DP Articuno

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The Articuno I've inserted into my Rain team. I've always said Rain was the most dangerous strategy in UU, and Articuno, with its high special defense and access to U-turn, helps me set it up and switch nearly every time.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/articuno

[SET]
name: Rain Dance Support
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Roost
move 3: Rain Dance
move 4: U-turn
item: Damp Rock
nature: Calm
evs: 240 HP / 92 Def / 176 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set's purpose is to take advantage of Articuno's high special defense and "pass" with U-turn an eight turn Rain Dance to a team member. It is meant to come in on common UU threats like Steelix (generally don't carry Stone Edge), Claydol, Clefable (non boosted Thunderbolts and Flamethrowers will barely dent Articuno) and Leafeon, use Rain Dance and "scout" with U-turn to switch the proper recipient in.</p>

<p>Articuno's Ground immunity and high Special Defense naturally lend it to be an effective passer, so the potential of U-turn should be not underestimated. While Articuno will generally look to Rain Dance first, its ability to give the user the upper hand in battle pacing with U-turn is a huge advantage. Roost also plays a significant role in "psuedo-passing," as it allows Articuno to heal off crippling Stealth Rock and general battle residual damage. Ice Beam is the attacking move of choice simply because it is STAB and because Grass Pokemon are common in UU, making it an effective offensive tool to use against a potential weakness of a Water Pokemon heavy team.</p>

<p>Damp Rock is the item of choice because it boosts Rain Dance to eight turns, a very useful characteristic when attempting to UU sweep with Rain. Leftovers can be considered if Articuno's survivability takes precedence over that goal, however. The HP EVs reach 381 and do not max out HP or reach the "magic" Leftovers number of 384 in order to allow Articuno to switch into Stealth Rock twice without fainting. An emphasis is given to Articuno's higher defensive stat, Special Defense, because most of the common physical attacks against it, Stone Edge and Flare Blitz, will deal massive damage anyway. This Articuno can survive the likes of a Choice Specs Thunderbolt from Manectric and U-turn to a more favorable match up.</p>

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
<p>This set's purpose is to take advantage of Articuno's high special defense and "pass" with U-turn an eight turn Rain Dance to a team member. It is meant to come in on common UU threats like Steelix (generally don't carry Stone Edge), Claydol, Clefable (non boosted Thunderbolts and Flamethrowers will barely dent Articuno) and Leafeon, use Rain Dance then finally "scout" with U-turn to switch the proper recipient in.</p>

<p>Articuno's Ground immunity and high Special Defense naturally lend it to be an effective passer, so the potential of U-turn should not be underestimated. While Articuno will generally look to Rain Dance first, its ability to give the user the upper hand in a battle's pace with U-turn is a huge advantage. Roost also plays a significant role in "psuedo-passing," as it allows Articuno to heal off crippling Stealth Rock and general battle residual damage. Ice Beam is the attacking move of choice simply because it is STAB and because Grass Pokemon are common in UU, making it an effective offensive tool to use against a potential weakness of a Water Pokemon heavy team.</p>

<p>Damp Rock is the item of choice because it boosts Rain Dance to eight turns, a very useful characteristic when attempting to UU sweep with Rain. However, Leftovers can be considered if Articuno's survivability takes precedence over that goal. The HP EVs reach 381 and do not max out HP or reach the "magic" Leftovers number of 384 in order to allow Articuno to switch into Stealth Rock twice without fainting. An emphasis is given to Articuno's higher defensive stat, Special Defense, because most of the common physical attacks against it ( Stone Edge and Flare Blitz ) will deal massive damage anyway. This Articuno can survive the likes of a Choice Specs Thunderbolt from Manectric and U-turn to a more favorable match up.</p>
Great set overall. Summary is well written too, apart from a few nitpicks :).

I find that nearly every UU Steelix carries Stone Edge.

Grass Pokemon aren't particularly common. Venusaur probably will have high usage at the end of the month, and Leafeon is pretty common at #10, but then after Meganium and Vileplume (#20 and #18 respectively, which is kind of "meh") there isn't a single Grass-type until #47, Cacturne. Ice Beam is a strong STAB move, that's all that needs to be said.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It looks like a fine set but I think this should wait a bit before being put on site. Articuno was just introduced to the UU metagame and I think it might be wise to wait for it to settle down before putting a set up.

Otherwise, it looks fine although this sentence (I'm too lazy to quite right now)

"The HP EVs reach 381 and do not max out HP or reach the "magic" Leftovers number of 384 in order to allow Articuno to switch into Stealth Rock twice without fainting."

sounds a bit awkward try something along the lines "The HP EVs reach 381 and are designed to allow Articuno to switch into Stealth Rock twice without fainting".

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sure that this is a useful set, especially with the strength of Rain in UU. I really just don't see how this set is anything more than an Other Option though. Articuno doesn't have anything that can take advantage of Rain Dance except teammates, and that doesn't really make this set unique from everything else that learns Rain Dance.

Instead of making an entire set out of one move that only helps the team (just like Tailwind), I think the Other Options set could just use a revamp. You should mention how Articuno gets Rain Dance and now that its in UU it can set it up well, and maybe add more about U-turn.

Articuno just can't take advantage of Rain Dance like the Jirachi set that was posted a little while ago could with Thunder + para support. U-turn doesn't make Rain Dance any more useful since switching can just do the same thing. Jirachi's u-turn is just a really good move for it in general and Articuno is using it here as filler. Using one move in a team supporting role doesn't really distinguish it from anything else that learns Rain Dance. I don't think this is worthy of a set on its own, especially if something with the same impact such as Tailwind isnt.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I disagree that a Pokemon needs to take advantage of whatever it is passing. Note, Double Screen Deoxys-S.

This is a support Articuno, and if you read my set comments, I am emphasizing two aspects, not "one move" as you seem to think: Rain Dance AND U-turn.

Since the analysis doesn't have a set for either, I think a viable set that uses both is fine.

I have no intention of relegating this simply to Other Options, especially considering how successfully I have used it.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Articuno's Ground immunity and high Special Defense naturally lend it to be an effective pseudo-passer, so the potential of U-turn should be not underestimated. While Articuno will generally look to Rain Dance first, its ability to give the user the upper hand in battle pacing with U-turn is a huge advantage. Roost also plays a significant role in "pseudo-passing," as it allows Articuno to heal off crippling Stealth Rock and general battle residual damage. Ice Beam is the attacking move of choice simply because it is STAB, as well as Grass-type Pokemon being common in UU, making it an effective offensive tool to use against a potential weakness of a Water Pokemon heavy team.</p>

<p>Damp Rock is the item of choice because it boosts Rain Dance to eight turns, which is a very useful characteristic when attempting to sweep in UU with Rain. However, Leftovers can be considered if Articuno's survivability takes precedence over that goal. The HP EVs reach 381 and do not max out HP or reach the "magic" Leftovers number of 384 in order to allow Articuno to switch into Stealth Rock twice without fainting. An emphasis is given to Articuno's higher defensive stat, Special Defense, because most of the common physical attacks against it, such as Stone Edge and Flare Blitz, will deal massive damage anyway. This Articuno can survive the likes of a Choice Specs Thunderbolt from Manectric and U-turn to a more favorable match up.</p>
Minor nitpicking pretty much.

The 2nd sentence in the last paragraph is more or less long, I think 'However' sounds better at the beginning.

I personally think this set can have its own slot. Articuno is one of the bulkier Rain Dancers that can take some things to its advantage, like ridding the Fire-weakness, even though it (as jrr stated) isn't as effective in its tier as Jirachi would be due to the lack of Fire attacks in the UU metagame..

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Interestingly, Phuquoph and I talked about this set yesterday (in our brainstorm session on how to make Articuno not suck). Why not give it 383 HP instead of 381? Also, why did you choose to use that specific EV spread?

I would remove/edit the part about Specs Manectric. In that matchup it would be better to simply switch than to U-Turn, or to stay in and Ice Beam if you have no better choice.

I know little about UU, but don't you want the slowest possible U-Turn? In my experience, it does a lot for getting rain sweepers in untouched just like exploding does.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I disagree that a Pokemon needs to take advantage of whatever it is passing. Note, Double Screen Deoxys-S.
Well Dual Screen Deoxys does take advantage of what it pseudo passes...it uses the Screens to set up the other Screen and also SR.

But anyways, now that I've actually used this set I'm a believer. It's great, although I agree with Great Sage...your EV spread just didn't feel right. The slow U-turn is great, just like a Wishpassing Vaporeon. Articuno can take pretty much any hit in UU and U-turn to the pokemon that can take advantage of Rain without them taking damage. I see RL's concern but I think it actually works out in this set's favor.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I find that nearly every UU Steelix carries Stone Edge.
Since we should start getting into the habit of using Doug's stats rather than personal findings, I did the looking for you to verify your claim:

Steelix | Move | Stone Edge | 27.1 |

27.1% is certainly not negligible, so Articuno should exercise caution upon switching into Steelix. Still, a fantastic set.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This post is for Aldaron's and Jrrrrrrr's purposes ...

Hold onto this - it isn't really covered on the site.

Aldaron

geriatric
Well I want to hold off putting this on the SCMS while the EV spread is questionable, so any thoughts on that?

I have a question...

Is U-turn necessary? (There are no other options listed...)

Keep in mind Articuno learns Reflect, and Defog.

Reflect makes it easier to switch to your Swiftswimmers.

Defog removes an opponent's Light Screen, Safeguard, and Reflect, plus it lowers their Evasion 1 Stage, (allowing you to have a better chance at Hydro Pumping, Aqua Taling, and Stone Edging the opponent, and not miss).

In exchange you lose only 1 additional turn ( 8 - 1 *setup* - 1 *Reflect / Defog* - 1 *switch* = 5 turns left to sweep, and much more effectively).

Consider the plethora of Screen users in UU, and helpfulness of lowering an opponent's Evasion on inaccurate moves; it's like using both Brick Break and Sweet Scent in 1 turn.

I understand that it removes Spikes, Stealth Rock, etc., but on Rain teams, (where you want to sweep hard and fast), teams rarely use Spikes, and Stealth Rocks is less than common.

As for Reflect, it makes it easier to switch in your next Pokemon, plus if it can't KO the opponent, it is better able to take physical hits.

Please consider it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)