1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastHippo

FastHippo

I believe that reliability is vital to the success of a Yawn lead. The worst thing that can happen is for your lead to faint before it can do anything.

Leafeon has so many weaknesses that I can see that happening far to often. Because of its merely good Speed and mediocre SpDef, you are likely to find yourself trying to win battles with an unboosted Lucario and Slowbro.

There are several other issues, but I've probably already posted some of them elsewhere in this thread. Hopefully this was helpful.

BTW, I really like your avatar.
  2. Age of Kings

Age of Kings of the Ash Legion
    is a Forum Moderator

Just a small note, am I the only person who doesn't breed for Battle tower? I just get the right Pokemon with the right moves and nature and just hatch 3 eggs and look at the characteristic in the status screen and I'm done.

Since my Wi-fi died again, it's a waste to me.
  3. Age of Kings

is a Forum Moderator

I've never had that problem with Hypnosis Crobat (in D/P). iirc only the odd Stone Edge will OHKO it, so Hypnosis has never missed in the truly critical moments.

I suppose I can attribute that to bulk and decent typing.
  4. Diana

Diana This isn't even my final form
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor Alumnus

Eh, you guys have a point... I really need to look at my options for this, a better yawner. I'll be looking at some others too, maybe that will help out with the weaknesses of my team without getting killed quickly... Togekiss comes to mind as well but I'd get slaughtered by electrics so fast that it's not even funny.

And thanks, I always liked the picture, never got a chance to use it until now.

Edit: I know it's been mentioned before but Yawn Uxie looks great to me right now to me, something like Yawn/Reflect/Light Screen/Thunder Wave. I might actually try working on a team that would work around that tomorrow unless I see something better out there.
  5. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

I didn't even use to do that. I started the battle tower with pokemon from my in game team that I used to beat the elite 4. It was hard getting past the first let alone 2nd Tower Tycoon. As I read more about it, I then tried to breed pokemon with the right nature and ev them correctly. Now I am getting even more "in-depth" and coming up with strategies to use and also breeding for the right iv's. It seemed like it would never end but now I have just recently hatched my new Gengar with HP Fighting 70! And it's *shiny*!, which doesn't really matter but I plan on redoing my double battle team with it. It does take a really long time to do this but it is worth breeding/training for the right poke's because in some situations your attack could mean the difference between KOing your opponent or letting them live with a couple of points of health left. Same goes for defenses and speed. But, I guess if you just breed for mediocre iv's you could still get pretty far if you have a good strategy.
  6. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

Beachboy had used Uxie with focus sash and Yawn, Reflect, Light Screen, Knock Off and was pretty successful with it. Before that I used Uxie with leftovers and Yawn, Flash, Protect, Memento and was also very successful. I don't see why you would want to have thunder wave with yawn because you can't paralyze them when they are asleep and you can not use yawn when they are paralyzed. I would remove thunder wave for something like flash. lowering the opponents accuracy while they are asleep is a very good strategy that I picked up off of Fasthippo. It really helps to set up your sweepers if the opponent can not hit you. :)
  7. Age of Kings

is a Forum Moderator

Eh, yeah, that's about as far as I go. That's why I check characteristic, I'm fine if it's in the high 20s in the right stats.
  8. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

i just bred 2 impressive eevees(to be jolteons) with hp grass and 1 with hp ice..which 1 is more nedded in the battle tower grass or ice?im thinking grass as i see ryperior/swampert more than salamance and family+im using it along with skarm who otherwise walls dragons.

thought and suggestions!?!

is this valid in this thread?
  9. Diana

My mind has gone, I swear... Flash makes more sense. I can't get Knock Off, no Platinum access for me yet.

I'll be really slow at thinking overall anyway, I'm so occupied this month, though something tells me running a Lucario/Latias sweeper combo, physical Lucario so I don't get laughed at by special walls, might be good, I have more slow theorymonning to do but that's as far as I got, I really want to beat my old 102 record. So I might make that team and all unless I find anything seriously wrong with it, might be a while before I get to actually towering, with Latias as part of this and all.
  10. Dagger

Dagger

I've been quietly progressing through the Battle Tower for several months now, ever since this inspirational post of Jump's. I quickly constructed a team of rotom/lucario/latias that worked pretty well, but it took a long time to set up each battle (7 turns). Instead, I replaced latias with garchomp, but lost an important water resist. Also, I just got finished breeding a scyther the other day and EV trained it and got to use it yesterday, yet I still have no water resist. The final team is

Rotom@Choice Scarf
    Bold
    252HP / 96Def / 160Spe
    -Trick
    -Thunder Wave
    -Reflect
    -Flash

Garchomp@Lum Berry
    Jolly
    4HP / 252Atk / 252Spe
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Swords Dance
    -Substitute

Scizor@Sitrus Berry
    Adamant
    84HP / 252 Atk / 172 Def
    -Bullet Punch
    -Super Power
    -Swords Dance
    -Substitute

The speed EV's on rotom are to outspeed all weavile so I can trick them before they kill me, although aerodactyl is still a problem. Also, I put the 172 leftover EV's on scizor in defense because I didn't know what I was trying to outspeed anyway, as suggested by Jump's EV spread.

I lead off with a trick and switch to whatever resists the attack the pokemon is locked in to (water attacks are a problem, because I have nothing to resist them). Just a straightforward trick team. I always trick first though, never thunder wave. I feel this may have been what caused me to lose at battle 117.

I had gotten to 105 with rotom/garchomp/lucario and then stopped for a few weeks, finally getting the scizor done to replace lucario. I kept going and lost at battle 117.

I lost to Veteran Antony.

He led with a starmie (3). I tricked, locking it into surf and getting an expert belt. I lost more than half of my health, and starmie finished me off the next turn. Both of scizor's attacks are resisted by starmie, so I needed to use garchomp. I was pretty sure starmie would 2HKO garchomp, so I went ahead and used outrage. I would have to finish it off with scizor's bullet punch. Surprisingly, surf was a 3HKO, so I killed starmie. He sent out porygon2. I didn't know which one this was, but I was locked into outrage anyway. I did about 60% and then fell to tri attack or shadow ball, I can't remember. I sent out scizor. I put up a sub, it tri attacked. I crossed my fingers that it wouldn't get burned/frozen/paralyzed, and it didn't. I swords danced, while it broke my sub with a non crit tri attack. I had a little less than half of my HP left. I panicked, sort of, and went ahead and used bullet punch. Lastly, he sent out heracross. I knew it was over. For whatever reason, I clicked substitute while it went first and stone edge got an unnecessary crit.

Today I looked back over my battle and saw a few things I did wrong. First, I probably should've used thunder wave instead of trick. I don't know what I wouldn't done from there, because I wouldn't want garchomp or scizor to take a surf just to refresh my choice scarf. Second, I should've ran a damage calc on starmie's surf on my garchomp. If it was a 3HKO, I could've SD'd once and killed it with outrage (probably earthquake too) in the next turn. Of course, if it had had a +spatk nature, it would've been a 2HKO so my SD would have gone to waste with no damage to starmie. Thirdly, I should've ran another calc on porygon2's tri attack on scizor to see if it would break my sub. Obviously it did, so I should have went ahead and SD'd again (if I had done this, you just know that a crit or burn/freeze/paralysis would have taken place). Lastly, I should've used bullet punch on heracross, but with +2 attack, I would've had a chance to OHKO.

At least I learned from my mistakes.

I think I should put thunderbolt or discharge over flash on rotom because I rarely use flash anyway, and tb/discharge would help with starmie and other waters. Starmie is the biggest threat of the water types for me. If rotom had thunderbolt, it would be able to 2HKO all starmies, including +spdef ones with 170HP and SpDef. If rotom had a perfect special attack IV, then discharge would 2HKO (mine only has 8 in special attack). I might rebreed because I really like discharge's 30% paralysis.

And one last thing, in what cases should I use a move other than trick as my first move?
  11. Garchomp10295

Garchomp10295

Battle Tower is the only place where i can use sd chomp and kill ou pokes :P.

but yea sd chomp/suicune/infernape was my team and i got somewhere to rank 34.. but thats it =(
  12. kd24

kd24 yo daddy musta been a drug dealer? why, cuz you're dope
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

im still using my anti hax team of machamp / shuckle / latios but i am thinking about espeon / slowbro / garchomp. the only problem is dark / ghost / bug would be ass but none of those types cant beat chomp. with slowbro immune to confusion and espeon abusing flash + trick + charm + yawn, i feel it might be able to work.
  13. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

i've heard of a lot of things, doesn't mean they're true or that they apply to me! like i've said, i'm just really lucky to be blessed with such good driving/multitasking skills. talking on the phone while driving is an absolute piece of cake compared to BTing, the laws against phone+driving are implemented to keep less blessed people safe from themselves andthe rest of the population, but don't worry about me. i've logged about 250 hours of pokemon in my car, i stopped even remotely being worried or feeling guilty in like 2006

i somehow never got around to making a full-blown wall of words about my CLS team, but the speed EVs (for 107 Speed) are 100% for outspeeding every heatran, even +Spe ones. i realized real early that scizor dying to an untouched or like 60%+ heatran because I didn't have a Sub up would pretty much result in a loss because unboosted Latios doesn't like dealing with any Heatran. your case is a little different having Garchomp but there are other pokemon the extra speed on Scizor is nice for that you should probably look into yourself. if I ever get around to using Latias/Garchomp/Scizor i may not drop down to min speed, since for example Suicune at 105 Speed (all of them) would need to be Bullet Punched and not die at +6, then Garchomp isn't OHKOing unboosted and Suicune obviously can carry IB or Blizzard...and Suicune isn't a problem for me because I can Superpower all of them and do 90% min at +4 Atk to the most defensive, etc
  14. twash

twash
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Just lost, I misplayed because I wasn't concentrating with my Clefable, but whatever.

I really fucked up and forgot, wasted Clefable, meant I couldn't get in a Calm Mind on Suicune before I got hit by Starmie's Thunderbolt as I never got off a Thunder Wave. 137 HP / 203 HP with 129 SpD...doesn't look good. I take the Thunderbolt, use Rest. Chesto Berry wakes me up, now I am facing a tough prospect. I take 46.31% - 55.17% from Thunderbolt, so if I Calm Mind after I can take 31.53% - 37.44%. If I use Rest on that hit, I would take 33.5% damage on average...I could possibly PP stall with Pressure, depending what I take from the first hit. I take a mere amount of damage, left with 117 HP, 57.6% of my health. I note that the Starmie only took off 42.4%, which gives me hope, the earlier damage calculations shown were from a Modest nature, it can't be Modest. I quickly hit up another damage calculation, and realise I am only going to take a meek 27.59% - 33.50% this turn. This would leave me with at least 24% health, if I get in the Calm Mind I would only take 21.67% - 25.62%... If Starmie hit average damage on both, I should be fine, I can Rest, and then hope like fuck for no crit. Starmie Thunderbolts me as I type, I'm left with 59 HP, I Calm Mind. Starmie managed 58 HP damage, I should be safe..now just to hope for no critical! Starmie Thunderbolts once more, left with 17 HP, I Rest.

Thunderbolt, 48 damage.
    Thunderbolt, crit, KO.

Game over ._.

Still, at least Chesto would have saved me without the critical, I really love ChestoRest compared to Rest + Leftovers. I also find it leaves me a tiny bit safer against critical hits. If I am Calm Minding and get hit by a critical, I can ChestoRest and be alive again, and this makes me a tad safer if I get critted again. I hear lots of stories of people who get critted, Rest, get critted whilst asleep, get hit, get hit and KOed. Chesto helps against this, as it means I can Rest on the hit after the crit, instead of being asleep doing nothing, whilst the next turn I get KOed.
  15. Anacrusis

Anacrusis

I am not surprised that Jumpman is at the top of the list ^^
  16. Age of Kings

is a Forum Moderator

.....ok, this game and DS do not want me to advance in this shitpile. I finally found the time in between studying for finals when I got to where I was before (now that I remember, match 57), and I didn't lose because of hax, I didn't even lose the match at all....my DS dropped on the floor and the screen froze.
    How delightful, grrrr.
  17. Diana

Wow, ouch.. It's happened to me before too, screen freezing and all, I feel for you.

Myself, I have been a bit distracted but I've finally SRed for a good Uxie, but I still have the hard part, which is getting a good Latias.
  18. FastHippo

FastHippo

When I did my first run with Hippo/Garchomp/Lapras I at least wanted to get 312 wins. After 227 wins, I lost a match that I could have won. I am now on my second run, which started many, many months ago. Now, I need to surpass the 227 mark even if I don't get 312. Well I just got my 231st win.

Something odd happened. In battle 231 I battled Parasol Lady Christa and I faced Quilava, Shelgon and Castform. I thought that the 7th battle was supposed to be one of the tougher battles.

Jolteon/Garchomp/Gyarados is currently 133-0. Garchomp's last consecutive KO streak ended at 78. Gyarados swept Lionel, now Garchomp has 51 straight KOs.

I've tried desperately to find a pokemon to replace Gyarados. I want something that can handle Ice pokemon, resists Water and Ground, and has two powerful Electric/Ice/Fire moves. And, this pokemon MUST be able to beat Gyarados 4, after it has Dragon Danced. Gyarados is the best that I can come up with.

I didn't play for two weeks, but I did A LOT of theorymoning. I came with a couple of untested stategies that I'm pretty sure will work. I have so many teams that I want to test. And, I'm nowhere close to being finished with these two, even if I lose soon.

I'm really enjoying this Jolteon/Garchomp duo. The battles are really fast and straightforward.

I decided to add some info about how I use Gyarados. On my Jolteon/Garchomp/Gyarados team, Gyarados is a role player. His job is to come in and hit stuff hard. I use Life Orb, for the extra damage. I use max Speed, I want to outspeed as much as I can, DD or not. If I go first, and hit hard enough, my defenses don't matter nearly as much. For that reason, I also use max Attack.

I use EQ over Return. I don't care about not being walled if I have to use an attack that never hits SE and doesn't get STAB. Even worse, I hate the thought of getting in a DD and then fainting because I couldn't KO the Electric type that I now outspeed(Manectric etc.).

I replaced Taunt with Substitute. By the time Gyarados gets in, they have DT'd at least once or twice. This of course means that Taunt can miss(and has).
  19. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Pokemon that resists Water + Ground that are NOT weak to ice include: Gyarados (Pelipper, Mantine), Ludicolo, Abomasnow, Shedinja, and lol Surskit... So, it does look like Gyarados is your best choice. Either that or the Lati@s, which are weak to ice but are faster and can handle ice beams ok with their high sp. def, etc. etc. everyone knows how Lati@s works.
  20. Shelcario

Shelcario

After my previous streak fell at 73 I'm now back to where I was at and now have 77 wins and still going.

Edit: Lost at battle 87 to Guitarist Marquez, I defeated his first two pokes with ease; Slowbro and a Drifblim lead but it came down to his last pokemon, Electivire, now previously my Smeargle had outsped all of the Electivire that I had faced in previous battles but this one outsped me and ohko'ed my smeargle with Ice Punch(must've been plus speed natured) and then even outsped my garchomp who was also OHKO'ed by Ice Punch. Finally the torture ended with Starmie vs. the Electivire, looking at what set it was I noticed it also had Thunderpunch, thinking to myself this can't end well. Surprisingly I outsped Electivire hit with Psychic took it down to less than half health left(just enough to still be in the yellow) and it OHKO'ed back with Thunderpunch. I'm going to go make a new BT team but at least now I know that my Baton Passing team is somewhat effective. I've found one of its' weaknesses though, if the opponent is faster than Smeargle and can OHKO then the whole teams' strategy is pretty much ruined, but I do still have Garchomps' Swords Dance to fall back on if I need to get some attack boosts if Smeargle doesn't get the chance to pass a Belly Drum to Garchomp.
  21. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

I just breezed through 100 double tower battles with absolutely no problems with my new and improved team, which is pretty amazing, for me anyways. so here it is with the final changes:

Metagross@ Lum Berry
    Clear Body
    Adamant
    Iv's- 31/31/30/22/29/31
    Ev's- 252 Atk, 152 HP, 104 Spe
    - Iron Head
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Polish
    - Explosion

*Gengar*@ Focus Sash
    Levitate
    Timid
    Iv's- 31/31/30/30/30/30 --- Hidden Power Fighting 70
    Ev's- 252 Satk, 252 Spe, 6 HP
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power
    - Thunderbolt
    - Destiny Bond

Azelf@ Life Orb
    Levitate
    Naive
    Iv's- 29/30/22/31/26/31
    Ev's- 252 Satk, 220 Spe, 36 Atk
    - Shadow Ball
    - Flamethrower
    - Energy Ball
    - Explosion

Dusknoir@ Leftovers
    Pressure
    Careful
    Iv's- 31/31/30/17/31/28
    Ev's- 252 HP, 200 Sdef, 52 Def
    - Shadow Punch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Protect
    - Pain Split

Few minor changes can really improve a team. The major changes are Azelf obviously which is much more better than Heatran just because it can switch attacks if it needs to, but it's main job is to explode but it's other 3 attacks help with the things it can't kill (Ghost, Steel, Rock, and Damp pokes).

Metagross with Iron Head and Gengar with HP Fighting means Tyranitar is no longer a problem. Before I had to rely on Focus Blast and MM both hitting which eventually ended my streak.

Dusknoir now has Shadow Punch simply because my hate of DT'ers out weighs my need to pick off Focus Sash users with Shadow Sneak that survived the big bang.

I don't have any stats or anything to show you all but in over 100 wins already Dusknoir is the only one that hasn't died.... but that is kinda the point, BOOM, BOOM, BOND (james bond... i had too, lol) and if there is still anything leftover Dusknoir cleans up nicely. (about 80% of the time Dusknoir is not even used.)
  22. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

so your saying the easiest way to win is explode your way through..i might try that out!but then evry match is..BOOM!BOOM! thats fairly simple!
  23. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

I dont know if it is the easiest way to win in doubles because that is all i have tried so far but i think it is the fastest way to win. And you might find yourself not exploding all the time, just most of the time. Of course you can't explode on ghosts/ damp pokes, so sometimes Metagross and Gengar sweep the opponent by themselves. But most battles I have played so far end with 1 opponent left. I send out Azelf paired up with a weakened Gengar and then not explode with Azelf but use the appropriate attack and either Destiny bond or attack with Gengar.
  24. frisWEE

frisWEE

new team - currently at 31

Uxie @ Lum Berry
    Bold
    252 HP/ 188 Def/ 70 Sp Def

Yawn
    Reflect
    Flash
    Light Screen

Scizor @ Leftovers
    252 Atk / 172 Spd / 86 HP
    Adamant

Bullet Punch
    Brick Break
    Substitute
    Swords Dance

Lucario @ Sitrus Berry
    252 Spd / 252 Sp Atk / 6 HP
    Timid

Substitute
    Aura Sphere
    Calm Mind
    Dragon Pulse
  25. Veedrock

Veedrock

Man, this topic holds records for every type of Battle Tower.

I was wanting to go at the BT with my bro, but he wasn't motivated enough. Maybe I can convince him with the chance of a record score...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)