Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Week 3 - Buildin' - Necrozma

talkingtree

Hold my hand
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
~ Doubles Teambuilding Competiton ~

Approved by kamikaze and Level 51 | Art by Bummer | OP adapted from Memoric
Welcome to the Doubles Teambuilding Competition! This is a weekly competition which you can join at any time. Basically, what we are going to do here is see who can build the better team, hence the name. Each week, I will post a core, set, theme, or Pokemon and then you guys will post an importable of a team featuring said concept. Along with the team, you will post a short summary that may include: your teambuilding process, how the team works, replays, etc.; it's gonna look like a mini-RMT of sorts. After a few days, I will close submissions and then anyone can come and vote on the team which they think is best. The winner of the week will get some sweet bragging rights while also having their team featured for everyone to see in the teams Hall of Fame :>

Rules and Mechanics

Here's the process of how this competition will be hosted:
  1. Five (5) days of submission of teams and discussion. Post your entry on the thread, be sure to follow this format!
    Code:
    <sprites>
    [hide=Importable][/hide]
    [hide=Description][/hide]
  2. Two (2) days of voting for the winning team
Submitting Teams: Please include the following when submitting your teams. Post your enty on the thread!
  • Importable of your team in a hide tag
  • A brief description of your teambuilding process and how the team plays in another hide tag together.
  • Basically, that means you'll be using TWO hidetags in total.
It is recommended that you implement sprites (http://fulllifegamer.bplaced.net/format.php), replays, or other things to improve your chances but you must have the two in the bullet points :]

If you're using sprites, place them outside of the hide tags, not inside them!

Discussion and Changes: People are free to talk about their and other people's teams in this thread. People can make suggestions to other people's team but only to an extent; while you can suggest small things such as a nature change or move change, don't change up their team's structure or rebuild it because there's a different forum (RMT) for that. This isn't an RMT thread.

On Winning: If you win, congratulations! You'll have your name and team featured in the Hall of Fame.

On Copying Teams: Please don't. This just ruins the fun we can get out of this competition and is against the rules. You'll be DQ'd from the week if you were found copying other people's teams. If you suspect someone of doing this, PM me. Hopefully no one would do this, but take this as a warning.

On Bandwagoning / Namevoting: Please don't do this either. Don't just vote for a guy just because they have a ton of votes already or they're famous. Don't feel pressured to vote for anyone for any reason other than having the best team. If you really think a team is the best out there, vote for that team; don't let anything pressure you to do otherwise. Bandwagoning just ruins the spirit of this competition and isn't cool :[

On Self-Voting: It's not allowed. Votes for a user's own team will now be ignored. Those who built for the current round are likely to be knowledgeable on what an effective team featuring the given concept looks like, so you are encouraged to vote for whichever other team you feel most deserves to be featured.

On Suggestions: If you have any suggestions for this competition, feel free to PM me. It'll be considered, but there are ultimately no promises if it'll be implemented.

On Slashes: In play, you can only bring four moves; whatever set of moves you choose slashes is reflective of your own skill as a builder, and having slashes in a submission would be against the point. This is your own team; this isn't an analysis.

On Tiers: A week is for USUM DOU unless stated otherwise.

HALL OF FAME
SM Version
Week 3: Necrozma by ???
Week 2: Move Tutors by SMB

Kartana @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Protect

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 152 HP / 136 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Final Gambit

Landorus-Therian @ Mago Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 140 HP / 124 SpA / 244 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 28 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 96 SpA / 28 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Taunt
(Tailwind Kartana + Icy Wind Tapu Fini)

So I started with this core of tailwind kartana + offensive kyub cause they both seemed really threatening together once you get tw up, limiting the switch ins due to their coverage and offensive pressure. Victini is here because fire moves are needed on every team rn and it seemed a nice option to get tw up with kartana, eliminating one mon on the field and giving a free switch to take more advantage of tw.
The mu vs marshadow and fire types was kind of shaky at this point so landorus (and later tapu fini) fixes that. At this point I did not have a steel type since kartana doesn't really count as a steel type and I needed to improve my mu vs psyspam so mega metagross is perfect for this and it's benefited from tw too. I chose hammer arm as the coverage move cause this is what does more dmg to scizor and could help if I lose my checks to ferrothorn, tbh I feel like I don't really need either thunder or ice punch and I don't like sub metagross so yeah. Finally I didn't have a tapu and to improve my mu vs fire types and marshadow I opted for tapu fini as my last mon. On my mega metagross teams I like to have 2 ways of speed control since it's probably one of the mons that aprecciate it more so I went with icy wind tapu fini and it really was worth it.

Week 1: Stakataka by GenOne

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 11 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Hoopa-Unbound @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 192 HP / 224 Atk / 92 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Protect

Stakataka @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Trick Room
- Ally Switch

Bronzong @ Psychium Z
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Hypnosis
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
Stakataka full-Trick Room seems to have become a pretty standard and linear archetype in a short amount of time, so rather than reinventing the wheel with something crazy I figured I'd just try to optimize what the standard build looks like.

The general idea here is that it's a full-Trick Room team that leverages two offensive TR setters, one bulky/reliable TR setter and some slow sweeper mons. I posted something similar in the USUM discussion thread, but with Necrozma over Bronzong. However, new toy syndrome aside, Bronzong is the perfect fit into this build as it's a bulky and reliable Trick Room setter that can help create momentum in the early game. In most scenarios, I'll lead this team with Bronzong as my goal is to set Trick Room as early on as possible. Generally I'll go for the Z Trick Room, but if you're faced against a Tapu Fini or Koko you might find it worth saving the z move for later in the match since Bronzong has enough bulk to set TR twice in a game given the right plays. Scrafty gives you obligatory Fake Out support against non-Lele teams. For Lele teams, I'll usually lead two of the three Trick Room setters, creating a 50/50 situation where one will set Trick Room and the other can either punch a hole in the opposing team (given the right matchup) or pivot out into a partner that can take the anticipated attack. Once Trick Room is set, your goal is to switch into strong attackers like Camerupt, Stakataka and Hoopa-U while Trick Room is still up. Given the good defensive typings on Bronzong and Stakataka (as well as the generally solid special bulk on Hoopa-U) you will find plenty of situations where you have two of these three TR setters on the field as your Trick Room is about to expire, with no opposing Pokemon that can KO either. If you're in this situation, click Trick Room on both setters; the first will cancel TR and the second will reset it, thereby giving you another 4 turns of TR while bypassing the one turn where your opponent can pressure you with faster attackers. Only attempt this play, however, if your two active TR setters are safe from all hypothetical opposing attacks or if you're willing to make a hard read that's well-informed. I went with Ally Switch over Protect on Stakataka since I rarely found myself clicking Protect, and because Stakataka's good defensive typing and physical bulk can easily tank a lot of hits that aren't explicitly intended to hit it.

Last edited:

talkingtree

Hold my hand
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Time for a fresh start! The rules have been slightly adjusted to avoid the issues at the end of the previous thread, but I'm open to suggestions for more edits. With Ultra Sun and Moon fully underway, it's time to build around a brand new addition to the metagame...

Stakataka emerged from the start as the third solid Steel-type Ultra Beast in the Doubles metagame, with its solid Attack stat and incredibly low Speed providing it immensely strong Gyro Balls on every non-resistant foe. Despite an unfortunate typing that leaves it 4x weak to Ground- and Fighting-type moves, Stakataka is able to maintain effectiveness due to its monstrous Defense stat giving it the ability to take nearly every physical attack, especially when holding a resistance Berry. Access to two solid Rock-type STABs in Stone Edge and Rock Slide, Trick Room, Wide Guard, Ally Switch, and Stomping Tantrum gives Stakataka a reasonable amount of flexibility. How you use it is up to you, so get to building!

Submissions close Saturday, Dec 2 at 11:59pm EST!

Last edited:
Guess which two Pokemon have Assault Vest:

Stakataka @ Chople Berry
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Wide Guard
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide

Scrafty @ Fightinium Z
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand

Tapu Bulu @ Occa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 132 SpD
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Protect

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
EVs: 224 HP / 56 Atk / 164 Def / 52 SpA / 12 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Icy Wind

I built this team mostly out of a desire to try Lonely Stakataka, actually. Wide Guard's broken now, so fuck Protect. I decided on Scrafty early on because I've been using it and think it's a great pick for a full TR team in this meta, and the two together provide a lot of power. Cresselia and Bulu were added as defensive tools (not to say Bulu's weak!), and then Volcanion and Kyurem-B rounded out the team as bulky pivots providing special damage. This team plays like a bulky offense team that has to use Trick Room every few turns, really; pivot around while you set up your attackers.

Pigeons

formerly Yuga42

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SpD
Lonely Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Trick Room

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 SpD
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Nature's Madness

Hoopa-Unbound @ Grassy Seed
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 12 Def / 124 SpA / 64 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 96 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scrafty @ Eject Button
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Atk / 24 Def
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Head Smash
- Fake Out

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

A little similar to the first team but that's hard to avoid when using Stakataka. I decided to go the full TR route here given how powerful Staks is under it and the fact that it can perform decently as a setter itself. Tapu Bulu is a great partner for Stakataka for obvious reasons, halving Earthquake damage is extremely useful for Staks and the two have great offensive synergy to boot. Given that this team was going to be full TR I decided to add a second setter sooner rather than later, Hoopa-U is generally one of the stronger setters and gets rid of Aegislash for the first two members. I decided to try out Grassy Seed to patch up Hoopa's subpar defense a bit, which combined with intimidate support makes getting TR up much easier. Volcanion was a nice glue to check all the Steel-types in the meta as well as rain, I opted for Assault Vest to stand the best chance possible against Kingdra. The last two members I've changed a few times but I liked the utility provided by Scrafty + Amoongus best. The two mostly are there to help get TR up but Fake Out, Intimidate, Rage Powder and Spore have lots of utility in general. Tapu Lele is a bit annoying here but Staks, Bulu and Volcanion can all somewhat handle it.

grey (Stakataka) @ Chople Berry
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Protect

white (Abomasnow-Mega) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect

dark grey (Tapu Bulu) @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 SpD
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Protect

orange (Scrafty) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 SpA / 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge

red (Volcanion) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 104 SpA / 20 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Substitute
- Protect

pink (Mew) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock

I decided to go the full trick room route because that is where stakataka shines brightest, being a great setter and offensive threat. I gave it chople because the team handles grounds well and superpower+cc are move prevalent moves. Stak can't touch bulky waters and it is also nuked by ground types so i decided to add mega-abomasnow to better handle these problems and because hail is fun. Giga Drain> energy ball because giga won't proc pinch berries if you hit fini at full. Ice shard helps snipe off weakened foes outside of tr which is also nice. Bulu is basically an auto add with staka to weaken eq. It also gets rid of psychic terrain for ice shard/fake out and it provides nice residual recovery. I was using av at first but found that the burst damage of z wood hammer was much appreciated as well as the ability to protect. I added scrafty as a way to help ensure tr goes up with fake out and intimidate support is very appreciated. It also helped reduce the teams inability to touch steels at that point. Knock off and low kick also help to immobilize snorlax. Volcanion strengthened the steel matchcup, provided another offesnsive threat and without it the team has trouble switching into fire moves. For the final member I knew I needed another setter and had settled on hoopa since it is debatably the best setter in the meta. The team was also looking slightly weak to marshadow and hoopa's psychic coverage would help to offensively check it. However, I realized the team didn't have rocks and I was not going to pass up on using the best move in the game, so I settled on mew who provided amazing utility. Its spread lives orb spectral thief 100% of the time and then gives it enough special bulk take z psych deo semi-well. It can set tr, get those rocks up, as well as set up the veil which makes the bulky team very difficult to kill. Psychic is there in order to be able to pick off marshadow as cc nukes the team.
The team beats standard tailwind ho by getting up tr, has bulu, volc, and abomasnow for rain, and stakataka and mew can handle psyspam.

Last edited:

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 240 HP / 64 Def / 160 SpA / 44 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Growl
- Protect

Stakataka @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Trick Room
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 232 HP / 72 Def / 80 SpA / 124 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 140 Def / 44 SpA / 64 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hyperspace Hole
- Hyperspace Fury
- Trick Room
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 228 HP / 84 Def / 8 SpA / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Psychic Seed
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect

Stakataka really shines in TR, but Landorus-T and Marshadow rampages this meta, so I decided that Protect is def a necessity. Tapu Bulu is nice, but it felt too mainstream for TR teams. As in result, I just decided to use Tapu Lele + Hoopa-U instead. By adding Amoonguss, Hyperspace + Spore spam is just too good. Not to mention, its redirection is fire. I also heard that AV Kyube is fire, too, so I added it to the team. However, it wasn't my style; for me, Psychic Seed + Protect seemed far more valuable to the team. I still wanted a Celesteela check and a Ground-immune Pokemon, so I added Zard. Not many players realize that I have Growl on Zard; the move helps the team survive common threats as shown below.

Charizard-Mega-Y
Calculated For:

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Rock Slide vs. 240 HP / 64 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 300-356 (84 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Stakataka
Calculated For:

252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8+ Def Stakataka: 268-324 (82.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Notable Mention:
252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 8+ Def Chople Berry Stakataka: 234-276 (72 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tapu Lele
Calculated For:

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 232 HP / 72 Def Tapu Lele: 283-338 (83.4 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 232 HP / 124 SpD Tapu Lele: 288-338 (84.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Notable Mentions:
-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Iron Head vs. 232 HP / 72 Def Tapu Lele: 284-336 (83.7 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hoopa-Unbound
Calculated For:

252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 140 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 308-363 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Hoopa-Unbound: 307-361 (84.3 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
44+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Hole vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence-Mega in Psychic Terrain: 331-391 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Notable Mentions:
-1 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian U-turn vs. 252 HP / 140 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 300-356 (82.4 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Amoonguss
Calculated For:

-1 60 Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 228 HP / 84 Def Amoonguss: 356-422 (83.5 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Survives 2 Heat Waves from 252+ SpA Heatran/Volcanion

Kyurem-Black
Calculated For:

252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Kyurem-Black: 382-452 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

fuck ground types™

started with stak, figured all the teams would be some form of TR so i didnt do that, went with ally switch and wide guard instead for that nice team support, lonely for the attack boost which is the good set. av kyube is there bc it beats rain and lando and all sorts of shit that beats stak, marsh beats ferro and lax and is a great tr check and can do huge damage with marsh z. tapu fini gives me that terrain support! and does tapu fini shit idk heal pulse rules. then i have volcanion bc fuck ferrothorn and rain i guess and then zapdos for the tailwind and shit. team rules #1 na

Stakataka @ Shuca Berry
Lonely Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Wide Guard
- Ally Switch

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 56 Def / 68 SpA / 80 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Icy Wind

Marshadow @ Marshadium Z
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Heal Pulse

Volcanion @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 72 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 80 SpD / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Articblast, im sorry i ever doubted you on lonely stak, its an absolute beast. will update with team soon

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect

Stakataka @ Wiki Berry
Lonely Nature
IVs: 14 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Trick Room
- Protect

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 176 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpA / 56 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Tailwind

Landorus-Therian @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock
- Imprison
yo electrium zapdos is sick lol. evs listed let you always ohko marsh. speedy imprison lando is the sickest stak partner ever. teams is p good, i like it.

Last edited:

Necrozma @ Kasib Berry
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave
- Moonlight
- Trick Room

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Torkoal (M) @ Firium Z
Ability: Drought
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Protect

Scrafty (M) @ Assault Vest
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

Stakataka @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Trick Room
- Wide Guard

Gardevoir (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Protect

Similar to the previous teams, but instead I'm using Torkoal & Necrozma! Stak's Gyro is so strong, WG is super broken, rs for flinchhax, and chople to survive marsh's cc. Torkoal's sun patches stak's rain weakness, and nukes everything. Necrozma has both heat wave and moonlight to benefit from the sun, and Kasib lets it survive sssss. Scrafty support is so good, low kick for ttar and tran, and ice punch for lando/mence. Bulu adds a third layer of field control and softens common ground hits. Garde mostly cuz i forgot i needed a mega lol.

Red Lights

Red Lights (Stakataka) @ Weakness Policy
Lonely Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard
- Trick Room

Hurricane Love (Salamence-Mega) (M) @ Salamencite
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Tailwind
- Protect

Happy Face (Amoonguss) (F) @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 208 Def / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Supreme (Tapu Lele) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 212 HP / 112 SpA / 8 SpD / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Anywhere (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Psychic Seed
EVs: 96 HP / 112 Atk / 144 Def / 156 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Tonight (Marshadow) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect
it's gonna look like a mini-RMT of sorts
Chapter 1: Red Lights

Ever since I got into DOU, building has seemed so complicated for me, getting the hang of the meta was already quite a challenge, but building teams for a Doubles format was a whole other level of difficulty, this is probably true because of the nature of the metagame, in Singles, team structures, win conditions, and playstyles seem much clearer then in Doubles, at least for me. Still, after a couple of months, I've built some decent enough squads, but nothing really usable in a serious high-level match. Then I decided to start my build with Stakataka, not only because it is the current Pokémon on the competition, but also because it is my favourite and most viable new Pokémon that USUM gave us. I played around a bit with a Rockium Z set that I adapted from singles, then I decided to try the Chople set, but the set I ended up settling on was Weakness Policy, while it may seem like a big gimmick, I like to think of this set similarly to Diance's Weakness Policy Trick Room set. It can take a spread EQ from -1 Landorus-T, it can tank a spread Muddy Water from Tapu Fini, it can tank a -1 Superpower from Deoxys-Attack, and so on. I agree it's not the best user of Weakness Policy, but it's still a threat. But to be completely sincere I was unsure on what item to give it, Chople is nice for Marshadow's Close Combat, but it can still Spectral Thief and steal your precious beast boosts, a Z-crystal wasn't really a smart option in my eyes as it requires Stone Edge, and I really think Rock Slide is better by a landslide, Life Orb is good on Singles but I don't think it servers much purpose here, so I just slapped a Weakness Policy and called it a day, you can change to Chople though, if you want to.

Chapter 2: Hurricane Love

The next partner was Mega Salamence, I immediately thought that I could make a interesting Semi-Room team, after taking a look at the resources, specifically the Teambuilding Frameworks (thanks for the Frameworks, Frania!) I realized how great Mega Salamence was to the playstyle I was aiming for. Tailwind is also a cool addition to the team, making it unreliant on Trick Room to succeed, and therefore opening Room for Tapu Lele, Marshadow and Mega Salamence itself to sweep.

Chapter 3: Happy Face

Okay, I'll be honest, Amoonguss is probably one of the Pokémon I dislike the most, but I still have to accept the fact that it is indeed a very good Pokémon. Trick Room 'boosted' Spore is really good, and Rage Powder helps to get Trick Room up or set up with Lele. Giga Drain was prefered over Sludge Bomb for the matchup versus rain.

Chapter 4: Supreme

Up next was Tapu Lele, it is meant to be more of a Wallbreaker, Calm Mind is for sure a weird set, but I decided that Psychium Z Lele was for sure a interesting addition to the team, which provided me a lot of raw power. I didn't want to go with max Speed because I felt Tapu Lele would really appreciate the added bulk not only to set up more, but to keep supporting Amoonguss which appreciates Spore-friendly Terrain, and Hoopa-U whose Hyperspace Hole hits severely hard under Terrain.

Chapter 5: Anywhere

Hoopa-U gives me a secondary Trick Room setter and it really appreciates the Terrain from Tapu Lele, not to mention the formidable core it creates with Stakataka. I guess I could have picked something else to put in this spot, but Hoopa-U's ability to break Protect is really appreciated, and not being the sole setter helps in a situation where Stakataka gets overly pressured.

Chapter 6: Tonight

Finally, the team was looking rather slow, Marshadow felt like a natural pick thanks to it's ability to pressure Steel-types and to dissuade opposing Trick Room and set up sweepers. I also realized it deals well with most checks of Hoopa such as Scrafty, Landorus-T, and Mega Salamence due to it's access to Hidden Power [Ice]. I ended up forgoing Shadow Sneak, which despite being very helpful, is a little against the premise of a Psychic Terrain team.

Last edited:

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

Stakataka @ Weakness Policy
Lonely Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 64 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 96 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Protect

I really do prefer the Weakness Policy set, so I set out to build around it accordingly. For Stakataka to easily obtain a boost, Intimdiate support was added in Salamence. Bulu was another obvious choice to weaken earthquake. From there I added a staple of pretty much all my teams lately in Volcanion, and it's typing compliments the rest of the team quite well. Then I added a fast mode by slapping Tapu Koko and Marsh on the end of the team, and it seemed balanced out.

Mence is Tailwind to help out Bulu and Volcanion for the most part. Stakataka has protect over wide guard because it's so obvious to wide guard atm and protecting can be especially important when weakness policy boosts are obtained. Volcanion and Bulu are both standard AV sets. Koko is the z move user of the team, volt switch for momentum. Marsh is one of if not the best mon in the tier rn, nothing much to say about its standard LO set.

KyleCole

You just proved digital advertising works
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
EVs: 164 Atk / 92 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Assault Vest
Ability: Electric Surge
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Volcanion @ Poisonium Z
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Stakataka @ Chople Berry
Lonely Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Jigglypuff @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Ally Switch
- Telekinesis
- Heal Pulse
- Dazzling Gleam

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

I honestly don't think Staka is a very good Pokemon unless you're willing to cheese things up a bit, so I made a team with a solid foundation, and added just a dash of my own personal sickness.

I was determined to use jigglypuff. While it's true that Clefairy would literally do the same things (with Follow Me > Ally Switch) there is something to be said for using a mon that it is actually impossible to determine what it's moveset might be based on preview.

There are some interesting sets here, namely Z Sludge Bomb Volcanion, which will always KO kingdra if you follow up with Dazzling Gleam from jiggly (this is the only reason I had for switching from Icy Wind). AV koko is another, even though it's not unheard of, and stomping Staka. I prefer having the ground coverage to rock slide or stone miss. There's no specific match up I had in mind, I just think that the ground coverage is better than dual stab, and I really want protect on this guy. I find there are too many games where Staka will die without doing anything if I don't have protect to maneuver him.

I played a few games with this so check out the replays. There's nothing spectacular in terms of my opponent's teams, but you can get a feel for how things play and the satisfaction of using Jiggly. There's a spectacular feeling you get when your opponent looks at your team thinking "free win from this idiot" and you crush them, with heavy Jiggly involvement.

Side note: If you don't want to vote for this team that's cool. I wouldn't. But please try and vote for a team that you think the submitter actually used. That's always bugged me.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-666279704 vs mono ice lol but you get to see me use telekinesis really well here
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-666449705 staka sweep, and a bit of jiggly working with other mons besides staky
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-666284964 these two are more fun, I'll take this this team a little farther up the ladder maybe, just enjoy : )
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-666282161

Last edited:
Standard stuff but this team delivers results. It's basically the team I posted to the USUM discussion, minus the new toy syndrome.

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 11 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Hoopa-Unbound @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 192 HP / 224 Atk / 92 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Protect

Stakataka @ Shuca Berry
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Trick Room
- Ally Switch

Bronzong @ Psychium Z
Ability: Heatproof
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Hypnosis
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
Stakataka full-Trick Room seems to have become a pretty standard and linear archetype in a short amount of time, so rather than reinventing the wheel with something crazy I figured I'd just try to optimize what the standard build looks like.

The general idea here is that it's a full-Trick Room team that leverages two offensive TR setters, one bulky/reliable TR setter and some slow sweeper mons. I posted something similar in the USUM discussion thread, but with Necrozma over Bronzong. However, new toy syndrome aside, Bronzong is the perfect fit into this build as it's a bulky and reliable Trick Room setter that can help create momentum in the early game. In most scenarios, I'll lead this team with Bronzong as my goal is to set Trick Room as early on as possible. Generally I'll go for the Z Trick Room, but if you're faced against a Tapu Fini or Koko you might find it worth saving the z move for later in the match since Bronzong has enough bulk to set TR twice in a game given the right plays. Scrafty gives you obligatory Fake Out support against non-Lele teams. For Lele teams, I'll usually lead two of the three Trick Room setters, creating a 50/50 situation where one will set Trick Room and the other can either punch a hole in the opposing team (given the right matchup) or pivot out into a partner that can take the anticipated attack. Once Trick Room is set, your goal is to switch into strong attackers like Camerupt, Stakataka and Hoopa-U while Trick Room is still up. Given the good defensive typings on Bronzong and Stakataka (as well as the generally solid special bulk on Hoopa-U) you will find plenty of situations where you have two of these three TR setters on the field as your Trick Room is about to expire, with no opposing Pokemon that can KO either. If you're in this situation, click Trick Room on both setters; the first will cancel TR and the second will reset it, thereby giving you another 4 turns of TR while bypassing the one turn where your opponent can pressure you with faster attackers. Only attempt this play, however, if your two active TR setters are safe from all hypothetical opposing attacks or if you're willing to make a hard read that's well-informed. I went with Ally Switch over Protect on Stakataka since I rarely found myself clicking Protect, and because Stakataka's good defensive typing and physical bulk can easily tank a lot of hits that aren't explicitly intended to hit it.

talkingtree

Hold my hand
I fell asleep so this is a few hours late, but it's time to vote! Please respond with the name of the user you feel most deserves to win this round. The rules in the OP have been updated to clarify that voting for yourself is NOT ALLOWED, so if you try to do so I will ignore your vote.

Arcticblast
Pigeons
laptops
Test Bot #
n10sit
megacyber
D-Striker
Exploudit
Mint16
KyleCole
GenOne

Voting closes Tuesday, December 5th at noon EST!

talkingtree

Hold my hand
Congratulations to GenOne for winning this week! His team and description will be our first entry into the Hall of Fame in the OP. As for this week, we're going to try something different...

and we'll be focusing on USUM Move Tutors! The addition of the new games didn't only bring new Pokemon but also changed existing metagame threats, with Stomping Tantrum Mega Metagross, Icy Wind Tapu Fini, Knock Off Kartana, coverage for Necrozma, Electroweb Tapu Koko, and many more updates being made. This week, your teams should highlight at least TWO new moves learned from move tutors. These extra coverage moves and support options tend to be eschewed in favor of tried and true sets, so now's your opportunity to try something new! If you want some inspiration or information for this week, check out the OP of the USUM Discussion Thread here.

Deadline for submissions is Saturday, December 9th at 11:59pm EST!