1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lickitungyourmom

Lickitungyourmom

:)

Why does noone use slaking in the battle tower? Hes an insane beast.
    I lead with him, using return, earthquake, firepunch and ice punch @ choice band, jolly natured. .
    Against a human opponent he can be predicted against and made to be redundant. But against the cpu he is a cheap beast.

Yeah my team:
    Slaking
    jolly
    252 att 252 speed
    choice band
    return
    fire punch
    ice punch
    earthquake

Suicune
    bold
    252 hp
    156 def
    100 sp def
    leftovers
    calm mind
    ice beam
    surf
    hidden power electric

Garchomp
    jolly
    252 speed 252 attack
    focus sash
    earthquake
    fire fang
    sword dance
    dragon claw

I basically ohko their lead with my slaking, then switch to suicune who can take a beating. If suicune somehow dies without beating 1 pokemon, i dont care, slaking comes in again and does his thing. Alot of the time slakings legendary defenses let him ko two opposing pokemon with his insane stabbed return :) Garchomp is also beast.
    Sometimes insane hacks piss me off, but you just gotta try try again :)
    I wont post how many wins i have, you wont believe me :)
  2. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

i wouldnt indeed...y does slaking have eq and eq???
    suicune is better of with all eves in defence!
  3. Groombridge

Groombridge

That's actually a great idea - I don't know why I didn't think of it. Especially considering that I already have a Follow Me Togekiss! I ran the Togekiss/SD Yache Chomp leads for a bit, which was good fun until repeated Blizzard crithax made me try other things. Oddly, I'd also considered using Togekiss as the team's special sweeper, since it offers flinchhax without paralysis, big hitting power and now Heat Wave from Platinum. Thanks for putting two and two together for me!

I'll need another Zong for the job (and another Explosion TM), but I think something like the following might work...

- -
    Togekiss @ Lum Berry
    Calm, Serene Grace
    252 HP, 56 SpA, 152 Def, 100 SpD.

Follow Me
    Air Slash
    Aura Sphere
    Protect

- -
    Bronzong @ Occa Berry
    Brave, Levitate
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Def

Trick Room
    Explosion
    Faint Attack
    Earthquake

- -

Togekiss as giant Substitute. With Follow Me, literally the only way to prevent me getting Trick Room in effect is to OHKO Togekiss, then either sleep/parahax/freezehax Zong or somehow OHKO it - but with Occa Berry, the bell has no weaknesses. (I think Lum is better for Kiss here, allowing it to absorb status and still remain useful.) Of course, if both of your leads are OHKO'd on the first turn, you're pretty much screwed regardless!

Next turn, the aim is to Protect/Explode. Rock/Steel/Ghosts are dealt with beforehand with Faint Attack, Earthquake and Aura Sphere.

Turn after, switch in either Hariyama or Metagross, and if Togekiss is alive, Follow Me/attack.

I'll give it a whirl. The Fake Out/Trick Room start has worked brilliantly so far, with the one weakness detailed in my previous post. Using the 'living Sub' approach may be the safest way to get TR down: the only 'dreadful circumstance' seems to be the extremely unlikely Togekiss OHKO/Bronzong OHKO, status or flinch.

I'm going to try Vaporeon in the existing team first (I've bred the thing, so I want to try it!), but thanks for giving me more ideas.

I'd say to anyone who hasn't played doubles to give it a try - it's a whole different ball game, and the format allows for more esoteric strategies that wouldn't fly in singles. You never know...
  4. Lickitungyourmom

Lickitungyourmom

you obviously didnt read my strat darkseeker4. Suicune may be better with all evs in defense in OU, not battle tower you noob moron :) It has to survive being switched in after slaking has attacked. After a calm mind it can beat down most battle tower special attackers too.
    Know your shit before you correct me. This isnt OU. Repeat for all you morons, not OU
  5. Eppie

Eppie

I don't think you have to start calling people morons if you do not agree with what their saying to you..
    You might even consider not to post in this topic, as your saying ''no one would believe your score..''

I just started the most important streak in my battle tower career!
    It's streak 196 - 203. If I manage to beat 7 trainers this would be my first 200+ score :)

edit: Lost at battle #220. So my score will be #219. I'll post a picture soon.
  6. FastHippo

FastHippo

Zracknel has used Slaking to get to the tenth spot.

Your team is completely unprepared for the hazards of the BT. How does your team handle QC, OHKOs, Focus Band or Sash, Countersash, Double Team, status, crits, weather teams, Trick Room, Endure/Reversal/Salac Berry or Bright Powder?

Overall, this is a really good thread. We're not into abusing each other. If you can't control yourself, please pick a thread where there is a greater tolerance for the way you're behaving.

Your write up is devoid of any meaningful insight. Without a more in depth strategy provided, I find your claim to be dubious, at best. If you read Zacknel's post, you will see a huge difference between his and yours.
  7. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

Annnnd not much more to say there, seeing as Fast said what was needed.

Anyway, just got to 126; the team is still going strong. So yeah, I beat my goal of 100, very satisfied and happy I could accomplish that. So for the most part I've got my feet wet, it's time to make a run for the record list.

Some notes I've made...

Uxie needs Knock Off. It helped so many times it's not even funny. And I've also come to find it's pretty rare for something to 2HKO it, and I've only been thankful for having a Sash twice. But regardless of number, I'm still keeping it. The extra screen time from Light Clay isn't missed at all. Garchomp and Scizor are quick to set up, anyway. Also, Scizor & Garchomp are clearly insane Pocket Monsters. I have to go plug in stats up to 126, but 49 to 119...

POKÉMON USAGE:
    Uxie beat alone 0/210 = 0.00% Pokémon
    Garchomp beat alone 114/210 = 54.28% Pokémon
    Scizor beat alone 90/210 = 42.85% Pokémon
    4/210 = 1.90% were beaten by two or all team members working together.
    2/210 = 0.95% = Opponent Perish Songed / Killed itself.

So yeah. After I plug in the latest stats Garchomp's percent should go up a bit (5 sweeps in that run of seven compared to Scizor's 2)

Looking forward to going further. d(' 'd)
  8. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

I forgot Latios could learn Memento but I don't think it would be a good tricker. Maybe this:

Latios@ Light Clay
    levitate
    timid, 252 Spe, 252 HP, 6 Def
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Memento
    Thunder Wave/ Dragon Pulse

Could work as a lead. Also I just lost with my Uxie trick team at battle 141 to a Houndoom lead:
    turn 1: Uxie used trick, Houndoom obtained Choice Scarf, Houndoom used Dark Pulse, Uxie lost 60% of its health
    turn 2: Houndoom used Dark Pulse, Uxie fainted
    I send in Scizor
    turn 3: Houndoom used Dark Pulse, Scizor lost 20%, Scizor used Substitute
    turn 4: Houndoom used Dark Pulse, Scizor's substitute faded, critical hit!, Scizor used Swords Dance
    turn 5: Houndoom used Dark Pulse, Scizor lost 40%, critical hit!, Scizor used Substitute
    turn 6: Houndoom used Dark Pulse, Scizor's subtitute faded, critical hit!, Scizor used Swords Dance
    turn 7: Houndoom used Dark Pulse, Scizor lost 20% (deep in the red), Scizor used Swords Dance
    turn 8: Scizor used Bullet Punch, Houndoom fainted
    Trainer sends out Heatran (crap)
    turn 9: Heatran's quick claw activates, Heatran used Fire Fang, Scizor fainted (double crap)
    I send in Latios (if I have any chance I have to CM and then crit him)
    turn 10: Latios used Calm Mind, Heatran used Crunch, Latios lost 60%
    turn 11: Heatran's quick claw activates, Heatran used Crunch, Latios fainted

I know Peterko said the odds of getting critical hit twice in a row are next to none but what about 3 times in a row, WTF!!!! talk about insane hax.

I might try that new Latios as a lead next time paired up with Scizor and maybe a sub Heatran or Houndoom.
  9. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

Also, Fasthippo why don't you use Empoleon instead of Lapras? It is also 4X resistant to Ice and it is immune to SS, and has a bunch of other resistances. Or is there something I am missing. Oh and also, it is a penguin, that gives it an extra point, lol.
  10. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

updated the list...actually most of the guys have a "pending" status because of various reasons

also I´d like to ask Everstone what he meant with this statement (I forgot to ask earlier):

"It would appear so. I didn't have to start over since that 211 streak so I guess it's not surprising that I got that high in a few days."

question @ eppie: on december 4, you posted your 165 record with jumps team, on december 5, you notify us of facing wartortle at battle 166 and later the same day (yesterday) you lost at #220...
    did you get to 219 wins in just a day and half? how?

hmm, in the past three days I did quite many tower battles...28 on wednesday, 35 on thursday and 56 yesterday (I took a half-day off of work, the main reason was not the tower though lol)...man there´s still too many battles to win :/
  11. Everstone

Everstone Now 100% reliable
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Oh, that was just a response to this:
    "you got to 223 wins just 4 days after your 211 streak?"

It was cause that streak was gotten after that 211 streak, which would explain why I made a 200+ in a short amount of time.

That being said, I haven't been playing in the tower that much. I'm still on my newest streak sitting at 49 wins currently in single and am taking a break for a while to EV train some stuff in my game, so I won't be posting any battles for a while.
  12. Bozo

Bozo

lol!! actually ive seen some weird things like that - two NFE's in the one team (only somewhere between 50-100 i think) and i once saw a rhydon and rhyperior in the same team. ive been playing so many different versions though - it could have been in doubles, or even multi.

dont be a mornon yourself, even if you think someone is wrong.

anyway, i would like to know how you got a hp elec bold suicune.

nice!! i knew your team would do well :) and nice to see some usage calculations. i'm sure they spam types that your team struggles with.....

@peterko - thanks for updating the lists :) and man, you must be near 500 now?

i'm now trying the link battles again. just got past 42, but its pretty slow going since you cant turn off the animations, and i have two intimidators in my team (so many words at the bottom of the screen). i'll post my team/streak with details when it comes to an end. but i'm using gengar+smeargle on one DS and salamence+gyarados on the other. hopefully i can get to 50 this time.......
  13. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

lol Bozo yesterday I posted a warstory at #123 how in the world could I be near 500? I was at 91 on tuesday, math will tell you where I currently sit

sorry everstone, but I still don´t get it...does it mean you achieved 211 like a month ago or even earlier and that you only posted it "this late" where you already had another streak going which then ended at 223?
  14. FastHippo

FastHippo

Okay, I was so pissed off when my first Lapras run ended after 227 wins, I didn't even write it up. Well, I started another run, intent on quickly surpassing 311. It's two months later, it is still active at 196 wins. So, while I'm in a good mood, I'm going to write it up.

227 wins
    Hippowdon Impish @Focus Sash

186/132/151/72/116/99

Yawn
    Substitute
    Slack Off
    Sand Attack

Garchomp Jolly @Lum Berry

183/181/115/78/96/169

Substitute
    Swords Dance
    Outrage
    Earthquake

Lapras Modest @Leftovers Water Absorb

214/81/115/150/112/81
    81 is to outspeed Abomasnow and other Lapras

Substitute
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Thunderbolt

Turn 1
    If the first pokemon has an Ice attack that can freeze, that it's going to use, is faster, and does not have a Grass, Rock or Fighting attack, I will switch to Lapras.
    If not, I Yawn.

Lapras can usually take out at least one pokemon. A lot of Water and Ice types can't break its subs. Anyway, this doesn't happen very often.

Turn 2
    Sometimes a pokemon with a Water or Ice attack will have used a move like Hail or DD. If so I will switch to Lapras. This leaves me with an undamaged Hippo or 175/186. In this case, Lapras usually subs first.

Depending on the opponent, I will let Hippo die on Turn Two, if it can. This guarantees an SD for Garchomp, which is usually all she needs. Again, this is rare.

Turn Two usually goes like this. I use Slack Off if I know for a fact that I will be at 93/186 or less. I use Substitute if I know that even a crit will leave me enough for the sub. I will also sub if Hippo is faster and suspect a status attack or an attack that will cripple but not faint Hippo. I use Sand Attack when the opponents attacks are weak or I'm not sure which of the other conditions will apply.

Turn 3
    I'm starting to get the idea that you're not reading this anymore, or you're gonna stop. So, I'll make this long story short. The rest of the battle is about getting the opponent to 3/9 accurracy, or close enough if the opponent is dying from SS and is good setup fodder for Garchomp. I usually try to get at least 2 SDs and a sub when the opponent is at 3/9 accuracy. In most cases, a sub and an SD is better than 2 SDs. Especially if you have to use Outrage.

I've probably provided more than enough information for anyone who's not going to use this team. If you do use it and have questions, I'll answer them.

These battles can take a long time. If you want faster battles with a slightly lower win percentage. You should replace Sand Attack with EQ.
  15. FastHippo

FastHippo

Empoleon is one of the six or seven pokemon that I have seriously considered. I use Lapras instead, because Lapras can't be frozen. I am afraid of my Ice counter getting frozen on the switch. Also, Lapras has Water Absorb. I love healing Lapras with Water attacks aimed at my Hippo. Lapras has Thunderbolt. If Lapras is in, I want it to handle Flying types so that Garchomp isn't forced to use Outrage, without having a sub up. I almost forgot, I feel that I MUST have something that can handle Gyardos 3 and 4. Lapras has STAB on Ice Beam. Grass and Flying types need to be handled by Lapras when he gets on the field.
  16. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

holy crap I just almost died at 222

PI Cody...yeah I am not afraid to face these guys because of skarmory, well

crawdaunt starter was taken care of by skarmory, my mistake was not having a sub up on #2...here comes

M A M O freaking S W I N E

(sorry if I messed up the hail turns)
    ice fang, toxic missed -> note to myself: DUDE subroost because you can get frozen, or
    ice fang CH, roost
    hail, toxic missed
    ice fang CH, toxic missed
    ice fang froze skarm... ... ... at 27HP

snorlax comes in, ice fang
    earthquake, return (around 25%), hail stops
    hail, curse
    fissure missed, curse (another mistake, should´ve attacked)
    fissure missed, return, mamo in red (around 10-15%)
    fissure, snorlax fainted ...gg?

this is the mamo that even STAB starmie surf (belt) misses an OHKO on

psychic, missed O M F G, ice fang, latios survives with 32 HP, 23 after hail, hail ends
    PLEASE HIT, PLEASE, psychic, missed Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    ice fang, MISSED!!!!!!!!!!!! shoot me, just shoot me LOL
    psychic, mamoswine fainted

Glicor = what a sadistic game, seriously, first pokémon QC, second brightpowder and now 50/50 focus sash? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

quick dmg calc tells me the yache one may or may not die to psychic, the other one won´t lol, let skarmory die for the greater good (DM) is no option either, it will have to defrost...somehow

psychic, gliscor fainted

:D :D :D

next battle, #223, Roughneck...

shiftry switch to skarmory, dark pulse
    nasty plot (not this one PLEASE), toxic
    focus blast, skarmory survives with 9HP, substitute (stupid STUPID me I should´ve roosted/brave birded but hoped for a 38% miss)

now what? skarm might be able to roost against later

switch to snorlax, dark pulse plenty of dmg
    focus blast, return, shiftry dies to poison, snorlax at like 65 HP

skuntank (OMFG)

skuntank used return (?), snorlax surived with 7 HP, earthquake, shuca (25-30%)
    skuntank night slash, snorlax fainted

latios vs skuntank (damage calc tells me surf/bolt doesn´t KO for sure)
    draco meteor (praying), skuntank fainted

dusknoir (OMFG does the game want my heart to stop beating or what?)

I let latios in to DM at least once and let skarmory somehow roost and survive the possible t-punch/fire punch dusclops

draco meteor 45%, shadow punch, latios survives (WHAT? HOW?)
    switch to skarmory, shadow punch CH 9 dmg, skarmory fainted

latios damage calcs, DM is a sure KO, but psychic unless absolute minumim damage also...psychic, dusclops fainted

:D :D :D :D

#7 this round was a legendary trainer, latios 2HKOed cune with bolt, 1HKOed moltres and skarmory toxic stalled DT cresselia
  17. Griffin

Griffin

Okay, here's a team I've been thinking of making, and I'm pretty sure I can use your advice. As I'm sure none of you are surprised by, it uses trick.

---

Uxie @ Choice Scarf
    Timid/Jolly
    252 Spd, 258 Def/Sp. Def/HP
    - Trick
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Memento

----

This thing is a total cliché. Fortunately, she can pull it off; Uxie is one of my favourites. Her only real job is to use Trick. With a Scarf she is sure to outrun everything allowed in the BT that doesn't already carry a scarf, except in a rare situation Ninjask (protect for one speed boost). After that, if she survived (I hope she did) she lays down stealth rock to mess with sash carriers, Thunder Waves if I have a free turn, then mementoes.

The defensive EVs I haven't finished yet, but I will.

---

Now for the really different thing in my team:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash (Level 1)
    Any Nature
    No EVs.
    - Grudge

---

This thing doesn't need any other moves. Because Smeargle is so weak, it'll be killed by, well, anything, holding on with its sash, grudging, and then taking with it the PP of the move the opponent is locked into. This creates a situation of my opponent having to use a 50 BP normal type physical move; Struggle. Which means I get 4-5 or more free turns, depending on whether my opponent is paralyzed and whether his HP is dividable by four.

In this time, a Pokémon I don't like at all but that's just exactly perfect for the job gets to set up:

---

Scizor @ Lum Berry
    Adamant
    252 Attack, Devensive EVs I haven't worked out.
    - Substitute
    - Roost
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch

---

This is the Scizor everyone here knows so well. When battling a Pokémon using only struggle, this thing has an incredibly easy time setting up.

---

And that's my team. One big problem is that I don't have Platinum and I can't get my WiFi working, so getting Trick on Uxie will be hard, but oh well. I suppose I'll just have to work that out then.
  18. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

for 1.each stat cant have over 255 eves so your better of putting 252speed/252def/6hp{or special defence}
    i also think instead of 252def your better of with 252in hp and speed + 6 in def/sp.def
  19. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

i know my stuff and i dont see you adding value to this thread by posting a team which doesnt look like it can get very far in the battle tower.i dont see you posting your wins either means you havnt got very far or this whole thing is made up so you dont come here and start saying whatever you feel like.i could name a bunch of pocket monsters your team will fall to!but im not wasting time on you!go cheak the list.

edit:sorry for the double post!
  20. Griffin

Griffin

My point was that the other 258 would be split between the two defenses and HP in whatever way appropriate for Uxie in this scenario.

---

I also now realize that I didn't include in my last post two things I'm worried about:

1. Weather changers (Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Abomasnow): their weather will make my sash useless, therefore grudge won't work. I'm thinking about adding memento to Smeargle's moves too. Would that make the three weak enough for Scizor to set up on (even if they can switch moves, because I then can't risk tricking)? Another option would be to add a weather move over Thunder Wave, but that would mean I would have to survive two attacks from them (one while I trick, and one while I'm now slower because they have CS).

2. Pokémon who can't get CS or won't be affected by it (Gastrodon, Muk, Swalot, Lopunny): I actually think none of these pose a real threat to Scizor, especially if they've been memento'd twice, but I'd have to check that.
  21. Ranz

Ranz

god.... why the hax??? why????!!! Screw you OHKO moves!!

i just got Ko'ed at the 56th battle by a Quick Claw+OHKO move hax.
  22. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

how about giving smeargle endevour
    so endevour due to wether so he 1hp...you die
    scizor bp ftw!!
  23. Griffin

Griffin

Then they're fainted, yes, but that wasn't the point at all. All I then have is a Scizor with +0 attack and no sub and two Pokémon to face. The whole point of the first two Pokémon is to make it easy for Scizor to set up (by forcing them to use a weak attack on Scizor's better defensive stat and on top of that one that he resists).
  24. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

struggle only lasts four or five turns in DP, which means you will have three or four turns to set up scizor as they struggle to death. three would be a problem cause you'd only be able to get two SDs and a Sub which would eventually spell trouble for you, especially against sailors and battle girls/black belts since you only have one pokemon with attacking moves. a few times i have had to let scizor die for latios to clean up, but peace of mind knowing that an unboosted latios dragon pulse is enough to clean up basically everything that's 30% and under is pretty awesome
  25. Griffin

Griffin

I know it lasts 4-5 turns, but I don't know where that 3-4 suddenly came from. It doesn't take a turn to switch out Smeargle, it just fainted if everything is going correctly, which means I get a sub and three SDs at least.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)