Doubles Overview, Benchmarks, and Q&A Thread—Read before asking!

Am I correct to think that set-up moves (swords dance, calm mind etc.) are used much less than in singles or even redundant altogether, due to the much faster pace in doubles?
Yes. Only Some bulkier attackers like Azumarill and Charizard X can use boosting moves well

frankly, does it matter? if you feel confident that you'll win with it, use it. if you don't; dont. if your opponent rages at you for using a gimmick say "fuck off (BAN ME PLEASE)."
It isnt for me lol, I dont plan on using that, me and champ were arguing if it was a gimmick or not :P

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im not sure if it's a gimmick or not, although it is uncompetitive imo for the reason that it involves little to no interaction with the opponent (note: uncompetitive doesn't necessarily mean broken).

Do you guys consider Perish Trap a gimmick? If so, why?
Having helped champetero with various Perish Trap teams and tried out two myself I definitely believe it to be a gimmick since it tends to have an incredibly hard time in certain match ups and can be fairly inconsistent. Does that mean its a bad playstyle? Not necessarily.

If something is a gimmick that doesn't mean its trash, it means it can be at the least somewhat inconsistent and often scores wins off of a combination of surprise value and skillful play, and fairly often can't take matches off of raw skill alone. This means as long as you keep some form of surprises coming Perish Trap will likely remain viable, but if you run out of them it probably won't be.

Basically what I'm saying is that "gimmick" =/= "its horrible you should never use it and you're a terrible player if you do", and I think this is a common misconception a lot of players are getting (to an extent at the least)

Having helped champetero with various Perish Trap teams and tried out two myself I definitely believe it to be a gimmick since it tends to have an incredibly hard time in certain match ups and can be fairly inconsistent. Does that mean its a bad playstyle? Not necessarily.

If something is a gimmick that doesn't mean its trash, it means it can be at the least somewhat inconsistent and often scores wins off of a combination of surprise value and skillful play, and fairly often can't take matches off of raw skill alone. This means as long as you keep some form of surprises coming Perish Trap will likely remain viable, but if you run out of them it probably won't be.

Basically what I'm saying is that "gimmick" =/= "its horrible you should never use it and you're a terrible player if you do", and I think this is a common misconception a lot of players are getting (to an extent at the least)
Agreed. Thanks for your opinion guys :P

Ok thanks guys! ^
Vivillon also has Friend Guard, and is a little bit more viable. It's not anything too amazing in doubles, but might be able to fit in your team nicely. To name a few of it's highlights, Satan's butterfly has access to Hurricane, Bug Buzz, Psychic, Solar Beam, Sleep Powder, and Quiver Dance.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'd recommend against that too; if you're going to use vivillon at all you should probably rock the CompoundEyes quiver dance hurricane bug buzz protect set which is not exactly rockin on team support. vivillon is far too frail to use friend guard.

I'd recommend against that too; if you're going to use vivillon at all you should probably rock the CompoundEyes quiver dance hurricane bug buzz protect set which is not exactly rockin on team support. vivillon is far too frail to use friend guard.
I think Sleep Powder works a lot better than Quiver Dance. It changes Vivillon from a mon that needs free turns to a mon that GIVES free turns.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
More like Sleep Powder over Bug Buzz. Sleep Powder is great for team support, but also very conducive in setting up Quiver Dances. The Speed boost in turn make Vivillion a fast annoying Sleep inducer with an accurate hard-hitting, confusion-inducing boosted Hurricane.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why is Cresselia more viable in Double?
Cresselia's support movepool and massive bulk make up a large portion of its viability in Doubles. It literally breathes "support"- Dual Screens, Thunder Wave, Helping Hand, Safeguard, and Icy Wind are all ways it can support its partner (all strategies that are not as viable in Singles due to the fact that only one Pokemon can enjoy the support at once, compared to two Pokemon in Doubles) Because of its massive bulk on both ends of the spectrum, it is also an extremely reliable Trick Room setter, and with Moonlight, it can easily heal itself.

Generally, in Doubles, well roundedly bulky Pokemon excel because of their ability to shrug off hits from both ends of the spectrum, in comparison to the relatively weak defensive prowess of leaning Pokemon. This is because while facing two opponents, it's more likely that the opponent will be able to attack from an angle that the wall is weak to. (Good examples of this include Skarmory, which is terrible in Doubles because of its inability to sponge special attacks [among other things], and Blissey / Chansey, which are also terrible in Doubles because of their inability to shrug off physical attacks.)

Entry hazards are another thing. In Singles, Cresselia isn't used as much because it has absolutely no entry hazard control. Compare this to defensive behemoths like Skarmory and Ferrothorn, which can lay both major types of entry hazards, while Skarmory can even remove them. In Doubles, this doesn't matter, because entry hazards are almost never used and are never necessary. Thus, the main advantage of many singles defensive Pokemon are taken away.

Plus it has a pretty good offensive movepool too

Why is Cresselia more viable in Double?
i think that cresselia has actually been nerfed (if thats the way to put it!) this gen. it didnt really gain any new toys in xy and while the metagame has got stronger, with pokes like bisharp and mega kangaskhan being very powerful and common, cresselia has been left behind as it cannot stand up to these threats any better than it might have done last gen.

Of course, dont let this say that cresselia is unviable. It still has an amazing support movepool, with all kinds of speed control, amazing bulk, and even weather support. Cresselia can still hold its own in this metagame, but maybe less so than last gen

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I'm looking for stuff on mienshao. Is there a reason why it's hardly mentioned at all in this forum and in analyses? Or is it just outclassed by hitmontop completely?

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm looking for stuff on mienshao. Is there a reason why it's hardly mentioned at all in this forum and in analyses? Or is it just outclassed by hitmontop completely?
It mostly is outclassed, because it doesnt have much bulk to use any support moves it has (like wide guard). Also its main STAB move, hjk, is cock-blocked by protect whilst drain punch is too weak.
Offensively it receives competition from keldeo and terrakion, who have good seconadary stabs, better bulk and quick guard, or even infernape which is similar, but has a fire secondary STAB and a nicer speed tier (which allows it to speed tie with terrak and keldeo).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)