1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastHippo

FastHippo

I disagree with your poker analogy. The distribution of the cards is indeed random. You are competing against other players, not the House. They would lose more than they could possibly gain by "haxing" a player. In BT, as you already know, all players compete against the AI.

I don't have selective memory or a few thousand BPs(I have hundreds). I have over 700 wins in my only five BT runs. I haven't blamed hax for ending my streaks, but I have seen quite a bit of it.

In my experience, it appears that the AI gets temporarily stuck on a result. The final distribution is unaffected, but streaks are more likely. Streaks help the AI a lot more than they help us.
  2. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I have long suspected that the AI luck hax is not just specific to the AI's team, but that it extends to the entire field of play. It seems that my BT teams get many more CH's and secondary effects (Freeze on IB, etc) than in normal battles. I think the AI teams APPEAR to get more luck than me, because more AI teams have items, moves, and abilities that rely on luck. So the number of "luck opportunities" are greater for the AI, thus producing a larger number of "lucky outcomes" for the AI. Since my teams rely very little on luck, they have less opportunities and less lucky outcomes.

I have considered testing out a team full of Quick Claws, OHKO moves, etc -- just to see if I get more luck with those moves. Unfortunately, teams built on luck are horribly unreliable -- even if the BT AI skews the luck in my favor with those moves. Therefore, I'd likely not get very far with a team reliant on hax. That's why I have never actually tested my theory.
  3. KwameTheGreat

KwameTheGreat

I think the qame is proqrammed to cheat in some way. Honestly. Ever wonder why the CPU was about to finish you off and you switch out, and instead of using a SE move, it uses somethinq that will be LESS effective but MORE effective to the Pokemon you switched in? Like say I have a Breloom in aqainst a Mamoswine. I don't want to qet Ice Fang'd or anythinq similar so I switch out into say, a Lucario. But instead it uses EQ. Which would be NVE against Loom but SE aqainst Lucario. I think the game is proqrammed so it tracks what move you pick and then it''ll do the most effective move. Since when the CPU predicts? I would'nt be surprised if that happened and the CPU trainer slide on the screen and said "I seen the switch", and then slide back and whooped ya azz.
  4. shipship

shipship

I think you must have misunderstood me because I don't disagree with what you said there.

I implied that neither the AI in the BT nor poker "cheats." It only appears to cheat because a player with higher skill is less reliant on luck and will not use luck-based strategies. In other words, bad players appear to get lucky more because they have more opportunities to do so.
  5. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

i already posted about this, read the last 6-8 pages of this thread and the entire thread if you want to continue adding to it, pretty much all of your posts here have detailed your ignorance of the BT facts that dozens of us have posted

I don't think that theory is true, or else my Cresselia, Latios, Scizor team wouldn't be ~470-2 right now. Two pokemon the game considers legendary and I win over 99.5% of the time...I think the game's "hax" is constant throughout, and you just have to be ready for it, both through your team and your own awareness.

you are going to lose to thunderwave eventually, trust me. i dont think it's worth it to stall thunderwave out of PP because then latios only gets three CMs tops with a sub...you could wait to lock a thunderwave poke in to thunderbolt or whatever but it honestly isn't worth it imo (and rest puts you to sleep for exactly 2 turns, no more no less)

anyway you should probably have gotten at least one CM with latios against Raichu, especially your Latios with Recover which would actually have been better than Rest in that situation so I'm not sure why you didn't take advantage of it!
  6. FastHippo

FastHippo

I'm saying that even though some players "appear" to be lucky(not just bad ones, can you say, Gus Hansen). We know that the cards aren't "programmed" against anyone. It is possible, however unlikely, that the AI intentional or not, produces more streaks than would indicate randomness. These streaks, if they exist, aid the AI, much more than the player.
  7. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Alright, I'm in the process of breeding my "get shit to low health and somehow kill them" team. Basically, I have an Endeavor Sceptile to try and cripple as much as possible, then Tyranitar's Sand Stream combined with Technitop to kill everything else. I hope. It's an okay strategy I think, and I'm mostly doing it to learn the ways of BT rather than to go for a 200 streak, but it sounds really fun and gimmicky, so why not?

Scepitle @ Salac Berry / Petaya Berry
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe; Timid
    - Substitute
    - Endeavor
    - Leaf Storm
    - Quick Attack / Hidden Power

Hitmontop @ Muscle Band / Life Orb
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe; Adamant
    - Fake Out
    - Mach Punch
    - Sucker Punch / Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit / Close Combat

Tyranitar @ Fighting-Berry
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe; Jolly
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Dance
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake

The idea behind the team is that Sceptile and Hitmontop are awesome at avoiding hax, Sceptile with Subs to guard from QC / OHKO and Hitmontop with above-QC priority. Then Tyranitar gets everything at low health with Sandstream and a back-up sweeping chance with DD. Any thoughts before I breed sceptile and tar?
  8. shipship

shipship

I've tried Chople Berry on Tyranitar, and it's a terrible idea.

The reason Yache Berry works so well on Garchomp is because he only has 2 weaknesses, and dragon is very uncommon (mostly coming from other dragons). Also, most ice attacks are non-STAB (coming from just about every water type).

Tyranitar however, has 5 other weaknesses besides fighting, and some of those are very common (water, grass, ground). And STAB close combats from the likes of Gallade or Heracross will OHKO you through the Chople Berry regardless.
  9. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I played the Tower again recently, and I lost at Battle 141, mainly through my own stupidity and laziness, so I can't complain much (though without hurting myself in Confusion the final time I would've won).

I used the same Starmie, Tyranitar, and Garchomp team (all with much better IVs, but the Chomp was still Jolly rather than Adamant, which is one reason why I lost).

I'll do a full write up of what happened if anyone's arsed, but compared to most 141 isn't that impressive.
  10. shipship

shipship

Actually Gus Hansen is terrible at no-limit hold'em, but that's another issue. ;)
  11. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Actually, you could also add me to the "Link" Battle Tower Records, as myself and Retro 0range (he's a member here) have reached 35 straight so far. We haven't played in a while and we used pretty random things.

IIRC it was Gengar, Garchomp + Metagross, Gyarados

Playing with EQ immunes and obviously an Explosion immune Gengar (which was a CounterSash varient IIRC).
  12. fuzzy

fuzzy

@ Chris is me

I thought of a very similar team, revolving around Endeavor Sceptile. Unfortunately, i am to lazy to breed for good IVs :( Anyway, the pokes should be in my opinion the following ones:

Scepitle @ Petaya Berry
    252 SpA / 252 Spd; Timid
    - Substitute
    - Endeavor
    - Leaf Storm
    - Dragon Pulse / Quick Attack / Hidden Power [Fire]

Sub down (also protects you against Hax^^) to activate Pata, Leaf Storm the opponet for the kill and Endeavor the next poke. HP [Fire] is hard to breed, QA doesn't benefit from Pata and Dragon Pulse is quiet weak without STAB and its only SE on Dragons, but at least it scores a neutral hit on everything except Steels...

Metagross @ Shuca Berry / Lum Berry / Focus Sash
    Max. Atk / some HP and Spd EVs; Adamant
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Bullet Punch
    - Explosion

Bullet Punch to ensure that Meta can kill the second poke without taking any damage and then attack / explode on the last one. Lum is against Status in general, Sash (fuck those OHKOs) and Shuca to guarantee that Meta can attack one more opponent.

Gyarados @ Leftovers / Life Orb
    Not quiet sure: Bulky or Offensive; Adamant
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Taunt / Ice Fang / Stone Edge / Substitute
    - Dragon Dance

Taunt is good in the BP for all those Double Teamers etc., so is Sub. Gyara resists Fire, Fighting etc. and overall covers the weaknesses of Sceptile and Metagross quiet well. He is also capable to sweep the opponents team on its own, so this guy can make you a comeback ;)

Good luck to you Chris, i am really looking forward to see how your team functions :)) Please let me know, maybe i can finish my team too and start battling in the tower*gg*

edit: Should Sceptiles final HP Stat be divisible by 4, so that Pata or Salac activates after the third Sub or is it best to sub down to 1 HP, so that Endeavor leaves your opponent also at 1 HP?
  13. KwameTheGreat

KwameTheGreat

I'm qoinq for the Double Battle. Was on streak 28 but somehow I quess it turned off while it was on in my bookbag. Using Zapdos, Ferali, Gengar, Lucario. I want to use a HP Ice Lucario I might start breedinq aqain.
  14. Nutty

Nutty

I'm currently batteling in the Double Battle Tower. For the first time I have past the 50 streak line and still going. (currently 56). Thanks TRE for advertising the Double Tower, it is indeed a lot of fun.

I use this team

[​IMG]@ Damp Rock............... [​IMG]@ Life Orb
    Modest nature ................................Adamant nature
    EV's: 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed ..............EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Speed
    - Rain Dance ..................................- Waterfall
    - Hydro Pump .................................- Brick Break
    - Hidden Power Electric ....................- Ice Punch
    - Draco Meteor ...............................- Protect

My 2 leads, both with Swift Swim ability.
    Mostly I protect with Floatzel and rain dace with Kingdra. They outspeed everything in the Battle Tower in the rain. Kingdra is bulky enough the get the rain into the play and Floatzel has enough power to do some serious damage. Note Floatzel is a tradeback, I just love ice punch Floatzel.

[​IMG]@ Leftovers................ [​IMG]@ Expert Belt
    Adamant nature.............................Timid nature
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Atk......................EV's: 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed
    - Waterfall....................................- Surf
    - Earthquake.................................- Thunder
    - Stone Edge.................................- Ice Beam
    - Hammer Arm................................- Grass Knot

My 2 back ups. Starmie is great against other water pokemon and especially against water-ground pokemon. Ice beam is a dragon killer back up move. Physical Swampert rocks, it kills Blissy in 2 turns with Hammer Arm. Waterfall and EQ for STAB and Stone Edge for Shedinja.

EDIT: My streak is over. I managed to get to battle 65. I will try it again.
  15. Groombridge

Groombridge

Looks interesting: I was planning a Rain team too along similar lines. I was going to try Toxicroak as a co-lead: it gets Fake Out, which helps the other guy get Rain Dance down. Dry Skin means each Surf you throw out nets it 25% of its health back - this means free Subs for Subpunching sets. So you might be better off with the multi-hitting ability of Surf on Kingdra, rather than picking off the bad guys one at a time with inaccurate Hydro Pumps.

Also, Croak resists Grass, which is a big problem for Rain teams.
  16. Shelcario

Shelcario

The Doubles Battle Tower sounds interesting, I should give it a try as Singles isn't being so kind to me right now:(
  17. Iamslow

Iamslow

The best I could ever do was 101 single battles with-

Garchomp @ Choice Band
    Sand Veil
    Adamant 252 Atk 252 Spe 6 HP
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Crunch

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Levitate
    Hasty 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe 6 HP
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt
    Focus Blast
    Energy Ball

Lapras @ Lum Berry
    Shell Armor
    Brave 252 Hp, 158 Atk, 50 Def, 50 SpDef
    Waterfall
    Ice Shard
    Curse
    Rest

Lapras was AWESOME because Shell Armor saved him from critical hits while cursed up, and the Lum Berry prevented alot of other random conditions from affecting him. Garchomp was awesome because he's Garchomp, and Gengar was useful for cleaning up any Steel Pokemans Garchomp was stuck breaking his neck Outraging into. I realize Lapras and Gengar's natures are off, but it really makes no difference. Curse makes Lapras slow anyways, and Focus Sash prevents Gengar from instant death despite his tissue-soft defense.

Sometimes the Battle Tower is as broken as a brick wall when the Kool-aide man appears.
    Oh yeah, it sucks.
  18. joshua

joshua

I use Lapras in UU, and I agree with you that its great, but wouldn't it be better to run more special defense EVs because you'll be boosting your defense with Curse?
  19. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

there are 50 evs left to that set so why not ^_^
  20. MKDSJedi

MKDSJedi

Which move is best for a Calm Mind Claydol with this set?
    Calm Mind
    Earth Power
    Ice Beam
    Rest/Toxic/Grass Knot/Charge Beam

Thanks in advance. (I wanted an attempted ripoff of Jump's team)
  21. Shelcario

Shelcario

I'd say for that set, Toxic as Ice Beam takes care of Grass Knots' job and Calm Mind takes care of Charge Beams' Special Attack raising with the plus side of Special Defense boost. Rest could also be used to restore your HP and cure status but two turns of sleep is its' downside which in the Battle Tower could be a bad thing seeing how the AI gets many critical hits on you:(
  22. MKDSJedi

MKDSJedi

Thanks, I was going to go with that anyway for special walls *cough blissey cough* Right now I'm trying to get Lopunny to level 50 and Claydol to the level where it learns Earth Power (62). Is Stark Mountain a good place?
  23. Shelcario

Shelcario

Yes Stark Mountain sounds like a good place to train up a Claydol considering most of the pokemon up there are weak to ground or can be killed by special moves such as, Rhydon and Skarmory.
  24. keeret

keeret

Finally after the whole process of breeding training and so on, my double battle streak finally came to an end at 240.

My team

Azelf@Choice Scarf
    EV's 252 Atk/252 Spd
    Nature-Naughty
    Move-Set
    -Explosion
    -
    -
    -

Smeargle@Salac Berry
    EV's 252 Spd / 252 Atk
    Nature-Jolly
    Move-Set
    -Dark Void
    -Endure
    -Extremespeed
    -Endeavor

Metagross@Choice Band
    EV's 252 HP / 244 Atk / 12 Def
    Nature-Adamant
    Move-Set
    -Meteor Mash
    -Ice Punch
    -Thunder Punch
    -Earthquake

Garchomp@Yache Berry
    EV's 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature-Jolly
    Move-Set
    -Dragon Claw
    -Swords Dance
    -Fire Fang
    -Earthquake

The strategy with this team is for Azelf to explode while Smeargle Endures whilst also denting the opposing pokemon. Next turn Metagross is sent out and uses the appropiate move as Smeargle Dark Voids. As long as this is done then the rest in plain sailing.

My streak ended just by poor play and a stupid misclick but overall I was pleased.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/keeret/17102008197.jpg
  25. Shelcario

Shelcario

Hey you actually have a lower Singles streak than me, yay? Anyway good job on the Doubles' streak, I doubt I could make that high but, seeing as I'm still having trouble in the Singles I doubt I'll be doing Doubles for a while.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)