1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

ok i haven't read any posts since this morning, when i left for work and restarted my streak of 420. i am at 435 now after playing primarily in the car (gg snowy traffic) and will now post what ive been thinking about since seeing your 427, peterko

so here's another super-honesty jump post: i only remotely "care" about the bt record like right now, and i dont even think i really do. i broke my kneecap on oct 12 when i was at like 240, and therefore was forced to miss almost two months of work. after the first few weeks of actual discomfort and pain, the possibility of playing literally close to 150 battles a day was definite. but after getting to 336 just a week after my injury, i...just didnt care, lol. i'd put way too much into getting the record to continue to care i guess, and needed a huge break. you'll notice that there's over two weeks of time in between 336 and 406...70 battles in 16 days? with almost all the time in the world? i mean, i could have lost at like 341 on Oct 17 or whatever, and if I cared, could have made it back up to 300 in three days. obviously this is assuming i dont lose, but my biggest opponent has always been time, and even if i gayed an extra lot, assuming i care, i could/would get back to 300 in like 3-4 days, with that kind of time on my hands (not to mention the lack of mobility).

but i didnt care, lol. if you don't understand how bt maniac jump can be turned off by the BT when he actually has real time on his hands, realize that it probably has everything to do with this awesome, "best on smogon" thread peterko's made. it didn't matter what i did after 336, since, as i think ive said, the battle stopped being fun for me in like march. and it stopped being fun because i was just chasing 330, that's really it. the only fun parts were theorymonning new teams and playing with them initially to see how they worked. and actually, the Latias/Garchomp/Scizor team I theorymonned in the last two months or whatever...so many times I wanted to play with that team, "for fun". remember fun? yeah. that didn't exist for me anymore (largely cause i didn't have a second DP cartridge but whatever) because i had a current streak, and regardless of how much i want to have fun it'd be dumb to change my team midstreak to do so. and it would also be rightly considered cheating to even save my progress via savestate or whatever it's called (i dont have an AR for the DS so i wouldn't know) so i could actually start up another streak with a different team on the same cart, so yeah i was ''stuck with my stupid 357 and 371 and 406 streaks". but after 406 i purposely didn't post that i really wasnt playing cause i didn't want anyone to think that i'd stopped, didn't want to encourage those chasing me.

however, i am pretty sure i still don't really care, not as long as i actually have an active streak (this is probably the only reason i dont care lol), and especially not if it's "only" peterko, because this is "our thread" and we both deserve to be at the top, lol. the Emerald Battle Frontier thread that really started all his amazing efforts was almost going to be lost on the third or fourth page of the "RSFRLGE Forum" (before i renamed it Ever Grande)...i luckily found it after a few days, bumped it and stickied it before even knowing peterko, because he probably wasn't going to bump it or repost. and nw knowing peterko...well, eeveetrainer and i still cant get over how i pretty much am an "american peterko", we are that fucking similar it is ridiculous, especially given english isnt his/your first language (this is kind of an open PM at this point right now, lol). so yeah, this is our thread, and we can do whatever we like. and if you're anything like me (you are), you are kind of tired of the stress of chasing a gigantic streak (for all you know i was at like 533), and this is the "only" reason you're playing 56, 70, 91 battles a day sometimes. so we can call a sort of "truce" or whatever, it's not really a truce because i honestly dont care if you continue to play 56+ battles a day, but i honestly dont think you will, because i honestly dont think you'll *want to* knowing that i'm "only" at 435 (i just lolled at saying only there, "only 435" just hahaha). regardless of what you do i wont really be compelled to play with my free time, even if i just got a lot more with my statistics course finally finishing yesterday after like three months, and i'm "prety sure" you'd rather not stress over a record if you dont have to, lol
  2. EeveeTrainer

EeveeTrainer

he puts virginia woolf to shame
  3. Shelcario

Shelcario

Haven't posted on Smogon for about a week now and reading through the previous 2-3 pages of this thread I now know that Beachboy's yawning team is very successful,Peterko and Jumpman are still tearing it up in the Battle Tower and, I'm guessing at a little competition with each other, but looking at Jumpman's post on this page it doesn't seem that he "cares" that much anymore:) I really need to get my ass into gear and get a streak going in one of the sections of the Battle Tower that's actually doable that hasn't already been dominated by the "Battle Tower Titans!"
  4. Jumpman16

is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

for posterity:

[​IMG]

also i forgot to mention that instead of playing the singles BT again after 406 i started playing doubles and even doing contests hardcore lol, that's how little i wanted to play singles, i started harvesting all the berries i had to, read the contest strats, did poffins lol, bred a togekiss, the works...but nothing that had to do with singles because no lol
  5. Diana

Diana Fennekin the cutest
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor Alumnus

Seriously Jumpman, you just obviously do what you want there, but no matter if your streak gets broken or not, I think we pretty much all can agree you're the king of this place.

On my end I'd love to break my personal record of 102, then I'll shoot for the leaderboard.
  6. Kier

Kier

jump have i ever told you that i love the almost masochistic dedication you put into all of this?

~that clean feeling~
  7. starfox

starfox

My records 102 i think.
    ~Star Fox
  8. Age of Kings

Age of Kings

Jump, I should be scared to ask what your playtime is :(
  9. Aeroblacktyl

Aeroblacktyl The pizza doesn't scream in the oven! LOL!
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

okay i lied, jump was at 435...
  10. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

well, I have to reread your post a few times to fully understand what you wrote, it´s morning after all :)

but let me say this, for the last two weeks (and before that) I was pretty much only driven by the fact, that "I have to chase jumpman´s record", because I´m a Pokémon addict and I see the BT competitively (competition always motivated me)...otherwise I wouldn´t theorymon all the time (the full extent of this is hardly understandable for anyone except for maybe jump)and I would´ve tried a different team after losing with this 3-4 times pretty early after my 244 run...but I wanted to do one last run with this team and I had a 49 record ready on pearl, so why not do my first run on pearl with my best team so far?

that being said, I also want to stress that I see FastHippo as a serious contestant, which was another motivating factor for me, he may not have the free time to play many rounds, but slowly, he will catch up to "us" in a month or two. I like the fact that he pretty much created his own unique strategy and sticked with it. I mean, he has kids and plays the tower, now how cool is that.

let´s not forget TRE who I am personally "scared of" in the means of "he´ll fight back, the question is when?" lol, I mean he´s the person who did 200, 300 and 400 runs AFTER he achieved his 600+ doubles record...

as for caring for the tower right now, I think I have a nice streak going on :) and I do care, only just because I can´t stop...I currently don´t even understand and realize "how far" I got...it´s surreal, so I just focus on each battle, I don´t care whether I lose, but give my best not to lose
  11. FastHippo

FastHippo

Thanks for the acknowledgement. You guys are amazing. Both of you are really not leaving me any margin for error.

I usually plan on playing at night when we watch TV. We have watched all episodes of classics like Gilligan's Island, Bewitched and many others. Then we watch current stuff like Narnia and Wall-E. I don't want to think about how many episodes of Hannah Montana or Wizards of Waverly Place, I've watched instead of doing a BT run. Oh, we recently watched DBZ Season Seven on DVD. Season Eight is my favorite.

Well, I'm gonna keep plugging along. I'm currently at 210 and 112. I'm really starting to use Jolteon even more effectively. The battles are really straightforward. Garchomp has gotten 69 consecutive KOs.

I'm seriously considering replacing Gyarados with any one of about seven pokemon. In terms of resistances, Skarmory is the best fit. It's not my leading choice, but it's near the top.
  12. Griffin

Griffin

Congratulations again to everyone getting such huge streaks.

I've been theorymoning for a while, and I'm wondering; if you send out a L1 Pokémon (i. e. one they can easily OHKO) do they always attack, or do they at times choose a status move/weather move/something else? If they always go with an attack I have quite a nice team planned.
  13. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

peterko i hope i can ask this here!otherwise your free to delete or warn me!
    jump that is a nice looking scizor but the sad part is i dont have platinum.
    is this a good subsitute!
    lucario@dont know
    adamant
    252att/252speed/6hp
    bullet punch
    subsitute
    sword dance
    close combat/brick break!!
  14. Griffin

Griffin

The nice thing about Scizor is that it has Technician for a very powerful Bullet Punch and a huge attack stat on top of that.
  15. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

ok how about
    scizor@leftovers/sitrus berry
    tecnition
    quick attack
    substitue
    sword dance
    x-scissor/night slash/brickbreak(cant hit ghost : ( )
  16. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

no 500 for me, damn it...you win jump, I lose

DP BT Single Streak: 459

here the link to my 244 streak http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1562346&postcount=962

Latios
    Item: Choice Specs
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Hasty
    IVs: 30 HP / 23 Attack / 10 Defense / 30 Sp. Atk / 30 Sp. Def / 27 Speed
    EVs: 26 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 232 Speed
    Lv. 100 Stats: 306 HP / 208 Attack / 157 Defense / 358 Sp. Atk / 255 Sp. Def / 341 Speed
    Lv. 50 Stats: 158 HP / 106 Attack / 81 Defense / 181 Sp. Atk / 130 Sp. Def / 172 Speed
    Battle Moves:
    – Surf
    – Thunderbolt
    – Psychic
    – Draco Meteor

Skarmory
    Item: BrightPowder
    Ability: Sturdy
    Nature: Impish
    IVs: 28 HP / 22 Attack / 31 Defense / Sp. Atk / 31 Sp. Def / 31 Speed
    EVs: 248 HP / 156 Defense / 100 Sp. Def / 6 Speed
    Lv. 50 Stats: 170 HP / 96 Attack / 198 Defense / 46 Sp. Atk / 103 Sp. Def / 91 Speed
    Battle Moves:
    – Brave Bird
    – Substitute
    – Roost
    – Toxic

Snorlax
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Nature: Careful
    IVs: 30 HP / 31 Attack / 28 Defense / 0 Sp. Atk / 31 Sp. Def / 29 Speed
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 Attack / 252 Sp. Def
    Lv. 100 Stats: 523 HP / 257 Attack / 163 Defense / 121 Sp. Atk / 350 Sp. Def / 94 Speed
    Lv. 50 Stats: 266 HP / 131 Attack / 84 Defense / 63 Sp. Atk / 178 Sp. Def / 48 Speed
    Battle Moves:
    – Return
    – Earthquake
    – Curse
    – Rest

I lost to a clown, gardevoir starter, I switch to snorlax, hoping it is the specs one that always shadow balls which would mean a 3-0...well it psychics me with a freaking CH, I rest next turn which was not a mistake oh well (I was scared of the focus blast one), it CM once and then psychics, 1st turn asleep, psychics, CH asljôoighbuiabvjfnduvgwbb, snorlax dies to third psychic

latios DMs, garde psychics, lati at 98 HP IIRC, next DM faints...I hope for something like a metagross so I can at least bring in skarm...starmie fuck, I let skarmory die, did nothing like snorlax ._. (it was the boltbeam one)...OK lati you have to win this, somehow...

I am faster (at least this) and DM for the KO (I was afraid of 3rd poké being claydol)...well it was gallade, I -2 DM, around 70%, he stone edges and latios faints

I was a bit unlucky there against gallade, coin flip KO if he is +attack, no way he KOs if he is neutral or hindering nature attack...he could´ve missed as well :(

I suck
  17. Jumpman16

"yes"

i mean sorry you lost

No but seriously, congratulations, 459 is ridiculous. Besides, knowing my luck I think I'm guaranteed to lose exactly nine battles before the leader...
  18. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

lol this was a 10 days early christmas present for you ;) besides, you broke my spirit early this morning lol

thanks, it´s a cool record

anyway, I know I´d be "happy" if you lost at 458...to ask for a MM boosting always hitting metagross would be somewhat cruel, right? j/k

good luck
  19. BeachBoy

BeachBoy

You don't suck, hax does. 459... good God, that's incredible. Congrats, Peterko. But jeez, I'd be running around the house if I just touch 200. XD; Reaching 400 is like trying to touch stars. @_@; I'm currently working on my second team, streak still stalled at 119, probably will be for a while due to internet school work increasing before the holidays.
  20. Jumpman16

thanks, and for a more serious comment...

your latios will only die to Specs Gardevoir Shadow Ball 1.2304% of the time, barring a CH, and accounting for the 16% chance it has 194 SpA and not 177. This is a 0.41% chance if you don't know which Gardevoir it is. you'll do 50.35% min to gardy with Surf or TB (obviously you'd TB for par chance unless it's Synch), and obviously kill every one with DM even though "lol accuracy". the only one a clown can use that can even touch gardy is the specs one, as the CM one will be stuck in a loop after chesto rest (assuming you dont want to DM) and still not able to touch you with just psychic and thunderbolt. so i would think that your fear of SB would be valid if you didn't "2-0" every time pretty much even if gardy somehow did get its 1.2304% (0.41%) chance on you, or CH, since you lock it into its eventual death if it uses SB.

of course i'm only posting this because if you're like me I think you'd rather know that you did something wrong than know there's an inherent flaw in your team, but maybe not

also...i decided yesterday that "if you have earned a streak of 200 or better with a team of pokemon you legitimately bred or caught, you are allowed to use max stat pokemon in the BT". i dont know how you feel about that but that's how i feel lol

edit: i also didn't mean to break your spirit at all by what i posted, i truly felt that you'd feel a weight lifted off your shoulder by knowing i'm only ("only" lol) at 441 and would not be compelled to climb much further...unless by me posting this you realized that you also "should not" care as much since you had the record and that's what broke your spirit
  21. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

dont say that,jump still has a few battles to go.and knowing you.you will probably start another streak getting you to 999.
    as for
    i agrre with what beachboy has to say about this!
  22. kd24

kd24 lemme just whip my dick out and slam it on the table
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

i feel like a nerd, but perterko and jump, you are guys are like my internet heroes lol!

congrats peterko on that ... amazing streak (wow i cant believe how good that is!) and congrats jump on keeping your streak alive.
  23. Peterko

Peterko Never give up!

I´m not that disappointed anymore, actually I´m happy and satisfied now, because it IS the best DP ONLY record, after all

as for what I should´ve done...you know me like noone else does LOL

I mean I ran a theorymon when all the "emotions" went down and I know that I have to DM any gardevoir turn1, because if I miss the specs one and that 1% you described happens, I still set up a +6 snorlax at full health where the foe would need a STAB CH fighting move or something similar to take that down...the problem was that the last 3-4 gardevoirs I faced were the specs ones and I don´t know if I faced a different one in this run and didn´t remember the sets (except knowing that focus blast can potentially 3hko lax)...

the battle would´ve ended 3-0 if I had meteored gardy turn one, my mistake, won´t happen again...

I will run a serious theorymon through the moveset list because although I did 100+ rounds of 7 at this stage (after battle 49) I still sometimes "don´t know" what to do right away because I didn´t face each and every set and turn one is the most important one...I actually did this for some other theorymon teams :/

I mean I learned from my battle 245 loss where dusknoir4 CHed me in a similar way like gardy did now and I didn´t have any trouble with a dusknoir since then...

there are a lot of psychic types I draco meteor right away, dunno why I didn´t in this case...I mean gardevoir is one of the very few special attackers that is seriously dangerous for snorlax

EDIT: I don´t know what you mean by using flawless IV pokémon...I know my chances for maybe even a higher streak would rise with a timid, 31 HP/def/sA/sD/speed latios, but

"I DON´T CHEAT AT POKÉMON AND NEVER WILL"

had to be said...I don´t even know whether each person on the list used an uncheated team...but I don´t care, because I know I didn´t and still have the best DP record
  24. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

459 is an amazing score. Great job Peterko. Hopefully I'll be able to match that someday.
  25. Jumpman16

the battle would've ended 3-0 if you had used TB or Surf since they always 2HKO though

and what i've always said is that max IVs dont guarantee you a 200+ streak, and it's clear that even in your case IVs aren't the reason you lost, which has always been my point about max IVs

i just think that when you get to "our level" it stops being about how many times you've biked past solaceon, if it ever was about that to begin with (i dont think it was), and starts being about playing the game
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)