Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion

art by 13ulbasaur
approved by kamikaze
previous threads by Elise and Ultimathunder

Doubles OU Player of the Week!

Hi, I'm Toxigen and I'm taking over the Doubles OU Player of the Week project! As you may know, this project was initially created to learn more about the Doubles OU players, how they started, what they think of the metagame, what and how they play and more! Send me a PM if you think someone should be interviewed, whether it's you or a friend of yours!

Archive
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-ou-player-of-the-week-41-stax.3537370/

Interviews
#1 I Am a Rookie - http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...e-week-week-2-demantoid.3600699/#post-7321593
#2 Demantoid - http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...e-week-week-2-demantoid.3600699/#post-7337071
#3 DaAwesomeDude1 - http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...e-week-week-4-mishimono.3600699/#post-7351825
#4 Mishimono - http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-week-4-mishimono.3600699/page-2#post-7365675
#5 Matame - http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...eek-week-5-matame.3600699/page-2#post-7374216
#6 Jhon - http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...eek-week-8-frania.3600699/page-3#post-7386853
#7 EmbCPT - http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...eek-week-8-frania.3600699/page-3#post-7408118
#8 Frania - http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...eek-week-8-frania.3600699/page-3#post-7420221

Last edited:

Toxigen

get numb to it
DPL Champion

Interviewee #1 - I Am a Rookie

1. Hi, could you tell us who you are by giving a small introduction about yourself?
Greetings! You can call me Chase, but I go on here by I Am a Rookie. I am a relatively new Doubles OU, previously VGC, player who started playing in the most recent SPL on the Stark Sharks.
2. Where does your username come from, and why did you stick with it?
Heh, my username came from when me and my brother had just started getting into competitive Pokemon again. It wasn't even our intention to go to any tournaments, we were just riding the XY hype and came across Showdown. I was prompted by Showdown to input a username and I was just going to put in something temporary so I could search a game and get to playing so I typed in the first thought that came to mind. After all, I was a noob at the time so I just went with "I Am a Rookie", simple and honest. Weeks went on and after learning about Nuggetbridge it was only natural for me to sign up so I can keep up with the VGC metagame. When I signed up I was still using "I Am a Rookie" on Showdown so that's when I cemented in the name and it just stuck. I've been asked if I would ever change it, and the answer has always been no, it's grown on me!
3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
My first interaction with competitive Pokemon was when Diamond and Pearl was released and they introduced WiFi support, hallelujah. Oh man, I would get on this chat website called Xat daily and enter different rooms asking for battles and exchanging friend codes. I had a small YouTube channel where I peaked a SOLID 100 subscribers way back in 2008 using some ghetto WebCam. My first tournament was when GameStop did those Pokemon Battle Revolution tournaments and I ended up winning it from spamming Spore/Substitute/Focus Punch Breloom entirely the whole way... Anyways I quit just before Black and White and started up again with the release of XY and started VGC where I was first exposed to Doubles. Fast forward to 2016 I joined Smogon to play in the Battle Spot Premier League for some VGC 15 nostalgia and my team ended up winning, shout outs to the Cavaliers! Had a great time in BSPL and was encouraged by my teammates to sign up for SPL. I wasn't really expecting to be picked up because I was not familiar with any of the managers and they weren't familiar with me. For those wondering why I was picked up though, Makiri put in a word about me to M Dragon, thanks Makiri! So that is when I started playing competitive Doubles, just a few days before the my first match vs Laga. I decided to stick around because the majority of the Doubles community are some quality people, and I wasn't sold on VGC 17. Also the metagame is dynamic, changing every couple of weeks due to Mega Stone introductions and suspect test bans. Oh and despite what a lot of people say about Megas, I absolutely love them and what they bring to the game.
4. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favorite Pokémon overall and why?
Linoone! I used Linoone in VGC 15 and I loved the fact that I could OHKO Thundurus with Extremespeed before it was able to use Thunder Wave or Swagger, screw that Pokemon... It doesn't get better than OHKOing Pokemon with priority moves. It got even better this format with 50% berries working alongside Linoone's Gluttony ability. I'm not too into the aesthetics of Pokemon, so my favorite Pokemon is also my favorite competitively.
5. What do you think is the strongest playstyle or Pokémon in this metagame right now, and why?
That's tough to say at the moment because I feel like that answer was vastly different when Kangaskhan was around and it has not settled fully since then. Umm... looking at the current state I think hard Trick Room is incredible right now with everything being within such high speed tiers that the majority of teams crumble with the lack of defensive pivots to properly stall it out. Even if they have defensive pivots to stall it out, it is usually in the form of Zapdos or Tapu Fini who just allow you to set up trick room in their face again.
6. Do you think something has to be suspected?
After Kangaskhan's ban I would say I am pretty satisfied with the current state of the metagame. One Pokemon I thought about was Zygarde and if you asked me one month ago I would have been on board, but I revoke that opinion for now. Some arguments for banning Zygarde, though, would be the only Ice coverage consisting of HP Ice and the occasional Kyurem-B, its solid bulk and the fact that Thousand Arrows has limited resists.
7. Do you think there's a Pokémon or set that is currently underrated in the meta?
Yes I do in fact, and that is Chansey. In a format that consists primarily of special attackers, Chansey is a huge nuisance for some teams. I would argue Chansey was even better with Kangaskhan around because Seismic Toss wouldn't do diddly squat to Chansey. Even in formats with huge hitters such as VGC 16, Chansey was viable and I wish I had found that out sooner because I didn't start toying with it until the end of the format. People could argue that Chansey is too passive and while that's true, unless the opponent has some sort of setup, Chansey is going to pull out the win majority of the time with Toxic/Seismic Toss/Soft-Boiled and the last move is variable, but can include Icy Wind, Helping Hand, Protect, Thunder Wave, Counter and others.
8. Could you give us a team that resembles your playing and building style and give a little explanation about it?

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 124 Atk / 164 SpA / 220 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Mat Block
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick
- Dark Pulse

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Follow Me
- Heal Pulse
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 108 HP / 204 Atk / 56 Def / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Linoone @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Protect

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 48 HP / 212 Atk / 96 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 244 HP / 56 Def / 136 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Fake Out​

This team I used two different weeks in the SPL. I like to think that this doesn't exactly resemble my building and playing style, because I think both of those are variable. However, it is a team that represents one of the ways I play. The idea is to build support around two set up Pokemon and allow them to snowball off of each other. Meaning if Linoone is setup then Zygarde has an easier way of setting up because Linoone is typically taking out one Pokemon per turn and vice/versa. I suppose I could say "Set-Up" is my playstyle of choice. Also, although it didn't work out how I would like, a similar team would be the one I used vs Zach(Braverius) in the last week of SPL which featured Anger Point Krookodile.
9. On first glance, which team do you think has the biggest chance of winning DPL?
Despite tying in the first week I still have to put the smart money on the Tramplers. Their team composition is incredibly solid and once they get their footing I think they will be winning the entire thing. It's either them or the Storms, right...?
10. How does it feel to suddenly go from being rather unknown in the community to being one of the best players? Did you feel extra pressured?
I'm quite content with my transition into Doubles OU. Going into the SPL I felt quite the opposite of pressured. Being ranked 10th out of 10 in the SPL Doubles rankings meant that even if I lost every single game I met expectations haha. That being said though, I used the rankings as motivation and in the end I was satisfied with my SPL record. Now that I established myself there is that underlying pressure and the expectations that come along with it that I didn't have to worry about when I was unknown though.
11. What are your thoughts on the recent bans(i.e. Kangaskhan and Jirachi)?
Although I didn't participate in either of the suspect tests I was definitely in favor of them both being banned. Kangaskhan itself is a Pokemon that prohibits the usage of a large percentage of the roster and has a lack of solid checks. This metagame in particular is not kind to fighting types so his one weakness is seldom seen.
12. Is there anyone you see as up and coming player?
Hmm... That's hard to say because I haven't been in this community long enough to really tell who I can consider established or not, so I will go with the safe answer of all the VGC players that trickled into DPL. DaWoblefet, Bopper, EmbC and Misaki are already established in the VGC scene and I know they have the ability to translate their VGC skill into DOU so look out for them!
13. Is there anyone you look up to as a player?
I respect anyone who thinks outside of the box when it comes to making teams and as a result are able to produce competitive make ups that are unique. Level 51 and Nido-Rus in particular are usually able to pull that off and watching their strategies work out is always a treat.
14. How do you think Marshadow will affect the metagame?
I had to do a quick /dt Marshadow and do some moveset digging to answer this question because I wasn't even too familiar with it to begin with. That being said it looks viable for sure. It has an incredible typing offensively and, although it is no longer with us, it's a full on counter to Kangaskhan. Maybe after the introduction of Marshadow we can hopefully resuspect. Spectral Thief also looks like the bane of my existence because I am a huge fan of setting up, and with Marshadow around you have to be careful. Technician is a bit disappointing as an ability, but regardless I predict it to be at least a tier 3, and at most a tier 2 Pokemon in the VR.
15. What are your hobbies outside of playing Pokémon? What are you interested in?
I am a Computer Science student at the moment and recently got involved with a group doing Security CTFs(https://ctftime.org/ctf-wtf/ for an explanation), which are highly frustrating but rewarding. I'm also a big fan of working out, but recently have recently experienced shoulder and ankle problems which limits that quite a bit. As a supplement I have gotten into bike riding. Just listening to music while cruising wherever is highly relaxing! Other than that the cliché hanging out with friends and playing other video games besides Pokemon answer is applicable.
16. Is there anything else you'd like to talk about?
I noticed coming into the Smogon community there was a bit of a stigma against VGC players. I'm not referring to the SPL rankings because I feel like I was justly ranked being unknown, it's more along the lines of VGC players not "deserving" to play, it's unfair or it's expected of VGC players to have awful activity. I don't want to generalize the whole Smogon community because a lot of you are respectful and I felt welcomed for the most part, but I just wanted to reach out and say that stigmas like those could potentially push new players from joining the community. Thanks Toxigen for conducting the interview and thanks to the readers for reading!

Last edited:

Toxigen

get numb to it
DPL Champion

Interviewee #2 - Demantoid

1. Hi, could you tell us who you are by giving a small introduction about yourself?
I'm a 17 year old high school junior from Georgia in the US. I've been playing Doubles OU for about a year and I've also been a battle spot and VGC player.

When I was younger I really liked gemstones. When I chose a username it was between this and Padparadscha. Padparadscha was what I mostly used until I joined smogon. I chose this on smogon because I could just use Shiny Sableye as an avatar and not have to choose one.

3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
I started playing pokemon competitively late in 2014 mostly on Battle Spot. By the time I joined smogon I mostly played the doubles and vgc formats on their. Early in 2016 mishi and dad1 (maybe others too) got me to join the spring seasonal. I stayed because it was much better than VGC 16 and because I already knew people in the community.

4. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
Gen 6 Thundurus was probably my favorite pokemon to use because I could spam Thunder Wave with it. Right now my favorite pokemon to use may be Zapdos just becuause of how bulky it is. My favorite pokemon overall is Sylveon. When I first started playing I liked being able to click Hyper Voice and watch things die. I also like its flesh ribbons.

5. What do you think is the strongest playstyle or Pokémon in this metagame right now, and why?
I think bulky offense is the best playstyle right now since it can adapt to just about anything. Celesteela and Snorlax have gotten a lot better recently which is both good and bad for this style. Trick Room is also fairly strong right now since a lot of teams are weak to it currently.

Hoopa-U and Tapu Lele are probably the ones I could see right now. Hoopa-U is really good right now and the Hyperspace moves could be considered uncompetitive in doubles thanks to their ability to break protection. Tapu Lele enables highly offensive team compositions like Psyspam Rain to thrive which I find an indicator of an unhealthy metagame. I think it should be suspected instead of Deoxys-A or something because it also supports attackers like Hoopa-U and Mega Metagross while these these pokemon were not unhealthy without Lele's support.

7. Do you think there's a Pokémon or set that is currently underrated in the meta?
I think Mega Gyarados is better than a lot of people think. It's great bulk and typing gives it an advantage over many pokemon. It also has a lot of great moves it can use like Taunt and Dragon Dance. I also think Snorlax was underrated for a while but more people have started using that now.

8. Could you give us a team that resembles your playing and building style and give a little explanation about it?

Delandotoid (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

mishi is bad (Gengar) @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Demewtoid (Mew) @ Mago Berry
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 24 SpA / 80 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Transform

Detartoid (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Deporytoid-Z (Porygon-Z) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Protect

Deshroomtoid (Amoonguss) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

This was a team I built for the grand finals of seasonals against Stax winning game 1 of the first set with it (might have a few edits since then though). Porygon-Z was quite strong against the Kangaskhan, Tapu Fini, Zapdos, Ground-type, Jirachi teams that were popular during that seasonal. I also included Mew to give Fake Out support and to Transform into the boosted Porygon-Z. This is fairly typical of my builds because it is built around one main idea (Porygon-Z and Mew) with rest of the team supporting. However, this team is quite a bit frailer than my usual team with Gengar, Porygon-Z and Landorus-T not having great bulk.

9. How does it feel to win a seasonal? Could you describe your run?
It felt great but if I go out too early in this one could make my average score from sm worse than xy. I had a fairly difficult bracket compared to some people facing Nvakna, MajorBowman, and Finally fairly early on but managed to win all these games.

10. What are some tricks that you used to be able to win so many sets in a row?
In early rounds I generally used teams that I already knew were good to beat ensure wins against non doubles players. This was also easier back then because there were fewer resources for less experienced players to get good teams. In later rounds you can try to counter team more established players. In the last rounds I generally built around random ideas I thought would work in that meta such as Porygon-Z.

11. Is there anyone you see as an up and coming player?
While not too new, GenOne has started contributing more to Doubles OU recently on the forums and in the PS room. I also hope iamarookie stays around because he's a pretty cool dude and a great player. I've also heard good things about this toxigen guy.

12. Is there anyone you look up to as a player?
I really admire Stax's consistency in doubles tours. Getting second in three seasonals is very impressive along with his Doubles Open win.

13. How do you think Marshadow will affect the metagame?
I think it will be fairly good. It's high speed and attack lets it most of the meta hard with amazing neutral STAB coverage. However, it runs into issues against speed control as it's kind of frail and the high usage of Fairies. It's also bad against Mega Gengar, Deoxys-A, and Rain so it won't be broken at all probably. It's signature move is interesting but I don't think it will be too good since most set up sweepers outspeed it while Snorlax is immune.

14. What are your hobbies outside of playing pokemon? What are you interested in?
The main thing I do besides school is swimming. I tend to have practice in the afternoons which is why I'm never on then. I usually spend at least 12 hours at swim practice a week. In the Summer I'm also a swim coach for a neighborhood team.

15. Who is your waifu, and why?
I don't have a waifu because I don't watch the animes.

16. Mishimono kills a Dewgong, how do you react?
[10:43:28] #Mishiimono)⊙﹏⊙✿( kills a dewgong. This is a nice step for mishi in the right direction. She needs to realize Dewgong is terrible along with the other "elite waters". mish mish

17. Is there anything else you'd like to speak about?
I hope that we have a Doubles UU tour on the forums soon and that people participate more in this tier. Things I could see needing tour bans are Z-Trick Room and Snorlax. Also try out LC Doubles sometime. I would also appreciate it if people stopped posting complaining about losing to hax in tour games since it happens to everyone and just gives me more useless alerts.

How do you feel about the pokemon banned so far in SM? Is there anything you would want resuspected at a later time or are you pretty happy with these?

What's the most overrated pokemon in the meta rn?

Are there any megas you're excited to see in the meta and any that scare you when they're introduced?

How do you feel about Stealth Rock?

FMK: Dewgong, Mishi, Porygon-Z?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
How do you feel about the pokemon banned so far in SM? Is there anything you would want resuspected at a later time or are you pretty happy with these?

What's the most overrated pokemon in the meta rn?

Are there any megas you're excited to see in the meta and any that scare you when they're introduced?

How do you feel about Stealth Rock?

FMK: Dewgong, Mishi, Porygon-Z?
I wasn't in favor of the Jirachi ban but I wasn't very sad it was banned. I was supportive of the Kangaskhan ban

I think that Heatran is a little overrated right now. While it's still good it loses to a lot of the meta trends happening like Snorlax and Rain rising in usage. It's also not a great PsySpam check for a steel type.

I'm obviously looking forward to the release of Gardevoirite like everyone else. I just mostly want the other megas to be released so all my teams stop looking the same.

I think Stealth Rock is still quite good in doubles. If you're able to set it at the beginning of the match you can usually hit the opponents at least 6 times if not more before the end of the match. It also hampers your opponents defensive counterplay.

Fuck Porygon-Z, marry mishi, kill Dewgong
I had no idea demantoid was a gemstone

what are your thoughts on BW?
I haven't played very much of it but it seems bad.
whats ur favorite mishi quote
I'm a fan of this one
mishi stuff.jpg

"Sorry but what does PM stand for. (Always thought it was pokemon) Should I say which poke I'm putting up. I'm going to put up a Foongus with message saying Smogon but comment back first to see if I'm doing this right."

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
was it a love at first sight kinda thing when u met mishi or did it take u longer to find out?
Mishi and I started talking more about two months after he joined. Before that I answered all his bad questions about vgc while nicholascookie abused him. Notice that almost all of mishi's posts from this time are deleted.
are you ever going to let me win a tournament set
I hope not

1. Do you believe in aliens?
  2. What do you think aliens would look like if they are real.
  3. Do you know the muffin man?
  4. Is there any pokemon you hate the aesthetic of?
  5. When is the world going to end?
  6. What is your favorite TV show?
  7. What is your favorite gemstone?
  8. If you could go back in time, what would you do.
  9. Who is going to win this next seasonal, and why is the answer Stax?
  10. What is your favorite cereal?
  11. Can you juggle?
  12. What is your favorite palindrome?
  13. Dogs or Cats?
  14. Have you ever gone to another room, forgotten what you went there for, but then actually did what you meant to do originally despite not remembering that you wanted to do it?
  15. Favorite non-Lithuanian world leader?
  16. Is marrying your dog okay if your dog talks and can say "I do" in a kind of scooby doo voice?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
mish mish
Fmk sableye Lana Del Rey Elise

What is your favourite tf quote of all time?
Fuck Sableye, Marry Elise, Kill Lana Del Rey

I think this is the best one:
[8:27 AM] Kudasai: Do you remember the hot friendly girl that hitted on me some weeks ago
[8:27 AM] Kudasai: Well idk what i was thinking but i texted her that i fapped to her
[8:28 AM] Kudasai: And she isnt talking to me the same way anymore.
  1. Do you believe in aliens?
  2. What do you think aliens would look like if they are real.
  3. Do you know the muffin man?
  4. Is there any pokemon you hate the aesthetic of?
  5. When is the world going to end?
  6. What is your favorite TV show?
  7. What is your favorite gemstone?
  8. If you could go back in time, what would you do.
  9. Who is going to win this next seasonal, and why is the answer Stax?
  10. What is your favorite cereal?
  11. Can you juggle?
  12. What is your favorite palindrome?
  13. Dogs or Cats?
  14. Have you ever gone to another room, forgotten what you went there for, but then actually did what you meant to do originally despite not remembering that you wanted to do it?
  15. Favorite non-Lithuanian world leader?
  16. Is marrying your dog okay if your dog talks and can say "I do" in a kind of scooby doo voice?
  1. Yes
  2. Microorganisms
  3. No
  4. Not a fan of Guzzlord or Hoopa. There's also a bunch of ugly shinies like scrafty. Dewgong is obviously pretty bad too.
  5. It's already over
  6. I don't really watch TV anymore.
  7. Padparadscha
  8. I would become a rich inventor
  9. Matame or marilli will to continue the TF Takeover. Stax is already in losers with the rest of last seasonal's top 4 D:
  10. I like frosted flakes but I don't have cereal often
  11. No
  12. I don't know my favorite but "Demantoid is bad dabs idiot named" is the worst
  13. Cats
  14. Not that I remember
  15. They're all bad
  16. Obviously mish mish

Demantoid

APMS Founder
thoughts on the mish mish

also demantoid u r the best what are your thoughts on dis
mish mish means mishi is bad

watchog is bad
[22:19:04] +Watchog✿: holding my cheeks together
[22:19:09] +Watchog✿: took a lot of concentration
[22:19:16] +Watchog✿: as i slowly walked to the bathroom
thoughts on skiing?
Best and worst tf users?
best and worst type of music?
do you miss battle factory?
Skiing is too good
Best tf user is robintheultraloser, worst besides mishiimono is kudakek
Best is classical worst is country
Battle factory was the best room because the mish mish massacre occurred there

Toxigen

get numb to it
DPL Champion

Interviewee #3 DaAwesomeDude1

Hey my name is DaAwesomeDude1, commonly known as dad1 or daddy (or any variation of dad). I’m an 18 year old senior living in the greatest state in the union. Outside of Pokemon, I am on the cross country and track team and I also play the viola

Oh boy. This name came from a Youtube account I made when I was like 10. I don’t remember exactly how I came up with the name. I think I used the words “awesome” and “dude” a ton when I was that age and just came up with a name that incorporated it. I couldn’t think of a name when I joined PS so I just used this. I planned to change it to DAD1 at one point but ultimately decided to stick with this because it’s super ironic lol.

I started playing competitive Pokemon 4 years ago. At the time, I loved watching Marilland videos and one day he uploaded some replays from a VGC 2013 regional he went to and I thought it was really cool. A shofu video where he went on PS was on the suggested videos list and that’s how I came to PS. I joined doubles when a voice in competitive tutoring named LzrGunPewPew needed testing with his smogon doubles team. I loaded one of my VGC teams against him but while playing I thought his team was pretty cool so I started playing around with the meta. I originally stuck around because I made a shitty Greninja analysis and got called out for it so I wanted to show that I actually knew what I was talking about. Eventually the guys in the community grew on me so I decided to stay long-term.

4. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
Trick Room Hoopa definitely and by extension Tapu Fini since those two basically go hand-in-hand lol. Hoopa is hella broken and it fits my playstyle a lot. I’m a big fan of semiroom teams and Hoopa is perfect for that. I’m also a huge fan of Calm Mind users and Fini is like the best CM mon right now lol. My favorite Pokemon overall is probably Gallade cause it looks cool.

Definitely bulky offense with a setup Pokemon like Snorlax or Zygarde. It’s a very safe playstyle right now and Lax/Zygarde are just so threatening once they setup. Combine that with like Tapu Fini and they’re even scarier. Against those teams, I find that you really have to think hard when playing them cause if you let Lax/Zygarde setup, it can pretty much be game over. It forces you to think about positioning a lot, like knowing what not to kill or making double switches, which while not necessarily a bad thing, isn’t really something any average player can do which makes those teams that much stronger.

HOOPA. Even though I love it, it’s a horribly designed Pokemon. I also wouldn’t mind a Snorlax test.

Easily Terrakion. It can threaten a lot of the common Pokemon found in those bulky offense teams, like Zapdos, Snorlax, and Heatran. Toxic Amoonguss and Haze Volcanion are pretty cool to deal with setup mons.

am + aldo (Salamence) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

starmei or p2 (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Misty Seed
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 4 SpA / 68 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

hairy toenail (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 152 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

cynde (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab
- Protect

eyan (Zapdos) @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 36 SpA / 120 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

kreme (Heatran) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 156 HP / 176 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

This is a variation of the team I used against finally in week 9 of SPL. I originally had Kangaskhan over Salamence but we all know what happened to Kanga :(. So this team has my favorite teamstyle, which is semiroom. Obviously started with Tapu Fini and Hoopa. Next up I added Zapdos because it can also make use of Misty Terrain and I love having another speed control option alongside TR. Kangaskhan was the generic mega that worked in both TR and Tailwind but after it got banned I went with Salamence since it offered Intimidate and its also another Pokemon that works under both albeit not as good in TR. Terrakion was a counter-pick since finally liked using Kyurem and Kangaskhan. It ended up working a lot better than I thought so I decided to keep it. Heatran rounded the squad out by checking steels like Celesteela and Ferrothorn while also giving me a solid Charizard and Salamence switch-in.

9. How was your experience hosting Seasonals? And how challenging was it?
Seasonals was a lot more work than I originally thought so props to everyone that hosted a seasonal before. Editing in the replays in the OP takes like an hour lol. I still enjoyed it a lot though so I’d definitely do it again. Shoutouts to kamikaze, shaian, and stratos for helping me out when I was just getting started and answering my questions.

10. Would you host another Seasonal or even another type of tournament in the future?
I still plan on hosting seasonals unless college becomes really busy. Even if college is super busy, I’ll probably just cut out editing in the replays which would save me a bunch of time.

11. How was your SPL experience overall?
Even though we fell a little short, SPL was a blast. It was definitely the most stress I’ve had related to Pokemon but I had a lot of fun so I guess it didn’t matter haha. I learned a lot in SPL and I found out that you build teams a lot differently in SPL than just building a team by yourself. Since it was bo1 I found myself counter-styling the player and then building around that rather starting with a core or idea, so that was neat. But yeah, a lot of the guys on BIGS are super encouraging and anyone who has the chance to should definitely try for it next year.

12. Is there anyone you see as up and coming player?
Well there are the obvious ones like GenOne. Matame has been playing pretty well right now and Toxigen is looking really good too.

13. Is there anyone you look up to as a player?
Definitely MajorBowman. It’s crazy how consistent he is and every time we play in any tourney match, I’ve always had a ton of fun regardless the outcome. I also really like SamVGC’s teams. If I had to pick, I’d probably name him the best builder in doubles. Stratos is also really good playing wise and shaian’s XY teams, although they all look the same, are really good too.

14. How do you think Marshadow will affect the metagame?
Honestly I haven’t been playing SM enough to comment on this but in my somewhat limited opinion, I don’t think it’ll cause that big of an impact that everyone is expecting. It’s a decent fighting-type and it’ll help a bit against Snorlax but otherwise I don’t think it’ll make that big of a splash.

15. What are your hobbies outside of playing pokemon? What are you interested in?
Outside of Pokemon I don’t really do very much lol. I love running but that’s pretty much it. Running and Pokemon make up like 95% of my life haha. I guess I watch anime too and play smash 4 on the down low.

16. Who is your waifu, and why?
Contrary to popular belief, my waifu is not Chitoge. It’s actually Yuigahama Yui because she is cute and looks are everything.

17. Is there anything else you'd like to speak about?
Thanks for interviewing me and shoutouts to you for taking your time to read about me!

What's the most overrated pokemon in the meta?

Can you please unironically describe your home state?

How bad is HT 's name change and how long until you cave to this pressure?

Would you ever meet someone from smogon knowing you have to introduce yourself as 'DaAwesomeDude1'

How many lines from Finch did you realistically read in BIGs chat?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
Favorite mishi meme?
Favorite quote from tf qdbs besides mishi memes?
Why do you play the retarded violin?
What would your username be if you had just made your account?
[9:30 PM] Daddy1: is it gay to give yourself a blowjob if you can

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
<3

why is oklahoma the best state in the union? as a (part time) fellow oklahoman i fail to see why anyone would want to live there

why do we live in the same metro but haven't met up

mfk hoopa fini kangaskhan

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What's the most overrated pokemon in the meta?

Can you please unironically describe your home state?

How bad is HT 's name change and how long until you cave to this pressure?

Would you ever meet someone from smogon knowing you have to introduce yourself as 'DaAwesomeDude1'

How many lines from Finch did you realistically read in BIGs chat?
Oklahoma honestly isn't that bad once you get out of the rural areas. Luckily I live in the suburbs so I haven't dealt with much of the budget cut problems. I will admit though that the rural areas are pretty bad.

It's probably a top 3 worse name change. His name used to be Hairy Ambipom and he somehow topped it with Hairy Toenail. I thought he wasn't able to top it anymore but guess I was wrong. I will never change this name

I hope that day will never come

I only read the lines that he tagged me in otherwise I don't really read them

<3

why is oklahoma the best state in the union? as a (part time) fellow oklahoman i fail to see why anyone would want to live there

why do we live in the same metro but haven't met up

mfk hoopa fini kangaskhan
<3

The weather is unpredictable so every day is an adventure. I like it the most when random tornadoes pop out of nowhere; it really spices up my day.

We can meet up when I start school next semester.

marry fini because it's probably a decent wife from the looks
fuck hoopa because it looks like it'll be wild in bed
kill kangaskhan because it has a child already and I don't want to have the responsibility of a kid. I just want to hit it and quit it.

Favorite mishi meme?
Favorite quote from tf qdbs besides mishi memes?
Why do you play the retarded violin?
What would your username be if you had just made your account?
[9:30 PM] Daddy1: is it gay to give yourself a blowjob if you can
September 31st is probably my favorite.

[22:04:09] HustonSmogon: Time for a TF domination bitches
(robintheultraloser notes: has he always known about this)
(vyvan le notes: no idk wtf hes doing)

My parents forced me to, I actually wanted to play the trumpet :(

Probably like Hachiman or something idk

[9:31 PM] Daddy1: it's the same as masturbation
[9:31 PM] Daddy1: only with your mouth

what happened to all your stories of you picking up MAD PU$$ in ct chat?? not heard from u about those in a while

wud u sacrifice ure waifu to bring AM back
All high schoolers are snakes I am waiting til college to start drowning in the pusc again.

yes :( AM

whatd i miss?
smd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)