Doubles Premier League Power Rankings

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Doubles Premier League Power Rankings
approved by Arcticblast
Welcome to the very first edition of the Doubles Premier League Power Rankings! The point of this thread is to give a representation of where every team stands in relation to others. To obtain a general overview, I've asked all the six managers to rank the opposing five teams, tallied up the votes, and ended up with an attempt at a mostly unbiased list.

Obviously, this list will not be perfect, as it will mostly take in account raw skill and doesn't take in account other factors. It will also not be entirely accurate due to the fact of a small amount of people voting for this. Because of this, it is highly encouraged to share your own opinion in this thread, as I think it will be an interesting discussion point to see where all teams rank. If I get enough votes in from other people discussing, I'll happily make a "community" list, which takes in account the rankings of everyone who has posted here. However, keep in mind while posting to keep discussion civil and unbiased!

Big thanks to all managers, Stratos, KyleCole, xzern, qsns, n1n1, and Memoric for the quick responses! Without further ado, lets start with the team coming first in the DPL Power Rankings:

Six Island Shitposters

Manager: Stratos
Player list: Stratos / kamikaze17 / checkmater75 / BLOOD TOTEM / Stax / Vinc2612 / clius / DragonWhale

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that the Six Island Shitposters claim the top spot in the Power Rankings. While Stratos's original goal was to create a fun and enjoyable team atmosphere, he created a powerful team filled with three Doubles SPL players, as well as potential top tier players clius and Stax. Lastly, the last two spots go to Vinc2612, a great SPL player that has shown to have capabilities in Doubles as well, and DragonWhale, a player with a lot of Battle Spot experience and a godly voice.

The highlight point of this roster is a possible rivalry between Stratos and checkmater, as they have shown to be competitive towards previously. They even have played against each other in the SPL's Salty Suite. Even though this might a small problem, Stratos has spoken highly of checkmater recently and everyone can agree that 12.5k was not a poor fee for checkmater.

It doesn't come as a surprise that such a solid team without significant weaknesses is placed #1 by every single manager. It is a very talented roster that we will undoubtedly find in the playoffs.

Oreburgh Ancients

Manager: KyleCole
Player list: KyleCole / MajorBowman / Dawgie / SamVGC / Mizuhime / Tricking / Shaneghoul / Derivatives

While Kyle's draft was originally doubted by some, because of the many VGC players he drafted, the Oreburgh Ancients get second place in the DPL Power Rankings. The managers are split between the Ancients; some think that the team has great team cohesion and chemistry due to everyone being friends with each other, while others doubt the high prices the trinity had.

Not only do the Ancients have great team cohesion, but some very good steals as well. Tricking and Mizuhime went for 4.5k and 5.5k, respectively. Some are wondering whether Tricking can pull his worth and perform like he has done in the past, while others are doubting Mizuhime as nobody has seen him play too much BW so far. The roster is finalized with the two other picks, Shaneghoul and the unbelievable 3k steal Derivatives.

The roster might have some small flaws, and it will be interesting to see if Kyle's high prices for his trinity will pay off, but many people can see this team making it to the playoffs easily, and the Ancients will undoubtedly be one of the scariest opponents.

Mossdeep City Space Jams

Manager: qsns
Player list: qsns / thetalkingtree / deoxys speed / Biosci / Pearl / karla Schnikov / Lohgock / ElegyOfVGC / Saamid / Mint16 / Kiyo / KratosMana / rozes

The Space Jams have the biggest roster in the entire DPL. Whether that will be a good thing or a bad thing will be tough to predict, but it's certain that qsns has some nice buys on his team.

Even though thetalkingtree went for much more than anticipated, due to a qsns typo, a lot of people are having high hopes for him. Some are wondering why he got drafted and some are seeing him as a potential new star. qsns compensated his 19k typo by drafting a bunch of SPL players that went for a fairly low price, being Biosci and Lohgock. It is arguable whether Lohgock will be of much worth, as he has struggled in the SPL.

Some consider the rest of the Space Jams to be a 'disaster' and being filled with 'meme people' which raises a lot of questions. Will Pearl show he is capable enough to snag a few wins? Will the gamble on karla Schnikov work out? Why did qsns draft the entire NUPL? Who even are Saamid and Mint16? There is a significant drop between quality on the second and third spot in the Power Rankings, as it is clear to see that the Ancients have a more powerful roster, which isn't 'watered down' by a bunch of players that haven't proven themselves entirely, if at all.

Tohjo Tramplers

Manager: Memoric
Player list: Memoric / n10sit / Nido-Rus / Croven / TUO / miltankmilk / Heliosan / Mishimono / Level 51 / nvakna

The Tramplers have an interesting team filled with good players, that haven't all quite proven themselves yet. Some speak of this roster as being highly talented with the potential to flame, while others are doubting the ability of this roster and think that the players are 'overrated'.

However, all of the drafted players have had significant success in Seasonals, as manager Memoric has won, as well as TUO. Players like n10sit, Nido-Rus, and Croven all have consistent performances in the Seasonals, while all of the other players have put down at least one great seasonals run.

It will be interesting to see how Memoric will lead the team and if his roster will flame. It will almost certainly be a breakthrough season for at least one of the players.

The Hungry Hungry Hippowdons

Manager: n1n1
Player list: n1n1 / Arcticblast / shaian / Yoda2798 / Yellow Paint / mang@ team / BlueSkiddoWeCanToo / DaAwesomeDude1 / Matame

Even though people were heavily doubting whether n1n1 could do well as a manager, it will be extremely interesting to see how his team will perform.

The obvious marquee player for this roster will be Arcticblast. The main question will be whether he can keep his motivation up in this team. shaian and Yellow Paint are both powerful players in BW and UU, respectively, which makes n1n1's roster filled up with at least one good player in every tier.

The rest of the roster looks shaky though. Yoda, manga team, BlueSkiddo, and Matame all don't have the greatest Seasonal records and in no other tournaments have they really shined. It will be interesting to see if they can get some surprise wins. Last but not least, n1n1 got to obtain DaAwesomeDude1 for GOAO because GOAO refused to play. DAD1 will almost certainly be a valuable asset for the Hippowdons, as he is known for slaying giants in Seasonals.

Slateport City Spindas

Manager: xzern
Player list: xzern / Flame Road / finally / AuraRayquaza / GiraGoomy / makiri / sforz / -Tsunami- / Haruno / p2 / Lolk / Sapientia

The Spindas draft looks unorganized and it isn't really clear what xzern tried to achieve. It looked like as if there was no plan whatsoever and that resulted in this roster that is considered a 'nightmare' by some of the managers.

The Spindas's marquee player will be finally, but it is quite unclear whether he can keep up motivation due to his relation with makiri and Haruno. Flame Road and GiraGoomy are both decent players, but will they be good enough to snag enough wins for the Spindas? What is the position of makiri and Haruno on this team? These are all questions that will be tough to predict, but quite honestly, nobody really knew what xzern tried to do, which makes me think he actually let his bird Johnny do the draft.

Overall Team Rankings (the max points is 25, min is 6)
The Six Island Shitposters - 25 points
The Oreburgh Ancients - 19 points
The Mossdeep City Space Jams - 16 points
The Tohjo Tramplers - 14 points
The Hungry Hungry Hippowdons - 10 points
The Slateport City Spindas - 6 points

Stratos

Banned deucer.
sure, here's what i wrote. as this is what i wrote u should already know that it might be kind of rude. youve been warned

1. Oreburgh Ancients: Kyle's team is definitely the biggest threat to my own getting a trophy. He focused on team cohesion first, drafting all the VGCers that were already friends in a bid to get a team that would motivate and test with each other, and in addition they're pretty good players. I wanted Sam and Dawg myself but not for their exorbitant prices, and I don't like Bowman's attitude or activity level but if there's any teammates he would do well with they're the ones Kyle picked. Past his 5-member VGC core the team really falls apart: Tricking is pretty much a known mediocre quantity who will certainly luck his way to a few wins but I don't expect any activity or surprising success from him. shaneghoul is a good dude and a fine 3k pick but I don't think the Ancients are a good place for a new player to thrive, and guest is a meme buy.

2. Tohjo Tramplers: It's wrong to count any team out entirely but the Tramplers are the last team that wouldn't totally surprise me if they won the whole thing. Memoric and n10sit are the only players that I would consider "strong" but it's a good group of guys that I expect to work fine together and the environment could be exactly what Nido-Rus / Croven / MiltankMilk / Mishimono / TUO, players who all show flashes of promise but aren't quite scary yet, need in order to become tournament threats in their own right. Heliosan and nvakna are basically dead buys and Level 51 is way too stuck in his ways for me to hold out serious hope that he levels up on this team but a lot of players could come out of the Tramplers stronger than they went in.

3. Mossdeep City Space Jams: ok so qsns basically drafted an assload of low quality players for 3k. Biggest overpay of the season goes to talkingtree and still would have even if qsns had capped at 12k on him like planned; he's a nice guy and all but the dude cannot play. Ignoring the disaster that is the rest of the team, though, qsns has a nice collection of all the SPL players nobody wanted with himself/deo/biosci/lohgock for a total of like 35k. I assume he's gonna start tree, but if I were him I'd start Pearl and karla schnikov in the last two slots, who were decent buys for their price and could surprise people by pulling in wins. Don't see much synergy happening from this team though.

4. Hungry Hungry Hippowdons: Arcticblast and shaian are strong players, Yoda is only OK but could go positive in the weak field of UU, and I think Paint and n1n1 are capable of pulling surprise wins. With the addition of DAD1 this team is looking more solid as he's around Yellow Paint levels, in that he wouldn't surprise me at all with a 2-3. Blue is a bad player but has pretty good teams and can be a valuable bench resource for some of the guys on the lineup most of whom are worse builders than him. I'm expecting roughly neutral records from shaian/Arcticblast/Yoda and negative ones from YP/DAD1/n1n1, which is their best lineup, so this team will have to overperform if they want to win, but it's a possibility.

5. Slateport City Spindas: Oh god this team is a disaster. I'm pretty sure xzern had no plan going into the draft and halfway through decided to just upbid kyle and he ended up with a mess for it. His entire team is ok but there's nobody on there who's particularly good and it's a bunch of inactive/barely active people so there will be absolutely no teamwork or synergy. Definitely the least fun team to be on in this premier league.

also UNANIMOUS FIRST PLACE BOYS SHITPOSTERS GO

Here's what I said

1. shitposters
They've got a few strong Doubles players. I think that the overall the team is slightly overrated, but they do have 3 SPL7 players with Stratos captaining as a top threat in BW. I don't think they'll have any trouble beating any of the other 4 teams I've got to rank. Very likely to be in playoffs.

2. Space Jams
Expecting SPL veteran Biosci to carry this team with a solid backup core of qsns/lohgock/ta19ing tree to nab a couple of wins most weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team in playoffs.

3. Hippowdons
n1n1 catches a lot of shit on forums but as long as he isn't bringing safety goggles magmar tier threats he should pull a solid record. Arcticblast is super good as well if he puts in the effort, if he plays DOU I expect him to pull a much higher record than if he plays BW, so we'll see where he goes. Putting Arctic in the right tier will be what makes or breaks this team. Between those 2, Yoda, and Yellow Paint, this team should pull a couple of wins. Would be surprised to see them make playoffs though.

4. Tramplers
Originally I had this team as last place, but then I realized that I had missed Nido-Rus on the roster. In all seriousness he's a top player that I expect to carry this team. Unfortunately the back up core of Memoric/TUO/n10 may not be strong enough to pull out 3-4 wins consistently, especially given that Memoric is playing the already stacked BW tier. The Tramplers are unlikely to make playoffs.

5. Spindas
The Spindas are the only team that didn't manage to pick up a single SPL7 DOU player or a seasonal winner. Nonetheless they do have a couple of picks that have the potential to impress. Haruno, Finally, Makiri, and Tsunami could all shine with some good match ups provided that they put forth some effort. This seems unlikely in most cases though and unless all four of these players come out swinging Spindas are the least likely team to make playoffs.

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Shitposters – Overall great talent. Kamikaze had the most fierce bidding war of any player during the draft but due to his SPL performance and not participating in ssnls I question if he can still hang with the top players. Kami will make a great teammate but not worth the big premium that stratos paid imo. I expect Rei will have a very good record. Stratos and Check I foresee having a 50% win rate more or less. The rest of the guys are very solid picks aside from dragonwhale who I know nothing about. To sum up this team they have the greatest likelihood to win based on past performances and the highest expectations.

Space Jams – I say this team is watered down; which really doesnt matter if qsns does not plan on letting everyone play. I expect Deo to be the MVP of this team. I see talkingtree, eleggy, lohgok and boisci all as players to be taken as serious threats. Now that I am going over these teams for a second time I think this team should move down and the tramplers up

Tramplers – Decent mix of players. n10, nido, and croven are all capable of winning at least half of their matches and can teambuild for themselves. I am going to guess that many of the people on this team are just going to end up using memoric's teams.

Ancients – I'm not as impressed as everyone else is with majorbowman; it was the most wasteful pick of the draft, followed by samvgc, followed by dawg. In general good players but way over paid for that it meant kyle had to pass on a bunch of really good players in the middle of the draft and was stuck choosing Tricking, Shaneghoul, and Derivatives at the end. Still the starting line up will be good and has potential to be a top 2 team, but my expectations for this team are much lower than the other managers.

Spindas – I actually can see all of the above teams being in the top or 2nd top spot. This team on the other hand I dont think has a shot at top4. Its just a mess

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
i love it when the post explaining the joke gets likes
Although Meloettaaa / Elise was the one who originally made the joke about Mizuhime's gender, Haruno's post with a simple explanation of the (admittedly rather plain) joke received a total of four (4) "likes". Stratos, being upset about this, decided to quote Haruno's post and complain about the state of a forum where the "likes", which in this case amount to some indicator of reputation among forum users, go to the rather trivial post which explains the already rather obvious in-joke, where Mizuhime is continuously labelled as a male pretending to be a female (a perpetuation of the "there are no girls on the internet" stereotype of sorts; further research is left to the reader, such as this suggested further reading).

Therefore, Stratos' post invokes a sense of irony as he explains Haruno's post, a simple and therefore rather obvious demonstration of the "greentext" meme (suggested further reading from the same source), while simultaneously appearing to denounce or at least deride the explaining of an obvious joke. We see his clear expression of frustration through the use of the lowercase "i" and the lack of any sort of punctuation, indicative of his exasperation at Haruno's aforementioned (and quoted) explanation of Meloettaaa's / Elise's joke; furthermore, the lack of correct punctuation or capitalization seems to denote an apparent apathy on Stratos' part, implying that he simply could not be bothered to use proper punctuation or capitalization in his reply. This almost amounts to a direct attack on Haruno and his post by demonstrating Stratos' lack of respect towards the post, thereby concretizing Stratos' attack on the very act of explaining a joke.

The sense of irony invoked by this exchange is completed if one considers the fact that Stratos' extremely ironic post itself garnered three (3) "likes", firmly contradicting the values that Stratos appears to hold to within his post. Moreover, given the rather rude and abrasive nature of his post, along with the fact that it is a "one-liner" post, generally frowned upon in most online communities, it is also interesting to consider the repercussions of allotting boosts in reputation to what might otherwise be considered a downright terrible post. Thus, to conclude, both irony and the absurd conditions under which this exchange took place work together to bring forth a humorous effect, almost slapstick in nature, as multiple aspects of this series of posts weave together nicely to form this rather compact piece of almost satirical comedy.

References:
1. There Are No Girls on the Internet. (2012). Know Your Meme. Retrieved 9 May 2016, from http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/there-are-no-girls-on-the-internet
2. Green Text Stories. (2014). Know Your Meme. Retrieved 9 May 2016, from http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/green-text-stories

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)