Pokémon Doublade

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm trying to figure out a good EV spread for him, think I'll be learning more toward Relaxed or Sassy (or should we just throw out his Sp.D overall)

should we go 252HP/4Atk/252Def?

I used this thing against a sun boosted crit talonflame flare blitz and only took about 80%!!! Wish I would have been allowed to save the footage of the battle. Thats some serious physical bulk though. I attempted a toxic rest set with gyro ball and it worked really well at stopping almost everything without a special attack. I also have seen a lot of success using it as an anti smeargle lead.

Set Name: Eviolite Tank (Courtesy of ride the lightening)
Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 108 Atk / 144 HP / 112 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head/Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
I don't really understand. Where do I have to put in the missing EVs in this moveset?
Combined only 364 EVs are spread. I don't know in which stats I have to put the missing ones.
Can someone of you please help me with that?

Well, thank you very much for that! :)
I will try it out, now! ;)
Just remember Doublade does NOT get King's Shield- that quoted moveset is in error. Only Aegislash does, so you'll want something else in there of your choice. Protect isn't as good thanks to having no ATK-reducing ability.

Just remember Doublade does NOT get King's Shield- that quoted moveset is in error. Only Aegislash does, so you'll want something else in there of your choice. Protect isn't as good thanks to having no ATK-reducing ability.
Not inferior, merely different. I could just as easily say that King's Shield isn't as good because it doesn't protect against status moves like Will o' Wisp and Whirlwind.

Not inferior, merely different. I could just as easily say that King's Shield isn't as good because it doesn't protect against status moves like Will o' Wisp and Whirlwind.
Duoblade will almost certainly be using Eviolite over Leftovers, meaning that unless you're running T-Spikes or somesuch, it's very unlikely that Protect will be useful. No passive recovery, no potential to drop your opponent's stats- it's essentially an invitation to set up or switch out.

Yes, thank you.
I tried it out with Swords Dance instead of King's Shield.
But I am not sure, maybe I would be better off with Toxic as my Filler-Move for this peticular moveset.

Would a Trick Room set be suitable? I guess there's no way of knowing whether it gets it yet or not, but I'd imagine it as pretty much all ghost types do it will; seems appropriate with it's high attack but very low speed, and it'd have the bulk to pull such a thing off.

The second set in OP is missing EVs. It has 364.[EDIT] I meant to add that it might be best to max HP first off.

So I'm putting together an annoyance team with hazards, toxic, and lots of switches on the opponent's side. I'm thinking of a spread like this, though the EVs are a mystery to me:Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / ???? / ????
Brave Nature0 IVs
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Fury Cutter
- Pursuit

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm putting together an annoyance team with hazards, toxic, and lots of switches on the opponent's side. I'm thinking of a spread like this, though the EVs are a mystery to me:Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / ???? / ????
Brave Nature0 IVs
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Fury Cutter
- Pursuit
You will likely want hp and attack maxed out with the set you are running.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
Doublade would be 'mazin, perhaps the best eviolite mon in poke history, rivalling Chansey and Porygon 2... If it came out last gen. Ghost Steel is not the theorymonned typing that we wished for. It also misses out unfortunately on some key moves for a defensive set, such as Pain Split and Will O Wisp. Knock Off is also a thorn in its side. So it can't go full out defensive, but at least its a decent tank.

Where ever Aegislash ends up, Doublade will have a stand in the tier right below it.
This is going to be UU
Eeeeh how? Dont get me wrong being a chip off the old blade is nice and all but it has a problems that i dont think will make it UU, RU at best.

1)no form of recovery, not even passive unless you run lefties over eviolite
2)as MX42 said, no access to defensive moves and is now running a slightly nerfed typing (KnockOff and dark moves not resisted by Steel anymore)
3)doesnt have the SpAtt(or versatility) to go mixed, so wilowisp causes too much trouble
4)NoGuard at best helps you hit HeadSmash, but better for your opponent helps them hit FireBlast

So yeah great Att and Def......not really helping it overall but itll be a great RU pokemon as an SD set cause natural bulk and its leveling moves. Make sure you have tk eat the WOW though or it because dull blades

I think that doublade is just a better gligar. On the above post
1.Gligar had no recovery, i believe
2.This is true
3.Gligar had this same problem
4.True

Yet gligar made UU and was damn good. Found a spot on all my uu teams.

I think that doublade is just a better gligar. On the above post
1.Gligar had no recovery, i believe
2.This is true
3.Gligar had this same problem
4.True

Yet gligar made UU and was damn good. Found a spot on all my uu teams.
Gligar got Roost which makes a huge difference over Doublade and carrying Immunity it made it great for Toxic stalling since Gligar itself could never get Toxic'd. Furthermore, Gligar never needed the versitility since it had its role since day one....Stealth Rocker/Wall. Plus Gligar didnt go UU until late 5Gen where it did as you said "Damn good".

guys, why would it get king's shield when it doesn't have a shield
this isn't wooper shenanigans because only aegislash is the one who would have such a move aside from the obvious smeargle

But Gligar was only C-Rank in the UU viability ranking thread iirc. It was never that great, mainly because it was easy to set up on it due to its poor offences, though not as bad as Dusclops in that regard. Doublade does not have that problem. Sure, no reliable recovery and no SR capabilities, but it's in a similar boat, with a cooler typing to boot.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Why are we even comparing Doublade with Gligar, Doublade is supposed to be a tank, Gligar is supposed to be a utility mon. If anything, I'd compare Doublade with Rhyperior. Let's compare:

Doublade has:
- a much better defensive typing
- more raw bulk
- priority

Meanwhile, Rhyperior has:
- Solid Rock, which makes it bulkier than Doublade when it has to take SE hits
- Arguably better STAB combo
- Stealth Rock
- More offensive presence
- lefties

I'm saying Rhyperior would be the better choice in most situations. I don't really see Doublade making it to UU, and if it does, it'll probably be a C-rank mon (like Gligar, lol)

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
So with an Eviolite and 252 HP / 252 +Def, Doublade's defensive stats become 59 HP / 250 Def / 80 SpD.

Holy wow.

I haven't tried it, but it's gotta give Mega Aggron some competition.

So with an Eviolite and 252 HP / 252 +Def, Doublade's defensive stats become 59 HP / 250 Def / 80 SpD.

Holy wow.

I haven't tried it, but it's gotta give Mega Aggron some competition.
Not quite. http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...s-estimating-physical-defense-attack.3493118/

Mega Aggron is tier 124, 0/0 feels like 102.46 Skarmcents.
Eviolite Doublade is tier 123, 0/0 feels like 95.955 Skarmcents.

Eviolite Doublade is in between Steelix and Regirock in terms of bulk, sitting comfortably behind Mega Aggron.

Plus, Mega Aggron has T-Wave, Roar, Dragon Tail, and all those moves that are useful for Stall / Shuffle teams. Doublade is "only" a physical tank.

I've been using this set for Doublade and it works pretty well!:

Doublade @Eviolite
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

This is the only set that's not outclassed by Aegislash imo. Try to get a free Sub on things like Ferrothorn, Defog Mega Scizor which has been gaining usage lately, physical Mega Lucario, Talonflame locked into Brave Bird etc. Then use Swords Dance to get a respectable 700 Atk, and attempt to sweep with flawless coverage including a priority move and a move that ignores defense boosts (hey, it has helped me out before against Baton Pass :P).

People often don't expect Substitute (in fact sometimes they have never seen a Doublade before at all) so they'll switch in stuff like Greninja expecting SD, resulting in them taking a lot of damage. This set works the best with Dual Screens. Klefki is by far the best partner: Priority thanks to Prankster guarantees your screens, and you can even paralyze some pokes or setup some Spikes while you're at it, both of which Doublade appreciates a lot. In fact, look at some calcs that show Doublades bulk behind screens:

4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade through Light Screen: 72-86 (22.3 - 26.7%)
0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Doublade through Reflect: 70-84 (21.7 - 26%) -- 3.6% chance to 4HKO

I found these two switchins, bulky Landorus-T and defensive Rotom-W to be very common. Both fail to break Doublades Sub most of the time. This means that with some lucky damage rolls (the odds are in your favor) you can setup to +6 by alternating between Sub and SD, then finishing them off with Shadow Sneak. The fact that this is possible to begin with shows that Doublade definitely has some viability in OU. I mean, with Reflect you have an effective 1010 Defense without a +Def nature or Def EV's and Landorus-Therian's uninvested Earthquake doesn't even break your Sub reliably. That's pretty bulky for a pokemon that has 350 Atk to utilize (Talonflame dies to +2 Shadow Sneak after SR for example, while Doublade tanks a CB Flare Blitz).

It definitely needs support to be effective, but can perform very well with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)