Drifblim@Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Unburden
EV Spread: 252 HP . 129 Defense . 129 Special Defense
-Stockpile
-Skill Swap
-Swagger
-Baton Pass/Shadow Ball/Rest
Two thumbs up! The must-have Double Battle combo of the month! Baron, we should have another match so I can see this thing work.

I must say, good job. However, be sure to watch out for Discharge and Blizzard. Taunt, too, as even if Clefable or Togekiss Follow Me-s it, it leaves it unable to use the move on the next turn.

On an unrelated note, Magic Coat does not reflect moves that affect both foes to affect both foes. For example:

I lead with Grumpig and Crobat; foe sends out Darkrai and Cleffa.

Grumpig used Magic Coat!
Darkrai uses Dark Void!
Crobat avoided the attack!
Grumpig's Magic Coat reflected the attack! (Proceeds to show Dark Void animation on both of the foe's Pokémon)
Darkrai fell asleep!

Regigigas@Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Slow Start
EV Spread: 6 Attack . 252 Defense . 252 Special Defense
-Psych Up
-Rock Slide
-Crush Grip
-Drain Punch

Drifblim@Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Unburden
EV Spread: 252 HP . 129 Defense . 129 Special Defense
-Stockpile
-Skill Swap
-Swagger
-Baton Pass/Shadow Ball/Rest
One question...Why Crush Grip? Why not, say, Return? Isn't Return just better in every single position except when you're hitting them from full HP? Even then, it's only 6 BP lower: will that really prevent your ridiculous ATK titan from killing anything?

Beyond that, very cool. I think this combo is definitely one of the more interesting ones, if you do succeed with it.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One question...Why Crush Grip? Why not, say, Return? Isn't Return just better in every single position except when you're hitting them from full HP? Even then, it's only 6 BP lower: will that really prevent your ridiculous ATK titan from killing anything?

Beyond that, very cool. I think this combo is definitely one of the more interesting ones, if you do succeed with it.
Crush Grip has 121 BP against an opponent with full health, whereas Return only has 102. I'd say that's a significant increase. There'll definitely be Pokémon that will fall to Crush Grip and not to Return. Since the opponents probably won't have taken much damage by the time Regigigas comes out, Crush Grip will be hitting full-HP opponents a lot of the time. Although it'll really all come down to experience. If Crush Grip isn't working out, then Return is a logical alternative.

Baron, I'd go with Shadow Ball in Drifblim's last slot because Regigigas doesn't have any really good ways of putting the hurt on Ghost-types. Also, for maximum defensiveness on the Drifblim, you should put all your EVs in Defense and SpDefense. Its base HP is so high that you get higher overall defenses that way.

Good question. Before I get into this, let me explain a few things about the rest of my team:

> I use the Helping Hand strategy on almost half of my Pokemon and implore it directly with Regi after Drifblim switches out/Baton Passes.

>There are no entry hazard moves on my team. I focus primarily on self-boosting and less on debuffing the opposition. (Return would be more useful if I have Stealth Rock in play for example or change the weather).

>On a side note, Crush Grip is fun to use because it is exclusive to Regigigas and looks very cool on PBR.

Here's the way I see it: A Helping Hand-boosted Crush Grip OHKOs many walls like Weezing, Gliscor, Leafeon, Donphan, and even Hippowdon (on a good day:). Return does not have enough power to OHKO Donphan or Hippowdon even with the helpful 1.5 boost. The main purpose of Crush Grip is to trash healthy walls into oblivion.

>As pointed out by TheMaskedNitpicker, there is almost a 20 BP difference between Return and Crush Grip. Return's best potential is 102 while CG can get up to 121 on a max HP opponent.

I see your point that Return would be more useful if the opponents HP is down, but after a Crush Grip, not many walls can live through a second move (Dusknoir and other ghosts obviously cannot apply here). CG leaves Cress with only 40 HP and why finish it with an attack that only hits one opponent (Return) when Rock Slide KOs the weakened one and can possibly flinch/kill the other one at the same time?

I'm sorry that this is so long-winded for a simple question. I didn't realize I had been typing for this long.

Baron, I'd go with Shadow Ball in Drifblim's last slot because Regigigas doesn't have any really good ways of putting the hurt on Ghost-types. Also, for maximum defensiveness on the Drifblim, you should put all your EVs in Defense and SpDefense. Its base HP is so high that you get higher overall defenses that way.
I completely understand what you are saying about ghosts; however, I have other members on my team that can take care of them (I'm starting to think I need to complete this team in the RMT forums :). Rock Slide hits Gengar and friends hard, so Dusknoir has become the main issue here. On a side note, that double-def boosted Baton Pass can make an average sweeper a deadly tank.

I also see your point about Drifblim's defenses, but I don't really have the time to train another one now. The EVs are completed and the purple balloon can hold its own decently.

Since you know my strategy now, I would love to demonstrate it to you in a slightly unbalanced battle sometime haha. I'll PM you when I get a chance to escape from work.

Thanks for all comments everyone.

Here's something that I had been working on and tested in Wi-Fi. It doesn't always work, but it works about 75% of the time so it's kind of shaky, but when it does work, it's monstorous.

Honchcrow @ Scope Lens
252 HP / 36 Atk / 220 Spe
Super Luck
Adamant

Nightslash
Psych Up
Sucker Punch
Drill Peck

Tauros @ Salac Berry
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Anger Point
Jolly

Endure
Protect / Return
EarthQuake
Rock Slide

The idea here is to get a free Belly drum boost for both of the attacking pokemon. What you do the first turn is have Honchrow attack Tauros with Nightslash (with Super Luck, Scope Lens, and Night Slash's high Critical hit ratio it's guarunteed to be a critical hit most of the time) while Tauros endures, thus activating Tauros' Anger Point abilty. Anger Point raises the attack 6+ stages so it's a belly drum boost without reducing the HP.

So now you have a max attack Tauros that outspeeds anything becuase of it's high speed and Salac berry activation. I had orginally put protect on Tauros, but I forgot that Endure and Protect work like two protects or two endures so it doesn't work all of the time, but protect can come in handy if you think the opponent has a first strike prioirty move. So then Tauros protects while Honchcrow Psych ups copying Tauros' Belly drum boost.

Then from there, you can sweep, and becuase Honchcrow's speed isn't the best you can take out things with Sucker Punch while still having the high critical hit ratio.

I like the creativity of your set Gymdude, but...

Except you'll be at 1 HP?
oh right, lol didn't take that into consideration I guess. Maybe I should've worded it more like: it gets a belly drum boost without having the possibility of fainting. Kind of like a free substitute without the substitute.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The idea here is to get a free Belly drum boost for both of the attacking pokemon. What you do the first turn is have Honchrow attack Tauros with Nightslash (with Super Luck, Scope Lens, and Night Slash's high Critical hit ratio it's guarunteed to be a critical hit most of the time) while Tauros endures, thus activating Tauros' Anger Point abilty.
You have a 1/3 chance to get a CH.

I had orginally put protect on Tauros, but I forgot that Endure and Protect work like two protects or two endures so it doesn't work all of the time, but protect can come in handy if you think the opponent has a first strike prioirty move. So then Tauros protects while Honchcrow Psych ups copying Tauros' Belly drum boost.
Endure will also save you against things like Fake Out.

You have a 1/3 chance to get a CH.

Endure will also save you against things like Fake Out.
Oh I guess I underestimated Honchcrow's critical hit power, but of the times I used it, it has worked for me about 3/4 of the time so I guess I was just lucky. Thanks for pointing that out.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I pulled off a ghetto variation of this (with pokemon not properly bred with atrocious natures) and stomped pretty much everyone I know with it:

Gyarados, Adamant nature, 216hp/12atk/176def/104spd @ Leftovers or rock resist berry
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Dragon Dance
Ice Fang/Taunt (imo taunt is less useful in a double battle, and ice fang helps with coverage if your buddy dies and you've got some dds under your belt)

Rhyperior, Impish nature, 252hp/252def/4atk @ leftovers
Ability: Lightningrod
Earthquake
Megahorn
Stealth Rock
Rock Polish

This combination is great if you're an unlucky bastard like myself who kept breeding good rhyhorns with lightningrod during the "OMG RHYPERIOR IS AMAZING" stage last year. Basically, Rhyperior sits around being a glutton for punishment and removing the single best way of countering Gyarados. Celebi can be quite unforgiving against this combination before it sets up, but after a rock polish Rhyperior will outspeed and slaughter celebi with megahorn (the main reason for both of those moves), after a dragon dance Gyarados outspeeds and kills pretty much anything that will be carrying a rock move strong enough to take him down.

The only issue with this combo that I kept experiencing is Rhyperior usually ends up dying pretty quickly considering electric moves won't work to take out the much scarier gyarados, but he usually buys gyarados a turn for setup which is really all he needs.

wouldn't any other attack on tauros kill him? what happens if honchkrow is double teamed?
what about priority?
weather?
status?

wouldn't any other attack on tauros kill him? what happens if honchkrow is double teamed?
what about priority?
weather?
status?
No
I guess the strategy wouldn't work, but you could say that about pretty much any double pair combo which is why fake out and follow me are so common or unless you have walls, which is not very common in double battles.

Well, a strategy I've used in Double Battles, and have seen being used is something like this:

dbb sent out Medicham!
dbb sent out Claydol!

Medicham used Fire Punch (mehmeh)!
Claydol used Skill Swap

dbb switched in Blaziken (or the like) for Medicham!
Claydol used Skill Swap.

Thus, Blaziken or whatever gets Pure Power, and seeing as its already quite fast, you can just thump the shit out of your opponents.

A sturdy Pokémon with Skill Swap gives you more of a chance.

So, I guess this has been used before, but mehmeh.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Personally, I think the Gyara + Follow Me Electivire is better than Gyara + Rhyperior.

I was planning to use Helping Hand Dusknoir along with a strong Selfdestruct/Explosion Pokemon in the summer Gamestop tournament. The boomer could either have Life Orb, Focus Sash, or Choice Band. I used Mewtwo (ubers) because it had access to Shadow Ball to beat up every ghost but Spiritomb. I guess Gengar might be the equivalent when using in OU (though the lack of Ice Beam hurts).

Here is and Self-Destruct strategy that dosen't involve a Ghost-type:

Snorlax@ Leftovers Regirock@ Leftovers
Curse Stone Edge
Self-Destruct Toxic
Body Slam Earthquake
Fire Punch Curse

I was thinking about a scrappy explsion somehow.......................................................................................................................

Well, a strategy I've used in Double Battles, and have seen being used is something like this:

dbb sent out Medicham!
dbb sent out Claydol!

Medicham used Fire Punch (mehmeh)!
Claydol used Skill Swap

dbb switched in Blaziken (or the like) for Medicham!
Claydol used Skill Swap.

Thus, Blaziken or whatever gets Pure Power, and seeing as its already quite fast, you can just thump the shit out of your opponents.

A sturdy Pokémon with Skill Swap gives you more of a chance.

So, I guess this has been used before, but mehmeh.
Isn't Blaziken the same speed as Medicham (80)? lol, only advantage to this I see would be the massive power difference... though it still seems interesting. I may try something like this soon...

Isn't Blaziken the same speed as Medicham (80)? lol, only advantage to this I see would be the massive power difference... though it still seems interesting. I may try something like this soon...
Wouldn't the combination work best with Slaking? Slaking -Truant is already a fearsome beast, and if you replace Traunt with pure power it would be pretty hard to stop.

Choice scarf Slaking would be amazing for the recipient of the Pure Power skill swap.

A little bit of theorymon to break of the monotony of hunting for perfect dittos...

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
  • Intimidate
  • Careful for HJK, Sassy for Revenge
    • Fakeout
    • Feint/Pursuit
    • Revenge/High-jump kick
    • Stone Edge/Pursuit

Staraptor @ Scarf
  • Adamant
  • Intimidate
    • Pursuit/double edge
    • Close Combat
    • Brave Bird
    • U-Turn/Pursuit
Alright... The idea here is much like the Gyara/Mence idea posted earlier.
Hitmontop has relatively decent sdef and I'm not too familiar with doubles-teams leading with psychic users, so he's likely to be okay in the first few turns. Everybody has pursuit to deal with first-turn intimidate-induced fleeing. Raptor can scarf-u-turn into something sdeffy if needed, or possibly into an another intimidator to deal decrease the atk of whoever is being swapped in.

Hitmontop is just built to be somewhat sturdy and irritating to most leads. It can feint through protects... It can fake out whoever it wants to (special attackers while Raptor eats it, etc.) It has intimidate and decent sdef. Etc.

I'm sure you all can figure out your own interesting uses or ideas for this set too.

Why do I never see any of these strategies in actual battles?

Also, hhjj, about your strategy, why Rayquaza is holding a Choice Scarf yet you mention DD in the analysis? Is it just a typo? And if it wasn't, how do you expect Rayquaza to reliably get a DD first turn, when something like Kyogre can kill you anyway with Ice Beam or Dialga with Dragon Pulse? Oh yeah, and you don't OHKO Tyranitar with EQ, by the way, so watch out for it slamming you with Rock Slide or Stone Edge or something. Also, you know Outrage targets randomly in doubles, right? That could be a problem, so why not run the more reliable Dragon Claw or something?

Also, against said hail and sandstorm teams (the latter I don't think is too common, actually), how do you plan on keeping Sheddy alive after Rayquaza hightails it outta there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)