DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

least you can do after a 250+ streak in a thread steeped entirely in honesty
  2. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

What is the absolute proof for a streak? Records or the pokemon behind them can be modified by outside sources, as many mentioned in regard to the whole VipStar deal. I'd expect people with lengthy records to be able to explicate on the mechanics of their team, specific threats, how things worked and didn't work and were thus modified, etc., but that doesn't mean any specific number is true. What are the specific qualities of an honest post?
  3. Jumpman16

is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

when you consider that i could be a 34-year-old retired swimsuit model in spite of the pictures and videos at two smocons "proving" my identity, you either decide to be reasonable about what's "honest", as you seem to recognize in your third sentence, or you pm me asking for real pictures of myself from my last photoshoot
  4. LordCaedus

LordCaedus

Double battle tower streak ended with 110 wins. Team listed below

My downfall was a hail team. Abomosnow ruins my leads, but i usually manage to take him out and come back, this time though he KO'd both with a Blizzard (cannot remember partner poke, however it Fake Outed Sala, and gar's Focus Blast Missed). Came back only to encounter this;

736 Walrien, QC, Fissure, sheer cold, Sleep talk, rest

Promptly Fissured Gross after QC activated, before I could blow up, then sheer colded vaporeon next term.

Thinking about dropping vaporeon for something that can take out the hail teams (and Bronzong). May also drop rock slide on sala for Stone edge or brick break, again for ice-types.

Suggestions welcome
  5. Bozo

Bozo

i meant that after the turn in which snorlax snaps out of confusion (and yes he does move after lanturn - eg lanturn used surf, snorlax woke up, snorlax snapped out of confusion, snorlax used rest) - lanturn gets it confused again at the first possible instance (ie the next turn). it did that 4-5 times, but then the one time i switched suicune in immediately after snorlax snapped out of it, he decided to use thunderbolt before confuse ray ;)
  6. Jumpman16

736 walrein doesn't have QC, it has the other really gay item (BP)...
  7. LordCaedus

LordCaedus

Apologies, got mixed up with Emerald Tower equivelent, which destroyed my run in that tower, in the fashion described above. My end in the DP tower was due to Walrein 736, Metagross explosion probably missed, leaving it open to the Fissure.

Either way Walrein has ended my runs in both towers due to hax
  8. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Gratz! Glad to know that I was helpful. Of course, I didn't know if it would actually work out either. It's cool that it did.
  9. Ranz

Ranz

starting out a New Record at the Battle Tower now.. Now on my Way to battle Palmer second time..

Team:

Garchomp, Adamant, 252/252/6 , Yache
    EQ
    Dragon Claw
    Crunch
    SD

Suicune. Bold, 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 6 Speed, Leftovers
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Roar
    Calm Mind

(And for these parts, Any of these Substitutes will do)
    Snorlax
    Spiritomb
    Salamence
  10. wtansley

wtansley

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. I just finished breeding my Mixape that I plan to use in the tower. Its set will be Flamethrower, Grass Knot, HP Ice and Close Combat, and it has 31 IVs in Attack and Speed as well as a 27 in SpA. The other IVs were below par but I accepted it because it was the first one I've bred after a couple of weeks that has HP Ice [power 67 too!].

What I need help with is the EV spread. Since speed goes so far in the tower I used a Naive nature and I'll be putting 248 into speed [252 is pointless at level 50]. However, I'm unsure as to how to divide the remaining EVs between Atk and SpA. I'm thinking most will go to SpA since 3/4 of the set is Special, but I still want enough to be able to do good damage with Close Combat. All help appreciated.
  11. Bozo

Bozo

well, my run came to an end again, so im thinking my team probably doesnt have what it takes to get really far, although it has gone beyond 100 on its two attempts.

this wasnt what i'd call "hax" as such, although it did kinda end with a bit of bad luck. a gyarados flinched my gengar with waterfall - he was at full health, so counter would have been a KO since i still had my focus sash....

ive been doing the wifi BT more though just now. up to rank 6 with the same team so far. i'm really annoyed that there are still some annoying people who use OHKO moves. ive faced the same lapras quite a few times, with curse, rest (chesto berry), ice shard, sheer cold. and yeah, it will beat me every 3 battles or so, but i dont understand how it can get up to rank 6. (btw it killed me when lapras was their last poke in the 7th battle rrrrrrrrrr.....)
  12. Everstone

Everstone Now 100% reliable
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Hmmm, you would stay and Counter on a Gyarados? I would've just T-bolted as it would've at least 2HKO'd if not 1HKO'd it. Which reminds me, I need to build up a streak again once I find the time. Gotta get at least 150 this time :/
  13. Bozo

Bozo

actually i had chosen to use thunderbolt, but he already had a dragon dance.

the whole story might make it a bit clearer....

my lead is (your) gengar. they led with magnezone. so i couldnt stay in - i couldnt counter it, or 2HKO it (shadow ball and thunderbolt are both NVE). so i switched in snorlax.

it did about 60HP damage with thunderbolt. i used fire punch next turn because i figured i should just get rid of it, seeing as a paralysis or critical hit could seriously screw my snorlax, leaving gengar and suicune pretty helpless. it got burnt, and it went down to about 48%.

i used FP again and even after burn damage, it failed to finish it off. by this time snorlax had about 100HP left. next turn it exploded leaving me with about 10hp, and i rested. ironically a KO would have been better. so my sleeping snorlax was up against his gyarados.

i switched in gengar figuring i could survive if he attacked me (focus sash), and maybe outspeed if he danced. anyway, he danced on the switch. and he outsped me, and flinched me before using thunderbolt. i was unsure about what move to use, but i got flinched any way. suicune didnt really have a chance.....

i didnt realise you were a BT player everstone. whats you team/record?
  14. Everstone

Everstone Now 100% reliable
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Heh heh, without wifi it's the only place where I can reliably use my mons and not feel like all that trading was a waste of time. I usually bring crappy Pokes + one powerhouse for the Tower Tycoon (a complete joke btw) rounds so they can get that ribbon, then it's usually my main team. My last test team was this.

I'm gonna experiment with stuff later and probably come up with a new team now that I've got more stuff at my disposal.
  15. McGrrr

McGrrr Facetious
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Lucario Inner focus/Adamant
    31/31/31/x/31/31, 32/252/0/0/4/220
    @Life orb
    Close combat
    Extremespeed
    Crunch
    Swords dance

>> The 32 HP EVs are to hit 149 HP for optimal life orb use. I am not running max speed because I would rather switch out against potentially dangerous ties than risk a 50/50. The 4 in SD is for download Porygon-Z mostly. Life orb is a calculated liability; it means I don't need to always swords dance to make an impression (handy when I switch in and take 30%+ from an attack) and without it, Lucario is SO weak.

Gyarados Intimidate/Adamant
    30/31/30/x/31/30, 88/180/60/0/0/180
    @Lum berry
    Waterfall
    Earthquake
    Ice fang
    Dragon dance

>> A more offensive spread and moveset than your average Gyarados, I just like to be faster than Starmie and neutral base 130s after one dance.

Latios Levitate/Timid
    23/x/20/22/12/24, 12/0/0/252/0/244
    @Choice specs
    Dragon pulse
    Thunderbolt
    Surf
    Draco meteor

>> Yeah... legit event Latios... I need someone to hack me a new one with better IVs; surf left a Hippo with a slither of health once, and nearly cost me the streak. Surf actually has better coverage in combination with dragon/electric (than ice beam) and fewer resists so I can leave Latios in for a neutral 2HKO more often. I hardly ever use draco meteor and I'm considering psychic instead.

---

This team is pretty straightforward and enjoyable to use, being so offensively orientated. I hear Jumpman used the same three Pokemon once (great minds etc.), but we differ in opinion over life orb, ice beam/surf and Gyarados in general.

Turn one
    1. If Luke can dance and OHKO next turn without dying, dance.
    2. If Luke can survive any hit and OHKO in return (or KO with extremespeed next turn), attack.
    3. If Luke is faster and can OHKO without dancing, use your judgement for whether to dance or attack (3-2 in the bank after turn one is always handy). Dancing improves your sweep chances but gambles against CH/status.
    4. If none of the above, switch.
    5. Um... what else is there to say? You have 3 attacking Pokemon that cover each other's weaknesses.

The team is risky and a 100+ streak is far from guaranteed, but I rather enjoyed all the close calls.

---

Streak
    Lost at 149... no excuses, very little hax (dragon pulse missed against brightpowder), just bad play (left Luke in to a random focus blast) xD

Aerodactyl is scary, especially when it thunder fangs on the switch... and I would shit myself on sight of Froslass (fortunately I never met a Froslass 800, or at least not one with +speed).

Edit: Lucario is just a bit too slow so I am planning on switching it for...

And I'll probably fit in Scizor somewhere for Platinum.
  16. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

193 streak in Double Battles

Hi everyone, I just found out about this site so I thought I would join and post my double battle record. I got to 193 with this team:

Metagross@ Lum Berry
    Adamant, evs- 252atk, 104speed, 152hp
    meteor mash
    earthquake
    agility
    explosion

Gengar@ Focus Sash
    Timid, evs- 252satk, 252speed, 4hp
    shadow ball
    thunderbolt
    energy ball
    destiny bond

pretty straightforward lead, Gengar handles other ghosts and Metagross explodes. Then use destiny bond to take down anything leftover. Next up is:

Heatran@ Choice Scarf
    Modest, evs- 252satk, 252speed, 4hp
    flamethrower
    dragon pulse
    earth power
    explosion

probablly should have put some evs into attack as his explosion will not KO a lot of things. A neutral nature might also be better but this is the only one I have.

Dusknoir@ leftovers
    Impish, evs- 252hp, 52def, 200sdef, 4atk
    shadow sneak
    will-o-wisp
    protect
    pain split

this thing is amazing, every move has saved me in many battles during my run and is a great wall in general.

I cant remember the entire team I lost to but Tyranitar came out as the lead which isn't good for this team and one of the other ones used protect when Metagross exploded which I never ran into before. It ended with Rampardos 1hkoing heatran w/ earthquake and Dusknoir and Rampardos were at about 10-15% health. i thought it might use stone edge for some reason so i use will-o-wisp. Rampardos used earthquake, Dusknoir fainted.

So thats that, I'm gonna try it again and maybe put a life orb on Heatran to boost his explosion a little and maybe take out energy ball for focus blast to deal with Tyranitars. I am technologically handicapped so i dont know the first thing about how to put a picture of my streak on here, if someone wants to tell me how you can e-mail me.
  17. Expert Evan

Expert Evan every battle has a smell!
    is a Forum Moderator

Looks like I'll need to brush up my battle tower skills as my first attempt to extend my streak from 105 wins in pearl just got snapped at trainer #111 with my starmie/tyranitar/garchomp team as follows:

I send in starmie
    skiier sends in abomasnow

Turn #1:
    I switch to tyranitar
    abomasnow does focus blast for the OKHO (WTF!)

Turn #2
    I switch in garchomp, garchomp does fire fang
    abomasnow gets OHKO'd

Turn #3
    he sends in weavile
    garchomp does fire fang (95% damage to weavile)
    weavile does ice punch (100% damage to garchomp)

Turn #4
    I switch back to starmie
    Weavile does night slash (100% damage to starmie as streak ends at 110)

I'll probably try diamond version later on as record is still intact at 105.
  18. Shelcario

Shelcario

I wanted to know if you guys could answer my question, it's about a Seaking vs. my Starmie. It used Agility and its' speed was 88 before the boost and my Starmies' speed was like 167 and since agility increases by 2 stages I multiplied the seakings' speed stat by 2 and came up with 176 but I proceeded to attack after expecting Seaking to outspeed me but I went first again. Any suggestions as to why this is, my guesses are either I did the calculations wrong or the Seakings' nature was -speed nature?
  19. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

The nature of BT pokemon varies so it was probably -speed.
  20. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

The Seaking you mentioned has Bashful nature with EVs in HP/Def, so its speed should be between 73 and 88-ish, depending on IVs which are random. So it might just have mediocre or low IVs.
  21. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

I am thinking of taking out Heatran from my Double battle team a few posts above, and put in an Azelf with Explosion. Any suggestions on nature, evs, and moveset? also item???
  22. FastHippo

FastHippo

It doesn't seem like you should have switched to Tyrannitar. Three of the four Abomasnows have a grass attack. The one that doesn't, would only use Sheer Cold, Focus Blast or Grass Whistle against Starmie. Or, is 'Tar so strong that you can routinely switch it into SE STAB'd special Grass attacks because of the SpDef boost? If 'Tar can do that and then OHKO, I can see why you would do that. To me, it seems that 'Chomp would be a better choice, since Abomasnow shouldn't have used an Ice attack against Starmie.
  23. FastHippo

FastHippo

I've seen some odd things like that also. Specifically, I had a Yanmega get 3 speed boosts against me and still get outsped by my 169 speed 'Chomp. In your case, natures seem like the most likely cause.

@Ashenlock, yes I'm sure. Yanmega is one of those pokemon in the database with incorrect stats. That made it stick in my mind.

Also, nice write up on the last page. It helps a lot when people like Jumpman, TRE, Garo or yourself go into detail about your teams.
  24. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

That Yanmega would have to have less than 68 speed, which is impossible at level 50. But as you said, odd things do indeed happen. Are you sure it got that many speed stages (Although even with 2 it would outspeed you)? I understand how it would get priority via Quick Claw and Endure, but that is perplexing.

EDIT: Thank you. I'm not of course close up to their or your records but I hope to redeem my singles efforts so at least I won't have a ridiculously Weavile-weak team up on the list. Still no idea on the Yanmega thing save for the Trick Room idea.
  25. Jumpman16

yeah, you definitely want to switch to garchomp every time here and fire fang...i've "only" missed about once in the 20 or so times i've had to use it against abomasnow which is odd given the AI's hax. if I do miss I have Tyranitar's Rock Slide as a fall back (lol, either rock slide or stone edge is my least favorite attack) but yeah. also fire fang won't kill weavile at 100% HP, it does 95.17% max on neutral def from 200 Atk Lv50 Adamant Chomp (max). you only had one other option, which was switching in starmie to take the probable ice punch then switching in chomp to outrage both it and the next poke, which is likely to fall to starmie should garchomp, but yeah

i added this fact to the OP a few days ago...actually you know what? we kind of do have our own website here and all, i don't see what is stopping us from adding the real battle tower movesets to the site. and actually we could do it like we have our pokedex which allows us to sort by both number and name, i can ask chaos about it eventually

i dont know what the deal is with yanmega fasthippo, the only explanation would be a trick room that you forgot about because both stats and IVs dont explain it. maybe quick claw actually performs like trick room does when you're faster? that would be stupid and it's probably actually been disproven but lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)