1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ondore

Ondore

You can use something like ImageShack to host the photo.
  2. FastHippo

FastHippo

My team from page 19, post #457 is currently at 168 wins.

Hippowdon @ Focus Sash
    Garchomp @ Lum Berry
    Lucario @ Choice Scarf

I seemed to have found another error in the database. Not an error, Peterko explains below.

Heatran 4 Quiet Brightpowder 187 131 126 188 126 87 Explosion Magma Storm Dark Pulse Flash Cannon

It outsped my speed 99 Hippo.

I forgot to mention, for only the second time during my run, a pokemon switched. The first was a sleeping Natural Cure Blissey. In this one, Registeel Double Teamed, twice. I Yawned and used Earthquake. I switched to Garchomp, Sub, SD, EQ missed. After EQ, it switched to Latios. I was surprised and pleased that I didn't have to keep trying to hit it.

Peterko, thanks for the explanation in #503
  3. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

that´s not a mistake...remember personalities are random in the tower to an extent

- speed personality (quiet as in the database): 87 speed
    neutral personality: 97 speed
    + speed personality: 106 speed (beats your hippo)

there you go...I´ll update your record next time :p
  4. Sudo

Sudo

Nicely done on both the streak and the detailed post, but how were you able to use Dragonite in the Battle Tower, when it reaches its final evolution at level 55? Does the BT automatically lower the level for exceptions such as Dragonite and Tyranitar?
  5. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Yes, the DP battle tower is nice in that any pokemon over level 50 is automatically brought down for you and is playable. Anything under level 50 will keep its level though.
  6. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Alrighty, I haven't actually made it a secret that I don't use my Lopunny team from battles 1-49, where time is most of the essence because the opposition you face is largely horrible. However, it has become clear to me that my Starmie/Tyranitar/Garchomp team is not exactly the best way to get through those battles that still consume a good dea of time.

I recently lost my streak at 170 to a mishandled foe Latios, which by itself is annoying, but not as annoying as striving to get back to Battle 50 only to lose at Battle ~25 to the same shit that made your team lose at Battle 203 months ago: a QC Megahorn. This time it was from Seaking, on which, just as with Rhydon, I can't skillfully switch in Garchomp since not even Outrage is guaranteed to OHKO a 252 HP EV (and 31 IV) Seaking, even if locking into Outrage on Turn 2 were a good idea. I then lost as Battle 41 up 3-2 with a ~40% Tyranitar with Lapras comes out. I refuse to Rock Slide, even though Tyra has no Attack boosts. I Crunch it to like 64% and it Surfs me to death and I bring out Starmie. Though I wasn't expecting Wacan Berry, it doesn't matter because Psychic would barely have done more (135 vs 114), and not even Garchomp would be guaranteed a OHKO on the ~58% (after Sand Stream) with Outrage, "even if locking into Outrage" were a good idea with one poke left...which happened to be Metagross anyway, which is kind of proving my point that this team isn't as foolproof as I'd like for my 1-49 battles.

So, under my impression that it's much better to use a fast team for the batles that largely "don't matter", which is why i'm not using my Lopunny team from the start, I have decided to scrap my Star/Tar/Chomp team for one less susceptible to the "hax" that made me scrap it for post-49 play in the first place, and those hax are mainly CHes. I've wanted to whore a Sash poke forever, so this is actually a team I came up with not long after my Starmie team and long before my Lopunny Team. I'm pasting it because I feel like it and also maybe you guys can nitpick it and rate it, lol:

Lucario @ Focus Sash (M) ** Cairo
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 4HP / 252Atk / 252Spd
    Nature: Adamant
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Extremespeed
    ~ Shadow Claw
    ~ Swords Dance

Shadow Claw over Crunch only because I had an EV-trained one with 31/31 AtkSpd IVs and the entire point was to get this team up asap and Lucario is probably the most annoying poke to breed, period. Anyway I actually came up with this set in early January of 2007 after thinking of the pokemon that would love the Focus Sash we'd just all learned about the most, and I told skarm about it excitedly and came up with an "Epyptian Sun God" name that playss off the real one. Obviously Stealth Rock has long since shelved the efficacy of this strategy in actual 6-on-6 play, but as far as 3-on-3 is concerned, this may rival the infamous Gengar set in how effectively a pokemon can use a Sash.

I purposely did not give a shit about the IVs besides Atk and Spd because of both the beauty of Focus Sash and the side effect of Close Combat: if I am going to reduce my defenses to crap prety much every time with CC (since it's stronger even 2× resisted at 90 BP than obviously ES and either a neutral Crunch (80 BP )or Shadow Claw (70BP), and if I have a foolproof "you can't OHKO me" in Focus Sash, and a fantastic priority move in Extremespeed, then the defenses virtually don't matter. Anyway first I CC everything that I think will die to it, which is alot from Battles 1-49. It's better to do that than risking status or the negation of my Sash, which virtually every pokemon is capable of. Otherwise I SD, only caring about status or stupid stuff like DT or Confuse Ray. Pretty simple stuff, but it cannot be underlined enough how sick a STAB CC from "350 Attack" (181 at Lv50) is when you don't care about lowering your defenses because of Focus Sash. Extremespeed also serves to negate any enemy Sashes if I think the opposing poke is faster and my own Sash is negated, and it also serves to get an assured dent at the very least in anything that may have a Quick Claw because Extremespeed is a huge "fuck you" to Quick Claw.

Latios @ Choice Specs (M) ** badmemorie
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4HP / 252SpA / 252Spd
    Nature: Modest
    ~ Dragon Pulse
    ~ Draco Meteor
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Thunderbolt

skarm gave me this a while ago, don't remember the IVs besides Speed (31) and SpA (30). This is absolute murder even with just Dragon Pulse—everything with the defenses of Porygon-Z (Base 85 HP, Base 75 SpD, no EVs in either) is guarateed to die, and this is assuming 31 IVs for both HP and SpD and also minimum damage (exactly 100% damage minimum to the above P-Z). Draco Meteor is there if I need it though I haven't had to yet, but may for crap like Metagross if I get a big enough dent in it (DM does 67% max, TB would do 59%). Boltbeam is standard fare, though I toyed with stuff like Shadow Ball for Dusknoir and Surf/Grass Knot for Tyranitar but ultimately decided Gyarados needed to die instantly if I ever faced the DD one with Ice Fang, and that Grass pokes needed to die ASAP before statusing Latios (and I'd rather not have to use DM if I don't have to even if it's more powerful).

The only other "fixable flaw" my team has aside from Crunch on Lucario is going with Timid over Modest, which I actually spent quite some time theorymoning in March mainly because of this:

800 Froslass Timid Expert Belt Ice Beam Shadow Ball Thunderbolt Destiny Bond Sp. Atk/Speed

Since not even Crunch would OHKO this without +2 attack, this is one of the few reasons to want max HP/SpD on Lucario so it can take 2 TBs 100% of the time and therefore 2HKO with the only attack that can hit Froslass. But even with my ~27HP/~20SpD IVs, TB will never 2HKO at 100%. Or, to be more accurate in the interests of slowly getting to my point, TB would only have a chance of 2HKOing my Luke if Froslass were Modest...which means that my Modest Latios would then tie it at absolute worst assuming a 31 Speed IV...which hardly matters because even if I lose the speed tie this Froslass has a less than 2/3 chance of OHKOing with IB even with Expert Belt. Since the AI has decided not to set Natures in stone, I'm less worried about things like "Timid" Gengar and "Timid" Froslass and "Jolly" Garchomp (which all get owned by my Gyarados anyway), and can therefore gleefully opt to whore the sheer power of Modest Specs Latios.

Gyarados @ Leftovers (M) ** I'll lead...
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 212HP / 16Atk / 180Def / 100Spd
    Nature: Adamant
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Return
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Taunt

What an absolute bitch to deal with. Taunt is as good as SwitchScarfing opponents without the added liability that comes with voluntarily boosting their speed. You'll notice the EVs indicate a very Bulkydos, for good reason because this still OHKOs pretty much everything at +6 Attack. Return's here for great coverage of course, though I will Taunt pretty much everything that takes NVE damage from Waterfall or that I don't have enough DDs to OHKO. With my EVs, Leftovers and the AI's inability to learn after being Taunted earlier (granting additional Lefties recovery literally every time Taunt wears off), I seriously rarely even get under 50% HP before getting three, four or even six DDs.

So there we go...all of my pokemon are capable of sweeping on their own, which is fun, and both better at sweeping on their own and in general more fun than my Star/Tar/Chomp team. Most importantly, this wins faster than my Star/Tar/Chomp team as well, in addition to utilizing the best/most broken item in the BT in Focus Sash. Things I particularly hate facing with this team are DT and status, but I can usually attack before/get (why am I using so many slahes) around those pretty well.

If I want to I will whore this team after battle 56 where I currently am now, but I don't think I want to try my luck...I may under the pretense of actually wanting to play with this team because I really like it. The aforementioned Froslass is one of the few pokemon that "can" "threaten" my team, but it dies to twice-DDed Gyarados so I know to always get two DDs when I can, etc. There aren't really too many other threats I picked out when theorymoning this hardcore in March so I may just use this team to get to 100 and see how it does. Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever lost in between battles 22-48, so if one wants to copy a team that will safely and quickly get you back up to Battle 50 in the interests of time, feel free to steal this one.
  7. Invective

Invective

well, my battle tower streak ended at 130. im telling you this because im currently tied for last place with gouki for single battle tower and i dont wanna get knocked off the list next.
    streak ended cuz the other lead was weavile, i switched to chomp who took some night slash damage, i EQ, it crits, he hangs on, i get Ice punch critted for the lose. i switch in Tar and switch to starmie for the Brick Break, takes piddly damage, and weavile dies to sandstorm. next comes armaldo, who takes a surf from starmie, survives (prolly cuz of SS), and swords dances. next two turns, QC activates, and he x scissors starmie and EQ crits my tar. i didnt even get to the third member. dammit.
    anyways, 130 is my new record.
  8. FastHippo

FastHippo

You're supposed to switch in 'tar first, and then 'chomp.
  9. Groombridge

Groombridge

A grab-bag of BT action!

First up, here's the team that got to Rank 5 in the Wi-Fi room, despite its phenomenal Weavile weakness! I just love getting spanked by Weavile; it turns me on.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
    Adamant, 252atk, 52 spd, 100hp, 100def or something
    ==
    Avalanche
    Ice Shard
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake

I wanted to try a sort of Countersash Mamo, so this team was more of a test run for this set. The difference with Avalanche as opposed to a real Countersasher is that Avalanche always does damage, and powers up against both physical and special moves, although it can be resisted. It hits at a boosted 180BP after STAB - against Gyarados, that's stronger than SE Rock Slide (150BP) and nearly as strong as Stone Edge (200BP) - but with superior accuracy.

This thing OHKOs all kinds of things, since the AI just can't resist trying to take advantage of Mamo's weaknesses - which leads to epic spankage.

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
    Adamant, 252atk, 252 spd, 6hp
    ==
    Dragon Dance
    Crunch
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake

Look familiar?

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
    Adamant, 252atk, 108spd, 148hp
    ==
    Aerial Ace
    Outrage
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake

Tyranitar's favourite groupie. This uses both Outrage and Dragon Claw since there are times when you don't want to get locked into Outrage. I never actually used Fire Blast, so what the hell.

Here's how I got to Rank 5.

Rank 4, room ?, battle 7

Other guy: Latios
    Me: Mamoswine

Hell yeah. It's things like this that need the Avalanche. This should be an easy kill, although Mamo will prolly be at 1hp at the end of it. Hit me, big boy.

Latios used Draco Meteor!
    Mamoswine held on with its Focus Sash!
    Mamoswine opened the Ark of the Covenant!
    Latios' face melted!

Nice. Now, let's see if Mamo can put a dent in whatever comes next...

Other guy: Shedinja
    Me: moribund Mamoswine

Er, okay. How does one get to Rank 4 with a Shedinja? I saw an opposing Tyranitar, like, every other battle.

Tyranitar switched in!
    Shedinja used Shadow Sneak!
    Tyranitar doesn't care!
    Shedinja died of shame!

So far, so good. I bet the next thing out is a Weavile, though. That would just be perfect.

Other guy: Tyranitar
    Me: slightly shop-soiled Tyranitar

W the F? This guy ran a TTar and Shedinja on the same team?

My dude used Earthquake!
    His dude just about survived!
    Then his dude used Earthquake!
    But my dude died!
    Oh noes!

Other guy: near-dead TTar
    Me: near-dead Mamoswine

Finish him!

Mamoswine used Ice Shard Uppercut!
    Tyranitar was knocked off the off the level and got totally impaled on spikes and shit!

And that ridiculous 'battle' got me to Rank 5, best streak 14. The team may have sucked balls as a whole, but I haven't really got into the Wi-Fi Room just yet. At least I know that Sash Mamoswine with Avalanche inflicts mega-death.

--

I've been trying out a BT Infernape set. Forgot the exact EVs, but it's something like this...

Infernape @ Focus Sash
    Lonely, 252spd, 128atk, 126sp.atk
    ==
    Fake Out
    Thunderpunch
    Close Combat
    Overheat

Its big STAB moves are the main attraction, with Fake Out to help get things into kill range and break Sashes. One-on-one, it kills practically anything, since it can Fake Out, CC/Overheat, survive, then hit again. Thunderpunch is for Gyarados, pretty much. Overheat is there mostly to mess up physical walls.

This is currently leading my team through singles, and it's doing pretty well. Fuck you, Weavile! Where's your Sash now, bitch? Yeah, what? What? Aerial Ace? I don't give a fuck about Aerial Ace. Brick Break? Don't give a fuck. Ice Punch? Night Slash? X-Scissor? Get the fuck outta here! Brrrrap!

Although Starmie gives it some trouble, Fake Out and a Thunderpunch or two proves highly effective. Flying Dragons are also bad news, but Stone Edge over Thunderpunch would work if you don't mind the lower accuracy.
  10. FastHippo

FastHippo

I'm at 273 victories. I'll edit here, until the next update, or if I lose.
  11. DeLorean

DeLorean

After hitting a solid 212 victories (done in by a seemingly impossible team of 332 crawdaunt and other similarly irritating pokemon) , I'm retiring from the battle tower as champion with this fairly well constructed team.

One thing I was a little worried about with this team is a fairly obvious weakness to psychic types, and this is one thing I never got around to fixing. Honestly, it was quite a big problem (especially against 892 meta and 947 latios) but I could use gengar as a sacrifice. Yeah, it's not good practice, and I probably should have fixed it. If you want to use this team, You should use something like spiritomb in there.

Anyway.

[​IMG]
    Salamence (M) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 110 HP/252 Atk/148 Spd
    Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Substitute
    - Roost

A pretty good lead for the old battle tower. Roost and sub mean a good set of longetivity. This is pretty much how I respond to all forms of status, plus this makes a good switch in to most sub-par attackers. Simple to use, simple to execute, and got me through the first sixty or fifty battles.

There is no method to my madness when it comes to an EV spread, but I got some good even numbers out of that which I never bothered to change. :/
    ---

[​IMG]
    Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 40 Atk/252 Spd/216 SAtk
    Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hypnosis
    - Shadow Ball
    - Explosion
    - [HP]Ice

Really the highlight of this team. Hypnosis, Focus Sash, and Explosion pretty much guarantees that I can incapacitate 2 pokemon and, this is how I manage to get rid of cresselia. I'm running a little attack for the hell of it. Its pretty good, but It's so vital to m team that sacrificing it seems like a bit of a waste. However, I did get far by tag teaming between this and lucario. Amazing, and works like a charm in BT.
    ---

[​IMG]
    Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Extremespeed
    - Swords Dance
    - Shadow Claw

A damn fine cleaner in the battle tower. Snaps well between itself and gengar to take out most opposition. I'm running shadow claw to make an unresisted combonation, and really brute force of shadow claw and CC and the cleaning propierties of extreme speed make a good finisher for BT.
  12. FastHippo

FastHippo

Well, my streak is still active and I've surpassed 273. Unfortunately, my digital camera sucks. Once my streak is over, I'll see if I can borrow a camera with better resolution.
  13. Eersnot

Eersnot

I was on my 98th battle. When I cam across a shiny Electrode. I though to myself yes easy win since I led with Tyranitar, the most it could is Thunder or Explosion which wont hurt much. Next thing you know it hits me with Sheer Cold :( I sent out my Scarfchomp I Earthquake but it hangs on with a Focus Sash and then it Sheer Colds, Chomp is dead. I sen out Blissey next and it ko's with Sheer Cold.
    That was the closest i've ever gotten to a 100 win streak, but it was ruined by an asshole. I didnt even think you could take hacks to the Battle Tower.
  14. titan11

titan11

how can he hang on with a sash if electrode was already hit by t-tars sandstorm
  15. tennisace

tennisace brock you like a hurricane
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

It was probably a Focus BAND.
  16. notorious

notorious

if it held on with focus band it would still not be able to kill blissey since it would have gotten hit by the sanstorm at the end of the one turn

EDIT: also it would be almost impossible to hit garchomp in a sanstorm with sheer cold
  17. Eersnot

Eersnot

It obviously had No guard -_- I just wanted to point out the crucial parts of the story it might have been focus band i also didn't mention it rain danced but I didn't think that would be important still it got pretty pissed of.
  18. notorious

notorious

Sorry missed the part where you said it was hacked lol.
  19. swordmaster789

swordmaster789

Oh, doesn't sheer cold and other ohko moves ignore evasion modifiers? *or does sand veil not count as that?
  20. Jumpman16

is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

sheer cold had 30% accuracy unless electrode had no guard, sand veil didn't factor

and as i'm sure i said somewhere earlier in this thread, the reality of cheating in the wifi tower has preventing me from even beginning to care about it again, it's just not worth it
  21. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Eersnot, you managed 98 straight wins in the Wi-Fi Battle Tower?
  22. Eersnot

Eersnot

Yeah but thats nothing compared to the 900 something that guy got.
  23. Jumpman16

i think you're a little confused, the Wifi Tower and the Battle Tower are two completely different areas. you talk to the girl on the right for the wifi tower and the girl in the middle for the battle tower. if you managed 98 straight wins in the wifi tower that may actually still be impressive, i wouldn't know though
  24. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

98 in the Wi-Fi Tower is probably very impressive.. I haven't tried that much yet though due to the amount of cheaters who upload teams.

Also posting to say I've finally got past 100 wins with the Starmie/Tyranitar/Garchomp team (119), but don't update my score until I lose... I'll post again when I eventually do.
  25. Eersnot

Eersnot

Yeah i was in rank 14 on my last battle when i lost. Now im in rank 12.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)