1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zracknel

Zracknel you're not even worth it
    is an Artistis a Super Moderator
    Art Co-Leader

I'm sure it is tempting, but Giga Impact's 90 accuracy could spell your doom if it misfires at the wrong time, since slaking would suffer from truant before getting the chance to attack again. I don't know-- maybe you're into that kind of risk-- but from the experiences I've had, Choice Band Slaking kills near everything with return anyway (save for defensive pokemon like Cresselia).

The risk of doing nothing for two turns (true that you can switch if Slaking misses with Giga Impact, but still) is harsh enough that I wouldn't recommend it.

Brilliant; I wish I'd thought of it. I'll definitely give it a try if I ever decide to take the team on another go through the tower. Best of luck on your tower run, Carl.
  2. toldaillmin

toldaillmin

new D/P Battle Tower team, thoughts?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Staraptor @ Choice Band
    Adamant / Intimidate
    252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    ==========
    Close Combat
    U-Turn
    Brave Bird
    Return

[​IMG]
    Metagross @ Lum Berry
    Adamant / Clear Body
    252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Def
    ==========
    Bullet Punch
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Explosion

[​IMG]
    Starmie @ Choice Specs
    Modest / Natural Cure
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    ==========
    Psychic
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam

Strategy: Choice Band STABed Brave Bird hits most pokes pretty hard. U-Turn or Close Combat on weaknesses, Return is rarely used. Metagross comes in on many things easily with Bullet Punch as a revenge killer. Explode if they don't have Substitute or if it's the last poke. Starmie with Choice Specs as a finisher works better than as a starter in my opinion. I need some thoughts or critiques, thanks.
  3. toldaillmin

toldaillmin

problems handling electric pokes like jolteon ><
  4. DrEnzyme

DrEnzyme

This one gets me every time. I hate it so much that I think I'll make my own one and destroy the battle tower's one with it.
  5. -Marcel-

-Marcel-

Hee.

Im gonna test an team with Starmie, Typhlosion and Breloom.
    I have an question. What is the best BT Typhlosion. Modest w/ Choice Specs, Timid w/Choice Specs or Modest with Choice Scarf?

And if Modest w/ Choice Scarf. How many evs do i need to put in speed and HP?
    Im gonna run this moveset:
    -Eruption
    -Flamethrower
    -HP (ICE)
    -Focus Blast
  6. El_Sargento

El_Sargento

Double Battles Tower: 87 wins (damn you, random quick claw v_v)

[​IMG]
    Ambipom @ Muscle Band
    Jolly / Technician
    6HP/252Atk/252Spd
    -Fake Out
    -Rock Smash
    -Payback
    -U-turn
    [​IMG]
    Abomasnow
    @ Leftovers
    Timid / Snow Warning
    6HP/252Satk/252Spd
    -Blizzard
    -Substitute
    -Leech Seed
    -Grass Rope
    [​IMG]
    Mamoswine
    @ Life Orb
    Hasty / Snow Cloak
    252Atk/236Spd/20Satk
    -Blizzard
    -Ice Shard
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    [​IMG]
    Froslass
    @ Expert Band
    Timid / Snow Cloak
    6HP/252Satk/252Spd
    -Blizzard
    -Thunderbolt
    -Psychic
    -Shadow Ball
  7. FastHippo

FastHippo

This is my first run through the BT. My streak is active at 112. I'm posting it now, in order to break the log jam at the bottom of the list.

My lead is Hippowdon Impish @Focus Sash

181/130/150/77/124/99 I ev'd it for Speed/252 and Spdef/244

Yawn
    Stealth Rock
    Slack Off
    Earthquake

I used Lum Berry until 91 wins. I like being able to outspeed things that can 1 or 2HKO me, I get an extra move in. Getting OHKO'd without getting to move makes me have to work really hard. Now, because of Focus Sash, I have a better chance to at least get to use Yawn. This is how most of the battles go. Yawn the lead. Use SR if I can Slack Off to full health while it sleeps. Yawn again after it wakes. If I don't feel safe, I will S Off, Yawn again, after it wakes up and use SR the second time it sleeps. If it has an Ice attack, I kill it with EQ, if I can. I don't want to risk my next pokemon getting hit by ice moves.

Garchomp Jolly @Lum Berry (I used many different ones, settled on Persim, switched to Lum when Hippo switched)

183/181/115/78/96/169 ev'd for Att/244 and Speed/252

Substitute
    Swords Dance
    Outrage
    Earthquake

Come in on a sleeper, use Sub. I only SwDnc once, unless something can't break my sub. Maintaining the sub is very important. With SS and usually SR support, I can OHKO just about any pokemon. Garchomp usually sweeps. When she can't, I revenge kill with, and also battle Double Teamers with,

Lucario Modest @Choice Scarf

144/105/91/183/91/134 ev'd for SpAtt/252 and Speed/192

Aura Sphere
    Dark Pulse
    Hidden Power Ice 68
    Psychic

With this being my first run, I used Choice Specs until I had enough BP to buy a CScarf. I used to sacrifice my Hippo, on turn 2 anytime that I could, to get Garchomp in without losing a turn. Now, I preserve my Hippo when I can. I can use it, even if it's nearly dead, to refresh Lucario's CScarf. It's very rare that it needs to take out 2 pokemon, but it has happened. Once, early on he had to do a CSpecs'd reverse sweep, against a Mamoswine lead that woke quickly. These are the basics, Hail, Fissure(dead Hippo),Ice Fang(broken Garchomp sub)Snow Cloak(Garchomp misses), Ice Fang(dead Garchomp).

Almost all of my close calls have been from not paying attention, or from learning how to best play this team.
  8. trader

trader

Just posting to put my multi battle record.I lost on battle 56 with my team of

Lucario@F-Sash
    255 Sp atk/Speed
    Dark Pulse
    Aura Sphere
    Dragon Pulse
    Psychic

and

Gyarados@Leftovers
    255 HP/Def
    Waterfall
    DD
    Return
    Taunt

and my partner was always Riley.It was not my teams fault though,my Lucario got frozen on the first turn and never unfroze
  9. Shelcario

Shelcario

I really need to get back into the Battle Tower gig, haven't been in there for months:( Just made a new team but need to breed it now, ugh:(
  10. NickPresta

NickPresta

I recently hit 110 wins in single BT.

My Team:

Salamence @ CSpecs
    Standard SpecsMence

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Bold (252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA)
    SToss
    Ice Beam
    Softboiled
    TWave

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
    Standard Spiker Skarm

Had trouble with Infernape/Blaziken and strong mixed attackers.
  11. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Updated. 110 wins are needed to make top 30 in the single BT now.

you put as many EVs into speed as needed to hit a speed stat of 142 at level 50, which is the equivalent of 279 speed at level 100 (ideally with an IV of 31 in speed and a +sA nature you need 172 EVs), put the rest into HP

so...86HP/252sA/172speed is ithe best spread for a modest scarf typhlosion in the tower
  12. Nutty

Nutty

Only 168 EV''s are needed. The max speed in the battle tower is a Electrode with 416 speed (this is on level 100). Neutral speed Typlosion with 168 speed EV's reach 278 speed and with CS it reach 417. Enough te outspeed everything.
  13. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

nutty, the DP tower is lv.50 only...the fastest DP tower pokémon is an electrode with 211 speed...so you need 142 speed + scarf = 213 speed, which means 172 EVs

don´t correct my statements related to the tower...ever (j/k)
  14. JohnR011

JohnR011

Alright this team got me 152 consecutive wins in single BT before losing. It has also gotten me the current streak of 14 (Rank 10) in WiFi BT.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Timid: 252 SA, 252 SP, 4 HP
    Counter
    Destiny Bond
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
    Adamant: 252 HP, 252 AT, 4 SP
    Meteor Mash
    Bullet Punch
    Earthquake
    Explosion

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
    Adamant: 252 AT, 252 SP, 4 HP
    Earthquake
    Outrage
    Crunch
    Fire Fang

This team is simple to use - Gengar will normally take out the first two pokemon with ease by making use of his counter-sash and then executing destiny bond on the second pokemon. With a comfortable lead, Garchomp/Metagross are then sent in to take on the final opponent.
  15. -Marcel-

-Marcel-

Died at trainer 118 with this team. Got twice in a row QC by the Sheercolding Walrein.

[​IMG]
    Typhlosion@Choice Specs
    Modest Nature
    Ability: Blaze
    252Speed/252Special Attack/6HP

-Eruption
    -Flamethrower
    -HP Ice
    -Focus Blast
    [​IMG]
    Sp00ks@Focus Sash
    Timid Nature
    Ability: Levitate
    252Speed/252Special Attack/6HP

-Energy Ball
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Destiny Bond
    [​IMG]
    Sharky@Choice Scarf
    Adamant Nature
    Ability: Sand Veil
    252Attack/96Speed/160HP

-Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Fang
    -Rock Slide

New personal record: 117
  16. Ferdie

Ferdie

Tomorrow I try do my new record. I was thinking to use this kind of team:

Jirachi @ Damp Rock
    I haven't decided the nature or EVs. (help here!)
    - Rain Dance
    - Gravity
    - Thunder
    - U-Turn

Gravity is filler but it helps Kabutops' Stone Edge and Ludicolo's Hydro Pump.

Kabutops @ Lum Berry / Mystic Water
    Swift Swim.
    Adamant Nature l 252 Atk / 44 Spd / 214 HP (44 Spd hits 106)
    - SD
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Modest Nature l 252 SAtk / 124 Spd / 128 HP / 6 SDef (124 Spd hits 106)
    Swift Swim
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Energy Ball
    - Leech Seed

Can this work or is there too big problems? Would be nice to know before I start breeding.
    I just got legit Relaxed WISHMKR Jirachi from GTS. Is it usable?
  17. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Yeah, the big problem is that Jirachi is banned in the Battle Tower. You may want to try something else with Rain Dance/U-turn and give it a Focus Sash.
  18. Ferdie

Ferdie

Aww. :S
    I must find something else then who can use Rain Dance + Baton Pass/U-Turn.

Zapdos could work with U-Turn/Rain Dance/Thunder/Roost. Yes probably, it's good alternative. I need to be careful with rock moves.
  19. garo

garo

GREAT NEWS GUYS!!!!! at least for me lol
    i finally got my fifth star in pearl and with a great record at the battle tower 276 victories in a row, as i said i improved my tricker team and eureka here is it:

rotom@ choice scarf
    levitate
    bad IV
    252 hp / 49 def / 49 sp def / 160 spd
    timid
    trick
    thunder wave
    confuse ray
    shock wave

registeel@ leftovers
    clear body
    bad IV
    252 hp / 128 def / 128 sp def
    hardy
    iron head
    curse
    amnesia
    substitute

dragonite@ persim berry
    inner focus
    bad IV
    252 hp / 252 atk
    adamant
    outrage
    dragon dance
    roost
    substitute

unfortunately im pretty busy this week, so i will make a deeper and longer post in the next days, maybe sunday or monday. also can somebody tell me how to paste the proof picture in my post because the only way i find to do that is linking to an URL, but i want to display the picture right here (i took it with my 2Mpixels cel phone so it is barely readable)
  20. Lawman

Lawman

Put image tags around the url:

[IMG*][/*IMG]

remove the asterisks though
  21. cmg474

cmg474

I'm thinking of trying some more BT soon so I made this. Might be helpful for some of you:
    http://cole474.freehostia.com/battletower.xls

You enter your attack stats and the data for your moves+item. The sheet then calculates the average damage against everything in the tower for those 4 moves (both neutral and x2 effective).

The interface isn't that great but it works :\
    The example Pokemon is Azelf @ Life Orb with Psychic/T-bolt/Explosion/Hidden Power.
    Made it in Excel 2003. I don't know if it will work in other versions.
  22. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

I just decided to start a new run after probably 6 months of saying I was going to give it another go, I did the first 7 battles 3-0 every time (obviously). The team looked solid on paper but once I got to battling I saw some problems that will surely arise as I advance in the BT. Hopefully I can get some luck on my side, though if a battle with a Mantyke is foreshadowing anything it looks like I will have 0 luck at all. I'll keep you guys updated as I progress.
  23. JohnR011

JohnR011

I've been battling some in the wifi battle tower and I will challenge different rooms randomly, but whenever I try to re-challenge a room it says "you may not challenge this room until the next update." What do I have to do or how long do I have to wait for the next update?
  24. RaikouLover

RaikouLover

Yeah, so I'm currently rampaging through the Battle Tower and everything appears to be green. Haven't had any nailbiting battles and I'm at around 60 or so. Really I just posted to brag about my team and how I hope to make the list...

Quilfish @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    *Waterfall
    *Poison Jab
    *Rain Dance
    *Explosion

Yeah so I run the same Quilfish with Taunt on my Shoddy team, and its effective against humans, so its ridiculously effective in BT. The strategy is to Rain Dance on turn 1, and the Focus Sash saves me from everything, barring the occasional Thunderbolt para hax (I just switch to Garchomp anyway). In 63 battles, Quilfish has succeeded in Rain Dancing and Exploding to kill at least 1 pokemon... 62 times. I like those odds. The strategy really for me is to win the game with Quilfish, as if I can "steal" a kill before Exploding, I essentially am up 2 to 1, with the two most powerful dragons in the game behind me.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Nature: Rash
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA
    *Surf
    *Waterfall
    *Dragon Pulse
    *Rain Dance

If you think Kingdra is a lot to handle in OU, imagine how bad he will fuck up the AI. Rain Dance is there more or less for safety reasons, as I usually still have 3 turns left from Quilfish's rain, and that is plenty to win the game. Between Surf and Waterfall, I successfully outspeed everything in the Battle Tower and it is at worst, a 2HKO on every non-water resist in the game. Hell, he OHKOs 80% of them already. Dragon Pulse is powerful STAB, and should at least 2HKO anything that resists Water. While this damage is all fine and dandy, Kingdra's real selling point is that the only thing OHKOing him is going to be... OHKO moves, as dragons won't get a chance to even move. Needless to say, this guy pretty much cleans up every match for me easily. Standard Kingdra's use speed EVs, but remember Kingdra is hitting 412 with none... plenty for BT.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Sand Veil
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
    *Outrage
    *Earthquake
    *Crunch
    *Aerial Ace

Whats a Battle Tower team without Jumpman's marvelous Garchomp? I actually used to use Jolteon in this slot for Thunderdance abuse, but Garchomp's bulk, power, and reliability won him the spot. If Kingdra and Quilfish for some reason can't finish a match, Garchomp can take any pokemon one on one. He also acts as my safe switch into leading electric types, because I do not want to fuck with para hax. Aerial Ace is for annoying DTers, and saved my ass once. However, every move on my team is 100% accurate... Yeah... theyre just that good.

If you guys have any advice... let me know. Rate / hate / steal.

EDIT: Yeah so just when I'm completely psyched about this team dominating, I lose in a terrible fashion just before I hit 80. I'm up, 2 to 1 against a last pokemon Slowbro. Quilfish had succeed in taking out a Jynx and Exploding on a Mime, so naturally I think its over. But the next few turns look like this...

Kingdra used Dragon Pulse (70% Damage),
    Kingdra loses 10% health (90% health)
    Slowbro used Trick Room!
    Slowbro used Psychic! (Critical Hit!!!, 90% Damage)
    Kingdra faints!
    Go Garchomp!
    Slowbro used Ice Beam! (100% Damage)

Game over... WTF Just happened???
  25. JohnR011

JohnR011

Alright I completed 79 straight battles in the WiFi Battle Tower on Rank 10 before losing. The team I used was the same as my singles battle tower team -

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Timid: Levitate
    252 SA, 252 SP, 4 HP
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Counter
    -Destiny Bond

This was probably the most useful member of my team. Gengar would usually take out at least two of the opponent's pokemon either by using shadow ball/thunderbolt or by making use of his counter-sash and then destiny bonding the next. After Gengar had served his purpose, I usually had either already won the match or it was a 2-1 situation.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
    Adamant: Clear Body
    252 AT, 252 HP, 4 SP
    -Meteor Mash
    -Bullet Punch
    -Earthquake
    -ThunderPunch

There are several things that I wanted to do to deviate from the set I normally use in bt for Metagross. First I gave him a lum berry as he was my only real thing keeping me from a Yanmega sweep. Next I gave him ThunderPunch over explosion because I liked having another accurate, non self destructing move to be able to fall back on when earthquake and meteor mash weren't good options to use. On this team, Metagross only really had one job and that was to make good use of his priority move. If things went as planned, and they normally did, Gengar could take out the first two, Metagross could come in next and at the very least hit them with bullet punch to break any sashes so that Garchomp could come in and take out his last pokemon.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
    Adamant: Sand Veil
    252 AT, 252 SP, 4 HP
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Crunch
    -Fire Fang

Garchomp never actually saw much playing time, but when he did, he got the job done. With a scarf and very strong, stab moves, he easily took on whatever was left.

This team lost against a counter-sash Tyranitar, Garchomp, and a double - teaming Cresselia, an annoyance to say the least.

Here is the picture, the proof of my streak - it says I am on Rank 9 but that's because once you lose once in Rank 10 you drop in rank.

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn251/JohnR011/?action=view&current=2008-06-15-07091.jpg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)