1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KwameTheGreat

KwameTheGreat

lMAO. I could just imagine it now. Im in the Battle Factory now, doing quite well since I know a lot about POkemon. But Im on battle 21 in the BT. I haven't finished yet. I became cocky AGAIN and let Breloom stay in on a Typhlosion. Bekuz 50% when I come in on a POkemon that can beat it, it doesn't use a move that will kill it. Well unfortunately, it did. OVerheart/Flamethrower I think. I forgot what happened, But my Raikou ended up against a EQ Lucario O_o
  2. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

Platinum movesets in DP BT?

OK, are we allowed to use the platinum moves in battle tower or is that considered cheating? I got a pretty good Zapdos with moves: Thunderbolt, HP ice, Heat wave, and roost. Just wanted to know so that if i got a record with it if it would actually count or not, but i dont know what it would be paired up with anyway. Probablly Blissey and some physical sweeper.
  3. Shelcario

Shelcario

Yes it would be considered legal.
  4. Morm

Morm

Jumpman I've only been dating this girl for like 2 months. I think you need to step up your game in real life here. Think to yourself: If she doesn't want to hit up battle tower or watch you/listen to you winning (as I know you'll trash talk the DS like I do), are you really interested? She should really be enjoying/craving your battle towerings, am I right Lee? I mean peterko already showed his dedication by buying a new DS...

subsequently I'm closing in on my old record on battle tower, it's something like 998 or whatever. Just kidding, heh, but anyways I'm moving on up!

Kwame battle 21 is hard be careful.
  5. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Those are called tradebacks for future reference and I think there was a consensus to allow them.

Oh and Jump: Telling your girlfriend about your Pokémon and playing BT in front of her is "taking it to the next level"? If you're on a ten hour trip with her, then you probably won't scare her off with your mad battling skills.

I was thinking of my first BT team to go something like this:

Sceptile @ Petaya / Salac Berry
    Substitute
    Endeavor
    Quick Attack
    Leaf Storm

I could drop Sub for Counter and Sash, though.

Generic Technitop
    Fake Out
    Mach Punch
    Bullet Punch
    Close Combat

I figure that priority attacks would be really nice plus Hitmontop can take about one hit with max HP so hax isn't so bad

I have no idea as to what to use for a third team member. I was thinking maybe a Swords Dancing Sash Weavile or something to punish Ghosts and stuff with, generally wearing down my opponent and letting Hitmontop clean up the mess, but I have no idea how effective anything would be as I haven't had a nice long look at all the movests yet. It may depend entirely on what I've bred.
  6. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

OK you probably misunderstood what I wrote back then, I meant that with two "lites" you play simultaneously (single tower as well), with the same team on both or with two different teams and if you lose one of the streaks you´re still at around the same number on your second DS which lets you "continue" your streak...which means you save time

obviously "link" is only possible if you have a pokéfriend or two DS and play with yourself...of course I will eventually play link tower, because TRE´s dominance in every tower mode is frightening and thus motivating

yeah tradeback teams and their records will be part of this records list as well, jumpman posted already one...if the "tradeback" status is not obvious from the team you post, it would be nice to mention that your team uses tradebacks just for clarification

also loling hard at mormoopid and his "style of play" :D

I fully understand jump, IMO the info that you play pokémon 2-3 hrs on weekdays and 5+ on weekends would seriously scare the shit out of like 99% of the women out there...as for me, I wouldn´t even know how to tell her about it, generally only a few people know I play pkmn and noone probably knows the whole extent of it (which of course only die-hard competitive players who post on smogon understand)

...back to breeding team 2 pokémon #3 so I can try the dual DS play as soon as possible (of course my old DS turning itself on and off randomly could kill the process)
  7. KwameTheGreat

KwameTheGreat

Shoot my girl knows what Im doing everytime she texts/calls.

Going at it again with my old team. I really want to Ev train another Breloom. Somehow I always mess up. This one is Jolly with 31 in speed and its 243. Far from 260. But whatever is clever. Lost in the BF at 40+. I did something stupid like switch in the wrong pokemon for a kill. I shoudve use EQ on Tyranitar but used Hydro Pump. He killed me. =/
  8. FishMasacre

FishMasacre

Why have you removed the over 900 streak?
  9. KwameTheGreat

KwameTheGreat

Do you HONESTLY believe that quy achieved 900+? Somehow he survived throuqh ALL the hax, using nothinq more then standard Pokemon we all use, we standard movesets we all use.
  10. Shelcario

Shelcario

I'm so happy right now:D I'm actually winning in the Battle Tower and haven't been defeated so far with my mini Baton Passing team, at 42, overall best record is only 45:(
  11. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

Anyone know if Platinum is going to allow Soul Dew to work in the battle tower? That would be awesome. I am going to make a team with Latios and just remembered Soul Dew doesnt work. In my opinion if they took out soul dew they should also have taken out the 1HKO moves, or at least quick claw, or something from the AI ya know, even things up a bit and some of those impressive streaks with awesome teams such as Jump and TRE and would have gone soooooo much further. Then again it would turn the AI's Latios/Latias into gods as well if they had it. I would still like to see it work in Platinum tho.
  12. KwameTheGreat

KwameTheGreat

Woww talk about Hax. I spore'd this Muk at least 4 times and guess what happened? Yup next turn it woke up and Gunk Shot'd my whole team to death. I didn't have a EQ to stop it either. And somehow outspeed my Feraligatr. I couldn't even FP it kuz it would wake up and hit with a 70% move EVRYTIME. Woke up every fckin next turn. I rather I be OHKO move'd to death.
  13. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Have you seen the BT Threat List? You really need to use that list if you want to make a serious run in the BT. If you consult the threat list, you'll see that 690 Muk carries a Quick Claw, which is why you were outsped. As for hax, get used to it. The AI luck is "enhanced" in the BT, which means you will see lots of bad luck for your team. Adjust your team and your play accordingly.
  14. Syberia

Syberia [custom user title]
    is a Pre-Contributor

Hit a streak of 89 before I totally misplayed against a Flygon and ended up losing to a Heracross. Oddly, there was no luck involved, I just let my Honchkrow activate its sash needlessly when I could have switched to Suicune instead.

Honchkrow @Focus Sash
    Naughty, Insomnia
    252 Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
    Sucker Punch
    Drill Peck
    Heat Wave
    Superpower

Latios @Lum Berry
    Adamant
    Don't remember the EVs but max Attack, enough speed to beat Lucario (I think), and the rest in HP
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Dragon Dance
    Recover

Suicune @Chesto Berry
    Bold
    252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Speed
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Calm Mind
    Rest
  15. kd24

kd24 yo daddy musta been a drug dealer? why, cuz you're dope
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

152 Wins! I have been engulfed in the battle tower for the last few days so I am thrilled that I finally hit a leaderboard number. Didnt lose to hax, lost to a bad matchup that I really had no chance on winning.

My Team (a different one from the ones I have shown)

Garchomp: Salac Berry
    Jolly
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw / Aerial Ace

You see Aerial ace here for a reason. Until battle 64 I used Aerial Ace. This of course excludes facing palmer the second time where I wanted dragon claw. Anyway battle tower hax like double team is so common through those battles that i needed it. I had a salac berry and it seemed like sub salac sd chomp was a good idea. it worked very well.

Latias: Leftovers
    Calm
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt

Kind of like Jumps Latias which gave me inspiration for this team. I used Rest for the first 50 match ups or so before finally switching out for Thunderbolt because it seemed that I needed it to win. Substitute on a weak attack, CM up, and win.

I had a ice and a dragon weakness. I was pretty sure I wanted Lucario and indeed I did go with a Focus Sash Lucario. However this wasnt the standard SD Lucario...

Lucario: Focus Sash
    Mild
    56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Extremespeed
    - HP Ice
    - Aura Sphere
    - Psychic

This was a really fun sweeper in the Battle Tower if used correctly. Extremespeed was very fun for finishing off fast weak pokemon. A pretty much amazing sweeper set with HP Ice / AS / Psychic. Psychic seems like an odd choice over Dark Pulse but it still worked out well, especially against poison types. Dark Pulse really didn't cover anything else anyway.

the gameplan going into each match was dependant on the lead (so i had to refer back to the battle tower moveset guide). If it was a lead that was likely to either use a non attack or a weak attack first turn I would sub with Chomp and prepare to SD and sweep. If I was slower or I had a weakness to the opponent (i was facing an ice beam user) i would go to lucario. Focus Sash helped deal with anything using a surprise move like mamoswine. By this point i should have a 3-2 lead with lucario or a 3-2 lead with a SD garchomp with either a sub or a salac activation. Lucario would then try to sweep or if the opponent was faster, I would use Extremespeed. Then I would go to latias if I liked the match up and felt like Sub CMing or go back to Chomp and do the exact same thing except with SD instead. This would usually give me a 2-1 lead that would usually win me the game at the end 2-0 or 1-0.
  16. KwameTheGreat

KwameTheGreat

But wakinq up on every freakin next turn is BEYOND hax. Man I wished I had a EQ'er.
  17. lati0s

lati0s

sorry if this has already been answered but if you use lati@s with soul dew in the battle do you get the effect or not
    ive been using soul dew latios for a while and it hasn't seemed to be doing as much damage as i expected. i haven't run any calcs it just seems that way.
    i have also noticed that a lot of people have lati@s on thier record teams holding an item that would be completely out classed by soul dew(life orb,choice specs etc.)
  18. FastHippo

FastHippo

You just answered your own question.
  19. Kecleon

Kecleon

WI FI:I got to rank 6 with this team lost to a latios/heatran/Hitmonlee user:

[​IMG]
    Machamp @ Leftovers
    Adamant
    252 attack 252 def, 6spD

-Dynamic Punch
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch
    -Thunderpunch

Machamp worked great killing those dragonite, aggrons, and other steels. Killed lucarios and blisseys which was pretty funny on the Battle Tower.

[​IMG]
    Kingler @ Choice Scarf
    Adamant
    255 speed 255 attack

-X scissor
    -Crabhammer
    -Rock Slide
    -Brick Break

Description: belive it or not this thing saved me A LOT. Killed those heatran and other fast pokemon. Killed a jolteon unsubbed once which was really risky with crabhammers accuracy.

Last:

[​IMG]
    Honchcrow @ Life Orb
    Jolly
    252 attack 252 speed 6spA

-Drill Peck
    -Sucker Punch
    -HP Fire
    -Nasty Plot

Description: FUCKING CM LATIOS!!!!!!!!11111 Lost to that bitch when honch and latios were last together and I predicted horribly with sucker punch instead of drill pecking =/. I needed nigthslash.

Wins in a row: 102
  20. Serano

Serano

Finally

After two failed attempts (69, 88) I have cracked 100 wins in the battle tower with the following team

Starmie Modest@ Expert Belt
    4HP 252 SpA 252Speed
    -Surf
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Psychic
    The same one Jumpman and lots of other people use. It's IVs are far from perfect - it can rarely ohko Heatran, but it can take hits really well - AI Starmie's Thunderbolt, Infernape's Thunderpunch, Returns from Granbull

Scizor - Technician - Lum Berry
    Not sure of the EV spread, but mixed between HP, Attack and Speed
    173/171/116/62/96/102
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance
    -Quick Attack
    - X Scissor

The savour of this team so any times by surviving hits with 1HP. The main reason I use this is for the 4x grass immunity. Grass types which threaten Starmie/Tyranitar/Garchomp teams are now setup fodder. Also takes care of Bronzong and Cresselia Pychic types and OHKO users like the DT/Rest/Sleep Talk/Sheer Cold Glalie, Lapras and Walrein

Garchomp Adamant @ Choice Scarf
    -Earthquake
    -Outrage
    -Fire Fang
    -Aerial Ace

Yep - another copy. I had been using a Sub/SD version but only got to battle 49 every two or three tries

The biggest threats to this team are:
    Regice is especially difficult because of the Thunderbolt/Ice Beam combo. Have to let Scizor weaken it and have Garchomp finish it off. Had some very close calls. Ace Trainer Ice were always very tough

Dusknoir, Drifblim: Dusknoir with Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Shadow Punch and Thunderpunch was an absolute nightmare. Having Night Slash on Scizor would really help. Starmie could usually survive a Shadow Punch to Psychic or Surf twice then let Garchomp finish off

Froslass: Scizor could usually take care of it, but was always tense

Snorlax: Had a very lucky critical hit Earthquake against a Curselax that was setting up. Again, Scizor would have to weaken it and let Garchomp finish off

The 99th and 100th wins were nailbiting

99 was a PI with two OHKO users (Dugtrio and Glalie)
    100 was Electivire, which Garchomp finished off,
    Trick Room Bronzong which CH Scizor as it set up, so Starmie had to clean it up - luckily it was able to survive two gyro balls and 3HKO with surf and
    Honchcrow which was OHKO by Outrage

I am posting this now because I will take a break from battle tower so my nerves can heal
  21. shipship

shipship

Ugh I haven't gotten close to reaching my 267 streak. Mostly I'm trying out new teams and getting pwned really badly in fights 70-100.

My latest ending:

I send out Azelf (NP sweeper with Psychic, T-Bolt, Flamethrower).
    Opponent sends out Walrein (I hate this guy).

Azelf used Nasty Plot!
    Walrein used Sheer Cold (ugh not this one)!
    It's a OHKO! Azelf survives with Focus Sash (my protection vs this crap).

Azelf used Thunderbolt! Attack missed (fucking brightpowder).
    Walrein used Sheer Cold!
    Hits me again for 1HP damage lol...

That was just the beginning and the AI got some more quick claw hax after that to beat me.
  22. Serano

Serano

I have a theory about the hax in the tower: the better the pokemon you use, the more hax the AI has against you. Shipship's story is a good example: two OHKOs, Brightpowder and quick claw - using an Azelf. I've only got to 100 or so, but the only real hax has been the odd crit - in fact I think I've haxed the tower more than it haxed me (although mismagius's thunderbolt paralysed twice in a row (lum berry cured the first time))

Has anyone else had a similar experience of being haxed more when using legendaries than non-legendaries.
  23. Eppie

Eppie

Just made it till #154 with Jumpman's team (lop/luc/lat)
    Haven't had much problems yet, only some close calls by not paying enough attention (and once playing drunk lawl)

It is was third try with this team, the first streak ended up #118, and the second run I didn't pay enough attention which made me lose 'round #70.

I really feel like I know how to use this team right in the Battle Tower, and I also think I'm able to break through at least #200 the second time I'll try.

Lost against Raichu 4 (Volt Tackle) / Nidoqueen 4 (Earthquake)

Lopunny switchscarft Raichu into volt tackle as it 2HKOed me. Latios took out Raichu and then was facing a Froslass. I 2HKO'd Froslass as it managed to break my sub. (I had no CM set up's) Latios did 40-50% to Nidoqueen as it KO'd me after. Lucario's dark pulse left Nidoqueen at
    1%-5% HP, as her EQ 1HKO'd me =/

The only differince I made on Jumpmans team is Recover over Rest on Latios,
    because I don't like to be asleep 2-5 turns. Also I chose recover over rest because Latios hardly get's in situations where it needs near max recovery, or rest for burn/paralysis/poison.

I'll post a picture when I manage to get my hands on one.
  24. shipship

shipship

LOL the CPU will hax you equally badly regardless of what you use.

In all seriousness, I don't think the AI "cheats." It's really just selective memory because those of us who have a few thousand BP's have fought so many battles that we remember all the times the extremely improbable happened. In the long run, the improbable becomes just a question of "when," not "if." We also tend to forget about the times we get lucky instead of CPU, mostly because we rarely need the luck to win. There are times I get 3 critical hits in a row, but they happen in instances where I would have won anyway.

It's a bit like poker. I play professionally, so I deal with ridiculous suckouts on a daily basis almost. It doesn't mean that "the better you are at poker the worse luck you have," it just means that better players have the best hand more often so they will have more suckouts against them.
  25. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

This. My streak had luck going in my favor often (ignore the fact I used Clefable). I'm sure I'll be able to debunk the "weak Pokemon, less hax" theory when I get around to starting a new streak.

But it's conceivable to think Emerald's Frontier AI "cheats" (as a side effect of the wonky RNG).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)