Doubles Teamlock Minitour WON BY HARD!

early thoughts because OP says to discuss o_o

[20:10:54] qwerts: tbh the only thing
[20:11:03] qwerts: that teamlock does
[20:11:10] qwerts: is give the losers a great excuse

Teamlock works well in VGC because you can adjust your mons much more effectively than in 6v6. However, in smogon doubles, it reaaaaaaaally sucks because you don't have the option to drop mons that were dead weight in the matchup. You're stuck with the same 6 and contrary to what some people have said earlier, matchup becomes much much more important in the set. Since all 6 mons are revealed g1 and there's not an item clause, scouting for information becomes irrelevant after game 1. The most important aspects of teamlock are lost in the smogon format, so based on the games i've spectated/games i've played, i don't think this is the direction doubles should go for future official tournaments. Opinion may but is unlikely to change so i just wanted to post this now.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
lost game 3

of fucking course he brought qd volcarona vs the special, the fact that i even took him to a game 3 is impressive on my end. i think im going to change tran's rock move to edge now.

or maybe change tran to a talon and hydrei back to rotom-w

i dont think there is a significant enough variation in ways you can play out a particularly bad matchup that teamlock allows the person with the bad matchup to win the set. of course, my team was just flawed in this case, but i don't support teamlock because it doesnt do in practice what it does in theory

Won 2-1 against Stratos despite him having possibly the worst match-up possible for his team, just goes to show how much I still need to improve. :L

Replays of G1 and G3 if anyone wants them:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-221426041
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-221669682

And yeah, as qsns said, using the same 6 mons in all three matches over dropping dead weight (in VGC) makes the games heavily match-up based, to the point where I can win against Stratos without too much hax. >_>

Agreeing with the sentiments against teamlock.
And since everyone seems to agree on that, we could use the rest of the tour to see how it would be if we are able to change the sets on our 6 teammembers? within the 3 matches.
Anyone interested in that? Might give some crazy counter teaming sets that are not viable on the ladder otherwise, but might also show some hidden gems, who knows...

Agreeing with the sentiments against teamlock.
And since everyone seems to agree on that, we could use the rest of the tour to see how it would be if we are able to change the sets on our 6 teammembers? within the 3 matches.
Anyone interested in that? Might give some crazy counter teaming sets that are not viable on the ladder otherwise, but might also show some hidden gems, who knows...
That defeats the purpose of teamlock

That defeats the purpose of teamlock
That is true.
I would like to do more research on possible formats now that the true teamlock format does not seem to get any majority for another tournament.

I´m thinking about alternative formats that might work in Doubles, because the teamlock we know from VGC does not translate into 6 vs. 6 teamlock. The choices you have in the 4 out of 6 format is what makes it work in my opinion.
Maybe the lock aspect might work better for 6 vs. 6 doubles if we introduce some different choice to be made in between games.
Maybe 6 out of 9 might also be a possibility to achieve something similar and can easily be done in PS as far as I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)