1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lickitungyourmom

Lickitungyourmom

I think the way most people lose eventually in the battle tower is through getting bored with easy battles. They all seem so easy, then along comes the cpu opponent that gets mega hacks, and maybe you may make a small mistake due to intense boredom, and lose.
    This team got me 314 wins, it lost to a regiice that got two quick claw boosts, a critical hit and an ancient power boost :(

Azelf
    hasty nature
    Evs 252 speed 200 spc att 58 att
    Focus sash
    psychic
    explosion
    rain dance
    grass knot

This guy basicly sets up rain dance and explodes. Unless his stabbed psychic is supereffective vs the pokemon im facing.

Kingdra
    lonely nature
    Evs 252 att 252 spec att 4 hp
    swift swim
    life orb
    rain dance
    surf
    waterfall
    draco meteor

This guy usually has rain dance set up for him and is a complete sweeping beast. Weather kicks ass in 3 on 3 battles, who needs damp rock? Cpu cant stall you out with intelligent predicted switching.

Garchomp (the uber it lets us pick)
    jolly nature
    Evs 252 att 252 speed 4 def
    yache berry
    sword dance
    earthquake
    dragon claw
    fire fang

Fire fang was generally useless because i was usually in the rain. But i hate using low accuracy moves in battle tower like stone edge, you need to be consistent. Normally the pokemon you need fire fang for are tanks and slow to dish out the damage anyway, needing multiple turns to kill you.
    Most battles garchomp never even needed to see play, kingdra owned that hard for me.
    Yache berry guarantees a sword dance set up.

I think the key to winning in battle tower is having fast cheap pokemon and making good use of your items
  2. Battle-Tower Challenger

Battle-Tower Challenger

the Gastrodon Hits me with a Curse-boosting CH!!! -___- thats why 2 pkmns fainted....i hate crits >.<
    finally Swampert vs my Metagross -.-
    -> i loose
    shit...but 177 is not very bad^^
  3. gillian

gillian

154 wins^^ just got haxed to death by a scarfed Guillotine Jolly Kingler >.<

anyways:

Starmie
    Timid @ Life orb - Natural Cure
    64 HP 196 Sp.Atk 252 Speed
    Surf
    Recover
    Ice beam
    Thunderbolt

Nidoqueen
    Relaxed @ leftovers - Poison Point
    252 HP 176 Def 82 atk
    Crunch
    Superpower
    Earth power
    Toxic Spikes

Azumarill
    Adamant @ Choice Band - Huge Power
    252 HP 252 Atk 6 Def
    Aqua Jet
    Waterfall
    Brick Break
    Double-Edge

a lot of pogeys are stupid enuff to swagger my Azumarill =/
    it only killed itself once out of confusion hax
    otherwise it survived, snapped out of it & proceeded to sweep with CB Adamant Huge Power +2 STAB Aqua Jet
  4. 1059860

99 >_>

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Timid: 4 HP/252 SPA/252 SPE
    * Hypnosis
    * Shadow Ball
    * Thunderbolt
    * Destiny Bond

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
    Jolly: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE
    * Earthquake
    * Sword Dance
    * Fire Fang
    * Dragon Claw (I would use Outrage instead but too bad nobody has Platinum that I know of, and when I got it, the guy I traded from didn't breed with it, but since it got good IV, I decided to use it anyway--Served me well.)

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Quiet: Standard Tyraniboah
    * Dark Pulse
    * Ice Beam
    * Substitute
    * Focus Punch

Lost on the 100th battle because of opponent's Heracross had that 2 extra HP and my miss on Hypnosis -_-
  5. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

oh come on, guys...

check at least the database before you post your "record" or how you lost, because you know, it´s not trustworthy and I definitely won´t post a link with a made up story

there is no quick claw regice, the only ancientpower one holds a chesto berry

there is no scarfed kingler either, more like salac berry kingler or scarf pinsir ._.
  6. Bozo

Bozo

trying to get a ribbon for the link battle thing. i lost at the 35th battle. nothing special at all and i wouldnt normally say anything about it, but i just had to record this supreme tale of hax. the first thing is really what killed it for me, but there were a few other things....

i hate the way you have to split your team into two, so if one guy faints, you cant choose who to send in next. anyway, i split my team up into smeargle + gengar on one DS, and charizard + gyarados on the other.
    1. they lead with electrode and luxray. gonna be a bitch if the electrode is +spd because it will outspeed my scarfed smeargle. it isnt, but dark void misses both targets. electrode KO's zard with thunder. luxray uses thunder wave on smeargle.
    2. would have loved to send in gengar but anyway, in comes gyarados.
    3. electrode KO's dos with thunder. luxray uses thunder wave. it fails. smeargle uses dark void, and misses both targets AGAIN. (not that it matters at this point)
    4. electrode uses magnet rise (why not?). luxray uses swagger - doubles smeargles attack, own tempo prevents confusion lol.... smeargle uses dark void, and puts both opponents to sleep.
    5. i switch smeargle to gengar, while both opponents stay asleep.
    6. electrode is asleep (damn its faster). gengar uses shadow ball - 50% to luxray. (really dont want to get paralyzed, and hey thunder could miss 5 times in a row, right?) luxray wakes up, and misses with swagger.
    7. electrode is still asleep. gengar uses shadow ball and KO's luxray (thank God it didnt do that gay thing of getting a small hit on the second turn).
    8. they send out slowbro. he goes first (quick claw). psychic gets me to my focus sash. electrode wakes up and misses with thunder! shadow ball does 95% to slowbro.
    9. electrode hits with thunder. all over........ i make smeargle run on the next turn.
    the stupid thing is you have to sit there and watch the annimations every single move because you cant turn them off in this thing.

oh well...... i dont want to get any kind of record, just a bloody ribbon for my gyarados, so i can get out of that stupid place........
  7. Eppie

Eppie

I made a new team I. I still have to try but I wanted some advice for any changes if there could be any.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Nature: Timid (+Spd -Atk)
    Trait: Levitate
    EV's: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed

- Counter
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Destiny Bond

Weavile @ Razor Claw
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd -SpA)
    Trait: Pressure
    EV's: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed

- Ice Punch
    - Night Slash
    - Brick Break
    - Shadow Claw / Poison Jab / X-Scissor / Aerial Ace

I realy wanted to use the countersash gengar as my lead.
    I played alot with this thing and it works almost perfect !
    I think the moveset doesn't need any changes.

Second I thought of Weavile (I first wanted to use it as lead with counter in the 4th slot, and focus sash as held item.) The main reason I chose Weavile is for his Stab Ice Punch and Night Slash combined with his massive speed stat (Only Jolteon and Aerodactyl outspeed it, provided they have a + speed nature, and Electrode does ofcourse) giving me a coinflip against other + speed Weavile's.

Then there is this third pocket monster I will realy need to break my personal record (#154) I was thinkin' of these three:

Latios @ Expert Belt

- Psychic
    - Surf / Ice Beam
    - Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
    - Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Grass Knot

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EV's: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed

- Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw / Outrage
    - Fire Fang / Fire Blast
    - Aerial Ace / Shadow Claw

Azelf @ Expert Belt

- Psychic
    - Flamethrower
    - Grass Knot
    - Explosion / ... / ...

Latios can hit ALOT SE, but Garchomp has immunity against electric type, which is a huge plus in my opinion because it can switch into thunder wave Jolteon, survive a shadow ball, and 1HKO it with Earthquake. Azelf has Flamethrower for Bronzong and Metagross, stabbed psychic and enough speed preventing I need to run a scarf set as I have to with Garchomp.

I realy need some advice about this team so if anyone could help me please :)

~ Eppie.
  8. Shelcario

Shelcario

This really isn't the best place for a rate my team post, maybe actually try the Rate My Team forums?
  9. Pink

Pink

Alright, I have a question for everyone. When you get to the 50th win, do the trainers only use tier 4 pokemon? Or can they chose from every tier?
  10. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

Tier 4 trainers can use Tier 3 or Tier 4 Pocket Monsters, from what I know. So no, past Battle 49, you won't be seeing just those Tier 4 legendaries, you may see Destiny Bond Mismagius from Tier 3, etc.
  11. Pink

Pink

Thank you!
  12. Pink

Pink

Alrgiht, I was looking through, and was trying to decide on a team. I've only made it 47 for my record... but I thought I could try to make a good team, so here it goes. I'm not experienced at this whole thing, but I thought I could post my team...

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed

.:.Spore
    .:.Trick
    .:.Stealth Rocks
    .:.Roar

This is kinda gimmicky, but it could work... Since there's no sleep clause in BT, I could just sleep everyone and rip them apart with SR. Cheep, but w/e. It's the battle tower.

Scizor @ Sitrus Berry (I like Jumpman's idea)
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 84HP / 252Atk / 172Spd

.:. Bullet Punch
    .:. Super Power
    .:. Substitute
    .:. Swords Dance

This hurts things. A lot.

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
    Nature: Naive
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe

.:. Explosion
    .:. Psychic
    .:. Flamethrower
    .:. Grass Knot

I dunno. I wanted to be faster? This is flawed, but it could work with a little tweaking.

All in all, my team is kinda gimmicky. I would consider switching out Scizor for something bulkier. Metagross or Garchomp perhaps. I know the Smeargle is a weird idea, and it could easily not work out for me, but it's worth a shot IMO. I would like some help working it out. Let me know what you think?

PS. If I'm not s'posed to post this hear I'm sorry, but it's the team I'm about to start using for the BT and want to tweak it a little before hand. Thanks!
  13. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

item clause...item clause man ._.

anyway, there is a link or two in the first post with the exact list of trainers and their pokémon you will face after 49
  14. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

Speaking of links on the first post, Peteko, would it be alright if you could add your Battle Tower Speed Tiers, post? I find it useful enough to be there, ultimately your call though.

In other news, was so close to getting an excellent Scizor yesterday, but my friend's Wi-Fi USB Connector went haywire. :/ More delay for me to begin my run.
  15. FastHippo

FastHippo

I agree, I added it to my favorites, when I first started. I used to refer to it, regularly.

Jumpman, Lopunny 4 is a pain in the ass. It has Ice Beam and Grass Knot. It has always been faster than Garchomp, even though it needs a plus speed nature to do that. I don't know if it can OHKO Lapras with Grass Knot. I'm guessing it can't without STAB or a crit. I always get a 2-0, but it still disturbs me everytime I see it.
  16. Pink

Pink

Whoops, I meant Choise Specs on Azelf >.>
  17. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

well the tower speed tier list would have to be revamped first because at that time I didn´t know the natures were random...I´ll do that later/in the next days and post it here and link to it in the opener...I´m testing stuff for the research thread right now
  18. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

yeah, garchomp's speed is really the only reason i'm not jumping for joy at the prospect of using:

Latias@Choice Scarf: Trick/TW/Charm/Flash, Timid, 252HP/212Def/44Spe, 187/90/137/130/150/149 stats
    Garchomp@Lum Berry: EQ/OR/SD/Sub, Jolly, 4HP/252Atk/252Spe
    Scizor@Sitrus Berry ** MEGA MAN X: Bullet Punch/Superpower/Substitute/Swords Dance, Adamant, Technician, 84HP/252Atk/172Spe

even though i spent some time theorymoning it. i just never want to lose a battle because my sweeper was outsped, it happened enough with un-Salaced Luke because I didn't/couldn't get into Salac range so poke two broke sub and poke three outsped, so yeah good luck. i also have another team i'm probably going to try in plat if and when i care about breeding for the other two pokemon, i'm already breeding an all-purpose salamence at the moment because what a pretty pokemon
  19. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

after getting haxed my garchomp missing outrage on charizard twice and he 2ko me with dragon pulse
    note:his last poke
    i send in luke and fail to 2 ko him with anything i had and he ko me with critical hit air slash
    this was the 82nd battle i finally quit the tower
    iv gotten to hundred but i refuse to put up with such hax..maybe after a few months ill comeback and try and to get on the list
  20. Shelcario

Shelcario

Yes the tower is not easy, which is why I'm formulating a team to enter....
  21. Ranz

Ranz

Can anyone give me Ideas On which Pokemon is the best one to use in the Hoenn BT? Anyone?

And I think that the BT in D/P is Much, Much Easier than the ones in Emerald..
  22. Shelcario

Shelcario

Couldn't tell you as I've never gone in the Hoenn BT, but how is the D/P BT easier? I don't think that it's that easy, probably because I don't have the team building skills to create a fully functioning team on my own:( But that doesn't mean that I won't keep trying at it....
  23. Ranz

Ranz

i say its easier, due to a Lot changes from Gen. 3 to Gen.4, and The Widespread of Better Pokemon Togetic<Togekiss.
  24. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

yes but the tower uses these better pokemon too you know
    +ubers like cress and heatran.
  25. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

I agree, although Cresselia & Heatran aren't even ubers. Only ubers in the Battle Tower are Latios, Latias, and Garchomp.

I can't really compare them, seeing as I wasn't a competitive player back then. But there are a lot more Pocket Monsters to deal with. I'd have to say it's player preference to determine whether the Tower has either become harder or easier since the third Generation. But again, I can't compare, the transition I'm looking forward to seeing us change is Diamond & Pearl to Platinum. Would we all take on the Roulette and rest of the Frontier? Tower would most likely have new movesets and a different wave to encounter. And numerous Pocket Monsters with new moves, such as Trick users. Accuracy of Hypnosis goes down, etc, etc. Would the Tower be easier in Platinum, or perhaps more of a challenge? That's a question I'd like to answer once it comes out in the US. But for now, I'm just going to try and conquer the 100 mark. :P

Speaking of, should have everything complete on my team today, can't wait to get this streak under way.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)