under Substitute. For your last mon, I suggest that you use Aegislash since Gothitelle is very vulnerable to Thundurus and Psychic is already covered by Mega Gardevoir. Your team would appreciate another switch-in to Mega Kangaskhan, "switch-out" to Mega Gengar (Perish Team), and Wide Guard support.

Well, I hope you enjoy the changes. You can always test them out in Pokemon Showdown through the Importable.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 144 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 HP / 124 Atk / 36 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Wash @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 116 SpA / 40 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Substitute

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
I think your calcs are made for Lv. 100 instead of Lv. 50 as these are some of your calcs at Lv. 50
252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 36-43 (21.3 - 25.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Psychic vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Amoonguss: 186-222 (84.1 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Mega Gardevoir: 148-175 (85 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Also some things like Banded Gyara and Hydro Cune aren't common in bsd so you don't really need to calc for them.

I think your calcs are made for Lv. 100 instead of Lv. 50 as these are some of your calcs at Lv. 50
252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 36-43 (21.3 - 25.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Psychic vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Amoonguss: 186-222 (84.1 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Mega Gardevoir: 148-175 (85 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Also some things like Banded Gyara and Hydro Cune aren't common in bsd so you don't really need to calc for them.
Thanks for making the calc. I'll take a look when I'm back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes made.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)