1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Currently sitting at 161, I haven't had much time this week, but I did end up changing Abomasnow's item to Lum Berry, because of a close game with an Electrode. 658 I think it was, it pretty much got set up while my Abomasnow just stared at it FPed for a couple of turns, I ended up having to DBond it with Froslass and Gyara cleaned up the rest with the Rain and Waterfall, got pretty lucky there. The Rock weak hasn't come into effect much because most of them have been non-STAB and Gyara's Indimidate has handled it nicely, should something with STAB come in Gyara could still handle it with Intimidate, Bulkiness, and Waterfall (Quake if its Aggron, Bastidoon, Probpass).
  2. Goodbar

Goodbar

I lost at 144 recently, I feel like its not worth it but i'll post anyways. I got raped by a countersash breloom then suffered 4 crucial haxes...

Garchomp@ Choice Band
    Adamant
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Hp
    Outrage
    Dragon Claw
    Fire Fang
    Earthquake

Yanmega @ Wide Lens
    Modest
    252 Spatk, 252 Speed, 6 Hp
    Bug Buzz
    Air Slash
    Hypnosis
    Protect

Metagross @ Life Orb
    Adamant
    Uhh I think 252 Attack, 170-180ish Speed, the rest Hp
    Thunderpunch
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Bullet Punch

Garchomp did most of the work, but it was a cool team that I'd like to try again when Platinum comes out, I think it could do better (and now I will be more careful of brelooms ?_?)

EDIT: singles, lol...
  3. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Hi, I just lost to #86 due to my stupidity. :( My team was as follows:
    EDIT: O Yeah, this is for Singles Battle Tower.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
    Adamant
    252 Attack 192 Speed 64 HP
    Ice Fang
    Ice Shard
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    -> pretty standard

Starmie @ Expert Belt
    Modest
    252 Sp. Attk 252 Speed 4 HP
    Psychic
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    -> pretty standard again

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Brave (All my Careful ones have pretty bad IVs or weren't Thick Fat... I suppose I might replace this one with another careful one that has immunity)
    136 HP 248 Special Defense 124 Defense
    Curse
    Rest
    Body Slam
    Crunch
    -> somewhat standard curselax with some changes in EVs due to nature and IVs.

Pretty much anything that Mamoswine OHKOs whatever it can outspeed and OHKO... or if even if it's slower, if opponent can't OHKO, I'll stay in to KO. It's also my pokemon for switching into electric attacks aimed at Starmie. Starmie takes care of whatever it can get Super Effective hits on, and Snorlax is kinda my last resort and saved my matches several times.

Anyway, the match where I lost was really stupid on my part because I could have won. Here's how it went:

Mamoswine VS Lapras
    Mamoswine used Stone Edge.
    Lapras hangs on with Focus Sash.
    Lapras uses Hydro Pump.
    Mamoswine Faints.

Starmie VS Lapras
    Starmie used Psychic and Lapras faints (didn't matter what move I use).

Snorlax VS Exeggutor
    Exeggutor comes in. Starmie switches out (since I know Ice beam won't OHKO).
    Snorlax takes the Wood Hammer for a little less than 50% damage.
    I suppose I could have Cursed, but I thought it would be a 2HKO for me, and I didn't want to risk a Critical Hit, so Snorlax used Crunch.
    Exeggutor used Sunny Day. (Wha? I was thinking maybe it'll use solar beam, which Snorlax will be happy to take since it has higehr Sp. Def anyway).
    Snorlax used Crunch and doesn't KO, leaving Exeggutor with a thin red line, ugh.
    Exeggutor used Wood Hammer again and fails to KO Snorlax while it dies from recoil.
    Ursaring comes in and kills Snorlax quickly with Return.

Starmie VS Ursaring (the part where I was really stupid)
    ->It was all a matter of whether Starmie can 2HKO Ursaring.
    My Stupidity:
    Starmie used Surf and dealt around 30% damage ... I totally forgot about Sunny Day :(
    Ursaring used Return and dealt around 70% damage.
    Starmie used Psychic and dealt a bit less than 60% damage.
    Ursaring killed Starmie using one of its weaker moves.

If only I used Psychic twice...
  4. Ryfle

Ryfle

Wow, that sucks. It's a common mistake so don't take it too hard. Don't worry though I'm sure you can climb back up.

I do want to mention that Weavile seems like a problem I don't know what they run on the tower, but I'm sure It's still a threat.

So yeah...
    Just take time and think everything through.
  5. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

I had that Weavile problem too before I used Snorlax. Right now, basically if I see a Weavile lead (i.e. vs my Mamoswine), Mamoswine stays in to OHKO with Earthquake since Weavile's Brick Break does only about 50% damage (more often it uses Night Slash though, which does even less if not Critical Hit). If it's Sashed Ice Shard on the next turn will get the easy kill. If Starmie's facing Weavile, then I switch to Snorlax to take the Night Slash that does <25% damage even before I curse up, and Weavile can't hurt Snorlax much at all.

Pretty much any OU or even BL fighting pokemon that isn't 4x weak to aerial ace will be able to handle weavile though I think.
  6. Groombridge

Groombridge

Doubles: 78 wins.

This is my first major test with a Trick Room doubles team. It's heavily inspired by TRE's epic team. If it ain't broke...

It seems that TRE's team was finally beaten because Bronzong didn't get TR down before it was OHKO'd. If it had, he would have won and he'd be on about 2,000 wins by now.

Because TR teams tend to rely on getting it in effect early on, I use Hariyama's Fake Out as insurance - no giving the AI two free shots at Bronzong. So if I'm faced with something that can carry a OHKO move (or Heatran or whatever), it gets flinched. This means that both foes need to be packing OHKOs in order to prevent TR. There's no stopping OHKOs completely, but at least this narrows the odds a great deal.

- -
    Bronzong @ Lum Berry

Impish, Levitate, generic bulky spread

Trick Room
    Hypnosis
    Light Screen
    Faint Attack

This thing needs to get TR down first and foremost. Once it's in effect, it abuses the lack of sleep clause by happily spamming Hypnosis. Light Screen covers the team's general weakness to special attacks, and Faint Attack gives it a never-miss attack that sometimes comes in handy.

Lum ensures that nothing short of a OHKO (or a flinch) stops TR going down in turn 1.

- -
    Hariyama @ Toxic Orb

Brave, Guts, 252atk, 128def, 128sp.def.

Fake Out
    Close Combat
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake

Hariyama is the slowest thing that gets Fake Out, which alone makes it very useful to a TR team. The fact it's an awesome TR sweeper just seals the deal.

Fake Out flinches the most threatening foe, while simultaneously activating Guts. In TR, it merrily crushes foes with multi-hit moves and its tremendous STAB Guts Close Combat. Bronzong uses Hypnosis while Hariyama attacks; rinse and repeat until Hari dies.

I tried it with Belly Drum for maximum overkill, but it was far too risky in practice. What's great about Guts is that it can switch out to reactivate Fake Out and still keep its attack boost, increasing the team's flexibility.

- -
    Weezing @ Life Orb/Focus Sash

Quiet, 92atk, 206hp, 120sp.atk, 80sp.def.

Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower
    Shadow Ball
    Explosion

Okay, so no defence at all, but this thing isn't really there to sponge hits - it delivers special attacks where needed and booms. It can withstand the odd attack if it has to.

It beats down Gyarados and floaty steels, and it's EQ immune. Predicted Psychic attacks are met by a switch, a Shadow Ball if that'll do the trick, or by booming. Its boom knocks about 50% off of Bronzong or Rhyperior, while effectively sweeping the field.

No TR team should be without a little Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince action. Boom! Shake the (Trick) Room!

- -
    Rhyperior @ Wide Lens
    Adamant, Solid Rock, 252hp, 252atk, 6 sp.def

Ice Fang
    Megahorn
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake

The closer: this set hits 13 types super-effectively. The non-speed-reducing nature is fine, since it can't 'outspeed' Slowbro anyway.

This brings big multi-hit STAB attacks, and smacks around dragons, the legendary birds, two of the beasts, Lati@s and the Regis. Excellent.

It doesn't take STAB Psychic hits aimed at Hariyama too well, but its huge HP should keep it alive for at least one hit. Zong can Light Screen as it comes in for added survivability. Then it lovingly administers the Megahorn, all night long.

Wide Lens simply helps its slightly inaccurate moves miss a bit less. Three of its moves have less than 100% accuracy, and nothing is more annoying than missing Ice Fang on a Garchomp.

- -
    Every team has its Achilles heel. For this team, it's pink, dumb and has a Shellder attached to either its ass or its head. I can't tell which is which.

Slowbro/Slowking is pretty much the worst thing this team can face. It can OHKO Weezing, Hariyama and Rhyperior with STAB attacks unless Light Screen is up, and it's slower than all three - which means in Trick Room, it's faster. And to top it off, it's built like a tank. Both runs of this team were stopped cold by this monster. Admittedly, both of those times Bronzong's Hypnosis missed, and I'm pretty sure it'll be easier to deal with once it's asleep: Weezing can Thunderbolt or boom it, or Rhyperior can show it some prison love with Megahorn. But if it gets to attack, we're boned - and I don't like putting all my eggs into one basket. Especially if that basket only has 70% accuracy.

If TR is already up, then Zong can either attempt Hypnosis, although we'll run the risk of losing if it misses, or throw up Light Screen since Slowbro's physical attacks are nothing to worry about. If Slowbro leads, then I'll probably try hitting it with both Fake Out and Hypnosis - but this raises the possibility of Zong getting killed before it can use Trick Room.

I tried using Metagross over Rhyperior, and that dealt with Slowbro pretty well with Grass Knot. But then the team loses Rhyperior's type coverage. In fact, the Metagross team was stopped by a Guillotine Gliscor, since I had no Ice attacks to hit it with...

Any suggestions? What else kicks ass in BT Trick Room these days?
  7. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

I don't know too much about Double battles, but I can try to suggest things to see if you think they're any good.

At first when I saw Weezing, I was thinking, "Why Weezing when there are obviously way harder hitters?" Then I look on serebii to see what other options there were and found that there weren't that many pokemon that can do what your Weezing did. Only Muk, Lickilicky, and Azelf can learn the exact same 4 moves as Weezing. Weezing is better than Muk, and Azelf is way too fast, but I guess you can give Lickilicky a consideration since it won't be OHKO'd by Slowbro/king. Lickilicky's STAB Explosion is way more powerful, but its special attack is even lower than Weezing's, so it wouldn't really be a harder hitter. If we're talking about overall defense (both physical and special) Lickilicky is also better with its high HP and 95 in both defenses. It's also slightly slower than Weezing.

The other option I thought of was Camerupt. It can Flamethrower (or you can opt for the other stronger fire moves like Eruption) and Explode with its 100 base Attack. It does lose its way of dealing with Gyarados though. Best would just be with Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Ancient Power. You'd probably want Earthquake/Earth Power for the last slot for the Rock + Ground combo, but yah, doesn't quite do the same thing as Weezing, but IS slower though...

Porygon2 has same speed as Weezing and pretty good defenses, higher special attack, can Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball, but cannot explode or Flamethrower, but can set up Trick Room.

I personally wouldn't do this, but if OHKO moves are too annoying, you can consider Donphan over Rhyperior (since Donphan has Sturdy), but it's less powerful, faster, ice shard only compared to ice fang, and no megahorn. Sturdy is pretty much its only selling point.

Tyranitar has better attack than special attack obviously, but if you want it to fill Weezing's role, it can probably do better anyway. It can Thunderbolt and Flamethrower. Its STAB Dark Pulse is better than anything Weezing's Shadow Ball can do. Overall better defenses than Weezing, 61 speed instead of Weezing's 60 (not really too big of a difference), its sand stream lets Rhyperior (and itself) take Special hits a lot better. I guess instead of Explosion which it can't learn, you can have Ice beam or something. The bad thing is that it doesn't have the nice typing and levitate that Weezing has.

Of course, you can have a Slowbro/king of your own also.
  8. Groombridge

Groombridge

Nice advice!

Lickilicky is a great suggestion - to be honest, I hadn't considered it due to irrational loathing (a Licky stopped my only 100-win streak so far in singles). It would beat down Slowbro (especially with Power Whip - whip it good), but I think Tyranitar might be the best choice.

Camerupt is interesting - it's something I'd been considering. Eruption in Trick Room is devastating, but of course it increases the Slowbro weakness and replaces the Gyarados counter with something weak to it - and the camel can't OHKO it without booming. I think the camel will kick ass in TR, but it needs to be the centre of a different team. Torkoal is slower than Slowbro, making it 'faster', and it's less water weak, but its attack stats are a great deal lower and it's still EQ weak to boot. Bah.

Porygon2 is a quality option - the only problem would be getting one! I've already used my Upgrade to get a Porygon-Z. Man, I hope you'll be able to buy all the evolution items in Platinum, in the Battle Frontier or wherever. You can get the Razor Claw and Razor Fang in BT now, so why not the rest?

Special Tyranitar is actually a wicked idea. You're right, STAB Dark Pulse is much better than Shadow Ball, and its Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt will be stronger too. No booming, but its Sandstream will bolster both Rhyperior and itself. If it can withstand Surf from Slowbro in the sand and then Dark Pulse it to death, then it's a winner, in Trick Room or not. I think something like this might do it:

-
    Tyranitar @ Leftovers

Quiet, 252sp.atk, 252hp, 6sp.def. Maybe move some HP into sp.def?

Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower
    Dark Pulse
    Protect

So, the three attacks the team needs. Protect to scout for Fighting attacks, heal with Lefties and bring free Sandstream damage - and to block Rhyperior's epic Earthquake. Against Slowbro it can Protect for 6% SS damage, Dark Pulse and hopefully survive, then Protect again if necessary for another 6%. Very nice.

EDIT: And obviously, Tyrantiar makes a great switch for psychic and flying attacks aimed at Hariyama. I can't believe the extent to which I'm so totally breeding one right now.

If you can't beat them, put them in tiny balls and make them fight against their will for your amusement. Maybe Slowbro with Calm Mind/Slack Off/Grass Knot/[Flamethrower/Thunderbolt] could be interesting...

I might have a suggestion for your singles team, Dood. One thing I've tried with some degree of success is Focus Sash and Avalanche on Mamoswine. This gives it a kind of Countersash effect, which, combined with Ice Shard to mop up Sashes, works well against anything non-Ice resistant. Mamoswine isn't the fastest thing around, so it moves second a lot of the time anyway - and a powered-up Avalanche (120BP before STAB) is the strongest attack Mamo has to offer. The AI can't resist going for a OHKO if it sees one, and Mamo has some common weaknesses (fire, water, grass, fighting), so you can make them work for you.

The trade-off would be losing some power on its other attacks without Life Orb. Mamoswine hits like a train already, though, so you might not miss it... and hell, Sash is always handy - especially on the only thing in the game that's immune to both Sandstorm and Hail.
  9. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Hm... I might give it a try, but yeah, Life Orb on Mamo is just so powerful that it's something that it might not be willing to let go. e.g. Its EQ can OHKO most Tyranitars and more than half of the Rhyperiors I faced in BT.

Also there's a reason I used Ice Fang over Avalanche. If I were to use Avalanche, I'd make my Mamo more bulky probably and lower speed. But the good thing about Mamo is that it's actually not that slow. 80 base speed isn't amazing, but it's enough to outspeed most of the grass pokemon in BT (for Sceptile, I usually just take my chance and Ice Shard which OHKOs about half the time, and most of them use Focus Blast on Mamo instead of a grass move which doesn't OHKO sometimes). Ice Fang OHKOs just about all the grass pokemon in BT other than Leafeon, Tangrowth and occasionally Meganium (well, and obviously Ludicolo where I'd switch). So Ice Fang and faster speed to kill those grassers, which is fairly problematic for my team, because if you look at it: Mamo is weak to grass/water/fighting/fire/steel. My Starmie resists all of those except for grass, which it is also weak to. I.e. I don't have a grass-resist in that team, so yeah, that's why I had Ice Fang and speed so I can kill the grass pokemon before they can kill me. LO EQ also OHKOs most non-bulky neutral pokemon too though, and there's a lot of non-bulky pokemon neutral to EQ (but I suppose it's less and less as I get up higher, so LO Mamo might probably OHKO less and less).

But yah I see your point though. I can rely on my sash to take the hit and then Avalanche them and Ice Shard if necessary. I'll give it a try and see if the results are better. I'm kind of working on another BT team that might not involve Mamo though (It just has too many weaknesses), so yah, I'll see. I might also just give it sash without the Avalanche to see how the unboosted Fang does to those Grass Pokemon too. If it still OHKOs most things, then that's cool.

EDIT: I just thought of something after I posted all this stuff about grass. After thinking about all these grass pokemon and how they're in general pretty slow, I thought: "Maybe deuteronopia can just use one in the TR team!" I thought that because you wanted something that take probably take on both Gyarados and Slowbro. The first one I thought of was Exeggutor since it has the highest Sp. Attack stat, it can explode, and it can TR. Both the TR Slowbro/king in BT has Ice Beam though, but it won't OHKO at least. Something bulkier than Exeggutor with slightly lower Sp. Attack. and slightly slower speed would be Vileplume. Of course grass pokemon in general tend to have fairly shallow offensive movepools that don't cover a whole lot though.

EDIT 2: Wow, I'm not sure why I didn't think of Magnezone before. I think it's because I don't like how it doesn't even look like a pokemon. Anyway, Magnezone has great defenses, amazing Special Attack, same speed as Weezing, can boom, and Thunderbolt can kill any slowbro/king or gyarados and hurt most things a lot other than ground/electric/grass types, so yeah, it's actually not bad at all. Oh, another thing, if it's just going to be for BT, then having a Magnezone with Sturdy ability to dismiss the OHKO problem is cool too.
  10. FastHippo

FastHippo

You may want to replace Snorlax with Salamence or Dragonite. They resist Fire, Water, Fighting, Bug and 4x resist Grass. They are neutral to all of the other weaknesses of your team, iIrc. They have access to Dragon Dance, Fire and Electric attacks, Roost, etc.
  11. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Yeah I know. I just didn't really want to use any OU Dragons though. It's just a personal preference. I actually tested Altaria a while ago (before using Snorlax) but the results were just mediocre. I'm changing my team anyway, so yah, I'll see. Thanks though.
  12. No_One411

No_One411

My Battle Tower run includes a variety of Pokemon. I hope this is still considered "a run." I alternated around a lot of different Pokemon because I think the Battle Tower rigs the Pokemon against you after a certain amount of times. So without further ado, I will include a list of Pokemon I used the most.

1a. Rotom: Choice Scarf: Levitate
    252 Hp / 252 Spd / 6 Def @ Timid

Trick
    Thunder wave
    Reflect
    Light Screen

Yes, I did get the idea from Garo and Jumpman. But the way this works is truly a thing of beauty. By tricking an opponent, you're basically allowed to set up as much as possible. Of course, this depends on what the opponent is locked into.

1b. Smeargle: Choice Scarf: Own Tempo
    252 Spd / 252 Hp / 6 Def @ Jolly

Trick
    Spore
    Belly Drum
    Baton Pass

Smeargle hits 273 speed plus the Choice Scarf boost, which is still pretty reliable for the job. It locks the opponent into a move, Spores it, and proceeds to pass a Belly Drum to my sweeper. Passing a Belly Drum basically insures your sweeper to be nigh unstoppable.

- For the Trick leads, I would like to get a Substitute somewhere in there. Substitute is really useful for blocking OHKOs.

1c. Gengar: Focus Sash: Levitate
    6Hp / 252SpA / 252Spd @ Timid

-Hypnosis
    -Counter
    -Shadow Ball
    -Destiny Bond / Explosion

Ah yes, the "suicide" lead Gengar. This pokemon is perhaps one of the best pokemon to use in the Battle Tower. Fast enough to outspeed the majority of the pokes, and strong enought to take out a few by himself. I use this set to hopefully incapacitate at least two pokes before he dies. If I can, I counter the move, if I can't, I have at least two Hypnosis tries before I go away. Destiny Bond versus Explosion is debatable, and that is why I constantly alternate between the two.

-

2a. Garchomp: Yache Berry: Sand Veil
    252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Hp @ Adamant

Swords Dance/Stone Edge (depends on whether I'm using Smeargle or Rotom)
    Earthquake
    Fire Fang
    Outrage

Garchomp is an OU beast, and is the same in the Battle Tower. Both of my strategies involve this guy setting up on the opponent. After he gets 3 Swords Dances or is passed a Belly Drum, Almost nothing in the Battle Tower can survive. I use Adamant for the extra power. I use Yache Berry to ensure the computer doesn't pull an Ice Shard KO on me. Cuz, after the Tricked poke dies, something with Ice Shard seems to ALWAYS come in on me. Of course, when using Rotom, setting up screens is always helpful for this guy to sweep.

2b. When not using Garchomp, I usually use another heavy hitter that would greatly benefit from the time to set up, or the Belly Drum pass. Garchomp is my usually one, but I alternate a lot.

-

3a. Lucario:Focus Sash:Inner Focus
    252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Hp @ Adamant

Swords Dance
    Extremespeed
    Close Combat
    Shadow Claw

This is my revenge killer. He has Close Combat and Shadow Claw for coverage. I usually save him for last, since he sweeps really easily. You probably already seen this many times, so I wont' bother explaining too much.

3b. Suicune: Leftovers: Pressure
    252 Hp / 252 Def / 6 Spd @ Bold

Calm Mind
    Surf
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

Crocune. You probably already seen this before. I use him when I'm in the mood for possibly stall war. Many times, I find that a safe way to survive in the Battle Tower is forcing the opponent to Struggle. At that point however, with CroCune, you're set up with 6 Calm Minds and you are pretty much set to go. Cune is pretty happy also with the time to set up from a Tricked pokemon.

3c. Zapdos: Leftovers: Pressure
    252 Hp / 152 Def / 100 Spd @ Bold

Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power Ice / Grass
    Roost
    Substitute / Toxic / Thunderwave

Zapdos accomplishes pretty much the same role as Suicune.... when not setting up with Trick. The 4th moveslot is up for debate, since all have been very good. Substitute to block status/OHKO moves/ etc. Toxic to stall. Thunderwave to Defensive Roost.

Anyways, those are the pokes that I have used the most in the Battle Tower. I seem to have avoided much hax for the time being. Survived most of the my battles by Struggle stalling. I'm a prettty patient person, so that strategy works for me.

My current record is 272. I haven't gotten the time or courage to start the 7th battle yet. -_- Hopefully I can start again some time soon.

Any questions? Comments? Etc? for my "Team"
  13. AhrenElessedil

AhrenElessedil

161 and counting, still with the same team.
  14. LordCaedus

LordCaedus

Currently on 84 wins in the Double Battle Tower with the following team:

Gengar @ focus sash (lead)
    Timid, 252 SpA/Spe/6HP
    -Focus Blast
    -Shadow ball
    -Thunderbolt
    - Destiny Bond
    One of my leads, moves provide coverage, focus sash ensures grants extended life and D-bond for when I'm done

Salamance @ Choice Band (lead)
    Adamant, 252 Atk/Spe/6HP
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -aerial Ace
    -Rock slide
    2nd lead, compliments gengar's coverage with some hard hitting attacks. AA is a carryover from Emerald's battle frontier, hits some annoying DTs as well as the mono-bug & -grass teams I seem to encounter

Metagross @ shuca berry
    Adamant, 252HP/228Atk/30Def
    -Meteor Mash
    -Bullet Punch
    -EQ
    -Explosion
    Typing, Evs and item allow for good defensive coverage. MM lets it hit hard while bullet-punch provides a nice finisher on low-health Pokemon. Explosion for trouble pokemon.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Bold, 188HP/252Def/70SpA
    -Water Pulse
    -Ice Beam
    -Wish
    -protect
    Not much to say here, 95% of this guy's appearence involve him using Protect while the opponent falls to a Metagross/salamance EQ or Explosion. In theory, Ice Beam for dragons, water pulse as a STAB move that doesnt involve friendly fire, wish for healing
  15. AhrenElessedil

AhrenElessedil

168 and counting. I had problems with a Blaziken but I managed to win.
  16. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

You don't need to update us every 7 battles....
  17. Shelcario

Shelcario

Yeah Carl, nice Disco Psyduck:) I guess it makes up for your Disco Relicanth:) Anyway to keep on topic I have had no recent Battle Tower progress as I haven't entered the Battle Tower in awhile, lol. I'm still in the breeding phase of my Battle tower team, can't stop till it's almost perfect, lol.
  18. LordCaedus

LordCaedus

Double Battle Tower streak at 105 wins and still going
  19. Shelcario

Shelcario

Is a Taunt pokemon even worth entering in the Battle Tower?
  20. wtansley

wtansley

Certainly, tauntrados in particular works great as it can set up on things like the following while they struggle:

319 Dusclops Impish Leftovers Toxic Confuse Ray Double Team Protect

523 Ludicolo Impish Leftovers Leech Seed Double Team Toxic Substitute

Also good for stopping DT users in general, just mentioned these two because they're the most annoying and I love watching them struggle while DDing 6 times
  21. Shelcario

Shelcario

Actually I was thinking about bringing a Taunting Drapion, is that good enough? I know compared to Gyarados, no, but I just wanted to use my own strategy with pokemon I've never used before.
  22. wtansley

wtansley

Yeah, I'm sure any taunt user that can take a hit or two would be effective. Just keep it away from earthquakes, obviously - it's almost more common in the tower than in standard wifi/shoddy play.

edit - just checked the Drapion analysis and Battle Armor would make it even more usable to prevent against the ever common tower hax, so looks like a decent choice
  23. wtansley

wtansley

Well, just got my best streak yet of 162. Will post a pic once I get hold of a usable camera.

My team:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
    Rash
    Ability: Levitate
    6 Att / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
    - Psychic
    - Flamethrower
    - Thunderbolt
    - Explosion

Fantastic for the tower, hits many things hard and then explodes on anything troublesome after the sash activates. In rare cases such as Tyranitar leads I would explode right away since the sash is useless and Breloom can set up on any Tar there [assuming it's not the Scarfed one using AA, which would never happen since it would choose Crunch against Azelf]

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Jolly
    Ability: Poison Heal
    252 HP / 6 Att / 252 Spd
    - Spore
    - Substitute
    - Seed Bomb
    - Focus Punch

If it's faster than the foe, almost nothing beats it and once setup it can usually take out 2 at the least. Jolly and max Speed because Speed goes so far in the tower, and max HP to minimise the chance of death due to QC hax.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
    Calm
    Ability: Levitate
    252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA
    - Ice Beam
    - Calm Mind
    - Toxic
    - Moonlight

Queen of stalling, and a fantastic way of getting rid of the troublesome DTers [only have to hit once with Toxic and then stall] and tanks like enemy Cresselia.

Yes, I used two Psychic types, so it was only a matter of time before I was undone by a team of ghosts [or strong shadow ballers]. I was just bored the other day, went into the tower with these three and they were doing surprisingly well.

How I lost:

Lead Lapras, Azelf Tbolt did around 50%, it hit with Sheer Cold and activated sash. I Tbolted again to leave it on a slither of HP, it rested. I knew it had Sleep Talk and DT so I exploded rather than trying to 3HKO with Tbolt. Both died, and I sent in Cress [Cress is a safer option than Breloom most of the time]. Froslass came out and I already knew I was in trouble. It Shadow Balls and gets a CH to bring Cress to around 50 HP, and my toxic missed [not that it would have made a difference]. It killed Cress with another SB and OHKO'd Breloom with Ice Beam.

I'm still happy to have finally broken 100 and gone on to get a respectable streak. My next attempt will probably involve a Mixape and Bronzong, possibly Tyranitar.
  24. AhrenElessedil

AhrenElessedil

Lost Battle 181.
  25. Shelcario

Shelcario

Thanks for the help, at least I know that all my breeding hasn't gone to waste:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)