1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

now that TRE gave us pretty much the complete list of trainers I guess we could have the trainer list on the site...

the main (trainer) page could look like this

Trainer Type - Name (Gender) - PKMN Specialization - PKMN Set(s)
    Ace Trainer - Irene (F) - Legendaries - All Sets
    Camper - Justyn (M) - One Pokémon Set - Set 4 Pokémon
    Idol - Claudia (F) - Normal & Electric Type - Set 4 Pokémon

the list would allow you to sort the trainers by every aspect...clicking a trainer name would link you to the individual trainer page which would list all of his Pokémon and maybe even what the trainer says

as for the actual Pokémon on each individual trainer page...

Pokémon - Set - Item - HP - Attack (negative/neutral/positive nature) - Defense - Special Attack - Special Defense - Speed - Move1 - Move2 - Move3 - Move4
    Glalie - 4 - Quick Claw - 187 - (90/100/110) - (90/100/110) - (118/132/145) - (90/100/110) - (90/100/110) - Blizzard - Dark Pulse - Explosion - Hail

I´m not sure how we would list the stats beside HP, because some Trainers/Pokémon will never have all 31 IVs...maybe list the worst case scenario only with the "positive nature 31 IV stat"?

a "tower trainer search" option would be awesome...

lol go me for ignoring the fact that there are about 5 people who truly care about the tower
  2. MKDSJedi

MKDSJedi

I thought up a "NFE Challenge" (unoriginality is ftw) team for the Battle Tower yesterday. Because I was bored. ^_^ I may try this out in the tower at some point. (Currently this is all theorymon)

Ralts @ Focus Sash
    Quiet 252 SpAtk 252 Def 6 SpDef
    Trace
    Destiny Bond
    Trick Room
    Psychic
    filler (Will-o-Wisp?)

Trick Room setter-upper and in theory killer/crippler of one of the opponent's Pokemon.

Clamperl @ Deepseatooth
    252 HP 252 SpAtk 6 Def
    Quiet
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    HP Electric
    Toxic

The sheer power of this thing on the special spectrum meant it pretty much HAD to be on this team...=D 572 Special Attack running BoltBeam and Surf should KO most things. Should I come up against something I can't kill (like Cresselias or Blisseys) I will hit Toxic and bring in my final team member...

Rhydon @ Choice Band
    Brave
    252 Atk 252 HP 6 SpDef
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    Thunder Fang? Ice Fang? Megahorn? Fire Fang?
    See above?

Basically I may just need some help with the final Pokemon's moveset, and whether it's a good idea or not. (Obviously Ralts is screwed over by Fake Out, and Weavile in particular ): )
  3. Shelcario

Shelcario

Make that 6 people who care about the Battle Tower, I know I don't post that often but I'm beginning my tower runs currently and I guess all the pokemon in the Battle Tower have random natures and here's one I didn't know until today, random IVs? I thought that the BT's pokemon had all 31's in every stat for their IVs.
  4. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

that doesn't appear to be the case until after Battle 49 and still may not be 100% afterwards. I know for certain that in Battle 20-something my once-danced Lucario has twice OHKOed a Nidoqueen with CC, which is impossible if it has 31/31 HP/Def IVs since even with a random -Def Nature, I can only do 89% max.

Peterko or anyone else, have you been able to pinpoint the trainers/pokemon who use 31 IV pokemon all the time? I"m guessing that one Beauty and Parasol Lady that use the Tier Two pokemon may not, but I don't know about the others and therefore assume 31 IVs after Battle 49. Obviously "better safe than sorry" is a good way to be, but if I don't have to Switch Starmie out of Medicham because Surf OHKOs (it does ~92% otherwise as experience has told me), it would be cool to know (even if that means I've lost a streak and have to use my Starmie team to rebuild it, haha) because:

637 Medicham Lonely Brightpowder Attract Focus Punch Drain Punch Ice Punch Atk/Speed

is a dickhead and uses whatever the hell it wants on the switch to Tyranitar or Garchomp, and, while Thunderpunch can't OHKO my Starmie (rebred staryu 3-4 weeks ago and got a first egg 26/3/30/30/24/31 modest natural cure staryu, lol), another medicham has a salac berry that will definitely activate with 31/31 HP/Def IVs and definitely be lame for the rest of my Star/Tyra/Chomp team which is why I don't even bother Surfing unless I know which Medicham it is. Just an example of where knowing IVs would help.
  5. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

I had a similar phenomenon to FastHippo in the Wifi Tower. The opponent started with Latios and used Draco Meteor, while I used Knock Off and continued with the normal setup. Then after a few turns having exhausted the opponent's PP the Latios uses Struggle and kills itself. I'm almost inclined to think the user erased every move except Draco Meteor >.>
  6. Shelcario

Shelcario

Is the Wi-Fi battle tower against actual players instead of computer players?
  7. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

It is against pokemon uploaded by the players that are controlled by the AI, although I don't think each person you fight has the exact same team with which they entered, having fought about a dozen different hacked shiny Pokemon from the same English trainer (The English names are the only ones I can remember battle to battle, I swear I've fought the exact same Suicune, Articuno, and Garchomp ten times).
  8. Shelcario

Shelcario

Oh so they don't take the time to breed their pokemon and just enter random pokemon?
  9. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

If you battle with multiple teams and upload every one of those teams each time, I believe you can have more than one team associated with your trainer. You're probably seeing the same teams over and over again because that person played that particular Wifi Tower room many times with the same team and uploaded the team each time. That repetition should be even more prominent as you reach higher ranks since there will be fewer "unique" players participating in those rooms.
  10. FastHippo

FastHippo

Unfortunately, there is not a fast way to test a team. After my first run I decided to "improve" my team. I have a few concerns about my Choice Scarfed Lucario. I don't trust it to take hits. With two Ice weak members, I hate the thought of being frozen on the switch. And, it can't really handle Gyardos 3 or 4 when they lead(except that they are incredibly greedy and Dance 3 or 4 times).

So, I decided to replace SR with Substitute, and replace Lucario with Lapras. Sub makes my Hippo much more flexible and greatly increases its survivability.

Lapras(Leftovers Ice Beam/Surf/Thunderbolt/Sub) is great, but slow. I switch it in to any Gyardos on turn one if I don't know which one it is. On turn 2, against something that's gonna sleep, it switches in to Water for no damage and Ice for very little damage. Of course, it also can't be frozen. It then subs, this allows it to often take out 2 pokemon. I went 91-0 with Lapras. So, what's the problem? I had a couple of semi-close calls. I decided to test Gyardos and change a move on my Hippo.

If nothing else, GYARDOS IS A JINX! The 91-0 streak ended at 105. The other 2 died in the 30s and the 40s. All involved Garchomp getting hit 5 consecutive times through Sand Veil and in one case the opponent was also paralyzed. Even though I felt unlucky, I could see that JINX, I mean Gyardos, wasn't right for this team.

I considered rolling the dice with a Yache Dragonite. Fortunately, DD Ferailgator convinced me not to even try it. Next, I wanted to use Leftovers Iron Defense/Sub/Calm Mind/Flash Cannon Bronzong. I still think this would work, but I don't have the time and I'm still afraid of being frozen on the switch. I also considered Leftovers Blizzard/Sub/Leech Seed/Protect Abomasnow. Two things concerned me, it's only neutral to Ice. And if Hail is still going after it dies, I will have made Froslass, Mamoswine and Glaceon even more of a problem. Granted, that is unlikely. Abomasnow is supposed to switch in to Grass, Ice or Water, in order to keep Hippo alive so that it can use the Sand, later. Again, the main problem is that it will take time to breed and test Abomasnow.

So, guess what? After all that I'm back to Lapras. I like this team, it gives me a lot of choices on how to win a battle. Anyway, I've incorporated a few new stategies. Lapras is still undefeated.

I have two teams, in theory, that I plan on using at some point. I don't think that they are as good as this one, though. But, i just recently came up with a team that I do think is better than this one. It won't be using weather and that's the only thing that I'm really concerned about.

Well, you'll be hearing about, or ignoring, that team later.
  11. Shelcario

Shelcario

I can't wait to see your new team FastHippo:) Anyway I'm currently on a singles streak of like 28, I know pretty embarrassing right? I'll post back when I've lost, which hopefully isn't soon and, I'm only using a random team that I've put together of Starmie,Salamence and, Flygon:)
  12. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

That's probably it, the Japanese players' names never stick in my mind so I can't remember if they're the same people after seeing the same pokemon. The fellow I noticed flooding the BT with his teams most was named MARVIN. After going a few rounds I figured I was facing the same person, in several different rooms in several different ranks, so I decided to look at a completely different rank's leaderboard. In Rank 10 Room 3's leaderboard there are three different entries for MARVIN. All the same location. And I had seen him in every room from about 34 to 40. I can't imagine what would drive someone to hack a team (He always had three shinies, any one of them that could learn it knew Fly, and great effort was made to ensure that each pokemon had three of the same type of attack) and spend so long for a cheated record. He must be bored off his ass...
  13. Shelcario

Shelcario

My streak finally ended at 45, pretty low but, it's one more higher than my last highest record, yay? Anyway I lost to the 782 Absol as it kept using Night Slash, I should've switched out my Starmie knowing that it couldn't stand up to Absol but, what do I do, leave it in like an idiot:( It gets KO'ed and then I send out Flygon who gets two hit KO'ed by Night Slash or CH'ed I can't remember and I then proceed to KO the Absol with Salamence who I should've switched out in the first place. The opponent then switches in 780 Forretress who proceeds to Rock Slide me to death, unfortunately:(
  14. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

weavile is probably a bigger problem for you even with salamence's intimidate, lol
  15. Shelcario

Shelcario

Yeah I was just using a random put together team although all of them were EV trained of course:) The major weakness of this team is stallers such as the version of Dusknoir who has brightpowder and likes to use Double Team and then Rest/Sleep Talk:( Another major weakness of the team is Ice pokemon but in that last streak Starmie pretty much handled most of the Ice Pokemon I came up against, either weakened them enough for a 2HKO or just OHKO'ed them.
  16. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Not sure if your Starmie's Timid or not, but even if it is, if your opponent's Starmie wins the speed tie, you'll have to hope that it doesn't OHKO you while you OHKOs it, since your other 2 pokemon will be outsped and OHKO'd. Of course having 2 pokemon weak to ice (4x weak in this case) is generally not a good idea, but yah like you said, it's just a random team, so I'm sure you'll make up a better one.
  17. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

O yeah, ... I'm not sure if this was a glitch and/or whether it has been noted before already (and whether or not this is the forum to ask this lol). Basically it went like this:

I was in Battle Tower and I was leading with a Fake Out Ambipom that has U-Turn, so it Fake Outs something and then U-Turns into my Choice Banded Staraptor which also has U-Turn. I tried to pick either Brave Bird or Close Combat for Staraptor, but then it doesn't let me, saying that Choice Band allows Staraptor to use only U-Turn, even though obviously it was Ambipom that used U-Turn only.

At first I was thinking, "Ok, maybe that's how it works, since Ambipom's U-Turn is technically in the same turn where Staraptor came in, it's like Staraptor itself used U-Turn."... But then again, I thought more and asked, "But what if Staraptor did NOT have U-Turn in its moveslot? Would that then mean that Staraptor cannot use any moves? That doesn't make sense." So yeah, that was weird.
  18. FastHippo

FastHippo

Yes, that's how it works, in that exact situation.
  19. No_One411

No_One411

Hmmm...interesting. When I get the chance, I'll test it for you.

BTW, my streak ended on 273. Here was the team I was using.

Gengar: Focus Sash: Levitate
    6Hp / 252SpA / 252Spd @ Timid

-Hypnosis
    -Counter
    -Shadow Ball
    -Destiny Bond

Garchomp: Yache Berry: Sand Veil
    252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Hp @ Adamant

Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Fire Fang
    Outrage

Zapdos: Leftovers: Pressure
    252 Hp / 220 Def / 36 Spd @ Bold

Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power Ice / Grass
    Roost
    Substitute

I lost to a Private Investigator wielding 3 1-hit KOing move Pokemon.
    He had a Quick Claw Crawdaunt, Scarfed Rhyperior, and a third poke that I didn't get to see. C=(<.<Q)

So lame, The biggest area of hack comes from the 1-Hit KO moves. Double teamers I just stall out with Zapdos if need be. Other than that, it should be a straight sweep with Gengar + Garchomp for the majority of Battle Tower. I though Abomasnow would screw me over...but it hasn't happened yet.
  20. Shelcario

Shelcario

What about the Dusknoir with Rest/Sleep Talk/Payback/Double Team? How do you go about stalling him out, he's given me quite some trouble because I've even lost to him with my random team:(
  21. MKDSJedi

MKDSJedi

It's well known that U-Turning into a Pokemon that knows U-Turn and has Choice Band/Specs/Scarf attached is forced to use U-Turn.
  22. FastHippo

FastHippo

Congratulations on your streak. How do you effectively use Hypnosis over something like Thunderbolt? If I'm in a situation where I NEED Hypnosis to work, I wouldn't want a 30% chance of failure. It just seems to me that if Hypnosis missing doesn't cause you any huge problems, you'd be better off with another damage causing attack.

If you believe Hypnosis is still your best option, please explain why.

How did your Gengar lose?
  23. No_One411

No_One411

Well, first against the Dusknoir. I haven't faced that particular Dusknoir surprisingly. I have faced the one with Toxic, Double Team, Confuse Ray, and Protect. But heres how I would go through it.

-> Paypack doesn't do much to Zapdos. I just set up a Substitute and try to hit it with thunderbolt/hidden power. Because the AI doesn't use max PP, It will run out sooner than I do. I know it sounds silly, but Zapdos can PP stall quick easily. It takes a lot of time and patience. I think the latter is what got me through so many of the stall wars. You can't get frustrated and make a fatal mistake during a stall war.

On the subject of Hypnosis vs Thunderbolt. I used Thunderbolt in the beginning. I then decided to swap out the thunderbolt with hypnosis as a test. It worked out a lot better than I thought. The 30% missing hasn't really screwed me that badly. Because of the sash, I have essentially 2 tries. Also, with Counter, Hypnosis, Destiny Bond, one way or another, I'm incapacitating a poke. The biggest benefit I found was that if hypnosis hit, I could switch in Garchomp and almost always get up a free swords dance.

It all comes down to personal preference and a little bit of luck. Hypnosis hasn't really let me down....accuracy wise.

Ironically, if I had Thunderbolt the match I lost, I probably would have stood a better chance... Surprisingly, it wasn't the accuracy problem, but rather that I NEEDED Thunderbolt to kill the poke.

As to how it lost...my 7th match was against the PI that says that he "will give it his all in the match." or something.

He sends out a Crawdaunt. At this point, I'm HOPING it isn't the Quick Claw Guilltoine one. But as soon as the Quick Claw animation started I knew this match would be one of the rigged ones we all know so well. I was hoping that Focus Sash worked through the 1-hit KO move. I quickly checked to see whether or not sash still works. Thankfully it did. But in my excitement I accidentally misclicked Destiny Bond, which sucked....

So Gengar died...

I send in Garchomp to kill the Crawdaunt, which it did quite easily. However, in came the Rhyperior, and this is where I seriously hate the fact that I was scammed in my Garchomp. Choice Scarf Rhyperior only reaches like 294 or something at Lvl 100.... I'm running an Adamant Garchomp instead of Jolly. When I traded for this particular Garchomp, I was told that it had 31 speed Ivs. Because I'm too trusting, I didn't bother to check it. The Garchomp was traded to me at Lvl. 75, so I couldn't "easily" tell the max speed. The Rhyperior outsped my Garchomp and Horn drilled it to death...The same for Zapdos. And thus ended my streak.

The reason I lost was ridiculous. Accuracy wasn't the problem, the fact that I needed another attack was. The misclick didn't improve my situation. Then I find out that my Garchomp didn't have 31 speed Ivs, but rather 18. In the 200+ battles, everything worked perfectly up until 273.

I'm currently working on a different team that would hopefully minimize the chance of being haxed with 1 Hit KO moves. Hint: It involves Hail. And I'm definitely changing back to Thunderbolt and getting a new Garchomp.

C=(<.<Q)
  24. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Are you saying that Gengar got hit by Guillotine?
  25. Shelcario

Shelcario

Yeah because Gengar is immune to Guillotine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)