Doubles potential with NU mons

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
zeb said I could so if the thread sucks blame him imo.

With doubles support added to PS recently something came to mind - one, the awesome mons found in NU, and two, if these mons were to partner up, what kind of things would be possible in a NU doubles metagame with what we have now? Would certain strategies that are already effective in NU become even more effective in NU's doubles? What kinds of mons would you think would be good together?

Given that NU has a lot of Pokemon that can absorb others' attacks, such as sap sippers, water absorb, storm drain, flash fire etc, the potential for certain Pokemon such as Sawsbuck using Agility or SD and partnering that up with something like Exeggutor which could set up sunny day doubling speed, boost its attack with a grass move, and then make it a lot harder to take down, and so on.

Of course there's many other things possible, but how would doubles improve the current metagame, and what combinations would likely appear/be interesting?

Wow, wow, wow, I played Doubles NU on the ADV generation, and that was masterful, and I think that could be a really funny and great metagame if we do a Doubles NU for this generation, too.

Some fast things:

- Hazards sucks, good bye Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and the need to carry a spinner and spin-blocker (Ghosts are still a decent option because Explosion here is a threat), that could make a lot of changes, just like Alomomola failing to the most deep hole.

- With hazards being horrible, even on 6vs6 Doubles, then your Stealth Rocks weakers pals, like Charizard, Flareon, Rapidash, Lapras, and others, will see a lot more of use, as what make them hold back is mostly Stealth Rock, and I can see hail and sun teams completely viable and being strong on doubles.

- Surprise tactics are more important than never, offen gimnnickys are now useful like the resistant berries, Counter and Mirror Coat, and some defense juggernauts like Shuckle doing masterful support.

Oh, yeah, also, beware of Slaking, as with Gastro Acid, you will have a uber Pokémon of complete time ready to crush you, good partner? Shuckle!

Gurdurr and Piloswine still stop Slaking. Riolu (lol) as well. I admit Shuckle will be great in such a metagame, tho, Toxic everything and Contrary Shell Smash walling power.

The pace also allows powerful one-shot attackers, like Pikachu (Volt Tackle!), to be used though I'm not sure how good they actually are.

Prankster and priority will run rampant too. I would certainly play NU Doubles, even if I have to make an entirely new team for it it will be worth it.

Maybe Slaking would actually be a beast for once, but even that requires preperation. Leavanny would love that kind of attention too! Also, Beheeyem would be useful because his abilities are pretty good for doubles. In the event that the predictable Plusle/Minun double goes up, I would like to remind everyone that you're better off just forfeiting immediately, cause they won't do jack.

The NU environment as a whole has awesome potential and it would totally be a twist from what the singles meta is right now.

Oh this is cool. I had some random Double NU battles with FLCL before so I can give some input. One thing is Telepathy Musharna which is really cool since it avoids damage from allies widespread attacks such as Surf or Earthquake. Other mons that are cool in Doubles are Golurk which can hit hard with EQ hitting both of the opponents, Charizard which rules because of Heat Wave hitting both opponents mons and Stealth Rock being nonexistant in Doubles, Samu/Ludi hitting hard with Surf, and Rotom-F which can use its double stabs to wreck and Blizzard hitting/missing both of the opponents mon and taking advantage of the lack of Stealth Rock. Kangaskhan could be cool with Fake Out flinching so its teammate can take advantage. Other mons that randomly get Fake Out would be cool too. Protect would also be a common move on most movesets because of the way of Doubles battles. Same with Gems such as Fire Gem since you get the same boost as a Choice item without being locked and most matches are short so having no item after the Gem isn't hurtful.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just kind of forced a few people to make teams so I could test stuff, and Ludi + Cradily together is amazing. Rocks/grounds are more useful in doubles because of rock slide and EQ hitting the others which means Ludi and Cradily have a better chance to shine. Give Cradily a special set (of uh, giga/ancient/hp bug/earth power) and give Ludi specs and it's really really strong tbh.

ahh dang you nica forcing me to make a nu double team, i got sweeped easily by that stupid cradily and ludicolo

ya im a noob at this but i gotta say its pretty fun and it'll definitely improve the metagame imo ;D

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Doubles in NU would be interesting. Maybe Plusle and Minun will finally make their debut! xD I'd love to see a Double NU team with them in it that works successfully.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've just played a few matches with Starships and I'm finding the NU has a lot of potential when it comes to Pokémon choice and availability.

First of, unlike any other tier, there is no permanent weather. Which means if you want weather, you're going to have to set it yourself - something we only managed once in our few games.

Secondly, TR is a really strong and solid playstyle - and from what I've experienced Musharna is definitely the best user of this. Pokémon such as Cradily and Gurdur enjoy the boost of going first and can abuse their bulk to tank hits as well.

Strong Mons from what I've played are
-Musharna (Which must be used a kin to Cresselia in upper tier doubles - something with absurd defences that can take a hit and support your team to the fullest.) is an excellent TR setup mon, which the ability to heal itself. It can also abuse Telepathy quite well allowing you to fire off Surfs and Earthquakes. It's not unbeatable however, you just need to either Taunt or Sleep it before it sets up.

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles9185526
Here's one of our battles. I wanted to use Stunfisk so it's alright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)