1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griffin

Griffin

Garchomp has insanely good stats, the best allowed in the Battle Tower, Swords Dance, and a very good physical movepool.

I don't know why they wouldn't; I suppose they would be just as rare as wild and bred shinies.
  2. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

To add to that, one of the other good things about Garchomp is the Electric Immunity. Ground type, being weak to Water/Ice/Grass, isn't an extremely good type, but paired with Dragon, it's now only weak to Ice and Dragon. None of the other electric immunes are nearly as good defensively or offensively. Oh, and of course Dragon + Ground attack combo is only resisted by Bronzong/Skarmory/Shedinja, so having STAB on both is also what makes Garchomp so powerful. (On top of that, it has its own unique base 102 speed that enables it to outspeed all base 100s.)
  3. Shelcario

Shelcario

I've used Garchomp in the battle tower and he doesn't seem that useful, not surviving Ice attacks even with max special defense IV, even with a Choice Band he just doesn't seem to me to be hitting hard enough, barely making KOs on some pokemon.
  4. Everstone

Everstone Now 100% reliable
    is a Contributor Alumnus

That's why you use Yache Berry or Focus Sash on Chomp
  5. Janenmori

Janenmori

I have been quite successful with my teams. I have a record of 126 right now. I use Scarf TTar, Sub SD Garchomp, and SD Bullet Punch Scizor OR Fake Out Technician Ambipom, Sub Roost Zapdos, and SD Bullet Punch Scizor. I am not gonna lie, Scizor is amazing.
  6. FastHippo

FastHippo

I'm not a fan of CB or CS Garchomp, I think Substitute and Swords Dance are too powerful to pass up.

My streak of 311 wins with Garchomp is currently the longest involving Garchomp. My Hippo, Garchomp, Lucario/Lapras team is currently 678-2(I'm not counting the 91-0 that I handed over to Gyarados). My opinion is based on a reasonable amount of success.

As I said in my write up, getting hit with Ice attacks is not Garchomp's job. Both of my losses were my fault and did not involve taking an Ice attack.

Garchomp is a pokemon that realistically can sweep most BT teams with one Swords Dance. Another turn allows for a Substitute and it's game over.

Translation, if you devise a strategy that routinely generates two free turns for Garchomp, and have support pokemon to handle Ice attacks when you can't, you should reach 200 or more wins.

This is how most of my battles go, 1.Yawn 2. Slack Off or Sand-Attack 3. Substitute 4. Rinse and Repeat until opponent pokemon has 3/9 accuracy. 5. Switch in Garchomp 6. Sub/SD or SD/Sub 7. Get 2nd or 3rd SD if it's safe. 8. Sweep

I've been keeping track, like Peterko. Garchomp has swept all three pokemon in 73% of my victories. I don't know what to make of this, but Lapras has swept all three in 7% of my victories.
  7. FROSTYMOFO

FROSTYMOFO

Heads up, This is my first post on this forum. (Which is obvious by my post count but whatever)

Ive had a fairly unsuccesful time in wifi BT...I cant help thinking I could do better if I could predict more accuratly...
    My Wifi record is, unfortunatly eight. >_<
    I have a question...
    Am I just picking the wrong room or is EVERYONE on the planet packing a heatran, garchomp, starmie, or metagross!? I tried to build my team to counter these threats but...It seems 3 pokemon are just not enough for me to counter a Garchomp sweep...anyway heres the team:

Lead:
    Weavile@FocusSash (Shivah)
    Adamant
    252atk/252speed/4hp
    -Ice Punch
    -Night Slash
    -Brick Break
    -Fake Out
    Comments: Good coverage and stops the overzealous dragon user dead in his tracks if focus sash is intact. Usually I look for a lead that can dish it out and fast. However, he is agonizingly hard to switch back in for a Wish heal. I tried to remedy this by having hypnosis support…but his frailty is always the end of him. His worst enemy, ironically, is other fake out Weaviles…They make me cry. T_T

SpecDamage:
    Gengar@LifeOrb (Ragneg)
    Modest
    252spAtk/210speed/42hp
    -Hypnosis
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast
    Comments: Death to ANYTHING that is slower than him...to bad he has paper skin and glass bones

Support:
    Gardevoir@Leftovers (Moa)
    Modest
    252hp/82spAtk/170speed (i think)
    -Hypnosis
    -Psychic
    -Focus Blast
    -Wish
    Comments: Wonderful for sponging up fighting attacks aimed at my lead Weavile. Hypnosis is a godsend when combined with wish. FB for coverage.

Any advice on how to lay waste to some Garchomps? =/
    Much obliged.
  8. Everstone

Everstone Now 100% reliable
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Let's see... you have
    -a Ghost and a Psychic, both have common weaknesses and for the most part fulfill the same roles, that is, to sleep something then kill it.
    -3 Fighting attacks on everything, lack of variety
    -Gengar and Weavile are just too frail to benefit from Wish

I suggest replacing Gardy for something else, maybe a Garchomp of your own? Or a sturdier Pokemon like Bronzong/Blissey and possibly run +speed natures on Weavile and Gengar to have a shot at outspeeding or at least tying with stuff like Starmie, Garchomp, and other Gengar.
  9. Groombridge

Groombridge

Morning all,

I've been playing the Multi room a bit recently, mostly as a change of pace from singles or doubles. It's certainly been interesting! It's not been extensively written about (hell, it's the only mode that isn't completely dominated by people whose surnames are Elite or 16), so here are some thoughts from a Multi dilettante...

My record is 50 wins, but I hope to beat it soon. I'm using these guys:

- -
    Salamence @ Yache Berry ** Cervantes
    Adamant, Intimidate
    136 HP, 252 Atk, 120 Spe

Dragon Dance
    Fire Fang
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake

- -
    The Mence is a 'flying Chomp': the total coverage attack combo, plus DD. EVs are basically the same as Scarfchomp's, so it outspeeds everything after a DD.

Why Fire Fang? Firstly, accuracy - against an Abomasnow, I'll take FF's 95% over Fire Blast's 85% any day. Reliability is paramount in BT.

Secondly, going all-physical means I can run a -SpA nature - I don't have to compromise one of its defences. Similarly, any EVs that would have gone into SpA go into HP, making for a more bulkilicious sweeper.

Thirdly, FF is boosted by DD, unlike Fire Blast. The pokes that need the Blast are things like Forretress, Skarmory and Bronzong which, booming aside, can't really do much to Mence anyway. So I use DD-boosted FF to wear them down.

Intimidate is of course fantastic in doubles, and it's the main reason to use Mence over Chomp (that and speed boosting).

- -
    Metagross @ Wide Lens ** Marlowe
    Brave, Clear Body
    252 Atk, 152 HP, 100 SpD

Meteor Mash
    Bullet Punch
    Zen Headbutt
    Earthquake

- -

With Wide Lens, Zen Headbutt hits 99% accuracy, and MM gets 93%. It also mitigates Brightpowder, so 100% accurate moves hit BP users with 99% accuracy.

This is my TR doubles Metagross. I'm giving it a test drive before I get an Explosion TM to replace Bullet Punch and set it loose in doubles. It tanks well and hits like a truck.

These guys obviously hit hard, and Yache Mence stands an excellent chance of being able to boost, and therefore sweep. They cover each other's weaknesses, so they're reasonably self-sufficient regardless of what the other guys on my team are doing.

- -
    The interesting thing about Multi is that you don't just have to predict the AI - you have to predict your partner too. You have to apply what we know about the AI on both sides of the battle - it'll OHKO if it can, and it'll generally use a weaker move to finish a weakened opponent.

As for stat-up moves, I've no idea how it uses them. I make it a rule never to select a partner with tanks, as these guys will generally use status or stat-ups at the worst times. I've lost streaks due to my 'partner' using Conversion repeatedly, or Cursing all day long and not attacking.

So, I choose things that are likely to be all-out sweepers where possible. If a poke has four attacks, it has to hurt something! Since you can see your partner's moves, you can predict what it will do and work around that. That's the key difference between this and doubles - I feel very much like the 'co-pilot' in multi. I can't tell the other guy how to fly - he'll do as he pleases - but I can try and gently steer the game in the right direction.

I can't tell the partner's Latios, 'leave the 5% HP Primeape alone, I'm going to Bullet Punch it - hit the Gyarados instead', but I can predict that it'll probably use a Psychic attack on the Ape, which means I have to deal with Gyara (probably by switching in Mence to take a Water move or EQ).

As for partners: Mira and Cheryl can have Lati@s, which is great. If you get both, then you're halfway there already - with my guys above, that's a whole team of 600 BST pokes. Nice.

Riley is also good with stuff like Gyarados. Things like Salamence, Dragonite and Gengar are ideal - floating sweepers, so I can use EQ freely. Note that the partner doesn't mind using EQ on your non-floaty pokes.

Here's the question: how often does the Battle Salon update? Certainly after each run in Multi, but when else? My feeling is it updates every day at midnight, and after a run in Multi (successful or unsuccessful), but not in other BT modes. Can anyone confirm? Coming out of the Salon without a partner does not 'soft reset' them, unfortunately - so if all five partners have crappy pokes, I wait until the next day to bring the ruckus. Is this the best plan?

So those are my experiences with Multi so far. You can't build a whole team, so you have to be flexible, and you have to predict both sides of the fight, which can be very interesting to say the least!
  10. FROSTYMOFO

FROSTYMOFO

Well Gardy was basically the pokemon that I would use to sponge fighting attacks aimed at Weavile, as she could simply sleep the foe, then wish/leftovers it off. But I think that I shouldve been more specific on the role I wanted Gardy to play. Shes kind of all over the place: An offensive nature, defensive evs, and a offensive/supportive moveset...I think I was trying to overcompensate for the frailty of the rest of my team by turning her into a weird tank/healer/sleeper thingy...or something.

Also, I put fighting attacks on EVERYTHING! But I have to draw the line though. I think I was scarred for life from a Tyranitar sweep, so now all my pokes pack a fighting move. Also, isnt it a good idea for theses three pokes to have a fighting move? Darks, Ghosts, and Psychics are all weak to types that are in turn weak to fighting. It seemed commen sense to me to put moves that would be super effective against their weaknesses. I mean, I SEEMED like a good idea. Is there something im not getting tho? =/

And Ive tried having a Garchomp on my team. It died....alot. seems like garchomp works for everyone else but me. Stupid ice beam. >_<

Anyways, thanks for the tips. Im goin to look into a sturdier damage sponge (Dusknoir, perhaps?) and put speed+ natures on my Weavile and Gengar. Lets see how it works out.
  11. pyrzi

pyrzi

Finally made it to 100 wins. For some reason, at the 101th battle I lost... To the HaxDaunt.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Timid
    200atk/252speed/56spatk
    -Shadow Ball
    -Counter
    -Explosion
    -Destiny Bond

In theory this works fine. Shadow Ball anything that doesn't have physical moves.
    Explode to anything but Steel, Ghost, Rock and Pokemon with
    ridiculous Defense. Depending on the situation, I
    will either SB or DB them.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry Nickname:WTFPWNIPWN
    Adamant
    252atk/252spd/4hp
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Swords Dance
    -Fire Fang

"words"

If something actually succeeds in ripping through this dude...

Jolteon @ Choice Specs Nickname:Nice try
    Modest
    252spatk/252speed/4hp
    -Quick Attack
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power[ICE]
    -Shadow Ball

Aerodactyl is the biggest threat for this... But how would it tear Garchomp away?
    I chose Quick Attack because(trust me) for me there have been situations when
    only 2-4% of the opponent's Hitpoints are remaining. Then he outspeeds.
    ____

It is situation dependant which I will send out: Jolteon or Garchomp.
  12. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Hey! Gratz on the 100! And props for using Specs Jolteon! To be honest, I was also using a Jolteon, and I was hoping to be the first one (here anyway) to reach 100 using a Jolteon, but unfortunately I lost RIGHT at #100. I wasn't sure that you really needed quick attack seeing how Jolteon's so fast already, but for me, my Jolteon was SubPetaya (in place of quick attack/Specs), and that worked pretty well, since it can deal with most OHKOers with much more confidence, and quite a number of those OHKOers are water types so Jolteon can handle a lot of them that way. Since then I've been using other teams though (I'm not sure why...), but yah, Jolteon's awesome, and also the first pokemon I've bred HP for.

Also, I found your Gengar nature/EV to be a bit weird... why Timid if you're investing 200 into attack? Why not hasty? Or... is it just because that's the only Gengar you have that has Counter or something? Anyway, good job again.
  13. FastHippo

FastHippo

My second team uses a Jolteon lead. I haven't lost, yet. Maybe I'll be able to put Jolteon on the board. So far it's going great. I've only used my third pokemon, twice.
  14. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

seriously fasthippo, it´s almost making me crazy everytime you post...you reveal something, almost nothing, but it makes me curious

I mean you´re at 200+ with both teams or something? I can´t figure out how far you got even though I try hard lol

right now it seems that besides jump you´re the only one hanging on and beating the tower up and you have two running streaks

judging from your chomp post you´ve changed your fast hippo set again? yawn, slack off, substitute, sand attack with sash? don´t you miss earthquake when you face "clear bodies"? yeah your answer will probably be "chomp sweep" but still...

and what about lapras/lucario at #3, do you switch between them randomly or is there a strategy behind that? I assume that you use lapras because a turn1 freeze is something that happens often and none of hippo-chomp-luca takes it well

if anyone cares, I´m sitting at 49 in pearl right now and ehm 154 in diamond...I don´t play regulary, I do 21 and the next day 0...I currently don´t use the tower/moveset list and don´t log battles, which means around 30 mins per 7, OK I have to admit I´ve checked a medicham set because I wasn´t sure and a focus punch surprised my roosting skarm ._. at least psychic OHKOs, well there was still the praying part because of brightpowder

also lol at "psychic" trainer who used a gallade-medicham-metagross team wth...that hammer arm meta is a bitch, thankfully brightpowder saves skarm, the acc. drop really makes a difference, dragon tamer hernan with dragonite-salamence-gyarados was cool, I was forced to DM both dragons and toxic stall gyarados, I played skarm exactly how I should´ve (shock moment: first toxic missed)

also what is that jolteon team?
  15. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

yeah, the fact that, of the five types that are weak to fighting in normal, rock, steel, ice and dark, only dark is among the three you list...darks ghosts and psychics are weak to bug, ghost, dark and fighting so one of the first three would be better for an attack on gardy, not fighting that's only SE on dark, neutral on fighting, NVE on bug and has no effect on ghosts
  16. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

lost at battle #172 to the fcking cb aero...again

and it stone edged again turn 1 which missed on skarm, then I was stupid enough to try to sub which failed because the second SE CHed...I should´ve roosted damnit, skarm died turn 3...I let latios die turn 4 because lax takes 77% max (if +atk nature, 31 IV) and I get in a curse, rest on struggle 1 (47max dmg), struggle2-sleep, struggle3-sleep, struggle4-curse2, struggle5-curse3 => I´m at +3 and and min 154/266 HP which is something you can work with...

well, this is all theorymon because SE #5 CH OHKOed me lol...0-3, I would´ve probably lost anyway because it was a worker (rock, fighting) but still

4/5 stone edges hit, out of which 2 CHed...sucks

stone edge is the most broken move, seriously...you can´t afford to use it yourself because of the crap accuracy, but the AI doesn´t care and abuses the CH rate :/

EDIT: the aero wasn´t +atk nature (147-174dmg) because skarm survived with 28 HP...neutral does 135-159, random number in the formula was 90, so it was neutral nature (negative does 141 max)
    - this means I would´ve had a much better chance to come out on top :(
  17. lati0s

lati0s

18. FROSTYMOFO

FROSTYMOFO

Weaviles Dark/ICE. Weak to Rock and Steel as well...Which are weak to fighting. =/
  19. EeveeTrainer

EeveeTrainer

If you're new here, just a tip, be wary of who you respond to with even one word in bold and caps. (lol)
  20. FROSTYMOFO

FROSTYMOFO

Reeeally?...I was just trying to emphasize Weavile's uh...Icyness. My bad. Thanx for the tip tho.
  21. Shelcario

Shelcario

I found that site a while back, I meant to tell you guys about it but never got around to it.
  22. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

i was more taking issue with the fact that "Darks, Ghosts, and Psychics are all weak to types that are in turn weak to fighting" is wrong, but regardless having a fighting move on all three pokemon isn't going to help the fact that the team doesn't have synergy, as fire/electric/water/bug all are going to kind of give you trouble, and what about an opposing weavile? your own's sash is going to have to be intact or you're in a little trouble
  23. Ranz

Ranz

SO, DO shiny pokemon appear in the battle tower? Cuz i remembered once, I once used a shiny feraligatr at the Battle Factory in Emerald..

anyone?
  24. wtansley

wtansley

I doubt the fact that you were able to take a shiny into the tower implies shinies can appear there
  25. Ranz

Ranz

oh.. Thanks..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)