1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NateDog

NateDog

Hi this is my first post, and I must say I really like this website a lot! Now onto the question I have:

I'm up in the 60s for double battle and the 50s for multi battle in the tower. Whenever my streak ends or I'm satisfied I would like to post the results as described in this threat, hopefully with an image or short clip to as proof. I raised a bunch of pokes on my pearl version, but I hack them all on my diamond, which is where I'm getting far in the battle tower. Are hacked pokemon considered legit enough for entry into this thread if they do not exceed what an unhacked pokemon can do(i.e. higher stats, impossible moves/move combonations, abilities, etc.) All of mine are perfect IVs(expect for when a specific hidden power is desired) and most just have a 4/252/252 EV split.

On a side note I use Timid Specs Typhlosion Eruption in doubles alongside a Timid Jolteon running Sunny Day and Helping Hand. Needless to say, if they don't hit me on the first turn when I use Sunny Day/Specs Eruption, then pretty much nothing survives the following Sunny Day/Helping Hand/Specs Eruption(short of anything with Flash Fire, which is rare). My other two aren't set yet, but they'll likely be Adamant Dragonite and Timid Sceptile. Or let me know if you can think of some better backups.
  2. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

for what it's worth (damn you TRE...)

[​IMG]
  3. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

nice one jump ;) gl when you continue (EDIT: lol I see you´ve updated the list already :D)
    wow you haven´t played doubles at all

@nate dog: first of all, it´s cool that you admit that you cheat, but I don´t think I will list you if you make a record, you have a slight advantage over others when you later face perfect IV pokémon with your own perfect IVs, it just not fair when compared to others who work like a month or more on their team and their pokémon still don´t have flawless IVs (I´m against cheating anyway)

as for the BT IVs, I´m still working on figuring them out (lost at #67, claydol QC worked twice in a row against starmie and surf didn´t 1hko - held an expert belt instead of LO, and the physical latios beat me because I didn´t know which one it was and switched chomp out although it was faster and could OHKO, snorlax couln´t take the boosted claws well), I´m playing multi right now mainly to check my partner´s pkmn because I have a theory...
  4. NateDog

NateDog

That's cool, I just didn't know if other people did that and if it was acceptable. It is just game data to me, but what you have said is very fair and I understand. Thanks for the explanation.
  5. M4GNITUDE

M4GNITUDE

My streak was at 184.

Pic:
    [​IMG]
    Streak ended with a Miltank <.<

Body Slam hax.

Anyway, my team:

WarElf (Azelf) @ Choice Scarf
    Naive Nature
    252 Speed/252 SpA/4 HP
    U-Turn
    Psychic
    Flamethrower
    Grass Knot

IronForge(Metagross) @ Shuca Berry
    Adamant Nature
    252 Atk/152 Def/100 HP
    Agility
    Meteor Mash
    Thunderpunch
    Earthquake

MajikDrago(Gyrados) @ Wacan Berry
    Adamant Nature
    252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    Ice Fang
    Dragon Dance
    Aqua Tail
    Earthquake

I'll be going for the top spot next, probably changing this team around.
  6. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

nice record, but seriously why would you put a choice scarf on a + speed azelf? you need 213 speed to outspeed every poké in the tower (except the QC ones), which means 142 speed (279 at lv.100) + scarf, you have 274 speed (if you have flawless speed IV), which is pure overkill...with a + speed personality your azelf doesn´t even need EVs in speed to do the trick (222 speed), so unless your azelf is already at lv.100 I would recommend that you put all the speed EVs into HP/attack for your next run

I´ve spent about an hour to win the #50-56 round today because I was PP wasting stuff with snorlax (like starmie, kingdra and magnezone) to get as many damages as I could...this "should" help me figure out the tower IVs (some results are still bothering me)

EDIT: well a paralyzed scarf azelf has 67 or 68 speed :/ which lets you tie with/outspeed neutral base 45 pokémon (hippo, wak)
  7. M4GNITUDE

M4GNITUDE

Okay then, I was thinking on putting Specs on it then.

EDIT:

I put it on there because for when it was paralyzed, it would still be able to outspeed everything.
  8. kingofgames

kingofgames

Wow. You guys just put my record to shame.
    I quit for like 2 weeks in the top.

Now I have to start all over again
  9. FastHippo

FastHippo

Why do you use Aqua Tail over Waterfall? Aqua T seems only to be better when it can OHKO something that Wfall can't. Also, Aqua T has 90% accuracy, Waterfall has a 20% flinch rate(you should be going first most of the time) and Wfall has 5 more pp.
  10. DarkDestruction

DarkDestruction

For the Link Multi Battle Tower, a friend and I reached 49 wins (and still going). The team:

My two:

Gengar @ Wise Glasses
    Hasty - 252 SA, 252 S, 6 HP
    - Shadow Ball
    - HP Ice
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast

Swampert @ Leftovers
    Adamant - 252 HP, 252 A, 6 S
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    - Stone Edge

His two:

Metagross @ Liechi Berry
    Adamant - 252 S, 252 A, 6 HP
    - Agility
    - Explosion
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake

Latios @ Petaya Berry?
    Modest - 252 SA, 252 S, 6 HP
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Psychic
    - Surf

Strategy: kill the faster of the two opponents and then kill whoever he / she brought out. It worked, so far.

[​IMG]
  11. NateDog

NateDog

I know this cannot be posted as a record but I would like to sya that I got to 88 in doubles:

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs (first out)
    Timid - 252 Spd, 252 Satk, 4 HP
    Eruption
    SolarBeam
    Focus Blast
    Flamethrower

Jolteon @ Focus Sash (first out)
    Modest - 252 Spd, 252 Satk, 4 HP
    Thunderbolt
    Sunny Day
    Helping Hand
    Hidden Power Ice

Gengar @ Expert Belt
    Modest - 252 Spd, 252 Satk, 4 HP
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power Ice
    Destiny Bond

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Adamant - 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Dragon Claw
    Brick Break
    Fire Punch
    Dragon Dance

Basically I was owned by Quick Claw. Blissey and Rhyperior were out first. I should have Sunny Day/SolarBeamed Rhyperior, but I wanted to take a chunk out of Blissey, so I went with the ol' Sunny Day/Eruption. Blissey took almost half damage, and would have fallen on the next turn from Sunny Day/Helping Hand/Eruption. Even if there was an EQ coming, which was unlikely, Jolteon would sash and HP Ice for the KO the following turn. Well Rhy Stone Edges Typhlosion for a KO, after loosing 3/4 health via Eruption. Blissey DT. I send out Dragonite, target Blissey with Brick Break and Rhy with HP Ice. Rhy QC Stone Edges Dragonite for the KO, and I was very upset! After KOing Rhy I get a sash Garchomp sent out on me, which I KO in one turn because I fire both HP Ice at him to be sure. I don't remeber what is out next but I KO it and loose Gengar. At that point Jolteon cannot trade Thunderbolt with Leftovers Blissey Ice Beam, and it beats me down for the win.

I hate Quick Claw. And it hates me.
  12. cmg474

cmg474

Edit: Streak ended at 211.

Single Battle: 203*
    http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6065/dpbt203fb8.png

[​IMG]
    Zapdos @ Charti Berry (Rock Resist Berry)
    Bold: 252HP/224Def/28SpA/4SpDef
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power Ice
    Roost
    Thunder Wave

With no weaknesses while roosting (except ground which the AI will never use) this is a great tank. Usually beats the first two Pokemon. Thunder Wave supports TTar and adds even more "hax" to Garchomp.

Rock Resist berry means that I can usually beat rock/ground types by using HP Ice. With no leftovers sandstorm hurts quite a bit so I try to keep Zapdos in as long as I can before I send in TTar.

I keep it in on almost everything.
    Ice types that aren't half water is an easy switch to TTar. Half waters just get T-bolted.
    Electric types don't hurt Zapdos too much but it's easier to switch to Garchomp.
    Cursers/other stat raisers beat Zapdos so I switch to TTar or Garchomp.
    Psychics without Focus Blast is also a switch to TTar.

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
    Adamant: 92HP/252Atk/164Spd
    Dragon Dance
    Crunch
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake

Mainly here to provide Sandstorm and stop Ice types. Gets a few sweeps here and there. Since the opponent is usually paralyzed I use a more bulky spread instead of going with Jolly+252Spd.

[​IMG]
    Garchomp @ Leftovers
    Jolly: 252Atk/252Spd/4Def
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw
    Substitute
    Swords Dance

Sand Veil never seems to work when I try to abuse it but it's saved me a couple times. This team was built around this set but it doesn't really do too much most battles.

The only problems I have ran into are Cursers since my team is physically based. Especially Chesto Rest or Quick Claw Cursers. I faced a lot of these around the 100-140 range but not too many lately.
  13. DarkDestruction

DarkDestruction

That's great. I wish I could get my Singles record up that high, but sadly, I keep making stupid mistakes. Oh well.

One other thing: Is anyone else tired of seeing teams based off of Jump's team of Starmie, Tyranitar, and Garchomp (or actually using the team as is) or is it just me? I really wish people would change it up a bit.
  14. Jumpman16

is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Well people can do what they like, DarkDestruction, it's been proven in both this and the other thread why my team is so effective.

[​IMG]

At the very least I can say I'm happy about three things. I got over 200 (losing at 199 would have been more painful than losing at 200 than just the difference of one battle). I'm also glad that my loss in battle 204 didn't feature a single mistake from me: A quick recap (though most of it's in the IRC part of the screenshot):

Rhydon QCs (20%) Starmie with Megahorn (85%) for the OHKO. At the beginning of any battle where I'm facing a potential QC or Brightpowder poke that poses a threat to Starmie just because of its item, I fleetingly expect the worst, like "well I'm about to get QCed"...so I can't say I was surprised! Not too thrilled because I know that Tyranitar isn't OHKOing a full HP Rhydon with EQ, and I'd rather go to Tyra since it's the most expendable and all. But after some calculations it became evident that not even Garchomp could OHKO the opposing Rhydon because it had max HP. I still went Garchomp because Rhydon would 100% KO Tyranitar with a STAB EQ whereas it would need to rely on 30% luck to take out Garchomp in one hit with Horn Drill. It does though (30%), and I'm already reserved to the loss. I can't DD in its face with Tyranitar because it can OHKO with EQ and even if it uses something dumb it can QC me the second turn. But the animation confirms its QC activates first turn (20%) and already a wistful smile curls tightly around my lips...but it uses Stone Edge and hits (80%), taking me to 100/175. My Crunch kills and I just hope the next poke is one I can DD on but of course it's Aerodactyl who EQ for the win. Calculating all the luck the AI got, my "screwed factor" was 0.816%, which isn't as bad as the ≈0.4% that did me in at 129 but it still pretty lame.

But the third thing I'm happy about is that I finally get to breed, train and use the team I've been theorymoning with people like Mekkah and Obi on IRC for around three weeks. As Mekkah told me when my just-ended streak was at ≈147 and I'd finally decided on the minute (but important) details of the team, I shouldn't quit my current streak as I suggested I should (jokingly and largely because I was so excited to try it out) because I'll eventually get haxed and if "team mekkahjump" turns out not to be as foolproof as we thought then I would not have ended my streak in vain. So in not so much "back to the drawing board" as it is back to the daycare...
  15. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

I'm really interested to hear about how this new team of yours shapes up.
    Congratulations on breaking the 200 mark!

Looks like I have another article update to make ...
  16. cmg474

cmg474

My streak ended at 211...
    [​IMG]

Lopunny lead. I T-wave it as it Returns. I beat every single Lopunny before but this one Mirror Coats my T-bolt and KO's me. I send in Garchomp next and EQ for the KO. Next is Marowak. I know I can't 1hko so I SD. It EQs me for ~70% and my +2 EQ does ~98% :\ It Double Edges me and I'm down 2-1. TTar outspeeds Marokwak and the last Pokemon is a Breloom who resists all of TTar's moves...

Oh well, 2nd place + over 200 is nice :D
  17. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

nice that top 3 are over 200 wins

btw. where should I post my test results (tower IVs)? I mean if I make a new topic it will die in like 3 days...oh well still a few more tests to go

anyway, there´s a guy (I think I met him IRL on a tourney 2 years ago in germany) on a german forum where I also opened this kind of topic (records), and he achieved 301 wins with
    -roserade@specs, modest, 252sA/252speed, leaf storm, shadow ball, sludge bomb, hp fire 65
    -lucario@life orb, adamant, 252at/speed, swrods dance, extremespeed, close combat, bullet punch
    -cresselia@lefties, bold, 252HP/200def/52sD, toxic, rest, CM, psychic

he posted this exactly a month ago (14.2.2008 with a proof-pic)...what´s "worse" is that he has a "current run" record in his sig which said 448 yesterday and 539 today...that´s crazy! I have to ask him what he uses now...I mean he had to be very lucky to achieve 301 with the above team (well everyone has to be lucky in the tower, I mean yesterday around #80 I was leading 3-1 and had a full health 6 cursed snorlax out with a full health starmie and garchomp behind...well I lost to the double team sheer cold resttalk leppa lapras because my body slam didn´t 1hko that fugly thing a few times lol (I hit it 3-4 times), timid starmie expertbelt (fuck I will never use expertbelt with timid again) bolt didn´t even do 50% although I hit the shit quite often, it resttalk PP wasted itself, leppa recovered sleep talk and then it killed starmie and chomp with its last two sleep talks rofl

yeah that´s pretty much the thing if you don´t have a sturdy pokémon or one with a immunity to the 1hko attack because sooner or later one of these will get you (26 tower OHKO users), like rhydon got jump:

Sheer Cold (6): abomasnow, articuno, dewgong, glalie, lapras, walrein
    Fissure (7): donphan, dugtrio, hippowdon, mamoswine, wailord, walrein, whiscash
    Horn Drill (7): dewgong, nidoking, rapidash (2x), rhydon, rhyperior, seaking
    Guillotine (6): crawdaunt, gligar, gliscor (2x), kingler, pinsir
  18. Jumpman16

yeah i'm a little surprised myself at his 301-streak with "that team"...i mean my second theorymoned team has sd luke in it but you wouldn't think it would be that good a poke...i'm guessing he beats a lot of crap 1-on-1 with cress, knowing that unless it's STAB SE or he's facing a OHKO poke (save fissure) cress will take out at least two pokes. very effective style but i am glad that this very topic has proven that there's a wide, wide array of teams that can be successful (because toxicstalling isn't my cup of tea in the BT lol)

and not to take anything from your friend or anyone at all but if rhydon QCed his lead poke there is a chance he'd be staring at 1-3 himself since even with LO Lucario can't OHKO rhydon guaranteed and if Rhydon gets its second of two QCs (it got me twice) against luke it really doesn't look good...kind of puts things in perspective for me. i'm not trying to "make myself feel better" as much as i am trying to point out how lame QC is and how the team I'm about to use plans on dealing with hax items specifically...
  19. DarkDestruction

DarkDestruction

I think everyone hates Quick Claw and other hax items as such. I can't remember too many specific incidents where those hax items were involved and I lost (since I mostly lose to myself and stupid mistakes and miscalculations, but that's another story for another lifetime), but they do make things a lot harder.

Interesting, but harder.
  20. redsoxfan325

redsoxfan325

My best was 116.
    Team:
    Garchomp @ Life Orb
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Dragon Claw
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stone Edge

Lucario @ Choice Specs
    ~ Aura Sphere
    ~ Shadow Ball
    ~ HP Ice
    ~ Vacuum Wave

Suicune @ Leftovers
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Calm Mind
    ~ Roar

I lost in the most bullshit way. My Garchomp got off a SD and killed the first pokemon. (I forget what it was.) The trainer sent out Tyranitar. Tyranitar got Quick Claw boost and OHKO'd with Dragon Claw. I sent out Lucario. Tyranitar got Quick Claw boost and OHKO'd with Earthquake. I sent out Suicune. I beat it down with Surf while it beat me down with Earthquake. In the end (after taking 3-4 EQs and dishing out 3-4 Surfs) I was about to kill it with surf, when it got the Quick Claw boost again. It used Earthquake and it put me into Death-by-Sandstorm range. I killed it with Surf and that very same turn died from Sandstorm.
  21. Everstone

Everstone Now 100% reliable
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Best streak of mine is 105. Lost due to bad prediction, but I kinda wanted to lose since that gives me an opportunity to farm quick BP from Palmer. I'll start a streak again once I have enough items, TM's and whatnot.

Used
    Gengar @ Focus Sash
    -Counter
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Destiny Bond

Blissey @ Leftovers
    -Softboiled
    -Counter
    -Seismic Toss
    -Toxic

Salamence @ Choice Band/Life Orb
    -Dragon Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw
    -Aerial Ace

Same team and Pokemon I used for Emerald Battle Tower, but with different movesets.
  22. DarkDestruction

DarkDestruction

Are there any particular Pokémon your team had trouble with? That could help you out in the future. How'd that Salamence work out for you? I've wanted to use that same moveset for a while (I used the same thing in the Ruby / Sapphire Battle Tower). What about EV spreads and natures? What did you use for your team, specifically your Salamence?
  23. Everstone

is a Contributor Alumnus

Sometimes I led with Salamence, and it turned out to be good for softening up things like physical attackers so Blissey could come and Toxic it. Particularly useful for scouting Draco Meteors too (Usually if it says "White Herb restored its status", It'd usually have Draco Meteor if it could learn it, like Garchomp, thus a switch to Blissey to absorb a predicted Meteor and Softboiled off the damage) I played around a little bit and saw Counter Sash Gengar worked better as a lead though, so Mence would usually sit back for cleanup duty, came out mostly if something Double Teamed. Usually I'd use a shuffle strategy where if I saw that something knew Earthquake/Cross Chop/Shadow Ball/Return I'd switch between Blissey/Gengar and Blissey/Mence to deplete PP and in the Blissey/Mence case, lower attack drastically (Did it to Slaking once, I think I ended up Dragon Dancing and sweeping that trainer).
    Hippowdon usually gave me some problems with Sandstream nullifying Focus Sash, but I usually Countered or Toxiced it to death with Bliss. Rest Bronzong made me resort to stalling it out until it died to either struggle or Seismic Toss.

IVs and EVs are as follows
    Gengar - Modest
    IVs (8/29/30/31/26/28 Not the best Gengar, but I'm planning on rebreeding one that's Timid/Modest/Hasty with my quint flawless Misdreavus as soon as I'm done breeding Duskulls)
    EVs 6 Hp/252Sp Atk/252 Speed

Blissey: Bold
    IVs 28-29/x/31/x/31/x Got tired of breeding and decided to keep this
    EVs 252 HP/252Def /6 Sp.Def

Salamence: Adamant
    IVs 29/31/31/19/31/31 (Close to perfect, what more could you want?)
    EVs 6HP/252 Atk/252 Speed

I think I lost because something either used a OHKO move or criticaled on Blissey, and after Sala killed it, left me with Salamence vs. Tentacruel (Same base speed). AI won the coin toss, and as expected, Ice Beamed. Maybe I'll put a Yache Berry next time and see how that works.
  24. forbidden

forbidden

I learned that stalling is bad the hard way when I tried to use haze milo with toxic. :(

I would use Aromatherpy over Toxic there. But in the event that you meet that calm mind mismagius, you're screwed if gengar already died.
  25. Everstone

is a Contributor Alumnus

Just checked the tower movesets, and I don't see a calm mind Mismagius anywhere.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)