1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtansley

wtansley

Recently got into the haxtower again, made a few attempts with:

Starmie @ Focus Sash
    Modest
    HP 6 / SpAtt 252 / Speed 252
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Psychic

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Adamant
    HP 50 / Att 252 / Speed 208
    - Spore
    - Substitute
    - Seed Bomb
    - Focus Punch

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    Modest
    HP 6 / SpAtt 252 / Speed 252
    - Flamethrower
    - Earth Power
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Explosion

Best streak so far is 94. The reason I lost is this:

875 Crobat Adamant Payapa Berry Brave Bird Cross Poison X-Scissor Confuse Ray Atk/Speed

It came out second I think and Starmie was at 1 HP. I knew it would outspeed so I thought I'd preserve a Starmie hit for the last one and switched to Heatran, as it walls all Crobat in there [or so I thought]. So Heatran comes in, takes a Brave Bird pretty well [less than 1/4 damage] but then it did Confuse Ray and Heatran hit itself in confusion 3 or so times until it died. There is not much I could have done, as the Crobat outpaces all 3 of my pokes, would have finished Starmie off had I switched and confused Heatran again, and would OHKO Breloom.

On other attempts I've also found this a huge pain:

921 Cresselia Bold Lum Berry Double Team Moonlight Toxic Psychic HP/Def/Sp. Def

The best thing I can do is have Heatran take however many psychics while I try to crithax or burn with flamethrower. Last time Heatran took about 7 psychics until it died and then I was able to switch in Breloom, and keep Subbing until he was out of Psychics. After that I was able to eventually come out on top. However, on another occasion this thing came out last when I only had Heatran at like 40 HP left and Breloom almost dead, and it finished me off.

This team isn't totally ideal for haxtower seeing as Starmie should probably be Timid, and Breloom with max speed. The reason Breloom isn't is that I built the team with Wifi 6v6 battling in mind and Breloom doesn't outspeed anything significant above the given EVs, but I don't know about haxtower pokes. I could rebreed for those but I'm lazy, and the ones I have have decent IVs [26-31 in offensive stats/speed]. It's quite fun to use though. The basic strategy is finding the right opportunity to switch in Breloom and set up. Once behind a Sub, Breloom will beat almost anything in there 1v1 unless the foe is faster and resists Focus Punch and Seed Bomb [see Mence or Crobat for an example of this] or holds Lum/Chesto. Starmie hits most things hard with its coverage, and its sash allows me a little insurance against QC and OHKO moves. Usually I keep Starmie in on turn 1, even if I suspect it'll be hit with a SE move, since I only like switching to Breloom/Heatran if either of them can completely wall the foe [Heatran can be surprisingly good at this but hates the ever common EQ, and Breloom is pretty weak defensively so could easily die from a CH move it resists, like Thunder or EQ from a strong attacker]. After Starmie dies or takes a hit, I check the database [having seen the move and possibly item] for the exact poke I'm facing and decide if I can safely outspeed and set up with Breloom, or just 2HKO with another Starmie hit. Same again, and if Breloom still can't switch in Heatran can finish it off. The last poke can usually be dealt with between Heatran/Breloom.
  2. Kilua

Kilua

It's not a record but I want to celebrate the 100th win! The streak is still going, so when i reach the top 30 I'll post a pic.

Reached battle 105
    Breelom @ toxic orb ** NINJA
    Ability: poison heal
    EVs: 252Hp/ 4Def/ 252Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    ~ Spore
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Seed Bomb
    ~ Focus Punch
    Sleep, poison, substititue he is the star of the show! The strategy is simple: first use your genjutsu, then use kawarimi no jutsu and finaly select focus punch screaming: RASENGAN!!! (or maybe not...)
    Jokes apart he basicaly obliterate any slower opponent, so max speed. Max hp has saved me a lot of time (take that quick claw!) and you can take all the time you want to kill the opponent when he is sleeping and you have a sub up, so max attack evs are not needed.
    N.B: It's very important to finish an opponent when you have the sub!

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural cure
    EVs: 252Def/ 252Hp/ 4SpDef
    Nature: Bold
    ~ Ice beam
    ~ Calm Mind
    ~ Counter
    ~ Softboiled
    Strange set, don't you think? With calm mind I nevar lost to a special attacker, even focus blast gengar and a porygon-Z that froze me 3 times and CHed twice. Ice beam is the only move that can hit everything and CM can overcome the resistances. Softboiled is obvious and counter take care of physical treats (pay attention to not use counter against pokemon that can stat-up).

Garchomp@ choice scarf ** Swiffer
    Ability: sand veil
    EVs: 252Atk/ 160Def/ 96Spd
    Nature: Adamant
    ~ Outrage
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Dragon Claw
    ~ Aerial ace
    Something went wrong? Clean with swiffer! I'm not sure about the evs, I know more hp would be better for general bulkiness, but all my special sponging needs are took by blissey and the only special hit it should take is infernape's flametower, but maybe hp are just better; and speed is standard but needs some seriou calculations against DDer: anyone know if the opponenent's iv are random or fixed to 31? The two last attack are fiiller, stone edge is inaccurate and don't guarantee the OHKO on gyarados, regarding fire fang skarmory and bronzong are breelom set up fodder and crunch is situattional at best.So I use dragon claw to ko dragons and weak flying targets without being looked and arial ace as an assurance against DT.

OVERAL STRATEGY
    Kill everything with Brellom! It's almost that simple
    If you can spore, sub, kill do it, if the opponent's leader is faster or has a lum/chesto berry AND can OHKO (there are less pokemon that can do that than you think) switch, you should run even for a 2HKO: CHs are not your friends! The most problematic pokemon are from less to most dangerous: mamoswine, cresselia, salamance, dragonite, weavile, rhyperior and jink (yes jynx, are you scared?)

The first two are not dangerous if you know what to do: remember that mamoswine can have salack berry, as i often overlooked, so OHKO him with focus punch instead to egg bomb it trying to be sure to save the sub. Concerning cresselia the safest way is stalling her out of pp if she is the 921 with toxic and double team, boring but you will end with the sub up. The other pokemon if you are unluky can be a pain, however you can handle them. Dragons: ice beam. Weavile: counter. Rhyperior: standard spore,sub,kill; but if he is the 741 pray! Pray he doesen't select horn drill (most of the time he doesn't) and if he does pray for a miss! Jynx: she is a bitch! You must switch to Blissey, and if she has mean luck, perish song... bye bye pink ball! Fortunatly she won't be a treat for the remaining team.
    The good news on this team is that if something goes wrong everyone can 3-0 the opponent lonly and garchomp can stop an endure+reversal that setupped with a bit of hax. The only close call I had was when Rhyperior horn drilled Breelom and Garchomp, but after that Blissey defeted the enemies by herself. Any suggestion about Garchomp's evs and moveset is welcome!
  3. McLovinn

McLovinn

I wanted to note that it is actually possible to change your record with an AR, by creating a code on Pokésav. I'm not saying that he definitely has, but its possible that he could have. And we all know the problems we've had in the past with German hackers.
  4. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

pretty sure we all know that, peterko took his record off the top so we could stop talking about it

it is funny to note how steeped in honesty this thread is though, i've been chasing 330 for the last few months when i could have hacked or photoshopped a record like 362 by now and none of you would have any reason not to believe me, lol
  5. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

you could have, but you didn´t...that´s what matters

and honestly, I don´t see a reason why a person would want to be listed with a record he/she didn´t achieve (except for being a complete moron), I mean there´s no logic behind that

you wouldn´t be proud of your "achievement" jump and I know you´re one of the few people that actually care about in-game play and tower/frontier in general

btw. you should try double battle someday :)

also, I have updated the list yesterday
  6. shipship

shipship

My team of Tyranitar (Jolly Dragon Dancer), Garchomp (SD Yache) and Bronzong (CM boosting tank) is up to 252 wins. Still undefeated. I know it's only a matter of time before I get haxed, but so far so good. :)
  7. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

double battle streak: 134 (my record is 135 lol)

played just for fun

metagross @ occa berry (adamant)
    - meteor mash
    - earthquake
    - bullet punch
    - explosion

zapdos @ brightpowder (rash)
    - thunderbolt
    - hidden power ice 67
    - drill peck
    - protect

-> the best doubles duo in emerald by far, still the best IMO despite no physical shadowball and with a weaker quake...only 1HKO attacks can 1HKO metagross, beats all fire types except moltres/charizard where zapdos helps
    -> if there´s a fire type I quake and thunderbolt at the same time (for example entei), if there´s a STAB rock or ice I try to take it out with meta and zapdos protects or they both attack turn1...bullet punch really saves zapdos against the likes of jynx and froslass because MM could miss

gyarados @ wacan (adamant)
    - waterfall
    - ice fang
    - earthquake
    - dragon dance

azelf @ life orb (timid)
    - psychic
    - fire blast
    - grass knot
    - shadow ball

-> I don´t know, but these two clean up pretty damn well...the team overall is better than the one I achieved 135 with, but it´s always hard when you face a lucky AI bastard like

battle #135
    trainer: PI Chester

metazap VS glalie & probopass
    TURN 1: zapdos protect, metagross MM, glalie fainted, probopass rock polish, in comes whiscash
    TURN 2: probopass stone edge 45% to zapdos, zapdos thunderbolt + metagross earthquake, probopass fainted, whiscash at 80% HP used amnesia, in comes pinsir
    - trying to take out the rest with explosion
    TURN 3: zapdos protect, pinsir guillotine #1, metagross fainted, whiscash fissure doesn´t affect zapdos, my azelf comes in
    TURN 4: azelf psychic, pinsir at 5% HP, pinsir guillotine #2, zapdos fainted, whiscash spark paralyzed azelf, my gyarados comes in
    TURN 5: pinsir guillotine #3, azelf fainted (FUCK 3/3 hit), gyarados waterfall, pinsir fainted, whiscash spark, gyarados at 80% HP
    TURN 6: gyarados waterfall, whiscash spark, gyara at 35%, cash at 40%
    TURN 7: gyarados waterfall, cash at 1%, whiscash spark, gyarados fainted

haxed out pretty badly...the only "mistake" was maybe not risking the azelf fire blast against the guillorape pinsir, but it missed the last time I faced the same pinsir a few battles ago so I don´t see it as a mistake...incredibly close despite major bad luck on my side
  8. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

I can't see why either, but people cheat, steal, murder, take steroids to win, and do all sorts of other things all the time that to the ordinary person appear to neither have short term or long term fulfillment. History is so full of precedents like this that when it comes to a video game, people don't go through the whole protocol of wondering "Well, why would they want to do this anyway?" It's just assumed. A person might win a tournament by pointing out some technicality that disqualifies the other player; whatever the opponent did may not have given him any unfair advantage or ultimately changed the outcome, and the player may therefore win by something other than his own merit, but that's all he wanted: to win. Some people just want to be on top.

I'm going to back out before I get pinned to a side in the VipStar deal (I really don't have a side, I don't care about it at all). I just wanted to point out that this kind of thing does happen, in spite of how a competitively 'balanced' person sees the immediate satisfaction in honorable gameplay.

And I guess it is a little odd coming from me when I haven't even submitted a pic yet. Every one I've taken has come out blurry, and the numbers can't be identified. Does anyone have any advice on how and by what to take a clear photo?
  9. zapdragon14

zapdragon14

I've been attempting the battle tower lately but things aren't going well. I made it to 39 last night (my record -_-;)...

...I thought I could win it because judging by the amount of damage waterfall did to my swampert, it WOULDN'T KO the next turn. But guess what? Instead of doing 98hp like last time, the feraligatr pulls of an extra seven hp and down goes swampert. No crit. No defence drop/attack boost in between.

Grrr Stupid min/max damage...
  10. SnK-arcbound

SnK-arcbound

Win Streak: 79 /cry

[​IMG]

Azelf/Naive
    Focus Sash
    36atk/252spatk/220spd
    Psychic
    Flamethrower
    Grass Knot
    Explosion

[​IMG]

Lucario/Adamant(m)
    Life Orb
    4hp/252atk/252spd
    Close Combat
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    ExtremeSpeed

[​IMG]

Garchomp/Jolly(f)
    Choice Band
    252atk/4spdef/252spd
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Fire Fang
    Crunch

So sad losing. Switch to Chomp from a latios lead, and it uses draco meteor -_-, Luc didn't ohko with crunch and dies to psychic, then azelf dies to flamethrower icebeam from moltres/articuno.

Azelf can sweep or kill atleast two (in most cases) by himself, which leaves chomp and luc to finish off the last guy. My coverage is lacking against fire/dragon/psychic on azelf :( .
  11. rivershark

rivershark

I used Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno with all 999 stats I have 368 wifi wins.
  12. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well done?
  13. Mailman

Mailman

yay new sig
  14. Shelcario

Shelcario

15. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I haven't been doing a great deal of Pokemon-related stuff lately but breeding and playtesting this team has ensured that I've been getting my fix. This team was inspired by Jumpman16's Lopunny sacrificing, Substitute abusing team and I've managed to get comfortably over 100, but I'm determined to get higher so all pointers appreciated.

Uxie @ Focus Sash
    Bold
    252 HP/ 180 Def/ 76 SpA
    - Yawn
    - Memento
    - Psychic
    - Sunny Day

This spot has formerly been occupied by a Yawn/Baton Pass Umbreon and a Yawn/U-Turn Uxie with Lagging Tail but this set seems to have the highest chance of ensuring a successful set up (although it's also by far the most risky). 9 times out of 10, Uxie will lead with a Yawn, then hit the opponent with Memento as they fall asleep, leaving my sweeper to come in for free against a sleeping, -2 Atk, - 2 SpA Pokemon. Focus Sash seems odd on a Pokemon this bulky but it ensures I get off at least a Yawn on hard-hitters like Heracross and OHKO abusers. Sunny Day is for clearing the skies but it doesn't see much use, whereas Psychic is just a nice STAB attack for Substitute users/Vital Spirit/Insomniacs etc. I wish he got Taunt...

Charizard @ Salac Berry
    Adamant
    252 Atk/ 80 Def/ 176 Spe
    - Substitute
    - Belly Drum
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquake

Standard Bellyzard with enough Speed to outrun those pesky 522 and 658 Electrodes with the rest in Def to guard against resisted priority attacks like Mach and Bullet Punch. He comes in on the sleeping, weakened Pokemon and does his thing. If they only sleep for the minimum of 1 turn and manage to break the Sub despite Memento, then I still come out with +6 Atk, +1 Spe and Blaze. If they sleep for over 1 turn, I come out with all that and a Sub; it's really amazing how useful a Sub is in BT. It grants added insurance against hax nicely...opponent hangs on with a Focus Band? BrightPowder activates? Quick Claw? No problem as the Sub absorbs the blow and Charizard wipes out the opponent on the following turn. The heart of the line-up and only member of the team who has been consistent throughout playtesting.

Metagross @ Leftovers
    Adamant
    152 HP/ 252 Atk/ 104 Spe
    - Agility
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Thunderpunch

Cookie-cutter Agilagross, bolted on to act as a late-game sweeper in case the UxieCharizard combo fails, but also to counter Pokemon that stop Uxie cold such as 946 Safeguard Latias. This slot was formerly occupied by Swords Dance Cacturne and Agility Hitmonchan but Metagross' superiority speaks for itself. Explosion would be nice but Metagross is almost always my "last man standing" so Thunderpunch gets the nod.

My main concern here is:

881 Snorlax Adamant Chesto Berry Return Rock Slide Curse Rest HP/Def

If this Pokemon leads I'm in a world of shit. It's yet to happen but after two Curses (which the Chesto would ensure) not even Charizard can crack this guy (+6 EQ does 30-40% on +2 Snorlax). I could run Brick Break over EQ as it 2HKO's easily and the coverage loss is minor but I'd really feel the 25% power drop against Bulky Waters. Metagross resists both his attacks and can hope for attack rises/crits but it's a bleak prospect overall.

Chesto Berry/Lum Berry leads can be a pain, which is why I play with the Battle Tower database open. If I suspect a berry after seeing their first move I hang around and use Psychic or w/e just to stall a turn and waste the berry. Even if I do miscalculate, Charizard has a decent chance at beefing up against a -2 Atk, -2 SpA Poke whether they're awake or not. Still bothersome.

Gonna carry on my streak once I've rebred my Metagross (it's about 2 years old now and it really shows in the subpar IVs...may stick with my recent 30/31/31/x/31/11 because Ditto breeding sucks).
  16. Age of Kings

Age of Kings of the Ash Legion
    is a Forum Moderator

^Charizard's ability is listed instead of nature, just to let you know ^_^;
  17. Havak

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Nice team, Lee. :)
  18. McLovinn

McLovinn

Well, I've got a team, its cheap, but anything to beat the HaxTower!!!

Persian@Lum Berry
    252 SpAtk/252 Spd/6 HP - Timid - Technician

Hypnosis
    Nasty Plot
    HP Fighting
    Swift

Well, as always, the strategy is to Hypnosis, then Nasty Plot if they stay in/switch. If they switch in a Ghost, then you're dead. Just switch out to something else.

Breloom@Toxic Orb
    252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spd - Adamant

Spore
    Swords Dance
    Seed Bomb
    Mach Punch

Priority FTW. This was developed for Wi-Fi in reality, and the HP EVs allowed it to survive a Weavile's Ice Shard, and KO back with Mach Punch. But why not use it here? The strategy is pretty much the same here as it is with Persian. Just Sleep them, and SD up. Nothing can beat this. Except a few things. Yeah. Salamence/Dragonite can eat it. D: But, this is much more reliable with the 100% accuracy sleep. What were Gamefreak thinking when they gave a Sleep move with 100% accuracy? Good for us though :D.

Tentacruel@Choice Scarf
    252 SpAtk/252 Spd/6 HP - Modest

Ice Beam
    Surf
    Sludge bomb
    Giga Drain

This is mainly in there to outspeed and ko all the dragons that resist this team so badly. Tenta <3.

Did you like it?
  19. thetorsoboy

thetorsoboy

Guys, I'm trying to go for a 100 win streak (Hooray!) and I have this team so far, but I can't find a good 3rd member...

Salamence @Life Orb
    Rash with: 120 Atk / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
    - Draco Meteor
    - Brick Break
    - Fire Blast
    - Crunch

Standard MixMence. He does a lot for this team.

Breloom @Toxic Orb
    Adamant with: 44 HP / 252 Attack / 212 Speed
    - Substitute
    - Spore
    - Focus Punch
    - Leech Seed

My Sub/Spore Stall Breloom. Stalls everything with Leech Seed (basically) and hit hard with Focus Punch.

And, I can't find a good third, so I need some help. I don't really know if I need a Cleric (Blissey) or just another attacker.
  20. Havak

I think a Steel-type would suit you, as both Salamence and Breloom are weak to Ice. Salamence also being weak to Rock and Dragon, with Breloom weak to Poison, Flying, Fire and Psychic as well. Your Steel-type also need not worry as Breloom resists Ground, and Salamence is immune to it, while also resisting Fighting and Fire.

So, I'd suggest Metagross or Heatran.
  21. thetorsoboy

thetorsoboy

Awesome, I'll try Heatran (Specs) since I don't have a good Metagross ingame yet.
  22. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I was just looking at the records list again and noticed you had the same three pokemon so I checked out the post explaining the team. So yeah, 3 weeks later, of course I don't mind that you used the same team lol. I'm honored actually that you chose to use mine over say one of Jump's.

Anyway, the reason I'm responding is because I made some changes to Lucario and I was going to reveal everything once (if) I got deep into the 200 range or lost. This was like June or July time frame when I was going to get around to doing this but I lost interest in the BT and haven't touched it much in the past few weeks. I have passed my personal record with the improved version of my Wobbuffet team though and I feel pretty confident that once I sit down and invest the time I'll get a record I feel is good enough.

The change I made to Lucario is as follows:

@Salac Berry
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252Atk/6Def/252Spd
    IVs: 28/31/x/x/x/31
    Nature: Adamant
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Crunch

I found that I rarely needed ExtremeSpeed and when I did need to use it, I usually was already in bad shape. Substitute gives me a scouting edge and extra protection against CHes or stat downs from moves like Crunch, Night Slash, and Shadow Ball while setting up. The Salac boost allows me to hit harder with first shot. Pretty basic. Try this out and see if it works better for you as well, Cherish.
  23. Ramiestar

Ramiestar

Damn, you guys are good. I almost always tend to lose not long after I beat the Tower Tycoon (on battle 21). Once I had my Garchomp out against a Jynx, we were both down to our last pokemon. I used EQ, it hung on with Focus Sash. Instead of Ice Beaming me to death, it Lovely Kissed me. It then used the very cheap Mean Look/Perish Song combo. Then it used Protect 3 times in a row, and all three times it successfully protected. I also woke up after the 2nd protect was used, so twice I should have knocked it out but darn protect blocked me.

We both fainted, but the game counted it as a loss for me, whereas in Pokemon Stadium the opponent would have lost, because Perish Song would have failed.
  24. MKDSJedi

MKDSJedi

Current record of 48 in the Single Tower obtained with this team:
    Infernape @ Life Orb
    Jolly
    252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
    U-Turn
    Flare Blitz
    Close Combat
    ThunderPunch

Azelf @ Wise Glasses
    Timid
    Unknown EVs (given to me in a trade - I think standard NP set though)
    Nasty Plot
    Psychic
    Flamethrower
    Grass Knot

Empoleon @ Leftovers
    Relaxed
    Can't remember the EVs...split between Atk and Defences though lol
    Swords Dance
    Aqua Jet
    Earthquake
    Avalanche

How I lost:
    A Gliscor holding Quick Claw EQed Infernape and one of the others (not sure which, long time ago) got KOed as well. The other one got lucky and held on barely after Quick Claw activated for the THIRD TIME IN A ROW. KOed Gliscor, was met with a Gallade, gg.

@ the above poster, I heard a story about a Wi-Fi game where someone's Protect worked 4 times in a row. Chances aresomething like 1 in 8 to the power of 4 or something...
  25. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

100% x 50% x 25% x 12.5% right? Theoretically it is possible to use it until the PP runs out (and is possibly restored by a hold berry).

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate hax in the tower. I have suggested things that my DS can do to itself after 90+ losses that I have never suggested to anyone else...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)