Doubles Teambuilding Workshop Sessions - (SEE POST 139)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just imported this team and realized something unusual. Is there a reason why Aegislash lacks King's Shield @.@

Also I replaced Future Sight for Psychic for the reasons Electrolyte mentioned :s

PS: Kangaskhan is a pretty big issue for this team... I am gonna go Timid on Gardevoir and try out some of its support pool options (the most promising one being Destiny Bond)

Last edited:

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Moved here
Our next project in the doubles room is going to be another teambuilding session. This would be like 2 hours of people brainstorming together around a pre-determined 2-mon core. Here's what Electrolyte headed around a month ago: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...rkshop-sessions-1st-session-feedback.3502995/
What we need is a survey of how many people are interested and also what times people like. Currently I estimate this session will have 12-20 people and will be hosted around 7-9 gmt -6. Give input regarding what times you guys would like and what single pokemon.
I guess just post your preferred time and pokemon so that we can get a general consensus of when to do this. Do about the same thing as in electro's thread, except a single mon and not a core. We are thinking about doing this in around a week.

instructions from Electrolyte:
In these sessions, we will gather as a group and collectively create a team around a pre-determined, well-defined concept or idea. (In a CCAT fashion, basically.) Once that team is made, I (or one of the other hosts) will make a post in this thread summarizing the discussion, providing an importable for the created team, and adding explanations for the chosen aspects of the team. From then, this thread will be open for discussion on how the team works, ways to improve it, ways to use it, and matches it has undergone in the ladder, etc.

All are free to join in! Remember to have fun!

Coming Up With Team Starting Points
Usually, we will update this thread about a week or so in advance so that the community has time to choose a specific starting point to build the team around. There will be time given to submit ideas and then time to submit votes.

Idea Submission tips:
~Support your idea with reasoning! Keep in mind that the reason for building a team around an idea is just as important as what the idea is.
~Remember that the point of these workshops is for the community to grow and gain experience in building solid competitive teams, so NO GIMMICKS. (sorry Nollan ;])
~Keep your starting points simple yet concise, so that there are many different paths to explore. However, avoid being too vague (like don't just say "offense!"). The point is to start off with an idea or a pokemon to base the team around. (Ex: *This type of weather* with *insert Pokemon here.* or Team made around *this famous pokemon*.)

Submitted ideas:
Scizor
Posting a cool mon here:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 100 Spd / 252 Atk / 156 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Standard Mega Swords Dance attacker. Scizor here is a fair start in building our team, as it provides us with a clear win condition. Speed Control isn't a huge issue for it either, as its main attack, Bullet Punch, has priority. Its support basically sums up to something that can break Fire-types such as Heatran and Charizard-Y for ease of sweeping, an a redirector. This Scizor opens up quite a few avenues for teambuilding: it can do well in a Rain team as its weakness to Fire is reduced while beating the archetype's usual threats in Rotom-W, Kyurem-B, and Amoonguss, or a Goodstuffs team as it's easily splashable and only really requires Follow Me / Rage Powder support. To a certain extent, it can also fit in a Sun team as it can beat Tyranitar; the raised Fire weakness isn't really mattering as it dies to any Fire-attack regardless (and HP Fire is hella rare). They have one thing in common though: Offense.

The set is sweet standard. Bullet Punch is the move that's going to e used most of the time as it is priority that has decent power. Bug Bite is to hit slower Pokemon and / or Pokemon that resist Bullet Punch such as Rotom-W and Bisharp. Swords Dance is to boost power and to help it power through to sweep. We all know what Protect does, yada yada. Its ability lets switch in on Low Kick without taking more damage than it should if ever; it doesn't matter much as its ability changes to Technician after Mega Evolving. The EVs let it outspeed Rotom-W that creep pokemon that creep min speed Rotom-W then OHKO with a +2 Bug Bite.

Also, Fridays 10PM EST is a cool time.

Gyarados
Suggesting a cool mon here.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 136 Spd / 252 Atk / 120 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Protect
Mega Gyarados is a good pokemon to start teambuilding around, since most of the times it can be a win condition, with DD, his high Atk becomes higher, and he also becomes faster to kill more things, but keep in mind that at +1 Spe he wont be outspeeding much with 348 Spe. To top it off, he has intimidate before he mega evolves, that means that you dont technically need to mega evolve as soon as you come in, Gyarados is still very powerful without the mega, and you can grab maybe a kill or two before mega evolving, to keep the intimidate.
As for teambuilding it's pretty easy, anything that can keep Electric and Grass types away from him is a big help, because those are his biggest threats, specially Shaymin-S and Thundurus-I. He can fit pretty well in the standard Bulky Offense, since he needs little support, and is fairly bulky. He also fits well in rain, since the extra power that Waterfall gets from rain comes in handy so many times.

Char-x

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

This is an interesting change to Charizard. Most would be expecting Zard Y; however, Zard X is just as good in the set up sweeper department. It's often one of the most successful Pokemon in a battle and can do loads of work if used correctly. Dragon Dance is one great move as it can boost Zard X's Attack and Speed, making it one formidable sweeper. After a Dragon Dance, the EVs allow it to outspeed Adamant Scarf Landorus-T and OHKO it with Flare Blitz at +0 87.5% of the time. A could be counter would get wrecked by this move as the Attack and Speed drop allows Zard X to do what it needs to do. Flare Blitz is the strongest move Zard X has to offer. It hits extremely hard with Tough Claws and has good neutral coverage. Dragon Claw complements this coverage with Flare Blitz and is only resisted by Heatran, Azumarill, Carbink, and....yeah that's it. To anyone who dares to double target this beast, Protect is to play around with them and possibly get rid of them with your teammate. It also has a sweet defensive typing that leaves it weak to only Dragon (Zard X wrecks these after a DD), Rock (not that common), and Ground (Flare Blitz hits most of them). Zard X offers a lot of offensive power to your team and is extremely easy to support. Follow Me support and synergy is all that you really need. Zard X is extremely underrated and can be fun to build a team with. It's really easy to use and looks cool :). So try it out some day over Zard Y, and Zard X will not disappoint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cult Master (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: NaN Spd
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Protect
- Ice Shard

I have yet to see a blizzspam team from any teambuilding projects, or from any RMTs, which is a shame because it has so much potential. Hopefully we will see one with this standard Mega Abomasnow set.
Wood Hammer clean OHKOs Keldeo and 252/24 Def Rotom Wash without any investment into attack, so Max HP and Max SpAtk seemed perfect. Mega Abom survives a Stone Edge from Landorus T and Garchomp and OHKOs both. Ice Shard is a 2HKO on Shaymin-Sky even if it runs Yache Berry, so you don't have to worry about Air Slash flinching (you take 57-68% from it). 252/252 spreads are lame af but honestly abomasnow has all of the special attack and attack it needs to get it's jobs done without a complex spread.
I mostly chose Abomasnow because while the teambuilding project should be a team that's easy to use, I think we're all a little tired of Char Y/Venu/Rotom or Kanga/Landorus-T/Bisharp on every single team so I wanted to shake things up, and a Blizzspam Abomasnow definitely does both! I've given it min speed so that it can function, but it would be really great if the team didn't end up being a trick room team..

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 132 Spd / 252 SAtk / 124 HP
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Protect
The hero we do not deserve. Ampharos provides us with a unique typing coupled with a fuckton of Special Attack to start building around. It's typically associated with Trick Room but having played around with it myself, I firmly believe that non-TR options should be explored. So vote for Ampharos and you'll be shocked by its brilliance.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Changed the title for y'all

In the mood for Mega Mons, where the fuck is this thing

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Does this even need an explanation? Shadow Tag is extremely useful for controlling the tide of the battle, and if you have something that carries not only that but also attack control, massive offensive pressure, and a crucial set of immunities / resistances all in one package, it's only sane that you play around with it. Mega Gengar might not be the most standard Pokemon out there right now, but it's something I think everyone needs to know not only how to build around but also how to use and how to beat. Putting it up as the spotlight in this project would be perfect for that.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
fuck Mega Evolutions, let's use a different kind of Mega

MEGABUS

MEGABUS (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect

Azumarill is a good Pokemon in its own right. Water / Fairy is a great typing both offensively and defensively, and its above average bulk lets it perfectly abuse Huge Power to really lay down the hurt. Belly Drum is just insane. Like "OHKO things in Sun with Aqua Jet" insane. There aren't a whole lot of things that can stop it (it blasts through half of its normal answers) and it has the bulk to take a stray hit should it hit a Protect or miss a KO. The EVs speed creep Tyranitar and give MEGABUS an even HP value, meaning it will always activate Sitrus Berry after Belly Drum.

finally

Closing nominations in 24 hours. Planning for around 7 pm est unless a lot of people hate/can't make that time. Feel free to still suggest another time. A date will be finalized soon. Also feel free to offer up dates that you guys want.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Fullbuster (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Rock Slide / Rock Smash / Iron Head

Ever since Arcticblast's SPL game vs Audiosurfer, Sub Kyurem-B has been cemented as its number one set. However, I believe its CB set is quite under-appreciated and should see a lot more usage. Nothing provides immediate power quite like Band Cube. It hits like a Mega Pokemon, without using up a mega slot! Even after an Intimidate drop, it's hitting like shitton of bricks. Unlike certain heavy hitters, Kyurem-B requires very little prediction, since its STAB options are usually spammable.

When building a team around a relatively slow choiced mon, you want plenty of defensive pivots to switch Kyurem-B in and out. Follow Me, Helping Hand, Tailwind/T-Wave, and Safeguard are all non-mandatory great support options for a CB Kyurem-B team. A band Kyurem-B pairs nicely with a Substitute user, as well, since it forces the opponent to play defensively (aka free turns to set-up). This team should obviously pack something to eliminate Dragon resists like Steel- and Fairy-types.

The last slot is honestly filler. I listed the 3 moves that would probably see the most use, but feel free to try some other moves like Ice Beam, Sleep Talk, etc, depending on the team's needs.

finally

ok voting time!
mega Scizor
Posting a cool mon here:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 100 Spd / 252 Atk / 156 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Standard Mega Swords Dance attacker. Scizor here is a fair start in building our team, as it provides us with a clear win condition. Speed Control isn't a huge issue for it either, as its main attack, Bullet Punch, has priority. Its support basically sums up to something that can break Fire-types such as Heatran and Charizard-Y for ease of sweeping, an a redirector. This Scizor opens up quite a few avenues for teambuilding: it can do well in a Rain team as its weakness to Fire is reduced while beating the archetype's usual threats in Rotom-W, Kyurem-B, and Amoonguss, or a Goodstuffs team as it's easily splashable and only really requires Follow Me / Rage Powder support. To a certain extent, it can also fit in a Sun team as it can beat Tyranitar; the raised Fire weakness isn't really mattering as it dies to any Fire-attack regardless (and HP Fire is hella rare). They have one thing in common though: Offense.

The set is sweet standard. Bullet Punch is the move that's going to e used most of the time as it is priority that has decent power. Bug Bite is to hit slower Pokemon and / or Pokemon that resist Bullet Punch such as Rotom-W and Bisharp. Swords Dance is to boost power and to help it power through to sweep. We all know what Protect does, yada yada. Its ability lets switch in on Low Kick without taking more damage than it should if ever; it doesn't matter much as its ability changes to Technician after Mega Evolving. The EVs let it outspeed Rotom-W that creep pokemon that creep min speed Rotom-W then OHKO with a +2 Bug Bite.

Also, Fridays 10PM EST is a cool time.

mega Gyarados
Suggesting a cool mon here.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 136 Spd / 252 Atk / 120 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Protect
Mega Gyarados is a good pokemon to start teambuilding around, since most of the times it can be a win condition, with DD, his high Atk becomes higher, and he also becomes faster to kill more things, but keep in mind that at +1 Spe he wont be outspeeding much with 348 Spe. To top it off, he has intimidate before he mega evolves, that means that you dont technically need to mega evolve as soon as you come in, Gyarados is still very powerful without the mega, and you can grab maybe a kill or two before mega evolving, to keep the intimidate.
As for teambuilding it's pretty easy, anything that can keep Electric and Grass types away from him is a big help, because those are his biggest threats, specially Shaymin-S and Thundurus-I. He can fit pretty well in the standard Bulky Offense, since he needs little support, and is fairly bulky. He also fits well in rain, since the extra power that Waterfall gets from rain comes in handy so many times.

Char-x

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

This is an interesting change to Charizard. Most would be expecting Zard Y; however, Zard X is just as good in the set up sweeper department. It's often one of the most successful Pokemon in a battle and can do loads of work if used correctly. Dragon Dance is one great move as it can boost Zard X's Attack and Speed, making it one formidable sweeper. After a Dragon Dance, the EVs allow it to outspeed Adamant Scarf Landorus-T and OHKO it with Flare Blitz at +0 87.5% of the time. A could be counter would get wrecked by this move as the Attack and Speed drop allows Zard X to do what it needs to do. Flare Blitz is the strongest move Zard X has to offer. It hits extremely hard with Tough Claws and has good neutral coverage. Dragon Claw complements this coverage with Flare Blitz and is only resisted by Heatran, Azumarill, Carbink, and....yeah that's it. To anyone who dares to double target this beast, Protect is to play around with them and possibly get rid of them with your teammate. It also has a sweet defensive typing that leaves it weak to only Dragon (Zard X wrecks these after a DD), Rock (not that common), and Ground (Flare Blitz hits most of them). Zard X offers a lot of offensive power to your team and is extremely easy to support. Follow Me support and synergy is all that you really need. Zard X is extremely underrated and can be fun to build a team with. It's really easy to use and looks cool :). So try it out some day over Zard Y, and Zard X will not disappoint.

mega abomasnow
Cult Master (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: NaN Spd
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Protect
- Ice Shard

I have yet to see a blizzspam team from any teambuilding projects, or from any RMTs, which is a shame because it has so much potential. Hopefully we will see one with this standard Mega Abomasnow set.
Wood Hammer clean OHKOs Keldeo and 252/24 Def Rotom Wash without any investment into attack, so Max HP and Max SpAtk seemed perfect. Mega Abom survives a Stone Edge from Landorus T and Garchomp and OHKOs both. Ice Shard is a 2HKO on Shaymin-Sky even if it runs Yache Berry, so you don't have to worry about Air Slash flinching (you take 57-68% from it). 252/252 spreads are lame af but honestly abomasnow has all of the special attack and attack it needs to get it's jobs done without a complex spread.
I mostly chose Abomasnow because while the teambuilding project should be a team that's easy to use, I think we're all a little tired of Char Y/Venu/Rotom or Kanga/Landorus-T/Bisharp on every single team so I wanted to shake things up, and a Blizzspam Abomasnow definitely does both! I've given it min speed so that it can function, but it would be really great if the team didn't end up being a trick room team..

mega ampharos
Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 132 Spd / 252 SAtk / 124 HP
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Protect
The hero we do not deserve. Ampharos provides us with a unique typing coupled with a fuckton of Special Attack to start building around. It's typically associated with Trick Room but having played around with it myself, I firmly believe that non-TR options should be explored. So vote for Ampharos and you'll be shocked by its brilliance.

mega gengar
In the mood for Mega Mons, where the fuck is this thing

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Does this even need an explanation? Shadow Tag is extremely useful for controlling the tide of the battle, and if you have something that carries not only that but also attack control, massive offensive pressure, and a crucial set of immunities / resistances all in one package, it's only sane that you play around with it. Mega Gengar might not be the most standard Pokemon out there right now, but it's something I think everyone needs to know not only how to build around but also how to use and how to beat. Putting it up as the spotlight in this project would be perfect for that.

megabus
MEGABUS

MEGABUS (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect

Azumarill is a good Pokemon in its own right. Water / Fairy is a great typing both offensively and defensively, and its above average bulk lets it perfectly abuse Huge Power to really lay down the hurt. Belly Drum is just insane. Like "OHKO things in Sun with Aqua Jet" insane. There aren't a whole lot of things that can stop it (it blasts through half of its normal answers) and it has the bulk to take a stray hit should it hit a Protect or miss a KO. The EVs speed creep Tyranitar and give MEGABUS an even HP value, meaning it will always activate Sitrus Berry after Belly Drum.

cube
Fullbuster (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Rock Slide / Rock Smash / Iron Head

Ever since Arcticblast's SPL game vs Audiosurfer, Sub Kyurem-B has been cemented as its number one set. However, I believe its CB set is quite under-appreciated and should see a lot more usage. Nothing provides immediate power quite like Band Cube. It hits like a Mega Pokemon, without using up a mega slot! Even after an Intimidate drop, it's hitting like shitton of bricks. Unlike certain heavy hitters, Kyurem-B requires very little prediction, since its STAB options are usually spammable.

When building a team around a relatively slow choiced mon, you want plenty of defensive pivots to switch Kyurem-B in and out. Follow Me, Helping Hand, Tailwind/T-Wave, and Safeguard are all non-mandatory great support options for a CB Kyurem-B team. A band Kyurem-B pairs nicely with a Substitute user, as well, since it forces the opponent to play defensively (aka free turns to set-up). This team should obviously pack something to eliminate Dragon resists like Steel- and Fairy-types.

The last slot is honestly filler. I listed the 3 moves that would probably see the most use, but feel free to try some other moves like Ice Beam, Sleep Talk, etc, depending on the team's needs.

if i forget about this, someone pls remind me

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Let's go Megabus.

I've never managed to really make it work so I wanna see discussion on how to best support it.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't want to be the guy who votes for his own submission (everyone please vote MEGABUS) so I'll vote for Kyurem-B. I really don't want us to start our build around a Mega Evolution.

Pocket

Mega Gengar

This mega is criminally underused (okay maybe not so much now)... arguably the best Mega around atm. Shadow Tag paired with Gengar's godly offensive stats is 2 stronk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)