Lower Tiers Doubles OU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Hey this thread is stickied now, that's nice.

Anyway onto a few noms.

Clefairy 3 -> 4: Friend Guard + Follow me is cool and all, but it has very lackluster bulk and is generally outclassed by other redirectors in most of its roles except beating Hydreigon, which it still fails if it runs Flash Cannon. Icy Wind + Helping Hand is done better by Jirachi, being a bulky redirector is done better by both Jirachi and Amoongus. Friend Guard means that it's allies only receive 3/4 of the damage, but that really doesn't outweigh its numerous flaws. Plus its so annoyingly passive that even Cresselia looks like a good offensive mon next to it.

Porygon2 3 -> 2': Porygon 2 is one of the best Trick Room setters imo as like Hoopa, it has actual offensive presence + Good bulk + Recovery to top it off. Fighting types are annoying but most TR teams have ways to deal with them anyway (like Hoopa.) Right now, it definitely outshines most of the mons in Tier 3 and it should definitely rise.

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Weavile -> 2

I know I originally was the one who nommed this down to 3, but I've been using weavile a lot lately and really liking it. First off, it has spectacular speed and coverage, and, if you run Life Orb, literally nothing can switch in (minus fightings a la Keldeo). Off the top of my head, Life Orb Crash ohkos Thundurus, Low Kick ohkos Terrakion, any chip on kang and low kick kos, and Knock Off is a roll to KO Aegislash. I feel its offensive potential and the sheer ammount of pressure it's capable of exerting on teams due to having a fast, powerful Knock Off make this enough for tier 2.

Matame

New Rules
Conkeldurr -> 2
I like conk. Well rounded mon with good stats where it can be relativly bulky and also pack a punch. Can pick up alot of surpise KO's with hammer arm and has a good enough movepool to be effective outside of trick room and it can also provide much needed wide guard support. I feel it fits the tier 2 description alot better as its not oddly specific where it only works on a small portion of teams.

So where would Moltres be on this anyone?

Can someone explain to me how i could work out where pokemon not listed would fit into these rankings. Or if its not listed does that mean dont use it?
I just want to make a team that appears "unique" (not using common pokemon in doubles)

I really wish i could find someone to talk to about designing a team :'(

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
So where would Moltres be on this anyone?

Can someone explain to me how i could work out where pokemon not listed would fit into these rankings. Or if its not listed does that mean dont use it?
I just want to make a team that appears "unique" (not using common pokemon in doubles)

I really wish i could find someone to talk to about designing a team :'(
Any Pokemon that isn't in these rankings is typically deemed to be unviable. Generally, that means you shouldn't use Pokemon not on this if you intend to make a viable team unless there's a really specific niche or you just really want to. Moltres is generally outclassed by other Fire-types in the metagame such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y as they both have much more power and the former has better bulk and defensive typing.

Also, I don't want to come across as discouraging you from doing what you want, but generally using a team that appears "unique" is not the way to go as more often than not, the effort can fall flat. A Pokemon is common because they're good; leaning solely on uncommon mons can be a risky affair :pirate:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Moltres probably got a bit better with Flame Body tbh and I would consider trying it out again. I've used it before and it's very niche, but can work. Pwnemon has used it too a loooong time ago. Back then I used it as a substitute attacker with lefties, since it can get subs on things like Amoong and Aeg and it also lets it "beat" Heatran in a way. Moltres's best niche compared to other Fire type special attackers is that it has a strong as hell Hurricane, so Moltres can be a Fire type on a rain team. But Talon also works well there and even better than Moltres in general.

But outside of straight up attacking, I guess with Flame Body now I could also consider using it as a bulky Tailwind user that Kanga (really) doesn't want to Fake Out. Sort of like how Zapdos already gets used, now with Static, but Moltres's burns are even better. Moltres doesn't need or want Goggles like Zapdos does because it beats Amoonguss already, so it can use Lefties or Sitrus, which is great... but still, not resisting Talon's BB, dying to every Rock Slide, as well as Water and Electric weaknesses are HUGE drawbacks relative to Zapdos.

Speaking of Zapdos, I stand by my support of it rising a bit as mentioned in my last post (along with the other two Pokemon in it)

Anyways, when it comes to Moltres, I've been looking in to it a bit since the Hidden Abilities were released. I believe its biggest flaw to be the lack of speed it has in comparison to Talonflame. Because Talonflame gets priority on all Flying moves, it isn't harmed as much from Rock Slides in the format as Moltres is. For example, against a Scarf Lando-T (which is everywhere if you haven't noticed yet), Talonflame can get off Tailwind before it goes down to a Rock Slide, allowing you to bring in whatever you want and proceed to outspeed things in the following Tailwind turns. Moltres is out-sped, meaning you do not have this option and switching directly out is often forced. This can also apply to some extent to Charti Berry Talon vs Moltres, because even though Moltres will live a Rock Slide in this case, the lack of priority still risks the 30% flinch rate that Rock Slide possesses. The general point here is that priority on Talonflame is HUGE, allowing it to avoid many issues a Rock Slide weakness would otherwise pose to it, and Moltres really struggles to compete with such an advantage that Gale Wings allows.

The two things Moltres does have going for it here are access to a STAB spread move in Heat Wave, and the ability to actually utilize Hidden Power (meaning things like Heatran aren't quite as safe in front of Moltres as they would be in front of Talonflame). This being said, finding a slot for Hidden Power seems very difficult to do without dropping Tailwind. If I were to place Moltres somewhere, it would probably be tier 3, but that's simply my opinion on this.

-EDIT-
People seemed to misunderstand my intentions of this post. I wanted to explain my thoughts on Moltres based on what I know. I don't intend this as a definitive answer or a nomination; simply my opinion at this time, to give Smithy an idea of where it might be on the rankings once it is more concretely understood.

Last edited:
honestly scarf washtom is still very viable to me. I love that thing. Solid talon, lando, kang, bulky water, and just about anything that doesnt like taking burns check.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it also works as a fantastic pivot and, unlike kyurem, doesnt reveal its scarf to lando for those surprise ko's

sforz

[22:14] sforz: i love memes
I've used moltres a fair bit after it dropped and the question boils down to this: would you be willing to play with a flame body talonflame if you were forced to put 0 speed evs but you are about as bulky as a 252 hp / 200 def / 200 spdef talonflame?

The answer is usually no. Nobody would use 0 speed flame body talonflame even if it meant they could use 252 hp / 252 atk / 252 def / 252 spdef. What if Kangaskhan returns you and he doesn't burn? Usually, you are down a mon for very little compensation. And this will happen 50% of the time you are hit by a Kangaskhan, and more often if the physical attacker only makes contact once. Also, even if Kanga gets burned right away you are still losing moltres most of the time because it took like 75%, and a burnt kanga can still fake out and support, or pup to not hit like a puss. Being special (and actually doing damage unlike a 252 hp / 128 def / 128 spdef talonflame) means that it's not gonna straight up get in the way and lose you the game because of it, but it's not being an mvp / putting much work anytime soon in any matchup like any of the tier 3s.

I would rank it below Garchomp. Doesn't lose you games, ok vs kangas and fake outs and fires and steels, but that's where it ends and better options exist. From my experience, I'm actually really certain you could get away with using it, but the whole point isn't to get away with bad stuff.

I would like to hear opinions on Breloom 2-> 2'. This thing is not very splashable as its placement in 2 implies. Literally everything and their mother EVs to outspeed it, combined with the popularity of counterteaming Amoonguss with safety goggles somehow became standard, lol, Breloom is caught in the wayside. It is literally only strictly seen on tailwind HO teams with Fake Out support, quite similar Deo-A other than the tailwind part ofc which probably makes it even more niche? Other speed control options such as T-wave and Trick Room aren't compatible with Breloom which leaves Tailwind as its only option, but Tailwind support is very limited in availability, with only Talonflame, dragons, Suicune, and Zapdos as viable users of the move. I feel that Breloom is niche enough to the point that 2' is an apt description.

Another thing I would want some answers on is the placement of Rhydon and Rhyperior. I've seen many teams use Rhyperior > Rhydon on teams and they usually end up having similar impact on the game. Rhyperior does a lot more damage which comes into effect vs stuff like Landorus-T and other common Pokemon. Rhydon takes less damage from neutral hits but this rarely ends up mattering due to how much dmg they are threatened by super effective / special moves I'm not sure if Rhyperior is significantly worse than Rhydon. Main reason for the nom is that I've heard a few recognized players say good things about Rhyperior, so if I'm wrong feel free to tell me why.

Everything's looking pretty good, so I'm not sure if there's much else to discuss other than the Rotom-W and Zapdos discussions which happened after the votes were getting tallied. Nice update!

Last edited:

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
So I'd just like to say I think these most recent VR shifts much better represent the meta as it stands now, so yeah :D

1.5 --> 2

Whenever I use this mon I just find myself disappointed by how much of a momentum suck it is. Though it has good typing and nifty coverage, its mediocre Speed and its decent-but-not-great defenses always leave me wanting more. It's also basically useless against mons like Kube and Amoonguss and can be pretty easily played around. I know this nom will probably be hotly disputed, but I just wanted to get it out there.
actually lol no washtom walls big steamy to infinity and beyond. let's just pretend I never said that.

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
PSA: Volcanion is officially out

In light of this to reduce the flood of theorymonning that is likely to come, please DO NOT NOM Volcanion on the Viability Rankings for the next 2 weeks.

The Vrank council will vote on it at that time to give it an initial placement, but from then on nom away.

Keep playing with Volcanion in the meantime and hopefully we can see it in action in the first 2 weeks of DPL.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Lots of lower tier nominations comin through

Drops:
Mega Abomasnow Tier 2' -> 3
Mega Abomasnow has a fair number of things going for it: It hits decently hard physically or specially, has passable bulk, and low speed to take advantage of Trick Room. Unfortunately, meta shifts have not been kind to it - building a team with Mega Abomasnow makes it far too easy to end up Heatran and/or Talonflame weak. The release of Volcanion, in my opinion, pushes it over the line to the point where most of the time, Mega Abomasnow holds the team back more than it helps. It's still a decent pick, but not on the same level as mons such as Kingdra or Mega Charizard X.

Raikou Tier 3 -> 4
The only reasons to use this over Thundurus are a weakness to Rock Slide or opposing Thundurus. Even then, Rotom-W or Rotom-H are often more helpful. In practice, I have found Raikou to be slightly disappointing in many ways and feel that it better fits in Tier 4 to reflect that it is typically outclassed.

Chesnaught Tier 4 -> UR
I have not seen a single Chesnaught since Arctic used it in Doubles Open. Sure, he had a fair amount of success with it, but he also had some success with an AV Seaking so that isn't saying much. Feint support is kinda cute and it's hella bulky but really not worth using it. If anyone aside from Arctic can weigh in having used it or found a team where Chesnaught was actually the best choice, feel free to disagree.

Mega Latias Tier 4 -> UR
Mega Latias isn't exactly bad, but it's one of those mons that you have to build around so specifically and doesn't offer much to a team. The amount of support that Mega Latias needs, combined with unimpressive offenses unless it gets two boosts, makes it unworthy of its place on the VR. Just because you can make a Pokemon work doesn't mean that it should be considered generally viable. This mon belongs with the likes of Mega Gyarados, Mega Gallade, and Mega Houndoom as Mega Evolutions that are decent, but not decent enough to overcome the opportunity cost of giving up on other megas.

Rises:
Mega Lucario Tier 4 -> 3
In testing with this Pokemon so that I could write its analysis, I was very impressed. A set of Close Combat / Flash Cannon / Stone Edge / Tect allows Mega Lucario to OHKO all three of the most common Megas, even after an Intimidate drop. It hits that perfect speed tier of being just slightly faster than Thundurus and Close Combat will do serious damage to anything, even threats that resist it. The Sub and ESpeed sets also offer a little bit of versatility to fit the team. This is definitely a Pokemon that I think should get more usage.

Rhyperior Tier 4 -> 3
sforz already touched on this one, but I wanted to make an official nomination. Rhyperior's newish fast set with TW support is seriously impressive, dealing out great damage and protecting its fellow TWind-benefitters from TWave. It's definitely on par with its pre-evolution, and belongs right beside it in the VR.

Bronzong UR -> Tier 4
I'm not necessarily expecting this to go through, but Bronzong is a pretty nifty TR setter that can do serious damage with Gyro Ball. I've used LO, Mental Herb, and Goggles sets and all were decent. The main advantage over Jirachi is the immunity to Ground, which is a rarity on Trick Room teams. Biosci has used this mon to a fair amount of success in SPL and this current seasonal, and I know I've seen Nido-Rus and shaian using it as well. Cool mon, deserves a spot imo.

I still like Raikou in tier three, especially with the arrival of volcanion making it quite a bit more useful.

Weather Ball raikou is a great char-y partner. They never see it coming.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
thetalkingtree can you post some mega luke teams? I've never really seen this thing used competitively (although I did face it just r6 of this seasonal) and I haven't really seen it be like motherfuckers respect me the same way other megas do. Do you have replays of it working well?

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
BlueSkiddoWeCanToo, If Raikou runs Weather Ball then it has to have a Rash nature, leaving it outsped by Latios, Diancie, etc which is groan zone. Also, if you want an electric that checks Volcanion, you're better off with Rotom-W, which can actually take 2 Steam Eruptions.

checkmater, I don't tend to save replays, so I don't have any that I can post. However, here's one example team that I built fairly recently:
Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge
- Detect

Thundurus @ Charti Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 148 HP / 28 Def / 180 SpA / 32 SpD / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Tailwind
- Protect

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 100 HP / 72 Def / 248 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Volcanion @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 144 HP / 224 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower
Mega Luke + Bulky(ish) Thund is a really solid core that handles tons of threats, added Hydrei to take on Aegis and Trick Room. Sylv takes advantage of that TWind Hydrei and beat the Fighting-types that Mega Luke hates, and Big Steamy can beat the Steel-types for Sylv, but also check Sun somewhat well with Goggles and great resists. Lando-T is the glue mon *feigned surprise*, provides Intimidate, another check to opposing Lando, and a Kang switchin, among other things.

Try it out, this team is also pretty new so it's possible that I missed a weakness or two but it's been solid in testing.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
I like Mega Lucario too and support it moving up a tier in the rankings. It's got so much potential on the offensive side with its ridiculously powerful CC and high Speed that lets it outrun the key base 110 Speed tier, which most notably includes Mega Diancie. While it doesn't have any reliable physical Steel STAB, going mixed and running Flash Cannon on it works just fine. Splitting EVs on its offenses doesn't do much harm as Mega Luke CC with 132 Atk EVs does nearly as much as Adamant Mega Kangaskhan Return; the thing though with Mega Lucario is it also actually has typing advantages to speak of and isn't hampered much by Intimidate due to Adaptability Flash Cannon still hitting hard even with just partial investment.

I personally prefer the Substitute set as that thing can really punish free turns. Playing passive against it can really be a bit scary as having that kind of firepower behind a Sub is really scary. Stone Edge as a third move is really nifty too for hitting some annoying Flyings like Zard Y and Gyarados; note that non-resisted Adapatability Close Combat is more powerful than a x2 SE Stone Edge so hitting stuff like Rotom-H and Volcanion with it is unnecessary. Spamming its CC is just great as it can just obliterate most of the stuff taking it, even when resisted; for example, Latios is 2HKOed by Mega Lucario CC even with just 132 Atk EVs. Being a really powerful attacker that also outruns 110s makes it a unique (but not necessarily great) threat in itself as well, as it's free to dish out its strong attacks without fear of getting RK'd by the likes of Latios, Mega Diancie, Keldeo, etc. Of course, it can function as a threat to the said mons as well.

Of course, it still faces a lot of problems. It's totally walled by Aegislash and is roflstopmed by the most common threat in the metagame inScarf Lando-T. Its frailness means it can't switch on much and leaves it really easily picked off by priority such as Talonflame BB, especially when it has a drop from CC. It needs its Speed advantage against foes really badly to be effective as it's just easily picked off otherwise, making speed control a good way of pressuring it. Having your team's Steel be unable to take any attacks for its teammates sucks too.

Mega Lucario fits Tier 3 quite well. "Pokemon that can only serve a specific role not needed by most teams, but can still perform excellently." The specific role here is totally fucking fast and strong attacker that you build around on. It has its noticeable number of flaws, sure, but it functions decently enough and can be an occasional dangerous threat, making it right at home in that ranking.

Mega Gardevoir Tier 2 -> Tier 1.5

With Volcanion shaping up to be one of the biggest threats in the tier, Semi Trick Room is coming back up, and Gardevoir is one of the best team members on this archetype. It can set up Trick Room for itself and a partner like Amoonguss and go to town on the opposition with a Hyper Voice that is extremely hard to deal with atm with Heatran's sharp decline in popularity. Outside of TR, it can swiftly deal with threats like Amoonguss and Scrafty while matching up fine against Volcanion itself, 2HKOing it with Psychic. Pair this up with a Dark-type like Hydreigon, Hoopa-U or Scrafty and you won't be disappointed :)

Last edited:

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
New Vrank shifts

Votes are in the order Stratos, KyleCole, qsns, TOTEM, kamikaze

Entei 4 -> 3

no

No, in a tier filled to the brim with fire types I don't think Sacred Fire Dog is quite strong enough to be considered anything but a fringe pick.

No, I think bulkier Fire-types were rare enough before Volcanion's release that Entei could be justified in certain circumstances but it seems a lot harder to fit onto teams now. Still Tier 4 worthy for checking Sun though.

abstain

No. hasnt really picked up usage as other fire types generally take its role on most teams

Zapdos 3 -> 2
HELL no

No, while I like that Zapdos got nice access to Static recently it really isn't a great pick for most teams unless you really really need Tailwind for some reason. Bulky Thundurus is almost always better. Yes I'm aware that Zapdos is slightly bulkier and gets roost, but no this is not enough to justify using it over Thundurus most of the time.

No, I really dislike Zapdos and I'd rather it drop lol. Thundurus does its job soooo much better even with slightly less bulk

yes i like zapdos it's good, roost + twind is v dif to twave and shit bulk

No. Static is cool but hasnt done much recently or picked up in usage because of that

Virizion 3 -> 2
no

No, I am a big fan of grass deer but it just isn't as good as the other Pokemon in 2.

No, too niche for tier 2. Haven't seen it in a while

good at what is does but it's still too nietzche

No. good coverage but still somewhat niche, and all its damage rolls to get KO's are completely out of the picture after an intimidate which is a serious issue that holds it back from rising.

Breloom 2 -> 2'
abstain?

No, Breloom doesn't not require specific/additional support that you wouldn't include on a team anyways. Fwiw if one of you guys noms Breloom to move down to 3 next round you'll probably get a yes from me.

No, Breloom doesn't need extra team support

whatatatatataataatata

No. the support it needs is mainly from its own sash. You can argue that it thrives with tailwind partners but it doesnt always need that actively on the field to be effective.

Infernape 3 -> 2
yes

Tentative yes, awesome coverage + fake out and Encore support options are super cool. This Pokemon would be super amazing if it could KO Kangaskhan and run focus sash, but I'll give it 2.

Yes, this thing's pretty sick. I prefer LO but both items are quite nice, great support for a lot of mons that want Aegislash/Amoonguss removed.

abstain

Yes. fast fake out and fire fighting coverage checks a lot especially for fairy partners.

Gyarados 3 -> 2
yes

No, this is barely 3 imo. The CB set is over hyped, the support set is awful, and the DD set is OK. 3 is just where this belongs.

No, CB is best set tbh and Water STAB isn't a brilliant typing to lock into atm. Other sets are mediocre at best.

i actually think support is better than cb but idk about moving to 2 tbh

No. Has always been underwhelming whenever I use it besides 1 game with Stratos where it had good matchup. Maybe my opinion on this will change later but I still dont like it with thundurus, diancie, and dragons as common as they are.

Clefairy 3 -> 4
yes

yes. If it doesn't get used it doesn't get a high ranking and Clefairy is not getting used.

0 usage = drop

do people use this lol

Yes. havent seen this in forever. I would consider even Unranking potentially.

Porygon2 3 -> 2'
no

No Freeze Bait. But honestly no, it can be tough to justify a Trick Room setter that gets slam dunked by most Trick Room checks and is vulnerable to all 3 of Bisharp Knock Off, Sleep, and Taunt. I like that it has a lot of match ups where if your opponent just has to go for damage then p2 usually comes out on top, but 3 is fine.

no, I think p2 is too passive if they have any Trick Room checks to be in Tier 2, though I do think it's one of the better mons in 3. Most other TR setters can circumvent a setter weakness with Goggles or an ability, and even if they get Taunted, can fire off a strong attack. This doesn't :(

reliable tr usually but it doesnt do much else

No. If it could freeze on command with Ice Beam maybe. In all seriousness though, TR setters and TR in general need a major breakthrough to reach Tier 2 or above. Hoopa and Garde seem to be the main setters that are able to effectively set and provide immense offensive pressure under TR atm. It is quite bulky and can set TR multiple times but I think the lack of offensive pressure is big

Weavile 3 -> 2
no

No. Just another mon that isn't good enough. If there was one person who was going to agree with this nom it was me, I used Weavile 3 times in SPL and never regretted it. I just don't think it's quite viable enough for 2. And for the love of god don't use Life Orb.

no, i've never been a big fan of this. good stabs and fake out is nice but it feels too weak and too niche for 2.

not rly no

Abstain

Conkeldurr 3 -> 2
no

No, I've been testing this a bit more lately because on the surface Guts Conkeldurr is an OK check to Volcanion, but I haven't found it to be all that good vs Volcanion teams or really anything else. The Life Orb / Iron Fist set is the same as it always was and I think it belongs in 3.

Yes, I really really like Conk for its Wide Guard support and its strong priority. Fighting + Ice coverage is really good and its bulky enough to take a ton of hits from the physical side and a few on the special side. so good x_x

not rly no

Yes. sick fighting type that can actually check genies. Wide guard life orb iron fist does massive damage while guts AV is also a fun set to soak in status

Manaphy 3 -> 4
yes

Yes. Same reasoning as Clefairy, it just doesn't get used.

0 usage = drop

arctic + xzern can cry together for this one

Yes. little usage

Mega Abomasnow 2' -> 3
yes

Yes. Doesn't see much usage, but even when it does get used most of the time I feel like the the person wanted to use Mega Abomasnow more than they wanted to use a team that wins games, and the results generally reflect that. That being said it is an OK pick so I wouldn't go down to 4 on this.

haven't seen this work well in ages, it's always cool in theory to dunk genies but then in practice it kinda sucks. was testing this in SPL and pwne's brilliant solution to fix my team was "replace aboma with kang" and the team ended up 1000x better.

i like this in 2

Abstain

Raikou 3 -> 4
yes

Yes, another mon that I quite like but isn't very good. Unless your opponent is super likely to use more than 1 of Talonflame/Keldeo/Thundurus/Salamence every game then you're better off using something else. Obligatory nice access to Snarl.

Yes, Snarl is cool but not cool enough for tier 3

i assume it was only in 3 before 4 existed, it should be 4

Yes. Had nice access to tier 3 for far too long

Chesnaught 4 -> UR
yes

Yes, doesn't get used anymore.

0 usage = drop

who use this????????????????/

Yes. havent seen in awhile

Mega Latias 4 -> UR
yes

Yes. I don't know why this was ever ranked. Trash mon.

0 usage = drop

see above

Yes. havent seen in awhile

Mega Lucario 4 -> 3
no

No. Bad mon. Someone mentioned in the Mega Latias nom that they would compare it to the other silly but actually-conceivable-that-they-might-win-a-game megas like Houndoom and that is exactly how I feel about Mega Lucario. A fringe mon with a couple of good match ups that is overwhelmed by bad ones. As soon as your opponent clicks Trick Room, Tailwind, Icy Wind, or Thunder Wave, Lucario instantly loses all viability and EVERY TEAM has at least one of these. Not to mention losing to >50% usage Landorus-T.

Abstain, I haven't used this at all. I can see the arguments for it but it really gets crushed by any form of speed control which is terrible for such a frail mon

yeah i like luc it owns poor noobs

No. destructive force but doesnt see much usage and is checked by a little too many threats in the metagame

Rhyperior 4 -> 3
yes

Abstain

Yes, fits well into a meta where Thundurus is on >50% of teams and can crush Volcanion outside of TW if it has 0 speed.

R O C K P O L I S H @ E X P A N D D O N G

Abstain

Bronzong UR -> 4
yes

Yes, getting dunked by this in SPL has gotten me to test it a lot more lately and I really like it. Pairs well with Volcanion which is cool btw.

Sure, zong is neat and i've used + seen it on some cool Volcanion teams recently.

expand zong? (yes)

Yes. Thank god gravity sleep is banned here though.

Final Changes:
Infernape moves from 3 -> 2
Clefairy moves from 3 -> 4
Manaphy moves from 3 -> 4
Mega Abomasnow moves from 2' -> 3
Raikou Tier moves from 3 -> 4
Chesnaught moves from 4 -> UR
Mega Latias moves from 4 -> UR
Rhyperior moves from 4 -> 3
Bronzong moves from UR -> 4

I will send out the next round of nominations at the end of this week. Right now it seems only Mega Gardevoir has not been voted on. Volcanion will also be voted on in the next round and given an initial placement.

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
dunno if its been nommed recently or w/e but its time for my quarterly "BUMP GARDE TO 1.5" post so yeah. see im not even going for 1 anymore (it should totally be 1)

gard ----> 1.5 --> dope as shit on like hos, tr / and semis, sick ass neutral coverage, easy as shit to support and all that good stuff, top grade poke-waifu, has the coolest shiny colours

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
ok I was going to post when votes came in but it's been like 3 weeks (even tho they were decided already or something?) so fuck it

Camerupt--> 4

"Just use Heatran" - Camerupt has way better matchups / damage output against opposing Volcanion and beating Amoonguss much more solidly in terms of being able to manipulate its out of tr speed and in-tr speed.

Heatran --> 1.5

Volcanion's here. I remember when it was nommed to tier 1 I could see it because I saw it everywhere and it was dicking on people as sub but i feel like I don't really see that anymore so /shrug/

Metagross -> 3

Really just don't feel good about this thing anymore... never really seen a huge amount of tour success and it's pretty unpopular

Bisharp --> 3

same as above. Also sucks ass. Sure you can use this once or twice but is it really any good? pshh

Kyube --> 2

Feel like this is kinda controversial but
1) Garde garde garde garde garde
2) post yfw kyube is only rain check and then Kingdra
Still pretty handy and I still definitely like it on some teams for its outright bulk over other option and bluffing possibilities
Also slowest dragon ;____;

Bronzong --> 3
this thing is at least as good as all those other setters in 3

Mew --> 2'
Strong pivot/supporter of setup sweeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)