1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. august

august free the robots
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournament

WiFi Tower- At the time of the streak, rank 10. Consecutive Wins- 35
    Team-
    PorygonZ @ Choice Scarf (Download)
    Modest, 252 Sp Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
    Dark Pulse
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Tri Attack

Metagross @ Lum Berry
    Adamant, 252 HP/ 240 Attack/ 16 HP
    Earthquake
    Thunderpunch
    Meteor Mash
    Bullet Punch

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
    Impish, 252 HP/ 252 Defense/ 4 Sp Def
    Shadow Sneak
    Will O Wisp
    Pain Split
    Confuse Ray

For those in doubt, ill be getting pictures shortly, just found my camera. Camera was blurring the picture up, so i took it on my cell phone, just have to wait til my sister comes home so she can teach me how to send it to my email
  2. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Well it's 3am and I just hit my highest streak yet... unfortunately losing in the process. I was going to hold off on posting my team here until I (hopefully) made the top 3 but considering how tough those are to reach, the fashion I just lost, the time I've spent on BT, and the actual current time, it seemed appropriate for me to reveal what I've been toying with.

My current record is 117.

I've been pounding the BT with this team for the last week or two after I was inspired by reading this thread again. Before these past few weeks, my all time high had been 54 (twice) using a team that tried to bash the AI before it could bash me. The usual suspects of Garchomp/Tyranitar/filler. After checking out the updated records, I decided to go for a much more AI abusive approach. My first run was extremely successful from my standpoint as I cruised to 75 victories before making a costly mistake. I chalked it up to human error. Then I had some humbling slaps in the face as a I lost a few times before even hitting 50 wins. I didn't change the team but rather my approach to using it and thus now 117 with a loss I can blame on luck rather than poor play.

Wobbuffet @Lum Berry
    Ability: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 4HP/252Def/252SpDef
    Nature: Calm
    - Encore
    - Safeguard
    - Counter
    - Mirror Coat

Encore was the main inspiration for this team and Wobbuffet is actually a surprisingly solid BT pokemon. I've been abusing the BT moveset lists like it's my job during these runs to best predict how I can take advantage of the opposing lead. Obviously if the opposing pokemon has all damaging moves I'm going to use Counter/Mirror Coat. For those that have non damaging moves, it really depends on the pokemon. It took a while to get a feel for which ones I should still Counter/MC and which ones I should Encore but I think I'm getting better at making the right call. I've noticed some pokemon (Lanturn/Glalie for example) react based on the move I choose which is really lame. If I Encore, I'm getting attacked but if I use Mirror Coat, they'll use Confuse Ray/Hail. Lum Berry and Safeguard are pretty self explanatory. I'd love to be able to fit Destiny Bond in here but I think the benefits Safeguard can bring are better overall.

Anyway, Wobbuffet can usually take out one pokemon with Counter/MC or lock them into something easy to setup on thanks to Encore.

Gengar @Focus Sash
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
    Nature: Timid
    - Counter
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Destiny Bond

You've all seen this before. After deciding I wanted to use Wobbuffet, Gengar was my next choice. It's really as good as it looks on paper in terms of AI abuse. The main reason I chose Gengar was because it is immune to 3 out of the 4 possible OHKO moves and is way more useful than some of the Sturdy pokemon. Best single pokemon anyone can use in the Battle Tower, no question.

Lucario @Muscle Band
    Ability: Steadfast
    EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Crunch
    - ExtremeSpeed

After noticing I had two weaknesses to ghost and more importantly dark attacks, I decided my 3rd pokemon had to be resistant to both. Lucario was an obvious choice. It has power, the ability to setup, a priority move, and key resistances. Originally I was using a Life Orb and Bullet Punch over Crunch but that left me really open to Cresselia and I barely ever used Bullet Punch. I liked Life Orb's power but I hated recoil damage and being as frail as it is, I figured Lucario didn't need to be killing himself, too. Jolly because I love speed and I can usually get in the attack boosts.

It's pretty obvious what I want to do here. Get Wobbuffet to Encore a status or stat upping move and then get Lucario in to setup. Encore lasts a minimum of 4 turns so if Wobbuffet catches something like Calm Mind I can get at least two Swords Dances in after the initial Encore turn and switch. Getting certain moves Encored like Stone Edge or Crunch can also be easy set up points. If Wobbuffet catches Double Team, I usually switch to Gengar and hope to kill it before Encore ends with my backup plan being to Destiny Bond. Lead OHKO users still scare this team despite Gengar's presence mainly because sometimes they use OHKO moves and sometimes they don't. Usually I Encore them and hope they don't use it/miss. If they do miss, I switch to Gengar since Sash will eat a second OHKO if it's Sheer Cold and obviously they miss otherwise. If they use a regular attack, Wobbuffet can act accordingly. The other potential problem, though I've been lucky with this, is sleep status. I have to Encore sleep users and if a Hypnosis or something hits then Lum Berry solves this. Safeguard next turn on the miss or eat the sleep considering I have to be extremely unlucky for Wobbuffet not to wake up before Encore ends. Not the most ideal situation, but it works around it. A general "weakness" I've noticed is water pokemon. They tend to be bulky and usually don't give me good openings for setting up Lucario so a team full of them is a pain.

As I said earlier, I changed the way I played this team rather than the pokemon in it. The main difference besides more experience with how the AI plays is that I try to keep Wobbuffet alive now. In earlier runs, I would gladly leave Wobb in after it killed something with Counter/MC to die when it was low on HP. However, this is actually a bad idea. If Wobbuffet faints the first AI pokemon but takes a lot of damage in the process allowing it to die as well is essentially a wash and puts the game at 2-2. The AI is at an advantage here since there's no guarantee that I don't have to sacrifice my incoming Gengar. A Double Team user or something Gengar can't Counter/bash in two turns will instinctively force me to use Destiny Bond. Then it's a non SD'ed Lucario versus a mystery pokemon and that's not a fun situation. By not sacrificing Wobbuffet and switching out if I can, I can legitimately save Gengar for "last" and bank on Destiny Bond to win the match if it comes down to being "1-1". A near dead Wobbuffet is not as useless as it seems..

My loss went like this: Lead Roserade which happened to be one of the pure attackers and not the Encore bait variety. Shadow Ball criticalled while I Encored. Wobb has about 1/4 of its HP left and I switch out to Lucario. Shadow Ball does enough damage to be noticeable. Next turn I Swords Dance and am faster (so actually it was the Sleep Powder Roserade) and get hit by another Shadow Ball which lowers my SpDef. Not wanting to risk the CH next turn, I kill off Roserade with Close Combat. I'm not sure if Crunch would have done enough but I wasn't taking any chances. In comes Tangrowth. I Close Combat again figuring I'll take a chunk of HP, finish it off with Gengar and then Destiny Bond the last pokemon for the win. Quick Claw activates, Tangrowth uses Earthquake and I lose Lucario. I send in Gengar. I probably should have used Counter here but knowing the AI if I did I'd get hit by Sleep Powder and wouldn't even have a shot to get lucky with Shadow Ball. I SB and Tangrowth is half health now but in the yellow while it uses Payback and activates Focus Sash. I can still win this thanks to Wobbuffet being saved but Quick Claw activates again and Power Whip seals the win for the AI.

OK sorry for how long this is but most of this was for me personally to just type out and feel good about. Now that it's after 4 (man this took forever to type up), I'm going to bed. Opinions on my team are welcome. Argh BT..
  3. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

thanks for that i love you cool trainer carl

anyway i've given you a lot of input on irc but yeah i'm glad you're addressing the use of your pokemon over changing their moveset (besides taking my muscle band suggestion, lol). i just wish you luck in dealing with the myriad QC and OHKO users in the BT, as i think that the former is the biggest streak-killer in DP (whereas the latter was the biggest one in Emerald, imo)

regarding viper's streak, i share DJD's sentiments in wanting to hear from him as to how he used his pokes and why, and also why he decided to change them up when he did. after battle 49 i'm pretty sure that any one streak of 100+ battles is indicative of a pretty effective team, so you would need a good reason to not only want to change your team but more importantly to jeopardize your streak when you literally have a good thing going. if it's the case that viper saw flaws with his leads and just didn't post them then that's ok, and that's why people like DJD want to know his strategy from his own standpoint. if not then I/we seriously can only conclude that such a streak was a result of the immense luck of not facing any kinds of crippling hax (which may or may not mean the german AI is softcore compared to the American one), cause all my experiences tell me three things: in order to amass a huge streak you

1) really, really know what you're doing
    2) really, really know what you're doing and you're really lucky too
    3) don't really know what you're doing but you're really lucky

and as of right now there's no good reason to believe it's 1) in viper's case because he hasn't posted any strategy or reasons why he changed his lead so often as i've said. after looking at his loss i'm actually not surprised he lost at all since his zapdos can't OHKO two of the four rampardos with thunder, is outsped by one of the two it can thanks to scarf, and the one it can OHKO and isn't initially faster can Endure/Salac for a good chance of outspeeding for the Stone Edge OHKO.

so thinking about it objectively it is indeed "luck" that it took him 915 battles to find the evident bane of his team...or at least lends more credence to "pay attention to the BT Moveset List" since his zapdos would have housed the shit out of the DT Blaziken and staying in with the Lucario that stops his "bane" (Rampardos) was really not a smart move after the DT since it has DT/Sand Attack/Reversal/Endure. this has me leaning more towards my above 3) than anything because the instant anything DTes against me in the BT and i don't know its set by heart i look at a moveset list and have since 2005 (thanks peterko i love you) to see what the best move for my team is because letting your opponent DT up is like the best way to flush your streak down the toilet if you don't have something reliable for evasion

whatever though i really don't care that much but at least by reading this post you get a little insight into why I feel such a streak has much more to do with luck and less to do with strategy (if he'd switched in zappy after blaze's first DT he would not have lost, period)
  4. trader

trader

I'm at battle 21,still going but I need suggestions for this team

Gyarados@Lefties
    Adamant
    Standard Bulkydos spread
    Waterfall
    Return
    DD
    Taunt

Deals with all the double teamers in the tower by taunting them

Salamence@Focus sash
    Adamant
    255 speed/atk
    DD
    Dragon claw
    EQ
    Stone edge/Aerial ace?

Pretty much takes care of stuff that Gyara can't.Says fuck you to OHKO pokemon

Blissey@Choice specs
    255 HP/Sp atk
    Ice beam
    Flamethrower
    T-Bolt
    Shadow ball

Can take any kind of special hit and can take some physical hits.I think I need to replace it though.It's abit too gimmicky.Any suggestions?
  5. Thomaz

Thomaz

I'm trying my hand at the Battle Tower but I can't really think of a nice team.
    For now I'm usually using Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega and Suicide Sweeper Garchomp. Garchomp is good but because of the lack of Attack power, he sometimes fails to OHKO certain mons. =(

Third Pokemon is Infernape atm but I feel I need something to take certain attacks better/hit harder. So this one's going out. I was using Tyranitar to help with Sand Veil hax, but I don't know what set I should use. Using the CB one atm.
  6. Jumpman16

is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

you both probably want this thread more than this one since neither of your teams are solidified and you're more asking for help than posting your teams
  7. Metronome

Metronome

Might as well post in this topic as my first post. :)

I reached battle 151 with a Jumpman team of Starmie/Tyranitar/Garchomp, with slight changes. I'm happy/sad to say that I lost to the EXACT same Rhydon as him, though in a slightly different manner. Starmie lost to QC Megahorn, sent in Tyranitar to chance my Sand Veil hax and BBreak suicide, then realized Garchomp was doomed with EQ and the chance of finding a flyer/Levitator or not KOing Rhydon with Outrage. Chose Outrage; he survived, then hit me with Horn Drill. >: (

Since it is basically Jumpman's team, I'll just list the changes.

Starmie:
    Tried Grass Knot for a while for those bulky waters, then went back to Psychic. Didn't find GK as useful as Psychic had been.

Tyranitar:
    Earthquake replaced with Brick Break. I did this for coverage against Normal/Dark and some Steels, although it leaves him walled by the occasional Toxicroak (who is usually pwned by Starmie). Was considering Focus Punch but decided it was too risky since things don't really switch out in the BT (except pure electric movesets vs. Garchomp, always funny to see).

Garchomp:
    Crunch replaced with Aerial Ace. Simply to hit those DTers against whom I don't get lucky with boosted Tyranitar or something.

I definitely got lucky in some places, and I discovered some Pokes that I despise now. Honorable mentions: Exeggutor, TR Bronzong, anything with OHKO moves (especially that Dewgong), Snorlax (curse you!). All of them ended my streak or came super close to it. I do have to say, though, that IVs make a huge difference. 31 SpA IVs on Starmie nails some crucial OHKOs that don't happen with close to 0 IVs. HP IVs are also great; Tyranitar can survive occasional fighting attacks with it :). Still working on a better Garchomp, but it'll get there. Going to keep trying, maybe experiment with some different teams if I think of any/feel like working for better-than-sucky IVs.
  8. venom_prince91

venom_prince91

Currently up to battle 140 with Jump's team. Will post pictures when streak ends.
  9. owac

owac

my streak ended at 143... same team from my last post

a stupid wailord hit with fissure my metagross, activate quick claw and ice beam my breloom and quick claw- ice beam my garchomp next T_T

well at least it wasn`t a bad move of mine just bad luck...
  10. Dtram

Dtram

Uxie@Sitrus Berry
    Hasty
    Confusion
    Yawn
    Future Sight
    Energy Ball

Electivire@Scope Lens
    Adamant
    Cross Chop
    ThunderPunch
    Earthquake
    Ice Punch

Gallade@Life Orb
    Impish 25 HP / 31 Atk / 27 Def / 21 Sp.Atk / Sp.Def 9 / Spd 27 (should I keep or breed?)
    X-Scissor
    Aerial Ace
    Rock Slide
    Psycho Cut

I open with Uxie first using yawn, then a future sight straight after. I then switch to either gallade or electivire, whichever one suits the opponents weakness the most (usually electivire) then just keep switching between gallade and electivire when I need too.

I'm finding it extremely easy to push my way through the battle tower with this set up, btw I dont know any of the EV's because I got electivire and gallade from trades, and uxie I just didn't bother.

P.S I need to know whether to keep this gallade or breed it then make another eventually. For some reason I'm really funny about only training the best of the pokemon, which gets extremely annoying when I just want to have the pokemon for something like the pick up ability...
  11. Jumpman16

why arent you using items and why didn't you post that teams current records
  12. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

because...he´s at like 28 (no sarcasm)

anyway, it´d be great if 5 more people achieved more than 105 wins, I don´t like the current "26.-38. group" :/

absolutely off topic, I´ve won all of the contests this week (I had to understand the dancing part first) with my shiny alakazam, the same pkmn I won all of the emerald contests with...
  13. Invective

Invective

@ peterko

if you want more people above 105, i made it to 112. i havent bothered to go higher cuz id much rather play with a full team, but i may try to go higher.
    i was tired of losing with my own teams, so i just used jumpmans team, which is really good. so, yeah, does this help with the current grouping problem? i might post a pic later, but im technologically challenged so if i figure it out, ill post it, if not, im not sure.
  14. Dtram

Dtram

wow arnt you just so kind....

The reason I'm not using items is probably because I dont have any helpful items...

The reason I didn't post records is because I only just started so theres no point.
  15. hbdragon88

hbdragon88

Um, "just" bad luck? .3*.1*.1 = .003, or .3%. That was three-tenths of a single percent and it hit and knocked you off.
  16. trader

trader

I just got to battle 44 and lost.Choice scarf Machamp hits Salamence,Salamence just barely survives to take out half its HP,Gyarados comes in,takes the ice punch,and KO's with waterfall.Then comes choice band areodactyl for the KO with stone edge.Finally,I send out Electavire and he misses with stone edge so I KO him.Finally,he sends in Salamence,outspeeds Electavire and KO's with EQ so I'm pretty pissed.Oh well,at least I have 150 something BP

EDIT:Seeing Jumps post below,I used

Salamence@Focus Sash
    Adamant 255 Attack/Speed
    EQ
    Dragon Claw
    Stone Edge
    DD

Pretty much just hits everything super hard and laughs at OHKO'ers

Gyarados@Leftovers
    Adamant Standard Bulky-Dos spread
    Waterfall
    Taunt
    Return
    DD

Taunt all the DT'ers and DD up on everything I don't think I can 2HKO

And finally,the poke that brings them all together,

Electavire@Expert Belt
    Adamant 255 Attack/Speed
    Ice Punch
    Thunder Punch
    EQ
    Cross Chop

Switches into all the pokes with electric moves that would otherwise waste me

So now I've restarted it and just got to 21
  17. Jumpman16

dont be a dick (especially not to me), i had every right to delete your post because peterko asked people to both records and to post full teams with items and EVs if they were going to post. you realize the title of this topic is "DP Battle Tower Records", right? if you didn't feel your record was worth posting and you evidently don't want item suggestions then seriously why are you posting here instead of the Offline Battle Tower Teams thread I linked to four posts above yours?
  18. Dtram

Dtram

Ok, the real reason I didn't post them was because I forgot, I just wrote that whole post and I forgot the main reason I was posting for.

And even if he does ask to post items, it doesn't matter because I didn't actually use items.

I've only done 7 fights with that team, so thats the currant record, I'll do more some other time but I am breeding and stuff atm.

That was my first post saying moves and stuff so I wasn't really thinking about the requirments of what this thread asked for, I was too busy trying to remember what most people put when they post which pokemon/move sets/items etc.

sorry but I just wanted someone to atleast say how to improve the team, not just notify me on how bad I am on making bigger posts and my bad memory....lol
  19. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I admittedly didn't read the rest of the post, but the record made me a bit suspicious, and according to poccil, Sleep Talk cannot choose moves with no PP, which makes me more suspicious. This guy never encountered a 0 PP situation in 914 wins, is misremembering, is lying, or has discovered an error in our database.
  20. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

You can use attacks with 0 PP through Sleep Talk:

Machamp
    -0/7 Stone Edge
    -0/8 DynamicPunch
    -15/15 Ice Punch
    -10/10 Sleep Talk

Double Battle. CPU has a Meditite. I have a Smeargle and Machamp out.

Smeargle used Spore on Machamp.
    Machamp used Sleep Talk.
    Machamp used Stone Edge.
  21. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

definitely works on shoddy o_o;
  22. Edge Of Pain

Edge Of Pain

In the single battle tower, 105.

Garchomp @ Bright Powder
    Brave Nature (252Atk/252HP/6PDef)
    -Dragon claw
    -Earthquake
    -Sand storm
    -Substitute

Ninjask @ Leichi berry
    Hasty Nature (252Speed/252HP)
    -Swords Dance
    -Baton Pass
    -X-Scissor
    -Toxic

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Calm Nature (252Sdef/252HP)
    -Ice beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Wish (for the rest of the team, instead of soft boiled)
    -Seismic Toss

Picture is coming when I get hold of a camera that connects to a computer, or if there is a way to take pictures with a web cam, please tell me!

PICTURE COMING SOON.
  23. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

OK people read the first post...there´s no need to post a picture everytime, only if you make the Top 3

edge of pain, I´m gonna update your record tomorrow, it would be cool if you could run through at least one more round til then :)
  24. Microgreen

Microgreen

The highest I ever got to was a horrible 93...

Gengar(Modest) @Wide Lens
    252/Sp.Atk, 252/Spd, 6/HP
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Energy Ball
    -Hypnosis

Electivire(Adamnt) @Focus Sash
    252/Atk, 252/Spd, 6/HP
    -ThunderPunch
    -Ice Punch
    -Cross Chop
    -Earthquake

Garchomp(Jolly) @Yache Berry
    252/Atk, 252/Spd, 6/HP
    -Fire Fang
    -Swords Dance
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake

I trained really hard, i don't know why I can't win... My friend said I set my Pokemon up for Competive Battle not Battle Tower. I though about ditching Electivire and going with Starmie. I'll listen to any advice.
  25. Dtram

Dtram

Well I've been playing an electivire along with gallade and uxie (just random pokemon that ended up working fairly well) that has been working wonders.

Well until for some reason I took cross chop off gallade (electivire already has) and switched for rock slide, and also took off cut (came with cut in a trade) and added some 80 damage bug attack for dark and psychic. I also added a grass attack for uxie so he/she/it can actually do a little bit of damage and not just put em to sleep then future sight.

Anyway, I'm very new to battle tower but I really like it and its also helping me get used to setting up teams for competitive battling.

P.S I have a lvl 100 electivire that I got from a trade, should I breed it to get a better one? Same with my gallade, lvl 100 from trade.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)