1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Dovakiin's Nightmare {BW OU}

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Dinkleberg the Heroic, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Dinkleberg the Heroic

Dinkleberg the Heroic

Hello Smogon! Today I'm presenting the team that came to mind when me and my little brother argued over which type was the best, and I decided to convince him that I could build a team around Dragon-Types and make it do work. The team is based around removing any checks against my two sweeping Dragon-Types. This is a huge change to my usual playstyle of Hazard Phazing until my sweeper (usually Cloyster) decides to mop up the horribly weakened and poisoned team my 3 phazers and spinblockers left in front of him. However, I was getting sick of games taking 50+ turns, and thought I should just use the "Best Type" to the best of my ability. Explanations for pokes and movesets await you if you wish to keep reading!

Magnezone Set-up Trapper
    Air Balloon/ Magnet Pull/ Timid
    EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Hidden Power Fire
    ~ Charge Beam
    •A huge staple to my team, Magnezone is my method of disposing of the steel types that hinder the wrath of my dragons. I'll switch in on the almost-mandatory steel type every team in OU, and either set up on it with charge beam, or quickly dispatch of it. A great counter to Ferrothorn, Forretress and Scizor, I keep HP fire for the super effective damage to the steel types I want gone(often 4x effective too), charge beam if I wish to set up, Thunderbolt for customary STAB, and Substitute for times when I can attempt a sweep knowing I took out their last steel type, I never risk Magnezone until his job is done. EV spread self explanatory, max Special Attack, with a little extra in HP, rest in Speed.

Calm Mind Latias
    Leftovers / Timid / Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Calm Mind
    ~ Recover
    ~ Dragon Pulse
    ~ Psyshock
    • Meet sweeper #1. Calm Mind Latias is the special half of my sweeping duo, and is put out to eliminate teams with the survivors being primarily physically defensive. Latias can start setting up the second a steel type is out of the picture, and if Tyranitar's on the enemy team, once he's been disposed of. Because I can rely on Magnezone to dispatch pesky Steel Types, I decided to forgo the weaker coverage option of HP Fire, and take the stronger STAB Psyshock, which also takes care of the Chansey+Blissey issue. On both sweepers, I made sure to have a reliable source of recovery, hence the Recover, alongside Calm Mind's special defense boosts making Latias unbelievably bulky as well, letting her set up and annihilate easily.

Salamence Dragon Dance
    Lum Berry / Adamant / Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Outrage
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Roost
    • Oh boy, Salamence. High speed, access to Roost and Dragon Dance, 2 100+ BP moves with near-perfect coverage, with Moxie adding to the deadly combination. Salamence is offensive to the extreme, but I added some factors to lower the risk of sweeping with him. Because Magnezone is used to take care of the steel types Earthquake doesn't kill,(Bronzong, Ferrothorn, Forretress), I can opt to take Roost instead of a third coverage move, adding far more time to his sweeping potential. The icing on the cake is the Lum Berry to take away the Outrage confusion or save him from being statused into oblivion. All in all, this is a generic sweeping Salamence set, complimented well by my team composition.

Stealth Rock Mamoswine
    Focus Sash / Thick Fat / Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    ~ Ice Shard
    ~ Endeavor
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stealth Rock
    • Mamoswine is a secondary dragon check, mainly for Choice Scarf Garchomp, but he's also my lead with Stealth Rock, and the ability to use his Focus Sash in conjunction with Endeavor and Ice Shard+his immunity to damaging weather,(Hail and Sandstorm), to remove a poke from the game and potentially taking away their chance to put up Stealth Rocks. Mamoswine's role is decided in Team Preview, if he wants to eliminate their lead, or if there's a dragon-type on the enemy team that is very likely to be scarfed(Hydreigon, Garchomp, sometimes Haxorus), Mamoswine will be reserved for brutal priority Ice Shards to the face.

Safety Net Breloom
    Toxic Orb / Poison Heal / Adamant
    EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
    ~ Spore
    ~ Mach Punch
    ~ Drain Punch
    ~ Seed Bomb
    • Seeing as my team is actually quite weak to Rock, I needed a cushion for that. Tyranitar especially can check my Latias, Mamoswine, and Salamence. Giving a pokemon the power to take on half my team is just not okay. So I brought in Breloom as the supreme "Fuck you" to Tyranitar and other Rock Types, with Breloom's 4x resistance, access to super effective priority, immunity to status, and very high healing with Poison Heal as well as Drain Punch. Seed Bomb is for secondary STAB against bothersome Ground and Water types, but truly, the fear of Tyranitar is what earned Breloom his spot on the team.

Wish Support Blissey
    Leftovers / Natural Cure / Calm
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
    ~ Wish
    ~ Protect
    ~ Seismic Toss
    ~ Thunder Wave

Blissey is pretty much Mamoswine's last hope of survival after it pulls off a proper Endeavor and removes the Stealth Rock user before the rocks are used, and to breathe life into it's teammates, as every member on this team serves a very specific role and the chain can break with one link removed depending on the situation. So why not give them a second chance, in the way of wishing them 300+ health! Blissey also serves to spread paralysis to slow down teams and make the sweeper's jobs easier.

So now you see how I build a team to set up my vital sources of damage for great success, how I dispatch of counters, and how I insure my team from being ruined by a single surprise kill that ruins the whole strategy. What do you think Smogon?
  2. tehy

tehy

You've got a blissey, but not enough defensive pokemon to make up for all the momentum it cedes, as well as one revenge killer, non-LO mamoswine. You should really just swap it out for a DDnite and rely on latias for all of your special walling needs-you even have a poison heal breloom for all of your status-absorption needs. Speaking of that, if you really want a rock resist, why not try scarfrakion instead? That way, you can have an extra source of revenge-killing, should the need arise, which it might. Another interesting idea would be to run SDcario with LO and extremespeed/bullet punch, or both. That gives you the ability to sponge rock-type attacks, revenge-kill stuff without being choice-locked, and still have a nice sweeper up your sleeve. And have an extra dragon resist.

If you want to run subcharge magnezone, fine, but he needs leftovers and he needs HP ice over HP fire, or else he's much, much less threatening. Thunderbolt deals with most of your problems in any case-scizor basically must be locked into bullet punch/pursuit and still takes a heavy amount, forretress does as well and isn't threatening, skarmory dies, jirachi takes around the same but with a 10% para chance, and sub charge zone>ferrothorn. Meanwhile, HP ice lets you get another kill after you boost, and gives you a much better dragon-type check.

I actually think roost on salamence is a good idea, assuming you're confident about the steel-trapping. Shed shell skarmory tears you a new one, though, and since it's got lum berry, you might want to reconsider that.

Consider just running LO mamoswine with ice shard/icicle crash/earthquake/stealth rock. The focus sash set still totally works, though.

Also consider subCM latias and reflect latias. I'm not really a big fan of psyshock on latias, it doesn't really break other Cmers or other pokemon much better than it could otherwise. The big one is keldeo, but then again subCM latias demolishes a lot of stall teams, which could be problematic for you. It's still totally viable if you don't want keldeo to beat you, though, but keep in mind the ability to hit physically with a special move isn't that important to latias anyhow.
  3. Dinkleberg the Heroic

Dinkleberg the Heroic

I wanted the Ice Type Priority, and I only have Blissey for Wish, the purpose of my team is to have a pokemon for anything that stops my Dragons, and offensively kill them. Defensive pokemon really aren't needed for the strategy I was using. Maybe make Breloom a Bulk Up varient and have a hyper-offense comp where every poke can sweep on it's own, and have my lead be a dual-screener?
  4. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Cool team dude, Dragmag is awesome :D

First off Blissey really doesn't fit on your team, your team is highly offensive and relies heavily on momentum and force to break apart rival squads. Blissey sucks up all that momentum and does nothing but sit there and sponge hits. The slot could be used much more effectively with another offensive Pokemon. The biggest threats I see to this team are Tornadus-T and set up sweepers in general. Because of this, I recommend replacing Blissey with Choice Scarf Jirachi. The set I recommend is:

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Iron Head
    - U-turn
    - Ice Punch
    - Fire Punch

Jirachi provides an excellent check to Tornadus-T, probably the largest threat to your team. Before Tornadus-T could spam Hurricanes and whittle your team down as your one Flying-type resist was weak to the Fighting-type coverage Tornadus-T often carries. Jirachi can take those Hurricanes and threaten to revenge, or create momentum by U-Turning on the switch. Jirachi also acts as a fantastic catch-all revenge killer for many dangerous OU sweepers. It also gives you another check to a Choice Scarfed Garchomp locked into Outrage.

Another change I want to suggest is replacing Roost on Salamence for Flamethrower. One of the biggest advantages Salamence has going for it at the moment is the fact that Choice Scarf Genesect cannot revenge it at +1. But it loses that advantage if it can't guarantee it can OHKO the Genesect trying to Ice Beam, which it won't unless its +2. Flamethrower gives Salamence a lot more options as it doesn't have to rely on Magnezone trapped all the Steels to sweep. It also allows it to beat Breloom without locking itself into Outrage which is huge, and Breloom is some of the best DD Salamence bait around right now. Also Salamence really isn't going to get many turns to Roost, nor will it be that affective, considering how offensive our metagame is at the moment.

My final suggestion is to run a more common moveset on Breloom, I suggest Spore / Substitute / Focus Punch / Seed Bomb. Mach Punch really just doesn't pack enough punch without the Technician boost and nothing beats smashing 'mons with Focus Punch.

Good Luck!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)