1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastHippo

FastHippo

There's the rub. How does Guillotine kill Gengar?
  2. No_One411

No_One411

Hang on, I didn't copy my notes correctly. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't copy over the moves.

I looked up the Numbers.
    Crawdaunt 332 - Aerial Ace, Guilltoine, Ancientpower, Frustration
    Rhyperior 741 - Rock Wrecker, Horn Drill, Earthquake, Megahorn
    Unknown -

This is where my assumptions kill me. I assumed that Guilltoine was "Water" type, which is weird. Heres what my notes say.

Opponent sends out Crawdaunt. My Gengar is sent out.
    Quick Claw Activates
    Crawdaunt uses *Ancient Power
    Critical Hit!
    Crawdaunt raises Stats
    Gengar holds on with Focus Sash.
    Gengar uses Destiny Bond
    It failed
    Quick Claw Activates
    Crawdaunt uses Aerial Ace
    Gengar faints.
    Sends out Garchomp
    Quick Claw Activates
    Crawdaunt used Guilltoine
    But it missed
    Garchomp used Outrage
    Crawdaunt fainted.
    Sends outs Rhyperior.
    Rhyperior used Horn Drill
    Its a 1-Hit KO!
    Garchomp fainted
    Sends out Zapdos
    Rhyperior used Horn Drill
    Zapdos fainted

Hope this clears a few things up. Again, I'm sorry for not copying my notes correctly.
  3. Shelcario

Shelcario

I should take notes while I battle to learn what I'm doing wrong:)
  4. No_One411

No_One411

haha, after Battles 100 or so, I realized that I could have avoided a few mistakes in my gameplay that would have made my victory a lot easier. Of, course, recording EACH AND EVERY battle is kinda pointless. So, I just started to record the ones that I felt would be difficult, involve a stall war, or lasted a lot longer than it should have. It usually invovled the 7th consecutive battle of each run.
  5. nygerman

nygerman

Streak 160 and still going

MY team:

Latios evs 252 sp att and 252 in spd,6 in hp

held item: soul dew
    nature modest 30iv in sp att and 31iv in spd

attacks:
    dragon pulse
    thunderbolt
    ice beam
    energy ball

I KOed most of the battle tower pokemon with this

Gharchomp

Adament nature
    evs 252 in att and spd and 6 in hp
    31ivs in both att and spd
    item: Focus sash
    sword dance
    dragon claw
    earthquake
    stone edge

first set up a sword dance. Which is guareenteted to suceed unless frozen, paralized, or burned. Then sweep. Main Weakness is skarmory.
    For skarmony, Set up additional sword dance or swictch

Blissey
    bold 252 ivs in def and hp and 6 in sp def
    held item-leftovers
    31ivs in hp and 29ivs in def
    seismic toss
    counter
    thunder wave
    softboil

counter attacking based sweepers
    seimic toss remaining
    For gengar, try to make him struuggle to death
  6. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

Notes are pretty useful, I know people who went to the tournament who said that just keeping track of what they did step by step helped them make more rational and less panicked choices. I know Mold Breaker Pinsir in the tower can surpass Sturdy types, but I don't even it would be able to hit Gengar. Gengar is nice in the sense that it is immune to 3/4 of the OHKO attacks and has access to a move that weakens most of the Sheer Cold users.

EDIT: @nygerman Soul Dew doesn't increase Latios/Latias' Sp.Atk and Sp.Def in the Battle Tower.
  7. No_One411

No_One411

AFAIK, Soul Dew doesn't work in the Battle Tower. Of course, I've been known to make wrong assumptions. Can someone verify this?

As for Garchomp, I would switch Stone Edge with Fire Blast/Fire Fang. If you choose Fire Blast, change the nature to something else so Fire Blast can hit harder.

In my experience, taking notes is a very simple concept that can take you very far. When you take notes, it allows for analysis of plays and errors.

Hmmm, Pinsir 830, Choice Scarf, Earthquake, Guilltoine, X-Scizzor, Close Combat can prove really dangerous. Gengar is again a pretty good answer.

Because 1-Hit KO moves are usually related to Battle Tower incidents, I will ask this question here.

- Can you counter 1-Hit KO moves if your Pokemon has a focus sash?
  8. nygerman

nygerman

My gharchomp knows because of all the ice and flying pokemon
  9. Shelcario

Shelcario

Yes OHKO moves can be countered with a focus sash.
  10. MKDSJedi

MKDSJedi

Can OHKO moves be Mirror Coated back at the opponent, out of interest?
  11. Bozo

Bozo

i've finally got up to rank 10 in the wifi battle tower :D

same team as the regular BT

gengar - hasty - focus sash - shadow ball, thunderbolt, counter, destiny bond (252 SA/Spd)

snorlax - sassy - thick fat - leftovers - curse, rest, body slam, fire punch (standard defensive spread)

suicune - bold - chesto berry - calm mind, rest, surf, ice beam (252 hp/def)

so, has anyone else done much in the wifi BT? the last few rounds were pretty hard, with some of the haxy teams. they were also a bit boring, since there seemed to only be about 10 or so teams i kept facing. actually i faced the exact same team on the 6th and 7th battle when i finally beat the 7th wave of trainers.

so many bronzongs. so many metagrosses..... gengars. even a lot of brelooms (which would have easily killed me if the AI wasnt so stupid). i guess they must work! but the one i hated the most was this lapras with curse, rest (chesto), ice shard, sheer cold. i really just had to rely on luck. i couldnt 2HKO it with thunderbolt. and sheer cold just seemed to hit so often. when i finally got through round 9, it was only because i managed to get my snorlax set up against it, while it missed sheer cold 3 times.

anyway, the other thing is, it seemed if i lost while i was rank 9, it would automatically demote me to rank 8, whereas in the lower ranks, i would at least get a few tries before getting booted down.

i can take a picture of my rank 10 screen if i need to for proof :D (is there even a list of rank 10 people?)
  12. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

fissure, guillotine and horn drill are "physical" so they can be Countered

sheer cold is "special" so it can be Mirror Coated

of course, you need focus sash/focus band to pull it off
  13. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

Should I change my team?

Here is my team right now for double battles:

Metagross@ Occa Berry (fire resist)- (lead)
    clear body
    adamant, evd 252atk, 104speed, 152hp
    meteor mash
    earthquake
    explosion
    agility

Gengar@ Focus Sash - (lead)
    levitate
    timid, evd 252satk, 252speed, 4hp
    shadow ball
    focus blast
    thunderbolt
    destiny bond

Azelf@ life orb
    levitate
    hasty, evd 252satk, 60atk, 196speed
    psychic
    fire blast
    grass knot
    explosion

Dusknoir@ leftovers
    pressure
    impish, evd 252hp, 52def, 200sdef, 4atk
    shadow sneak
    will-o-wisp
    protect
    pain split

Here is the change I am considering making:

Metagross@ Choice Scarf
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Explosion
    Rain Dance

Gengar@ focus sash
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Thunder
    Destiny Bond

Azelf and Dusknoir will stay the same.

The main reason for this is because the last 3 battles i had were all close calls and all had Tyranitar starters, I figured it would be easier to win if Gengar kept his focus sash and got an extra turn to use destiny bond instead of being picked off by sandstorm. also rain dance makes thunder useable for gengar for those pokemon with damp that he is usually just shy of 1hkoing with t-bolt (golduck, poliwrath, etc...) and reduces fire damage to meta. but the downside is you'll have to switch after use. Is it worth it??????????????????????????????
  14. nygerman

nygerman

sorry guys for the misinformation
    My streak is 161, I acciently put 160
  15. Expert Evan

Expert Evan every battle has a smell!
    is a Forum Moderator

Looks like next time I try my streak in the battle tower I'll try Jumpman16's team that used lopunny as I just recently bred for one which has quint-flawless IVs of 31/31/31/29/31/31 along with the egg moves of switcheroo, sweet kiss & fake tears (optional).
  16. Darkflagrance

Darkflagrance

Shuppet or something Ghost over Ralts to avoid Fake Out.
  17. MKDSJedi

MKDSJedi

Shuppet is a good idea actually. Insomnia or Frisk?
    Sneak/TR/DB/Sucker Punch?

On Rhydon I will probably put in Megahorn (for Cresselia) and a Fighting-type attack (for Blisseys). Should I drop one of the STAB moves?
  18. Shelcario

Shelcario

I'd go with Insomnia because being immune to sleep status is a plus. But then Frisk also reveals the hold item of your opponent which could be useful in determining what version of opponents' pokemon you're up against.
  19. Bozo

Bozo

hey, do you actually get anything if you beat rank 10 in the wifi battle tower? it took me ages to get there, but i dont really want to try it, just to lose and get demoted, or win and get nothing for it. i was kinda hoping to get a great world ability ribbon or somehing.....
  20. McGrrr

McGrrr Facetious
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I can't seem to get to 100 any more... I lost after streaks of 60, 53, 97 and 67. This is getting tiresome fast. I must have been really fortunate to hit 149 previously. Lucario is the weak link here; too slow and extremespeed has been disappointingly weak. I'm done with battle tower until I get Platinum, when I will breed that Infernape and get a better Latios. Scizor is probably replacing Gyarados too, though Charizard 624 would be a bitch.
  21. Ashenlock

Ashenlock

You get the exact same response from the attendant and 10 BP, except you don't move up a rank, you just keep challenging Rank 10 rooms.
  22. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

Ok, so i tried choice scarf and rain dance on metagross, and thunder on Gengar for my double battle team, but Metagross was still slower than Gengar. I forgot Choice scarf isnt the same as Agility, but is there a way for Metagross to be faster than Timid Gengar if Meta has a scarf? My gengar dosent have perfect iv's 26-28 i think in speed with 252 ev's. I mean if Metagross had an Adamant nature with 252 evs in speed and a 31 iv would he be faster than my Gengar with a Choice Scarf? If not than would he with a Jolly nature instead? Please help me, im not good at figuring any of this stuff out. I just want him to be faster so he can Rain Dance and then Gengar can use Thunder with 100% accuracy.
  23. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[size=-2]please, use the sticky simple question, simple answer topic, this has "nothing" to do with the tower...you can´t even figure out this stuff by yourself but still make #2 in doubles...I mean using the internet is harder than figuring that out...there´s obviously something wrong here

I´m also getting sick of "hi this is what I plan to use, will it work?" posts...this is a records topic, every acknowledged record was achieved by someone who theorymoned, bred, built and actually tested their team many times, it didn´t took 10 seconds but weeks or months...

seriously it´s ridiculous if someone asks for advice and throws a XY, salamence, flygon team in the air and wonders why he hasn´t come far...

smogon has all the info you need, guides and articles from dedicated people who spent so much time working on them, so please, people, learn to read and use your brains, hell even reading a part of this topic should help you...there´s the moveset list, the trainer list, links to the most succesful teams with descriptions and strategies, plenty of very useful posts from very experienced tower vets like TRE and Jump, etc.

now that I´m surfing on a "what relatively pisses me off in my favourite internet topic" wave...people who post their first (record) streak, which is not even finished yet, OK if you plan on making a 6 months pokébreak or whatever, but if you could wait for a week or two and finish the streak and then post, do you seriously feel the need to make the list as soon as possible? wow

ehm, keep on posting whatever you like guys, this is a once in a lifetime post, I have no right to complain and I don´t have a problem with updating the list, which I will continue to do, although finding 1-2 records per 3 pages is not very cool

yeah this is what you call "spamming your own topic"
    [/size]

EDIT: now that I read the first sentence of your post again purple man it kinda made me laugh out loud, no offense (thanks)

EDIT 2: McGraw what did you lose against in those last four streaks of yours? Also I like the infernape idea (I suck for having blaze kick, grass knot, thunderpunch and nasty plot as my current egg moves, both parents with x/x/30/31/31/31 :/), although you´d get problems with faster psychic types like alakazam if you used it with gyarados+latios, or a certain dusknoir hmm...a guitarist trainer for example
  24. AhrenElessedil

AhrenElessedil

Sorry. I'm guilty.
  25. FastHippo

FastHippo

It's worth repeating, "Thank you, for the work that you do on this thread."

My first run was probably the worst example of, "Unfinished Streak Update Syndrome". AKA I thought I was doing something good and didn't know I was pissing you off.

I (incorrectly?) consider this the thread to discuss the BT. If we are only to post finished BT streaks here, can someone like Jumpman create a BT discussion thread? I would do it myself, but I can see it being closed, because there is already a BT thread.

I like to read about the progress of someone's team, before they are finished. Granted, most just say, "Here's my team, here's my streak." Those I don't enjoy. But, when someone like Jumpman posts about his team, I do enjoy that.

I was going to post on the progress of my modified team, soon. I don't feel that I can, now. I would not have done it to get on the list. I can't get a new spot, anyway. I was hoping that there are some people that might benefit from my updates.

Bottomline, it's your thread, you do the work. All you have to say is, "Cuz I sez so." and there will be no further discussion from me.

@Peterko, thanks, I feel better, now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)