1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Age of Kings

Age of Kings of the Ash Legion
    is a Forum Moderator

Wow, you're the first person to wish me good luck, thanks! o_o But yeah, the amount of time it takes bothers me as well, and I wish there was a way to turn off the fancy Pokeball and actual Pokemon animations to make it even quicker (because turn off animations only works for moves...)

I'm EV training atm, I should begin some day this week depending on how much work my school wants to shove me before Christmas break, but I'm still thinking of what pucnhes to stick on Medicham.

I'm definitely putting on Fire Punch, but the choice between Thunder and Ice is a toss-up with Weavile on the team. =/ Medicham is meant to be clean-up, but if I want to get it on the field early on in the match, or Weavile fails to kill something, I don't want to be caught stuck. On the other hand, I'm not sure that Hi Jump Kick STAB will cover bulky waters, especially Gyarados who otherwise runs me over.
  2. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

Yeah, although being faster than some Pocket Monsters can be a plus thanks to the screens. Like, say predicting special and getting Light up before the attack, basically stopping their chances of being a threat to Uxie. (Bar crit) And glad you like the idea. :D

Also, I've been exploring other possibilities for a Yawn lead. And, you know, I think a water-type could fit... well, perfectly. Luckily a good portion of Yawn Pocket Monsters are water-type. The reason I'm liking water here is because what are the weaknesses? Grass & Electric. Scizor 4x resists Grass, and Garchomp is immune to Electric. While at the same time, the opponent won't throw Ice Beams or Fire-type attacks in my face, thanks to the resist. Blastiose does look promising. Something like a Protect/Yawn Blast could work, I'm guessing. So basically I agree with what you said earlier, Fast. So many ideas and possibilities to try, so little time.
  3. Age of Kings

is a Forum Moderator

You know what's an idea? Use Vaporeon, Yawn, Wish then BP so the next Pokemon gets in for free whether the opponent wakes up or not, set up, sweep.

If you want something faster....perhaps use Golduck whose ability guarantees a second turn (though it only learns Light Screen if you want team support), with its Sash not being ruined by weather and all. Garchomp still benefits from the SS when you switch out.
  4. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

Whoa, I completely forgot about Vappy. Thanks Age. :D That really could fit nicely.

In other news, just got my streak to 161. d(' 'd)
  5. Age of Kings

is a Forum Moderator

Congrats and no problem, BeachBoy. In fact, here's the set I have in mind if it helps at all:

Vaporeon @ Focus Sash
    your nature/spread xD

Yawn
    Wish
    Charm
    Baton Pass/Surf

So I outlined the synergy between Wish and Yawn, no extra explanation needed. To further cripple opponent sweepers, Charm is there. Focus Sash is there because unlike Uxie, Vaporeon is slow and vulnerable to many more sorts of opponent sweepers.

I only left Baton Pass as an option versus Surf since your other Pokmon are fairly bulky and can take the hit on the switch and in case Vaporeon ends up being your last Pokemon or last resort against Heatran or something.
  6. FastHippo

FastHippo

I'm pretty sure you understood, but I just want to make sure. I wanted Uxie to be slow because I wanted it to take the hit before U-Turning to Garchomp.

Age of Kings beat me to it, Vaporeon is on my future leads list.
  7. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

Yup, I understood. I was just saying I don't mind the speed on my Uxie seeing as I don't have U-turn.

And heh, I kinda thought that'd be the case with Vappy.
  8. Bozo

Bozo

ah my mistake - i mistook you for the guy who had recently posted a 400+ photo! was that jumpman?

and about everstone, i know he puts in some solid time in the battle tower! i gave him a tip on the emerald battle factory, and he went through that in a day ;)

wow - nice going!! and nice story :) i love it when that happens - reminds me of the times i had to choose an attack on my CB mence whenit was my last poke and i hadnt seen their last one. so sweet when you guess right.

thats a beauty!! but doent you get some kind of satisfaction out of putting in the work for it? i know its kind of "skill-less" in a way, but maximising your chances of success by switching parents, finding egg move chains where necessary, its kinda fun. although there does come a point where youve done everything you can, and just have to sit back and check a bunch of eggs, hoping the RNG throws something your way.

anyway, just posting to say my multi streak came to an end after 51 wins. even though i didnt win the whole 50-56 set, my team still got ribbons, which was the only reason i was trying it. my team:

a slight variation of my doubles team. smeargle is held back to turn two, since dark void can be risky, and if he comes out mid-battle, often one enemy is weakened and i can just spore the other one, one at a time. also, charizard comes out for salamence.

i very rarely used dragon dance on either "dragon". i mainly just blasted my way through as well as i could. with gengar and yache-mence leads, those guys just about have to be KO'd 4 times before they go down. then if gengar goes out, smeargle can keep one or both opponents asleep while whichever dragon is in sweeps (possibly with a DD or two depending on the situation).

the inability to switch between teams really hurt me with this strategy though. sometimes i really wanted to switch smeargle in to replace one of the dragons for example.

i dont remember the exact moves of the battle that ended my run, but i was against a regirock+claydol lead.

1. gengar used shadow ball - 80-90% to claydol (never OHKO's but was hoping for crit). salamence used earthquake - 40% to regirock. regirock used stone edge - salamence dead (damn clear body!). claydol used trick room.
    • i'd pretty much banked on claydol attacking gengar, and figured i could use energy ball to finish off regirock while gyarados uses waterfall on claydol.
    anyway, the trick room totally screwed my speed-based team, and i really never recovered... still the ribbon is all i was after. and a 51 win-streak is good enough for me - i will probably never talk to the lady on the left again!!!
  9. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

"Googoo gagga."

The words you hear once Gentlemen Jerrell defeats you. Or in this case, me. Battle 165. (meaning my streak ends at 164)

I knew once he walked out I was going to face a legendary team, and I did. The lead and inevitable "here's your hax loss"

Raikou 2 Naughty Lax Incense 165 150 95 135 108 167 Crunch Thunder Fang Leer Double Team Atk/Speed

Now without a speed plus nature, Chomp outspeeds and swiftly KOs. Except this one had plus speed! :D (16%) Everything went as planned, except the misses.

I may make some mistakes with this log, just... way too pissed off.

Double Team, Knock Off (lol, messed these two turns up)
    Double Team, Reflect
    Double Team, Yawn
    Switch to Chomp, Leer
    Raikou falls asleep.
    I set up substitute, sleep.
    I swords dance for the next few Pocket Monsters, wakes up, Double Team.
    Double Team, Earthquake miss.
    Crunch, Earthquake miss and my sub is gone.
    I switch to Scizor to absorb Crunch, Double team. That's +6.
    Leer, I set up substitute.
    Superpower (just trying to hurt the guy) miss, Leer Blocked.
    Repeat
    Swords Dance, since his leers aren't doing anything.
    Repeat
    (+6 has a small chance to OHKO, but knock off damage might bring it in average range)
    Thunder Fang breaks sub and I get to +6.
    BP misses, Thunder Fang takes a huge chunk and PAR ACTIVATES! Paralyzed.
    BP MISSES! Thunder Fang finishes it off.
    I send out Uxie, Yawn, Crunch takes about ~35 - 40% (might've been lower or higher, I dunno)
    I switch to Chomp, Crunch (or might have been leer, can't remember)
    I set up sub while asleep
    I had to SD here, I just know a +0 Chomp can't win me this ball game. Stays asleep.
    Wakes up, Crunch DOESN'T break sub. O_o Earthquake misses!
    Subless and outsped, I which to Uxie, as I can possibly get one more Yawn off.
    CRIT! Crunch takes it down to red, and finishes it off.
    Chomp outsped and KO'd by Crunch.

Gentlemen Jerrell vs. BeachBoy 3 - 0.

"Googoo gagga."

The words you hear when a fudging DT +speed Raikou sweeps your entire team. UGH.

My team post is (here) for the record list, Peterko. Thanks.

Well, I guess I'm just being hard on myself, I did great for first serious team. Maybe this'll give me the chance to try some other ideas as well. Next time, I'm going to Yawn as early as I can.
  10. EeveeTrainer

EeveeTrainer

Just had an intense battle with Jump's C/L/S team. Here's a recap.

Pokefan Seline sends out Breloom.
    Ian sends out Cresselia.

Cresselia Tricks, Breloom obtains Choice Scarf, Cresselia obtains Focus Sash.
    Breloom uses counter, but it failed.

I switch to Scizor (in hindsight, a bad move since Scizor uses contact moves unlike Latios -- fearing Effect Spore)
    Breloom uses counter, it failed.

I sub and Swords Dance 3 times while it keeps using Counter.

Scizor uses Bullet Punch and Breloom faints, but Breloom's Effect Spore puts Scizor to sleep! (why doesnt sub block this, ugh)

In comes Rapidash and I roll my eyes.

Rapidash 4 Jolly Passho Berry 140 152 90 90 100 172 Flare Blitz Megahorn Hypnosis Sunny Day Atk/Speed

It's this one, so Latios isn't safe against it, and it will probably just try to put Cresselia to sleep. (no fucking sleep clause in the BT)

I figure I should just sacrifice Scizor. Rapidash uses Flare Blitz, sub breaks while Scizor is fast asleep.

I see it using Flare Blitz, so I figure if I let it kill Scizor it will bring it to low enough HP that Latios can finish it off with Dragon Pulse.

Scizor faints and I bring in Latios to finish it off. Rapidash faints.

Last poke Armaldo and I "ugh", since it's:

Armaldo 4 Adamant Quick Claw 150 194 120 81 132 65 Swords Dance Stone Edge X-Scissor Earthquake Atk/Sp. Def

X-Scissor will OHKO Latios.

My Cresselia is at full HP and has a Focus Sash from Breloom. I figure Cresselia is useless as a last Pokemon, so I switch Cresselia into an X-Scissor, taking it to 107/227 HP. At this point I know the way I can win is to try to set up Reflect so Latios is only 2hko'd by X-Scissor, which would allow it to 2hko Armaldo with Dragon Pulse. All of this is hoping Armaldo doesn't get any Quick Claw activations, because if Armaldo Quick Clawed Cresselia and killed it before it could Reflect, I'd have had no chance with Latios (barring a CH).

Luckily, Quick Claw doesn't activate, and Cresselia sets up Reflect. Armaldo X-Scissors and Cresselia is taken to 53/227 HP. At this point I can either Thunder Wave or Flash it, but then I get the idea to tell Armaldo to "gimme that" and I take its Quick Claw with Trick and give it Focus Sash. This way, Latios is safe from Armaldo going first with X-Scissor when it tries to kill it with Dragon Pulse. After Tricking, Cresselia faints from X-Scissor.

Go Latios, it uses Dragon Pulse, takes Armaldo to about 48% (it's EV'd in Atk and SpDef, figures), Armaldo uses X-Scissor and takes Latios to 76/156 HP. Latios recovers with Leftovers to 85/156 HP.

Latios uses Dragon Pulse, Armaldo faints, Pokefan Seline is defeated for a streak of 171.
  11. FastHippo

FastHippo

That was the first thing that came to my mind. If I'm staying in, I will always Yawn Turn One, unless I'm faster and I strongly suspect a status attack. This also allows you to scout the item, for Knock Off. Bottomline, the Turn One Yawn means fewer turns for them to execute their strategy. I almost never like to bring in Garchomp the turn after Yawn, if it can be damaged or inflicted with something that Lum won't cure. Especially the second time, Uxie could have used Reflect. If Uxie faints, no screen, but you're in for free. If not, you have a screen up.

I'm gonna switch to IE. Okay, now I can make paragraphs. I'm adding more, now.

If you Yawn and then Reflect, you bring in Garchomp. If the current pokemon can seriously threaten Garchomp and is faster or is using DT, I will attack immediately, if Garchomp can OHKO. That's why I'm not a big fan of Reflect. If Raikou were Charmed rather than Reflected, you can keep putting up subs, without a time limit(I know Uxie can't Charm).

If you KO Raikou or it wakes, don't forget, you have an undamaged Uxie to switch back to. Sometimes if they wake up and break my sub before I SD, I will switch back to Hippo in order to Yawn them again. I've won a few matches this way. This gives me three or four chances to get the two turn sleep that I need.

I may add to this, later. I probably left out a lot of stuff.

Of course, Charm isn't perfect. It can miss and doesn't affect Clear Bodies. Still, on rare occasions something gets in six DTs, Hippo/Jolteon get in six Flashes/Sand-Attacks and/or three Charms. I get my three SDs, usually while they finish their six DTs. I hit once, they're gone. They hit, they can't even break my sub without a crit.
  12. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

Whoa, thanks Fast. That advice helps a bunch. And yeah, just did the calc, Garchomp can OHKO without set up. Mmm'kay, well, it's great to learn from my mistake.

Hmm, also kinda makes me want a Charm lead more.
  13. Unholy Genesiss

Unholy Genesiss

Single Tower
    189 winning streak

Please mark me down as under - Hakio.

Dragonite @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 112 Atk / 200 SpA / 196 Spe
    Mild
    ~ Superpower
    ~ Outrage
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Thunderbolt

Azelf @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 ATK / 232 Speed / 24 HP
    Adamant
    ~ Zen Headbutt
    ~ Ice Punch
    ~ Explosion
    ~ U-Turn

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 136 ATK / 252 Defense / 116 HP
    Impish
    ~ Power Whip
    ~ Knock Off
    ~ Leech Seed
    ~ Sleep Powder
  14. Age of Kings

is a Forum Moderator

@Unholy Genesis: I don't believe you posted your streak correctly, your team has no commentary whatsoever. :/

As I mentioned, all the more reason to run Vaporeon. :)
  15. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

I think I might do that. Seeing how a disabling Vappy with Yawn & Charm does in the first 49 battles would be a good thing to try. I remember how FastHippo said Yawn by itself isn't crippling, and that's true, so I'd like to add more of a disabling/crippling factor. Screens are just... er, defensive buffers. But absolutely shutting down the opponent with something like Charm so they can barely touch Garchomp (or Scizor) looks great. (And we all know it works fantastically, thanks to Fast) Not to mention that Water-typing fits with Garchomp & Scizor perfectly. Although I probably would miss Knock Off, or at least I'm guessing that. It did play a very helpful role in this BT run. But yeah, I would like to give Vappy a try 'n' see how it does. Another cool option is... Vappy can learn Sand Attack. It's got quite the movepool, so there's plenty of apples to choose from.

In short, basically a "carbon copy" FastHippo strategy. XD *shot*
  16. FastHippo

FastHippo

Don't forget your Uxie team, if you had Yawned on Turn One, you might still be going. So, like you already said, get a feel for Vaporeon in battles 1-49. I am very curious as to what this type of fairly slow, bulky Yawner can do. I was planning on sharing some of my findings, but I'm more interested to wait and see what you come up with.
  17. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

I won't, I wanna give the UGS team another go once I hit 49, I know it can do better, now that I know how to go about things this time. And sure, I'll gladly report on how it does. First things first though, gotta get one.
  18. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

i am done using trick/ yawn teams in the battle tower. they are good but it takes too long to set up and i find myself getting bored. i'm making a pure sweeper team to use now to see how far i can get before getting haxed, or straight up beaten, but then again i got haxed with my Uxie team so i guess you can't avoid it anyway. so here's the team so far:

Zapdos@ wise glasses/ expert belt/ life orb (wouldn't it be cool to have all 3?)
    pressure
    timid, 252 Spe, 252 Satk, 6 Atk
    Thunderbolt
    HP Ice 66, 67, or 68 (i forget)
    Heat Wave
    U-turn

Garchomp@ lum berry/ yache berry/ leftovers
    sand veil
    jolly, 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 6 HP
    Outrage/ Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Fire Fang/ Substitute
    Swords Dance

And I don't know what the 3rd one will be yet. Preferably a good water, ice, steel type to counter my ice weakness. Any suggestions for a 3rd sweeper??

** Also one last question about yawn teams. Has anyone considered Gastrodon or Togekiss for a yawn lead? Gastrodon is a bit slow but it gets memento and has recover so....
    Gastrodon/ Togekiss@ leftovers/focus sash
    bold/ calm/ whatever ev's
    yawn/ yawn
    recover/ roost
    flash/ flash
    memento/ charm?

could be pretty neat to try but i'm going to start using my sweeper team once I get a 3rd poke.
  19. EeveeTrainer

EeveeTrainer

For months, Peterko's opening line of this thread had teased me...

His clever marketing slogan for the Battle Tower thread had gotten to me -- or maybe it was just serving for years as a sounding board for Jump's incredible yet admittedly incessant theorymoning. Either way, I was inferior at something Pokemon-related: I wasn't on the damn list. No more. Now I can claim to be one of the very best...

[​IMG]

Nothing complicated here, just replicated Jump's awesome Cresselia/Latios/Scizor team. The results have been extraordinary since I lost with it at battle 50 to lead Mefagross my last time around. Starting now, however, there will be one change to the team... the nicknames will be...

Cresselia @Choice Scarf ** GregMaddux
    Latios @Leftovers ** A-Rod
    Scizor @Sitrus Berry ** BradLidge

:jump::jump::jump:

(also, watch out Jump, I'm literally halfway to you...........)
  20. FastHippo

FastHippo

Yes, Togekiss was going to be my next Yawn lead, until I discovered Jolteon. Since then I have other Yawners I prefer over Togekiss. Gastrodon is way down on my list. Its ability is useless. It may have some potential, but when I saw that Memento and Yawn were both Egg Moves, I stopped considering it. Even if it's possible to get both, it would still be towards the bottom of viable leads.
  21. Groombridge

Groombridge

This thread's really taken off in the last few days - there are loads of awesome ideas floating around!

I'm now running Vaporeon in my Trick Room doubles team (Bronzong/Hariyama/Vaporeon/Metagross), and it's working well. As for the 'in case of Fires' protocol: in the event of double Fire leads that threaten Bronzong, the idea is to bring in Vaporeon and Metagross while the AI aims at least one Fire attack at Vaporeon. Next turn, they should aim for Meta, who Protects, while Vap brings watery justice. Let's see it in action:

- -
    Some trainer used Moltres and Heatran!

deuteronopia switched in Bronzong and Hariyama!

Awooga! Awooga! Fire! Fire! Everybody out!

Turn 1
    deuteronopia switched in Vaporeon and Metagross!

Moltres used Heat Wave!
    Heatran used Earthquake!

Metagross fainted!

._.

Vaporeon took about 40% damage!

deuteronopia switched in Hariyama!

Time to see if this works...

Turn 2
    Hariyama used Fake Out!
    Moltres flinched!

Heatran used Earthquake!
    Some damage!

Vaporeon used Surf!
    Moltres and Heatran survived with 10-15% each!

Balls.

Long story short, deuteronopia ended up losing!

- -
    So much for that idea. My team needs to get TR down - it's at too much of a disadvantage otherwise, and as you can see, switching in doubles can be very risky indeed.

So I gave Occa Berry to Bronzong. The bell now effectively has no weaknesses, but it can instead be sleephaxed or whatever. This means the target for Yama's Fake Out is whatever can hax the Zong, not kill it. So things with sleep moves, Swagger, whatever. Thinking back, very few things have tried to status Zong on turn 1. Fire types are predictable - they will always try to kill Zong, so only a heavy Fire crit can do that.

Test number two:

- -
    Trainer switched in Blaziken and Typhlosion!

deuteronopia switched in Occa Bronzong and Hariyama!

They keep coming and we fall back... the line must be drawn here! This far, and no further!

Turn 1
    Hariyama used Fake Out!
    Typhlosion flinched!

Blaziken used Flare Blitz!
    A critical hit!
    Occa Berry! Super effective!

Oh, ha ha.

Bronzong survived with about 10%!

Bronzong used Trick Room!

Hariyama was badly poisoned by the Toxic Orb!

o_0

Zong lives! If it can survive a CH Flare Blitz from Blaziken, then it can tank pretty much anything. Within reason.

Turn 2
    Bronzong used Reflect!
    Hariyama used Earthquake!

Blaziken and Typhlosion died!

Trainer switched in Charizard and Breloom!

Turn 3
    Bronzong used Hypnosis!
    Breloom fell asleep!

Hariyama used Rock Slide!
    Charizard died!

Turn 4
    Bronzong used Faint Attack, why not?
    Hariyama used Hundred Hand Close Combat!

Perfect!

- -
    So out with double-switching, and in with Occa Berry. Vaporeon rocks also - by replacing the Ground-weak Empoleon, my team now has no shared weaknesses. I might make this a 'cardinal rule', in addition to 'no 4x weaks'.

Running Protect on Metagross has altered the team's playing style as well. I used to try to get everything done in one Trick Room, but now I'm playing a longer game, bringing Zong back to restart TR, using switches more offensively and predicting more.

The team feels good, and it's at 77 wins so far. A couple of the legendary-only trainers put up a serious fight, but Metagross, Vaporeon and Guts Hariyama can focus fire OHKO so much stuff between them it's ridiculous.
  22. Everstone

Everstone Now 100% reliable
    is a Contributor to Smogon

What purpose does Faint Attack have on Zong? Is it just some generic damage dealer? If so, using something like Gyro Ball would be preferred since it gets STAB on it, plus I doubt battles will last very long so the 8 max PP shouldn't be a concern. Maybe even another support move or Explosion could work in that slot.
  23. Griffin

Griffin

I have a new team in mind, that involves Baton Passing a Belly Drum to a Weavile. I have a question. Would the following be stoppable if it had +6 attack and a sub?

Weavile @ Life Orb (or perhaps something else)
    252/252/6
    - Night Slash
    - Ice Shard
    - Brick Break
    - Substitute

Edit: nevermind, I'd never get it a BD anyway. Too bad sleep isn't a set amount of turns.
  24. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

RECORD!

for the moment, I own the highest "DP ONLY" Battle Tower Single Record ;)

[​IMG]

hmm, next time I should ask my mother to take a screen-pic without light at all...lol my DS is actually white

don´t worry jump, it´s still 10 rounds of 7 til I catch up to you, plenty of time to lose on the way ;)
  25. FastHippo

FastHippo

Congratulations, I'm currently at 203 and 105, so I've got quite a way to go. It's great that you have gotten two new pokemon into the 300 club.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)