1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranz

Ranz

yeah.. so HOW did it go FASTER than my Starmie then? Agility???
  2. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

there is one gliscor with quick claw but it doesnt have gullotine
    sheesh will people ever cheak the link!
  3. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

No Gliscor in the Battle Tower carry Agility, either. So no.

A tad late, but gee, Everstone, that's some really rough luck. o_o; I haven't had it that bad, but uh... I hope I never do. >_>; Although I think I could handle it. Focus Sash would save Uxie, allowing for Yawn, finished off, then Gliscor falls asleep. Garchomp comes in, sets up, yeah, shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Little update of my crew, I'm going to get Outrage for Chomp and see how Scizor will do in Lucario's place, along with how Focus Sash on Uxie. Hoping it'll work well.
  4. Ranz

Ranz

Oh crap. In short. I was Cheated. FUCK BATTLe ToWeR... Im gonna Conquer it Someday...
  5. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Tyranitar @ lum berry;
    Adamant;
    252 Atk, 160 Spd, 92 Def, 6 HP;
    Sandstream
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    ~ Earthquake

slightly bulky.used him as a lead.i tried it out till 77 and he took some hard hits like superpower from nidoqueen and he survived a focus blast from regiice.he survives long enough to dd atleast one and ko back .i havent lost yet so i guess it works.if your looking to go bulky. i suggest this guy!
  6. Eppie

Eppie

Lopunny used Switcheroo
    Snorlax obtained a Choice Scarf
    Lopunny obtained a Iron Ball
    Snorlax used Flung
    Snorlax flinged it's Choice Scarf
    Lopunny used Thunder Wave
    Snorlax used Recycle
    Snorlax recycled it's Choice Scarf
    Lopunny used Sweet Kiss
    Lopunny's attack missed
    Snorlax used recycle
    It failed

Isn't ironic? :D
  7. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

While that's mildly amusing, that has nothing to do with irony. Sorry, misusing the word "ironic" is one of my pet peeves.

If you're going to claim hax, or have any chance of advancing past the 100ish mark in the Battle Tower, you'll need to get to know the complete list of Pokémon. So don't whine about a Gliscor outspeeding your Starmie with Quick Claw and claim the game is hacked. It's a Quick Claw... that or you suck at EV/IVing.
  8. SubWooper

SubWooper

i was around 100 when i lost to a quick claw guillotine crawdaunt(332) that was went first every time and guillotine never missed
  9. Shelcario

Shelcario

For some odd reason I can't seem to get past the 40's mark in the Battle Tower with my team of Starmie,Garchomp, and Tyranitar. Garchomp I lead off with Yache Berry and just Swords Dance once, survive the opponents' attack and then sweep away. I had one close call last run, I was down to my last pokemon, Starmie and then I was looking at the list of the possible pokemon that this specific trainer could have and I saw that he could possibly have the Dewgong with Sheer Cold and Horn Drill, I was like I hope that it's not the last pokemon. Seeing as half his pokemon that he could carry were weak to water I decided to use Surf and hope for the best. His second pokemon that came out that match was Claydol and so I managed to OHKO it with Starmies' Surf. His last pokemon was none other than that same Dewgong that I was hoping wouldn't show up. I was like this can't end well, it went like this:

Starmie used Surf!
    Dewgong lost about 1/4 of its' health!
    Dewgong used Horn Drill!
    Horn Drill missed!
    Starmie used Surf!
    Again it lost about 1/4 of its' health!
    It's now about down to about half health!
    Dewgong used Horn Drill!
    Horn Drill missed!
    Starmie used Surf!
    Down to about the light/dark red now.
    Dewgong used Rest!
    Starmie used Surf!
    Dewgong used Sleep Talk!
    Dewgong used Sheer Cold!
    Sheer Cold also missed!

To sum up how the rest of the battle went I continued using Surf and after 3 or 4 I finally killed it, and for some odd reason everytime it used a OHKO move it missed, although it did kill off my Garchomp with Sheer Cold. Just an example of one of the close battles that I have had in the battle tower.
  10. Everstone

Everstone Now 100% reliable
    is a Contributor Alumnus

SpecsStar, huh? I'd use Life Orb or Expert Belt for the versatility. That's supposed to be the reason why you're using Starmie in the first place, right?
  11. Bozo

Bozo

yep, thats the strategy. and yes it is risky, but im mainly just trying to get a ribbon for my gyarados, so i only need to get to 100 and ill be happy. the odds of missing both enemies is 1/25 (not counting bright powder etc), so it usually doesnt happen, but of course a few times it did. i felt like the team has good enough back up though, with gyarados and gengar. sometimes when it missed twice, the enemies would do something stupid, or miss, or not aim either/both attacks at charizard. and even if they did kill zard (have to hit him with both attacks), smeargle is still there to try and sleep them again while gyarados sets up. twice in my previous sun smeargle got OHKO'd by a quick claw user with hammer arm (ursaring once and metagross once).

also with spore on smeargle now, ive been topying with the idea of using spore to get someone to sleep first go, guaranteed, while zard subs. then next turn spore the other guy while zard belly drums. i dont usually do this, mainly just use dark void, and get smeargle outta there so it can come back later if necessary, and use spore to keep one enemy asleep while a set-up charizard or gyarados kills the other one.

ive also replaced your hasty gengar with kursed's hp ice one (focus sash, hp ice, thunderbolt, shadow ball, energy ball) figuring by the end of the battle, usually one enemy is asleep, and the type coverage is welcomed.

i really like your doubles team, although a lot of the enemies are fairly slow, so unless your pokes are really slow, trick room could be a bit risky. but if youre gonna replace your metagross with a brave one, that would be cool.

also, i laughed heartily at your sig.......

well, i really loved that one! tales of the AI stupidity makes me feel better about the tales of hax!

nice to hear about OHKO's missing repeatedly too :) actually, the first time i got a 100 win streak, something similar happened to me. i was using my emerald team (salamence, suicune, blissey, all with terrible-to-fair IVs). in the 98th or 99th battle i came up against a team of ice/water OHKO'ers, the bane of my team. salamence and blissey were promptly murdered, and it came down to my suicune dodging all the OHKO's until it was set up, and able to slowly kill the opponents. it was so sickening, waiting for each move to go past, just "knowing" the "its a one hit KO" message would come up......

in other "news", my next doubles challenge has started - im on about 30ish wins. nothing exciting. still in the easy stages. hopefully it will work out this time. and ill remember that thunder can kill a bouncing gyarados :pirate:
  12. Everstone

Everstone Now 100% reliable
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Well if you say your run ended at battle 80 then why go for a ribbon still? I said I lost my doubles run at battle 99? (somewhere around that) and my guys have a "double ability" ribbon on them. I'm not sure if there's a great double ability ribbon but if there is I'll probably figure it out after I rethink my team over and get to 105 wins.

On a side note maybe you should try Trick as one of the slots on Smeargle. It might actually cripple something who knows? Then you can play the "let's gang up on that guy and ignore the one with a scarf" game.
  13. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I don´t think there is a "great double ability ribbon"...I just checked all of my pokémon that got to 134 and 135 in doubles and they only have the "double ability ribbon" - a ribbon awarded for completing the sinnoh battle tower double challenge
  14. Engineer

Engineer

Woot, just broke 100 at BT, currently sitting on 105.

Porygon-Z @ choice specs
    Adaptability
    Timid
    EV: 252spd 252spatt 4hp
    -tri attack
    -ice beam
    -dark pulse
    -hyper beam

Bronzong @ leftovers
    Levitate
    Sassy
    EV: 252hp 100def 100spdef 58spatt
    -hypnosis
    -stealth rock
    -charge beam
    -HP ice (+50bp)

Garchomp @ choice band
    Sand Veil
    Jolly
    EV: 252spd 252att 4hp
    -outrage
    -dragon claw
    -earthquake
    -firefang

Strategy was I used Z and chomp to OHKO as much as possible, and bronzong to allow them to switch without taking hits.
  15. KwameTheGreat

KwameTheGreat

I'm on like floor 70+. Weavile saved my butt lots of times when I was down 2-1 or 1-1. God did too. I was killing myself thinking of a good team with speed and minimum weaknesses. I couldn't think of any. Focus Sash Houndoom, Starmie, Weavile crossed my mind though. Switch fire into houndoom, water to starmie, dark/shadow to starmie or houndoom. Cept houndoom and weavile is weak to rock. And tons of pokemon have rock based moves. So I'm back at it with my SWM team. 2 fire weaknesses, but what the heck. I sometimes wish Starmie was Modest. Btchh leaves certain fire types with hp left
  16. Shelcario

Shelcario

That's why you breed your pokemon to be used in the battle tower to have somewhat better luck at the BT.
  17. KwameTheGreat

KwameTheGreat

I'm not gunna Breed/Ev train Pokemon solely for the BT. Then I would have to do the same AGAIN for competitive. I'm fine using my competitive ready Pokemon. I haven't even been critted except maybe 1-2 times so I have no complaints.
  18. frisWEE

frisWEE

doing wel at BT is about abusing the AI to an extent to try and beat the insane hax they create like quick claw and OHKOs. so we use sash-destiny bond or yawners or trickers as leads to do well (over 200) as seen by the leaders in single BT. so creating your own movesets and EVs/IVs is vital to creating a pokemon. i mean how often do we use pokemon with a lack of a damaging move. i mean seriously this is an example of one of mine:

Togekiss/ Bold
    252 HP/72 Sp Def/186 Def

Yawn
    Charm
    Wish
    Flash

But the more conventional Togekiss is:

Togekiss/Timid
    252 Spd/188 Sp Atk/70 HP

nasty plot
    Substitute
    Air Slash
    Aura Sphere
  19. FastHippo

FastHippo

You've started using this Togekiss recently, right? This set is nearly identical to my Jolteon. It has the three moves that directly set up my Garchomp. Yet, you said that I must be extremely lucky to use Jolteon to set up my Garchomp. Basically something about Yawn lasting too long, which completely showed a lack of understanding of how the set worked.

Also, what part of your strategy makes Wish a better choice than Substitute or even Roost?
  20. Bozo

Bozo

ah... i'll look it up (although peterko seems to back it up below!). i figured if there was a great ability ribbon, then there should be a great double ability ribbon. but then again, i was VERY disappointed not to get a great world ability ribbon for getting to rank 10 in the wifi BT.

if youre gonna have wifi for a few days everstone, you should give the wifi BT a crack. its quite different, since people makes the teams themselves. theyre full of garchomps and weaviles and stuff. and the natures are often optimal, with good IVs/EVs etc. but less haxy things like OHKO moves. you only need to be able to connect for a few seconds at a time - to download teams and upload your results and stuff.

and yes, smeargle used to have switcheroo, before i put spore on it. i never used it in the 80 battles, although destiny bond saved me once, and i did once use helping hand just to show off (still have to put that video on youtube). i know it would have been good though if say their last pokemon was a snorlax or something.

well, if there is no great double ability ribbon, i guess ill try and get this streak to go as long as i can anyway, but not stress out about the 100 landmark.

and i feel like the "riskiness" of the strategy is part of the fun :) like using magnitude on geodude while playing through emerald on my first time.........

EDIT: i looked and found a list of the ribbons you can get. and there is no great double ability ribbon. oh well...... going at about 70 battles this streak. might just see how far i get, then move on to something else....
  21. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

currently on 63 with a modifyed version of jumps team with luke@leftovers and latiAs@chesto berry (cause you cant get salac in diamond) and im going for 200.it seems to work ok.
  22. KwameTheGreat

KwameTheGreat

Ok Shelcario, I'll admit you were right. Down 1-1 Starmie Vs Ursaring. I surf, does a lil less then half. He Crunches which I survive and will die after the 2nd one. Thinking I have a chance to kill him, and praying to crit him. "Ursaring restores HP with Leftovers", which brung his HP back 2 green. I knew I lost. So I will be training a Modest Starmie for the BT.
  23. Battle-Tower Challenger

Battle-Tower Challenger

Hi dudes. I lost at number 178. so my new record 177!!!!

i used:

Metagross @ Choice Band
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 100HP, 252Atk, 16SpD, 142Spd
    -Earthquake
    -ThunderPunch
    -Meteor Mash
    -Ice Punch

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 6HP, 252SpA, 252Spd
    -Thunderbolt
    -Counter
    -Shadowbal
    -Destiny Bond

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252HP, 252Def, 6SpD
    -Seismic Toss
    -Counter
    -Aromatherepy
    -Softboiled

ITS SIMPLE BUT IT WORKS. Meta is a great DD. Gengar often takes down 2 Pkmns.
    yes, i used the team of TRE. but... Can somebody add me in the List?

STRAGE IS: HIS STREAK WITH THE TEAM IS 178....MY STREAK IS 177 lol O=
  24. FastHippo

FastHippo

Actually, both of your streaks are 177. How did you lose?
  25. frisWEE

frisWEE

firstly, i was referring to your hippowdon which i i now realise was a mistake.

Well, more often than not, i can switch into my garchomp with max health even on a damaging move due to wish which not only heals my allies but can heal togekiss as well. plus, i don't have roost anymore so it would have been a better option. I figure if i ever get down to 1v1 epic battle where togekiss has no offensive moves, this set will beat them up due to PPs. So yeah, i might've actually given it roost thinking back but due to its max HP and Def Ivs i love this togekiss plus i've had no problem with wish atm.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)