1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Actually as far as this community and thread are concerned I don't care if people use my teams one bit. If you're using them to get Battle Points, more power to you. If you're using them to try and climb up the Records List, fine. Everyone here knows what teams I made, and even if someone were to break my personal team records with any one of my teams, I honestly would not care all that much. EeveeTrainer told me that "it wouldn't count" if he beat my record with "his" team because it's really mine. You'll notice that the top three active streaks on the leaderboard are all "mine" in that regard, since venom prince's 210* is with my STG team (I imagine FastHippo has surpassed them but w/e) but for every battle they win they're reaffirming how well I built the team and explained the unintuitive strategies as much as proving their own skill.

If you're using one of my teams and trying to pass off the strategy as your own on another forum, that's kinda lame, but besides the fact that "good luck getting past 200 wins because they are not as easy to use as they look", it's not like I have time to police other forums for such "plagiarism".
  2. Eppie

Eppie

[​IMG]
    Togekiss @ Focus Sash
    Nature: Impish (+Def -Atk)
    Trait: Serence Grace (Not that it matters)
    252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD

- Yawn
    - Flash
    - Charm / Reflect
    - Light Screen

Yawn/Trick leads seem to be the best leads if you look at the record list.
    So I decided to create my own one. FastHippo already took Hippodown / Jolteon as BeachBoy used Uxie / Umbreon, so Togekiss passed for a yawn lead. I'm doubting between charm of reflect, as reflect might seem a better option, it only halves physical attack damage for 5 turns, there were charm stays in play unless the AI switches.
    Wish should also be mentioned as it gives Togekiss more survivability.
  3. Griffin

Griffin

Note that they will only switch if they can not hit you with their attacks. This means they will switch if all they have is a ground attack. However, if they only have a ground attack, they should switch the first turn.

At least, that is if I understood what other people said a few pages ago.
  4. S0crat3s

S0crat3s

Shoot! The highest I've ever gotten in Doubles is 174.
  5. Eppie

Eppie

I knew this already :) Pkmn with Natural Cure ability also switch out immediatly once they're asleep.
  6. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

hows this for a battle tower lead?
    alakazam@choice scarf
    modest
    252sp.att/252speed/6hp
    trick
    psychic
    focus blast
    HP ice

trick a pokemon whos not going to attack.or kill the pokemon with a
    205 special attack stat.if tricked free to setup.
  7. Jumpman16

is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

zam sucks as a lead as ive posted before, especially with those EVs. nothing is stopping any QC pokemon from murdering zam and messing up the entire strat
  8. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

so your saying if a switch the eves around it could work?
  9. Eppie

Eppie

in my opinion a tricklead needs good base HP/Def/SpD and also being able learning moves like thunder wave / flash / charm / reflect / light screen etc.

thunder wave is really necessary to reduce the foe's speedstat with 25%.

besides that, alakazam can nearly take hits, not even with 252 HP EV's.
  10. zorbees

zorbees
    is a Forum Moderator

I see you are trying Togekiss as a Yawn lead. Has anyone tried it as a Trick lead? It has Light screen to help against annoying special leads like Porygon-Z, Froslass, Regice, etc, and has considerable bulk over a pokemon such as Lopunny, particularly Special bulk. Timid Togekiss with 252 HP/20 Def/236 Speed and a Scarf outspeeds every poke in the tower while having 192/118/143 defenses compared to Loppuny's 172/132/116. This also helps against Porygon-Z since Download will raise his Atk rather than his Sp.Atk.
  11. Eppie

Eppie

the problem is when you lock something in thunderbolt/ice beam your chances to paralyze / put light screen up after the trick are small. With the spread u gave it, it can't take two ice beams or two thunderbolts from most pkmns who carry either one of those moves which decreases your chances to set up your sweeper.
  12. Tucker

Tucker

Just finished my first attempt at the Battle Towers and my Streak broke at 50, Jolteon T-Waved my Suicune then Charge Beam + Parahax (3) = Dead Suicune, in all fairness the loss was my fault I foddled my Latios, instead of heading straight to Suicune to setup before Jolteon came out.

Here's my team, any improvement/suggestions are welcomed.

[​IMG]
    Latios @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk|252 Spe|4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    -Draco Meteor
    -Safeguard
    -Thunderbolt
    -Trick

[​IMG]
    Scizor @ Sitirus Berry
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 84 HP|252 Atk|172 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    -Bullet Punch
    -Subsitute
    -Swords Dance
    -X-Scissor

[​IMG]
    Suicune @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP|252 Def|4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    -Surf
    -Calm Mind
    -Subsitute
    -Ice Beam

Basic Idea is to Trick with Latios then if it's a water KO as my team can't effectively handle them, usually it's not and once the opponent is locked into a move I switch to either Suicune or Scizor to set up, Safeguard allows me to safely switch to Scizor or Suicune w/o fear of status. I'm using Jumpman's Scizor with X-Scissor so Waters don't completly ruin my sweep. Suicune takes quite along time to setup and usually I just settle for 4 Calm Minds, behind a sub, with full HP, considering I'm dealing with status or other non-damage inflicting moves, or other laughable moves Ice Beam, Waterfall, stuff Suicune walls, I usually PP stall the opponent out at laugh as they struggle. Scizor though not as bulky as Suicune is twice a potent, same general Strategy though - he has to take quite a deal more damage even from a resisted hit, Scizor ends with 6 Swords Dances and a Sub usually around 50-100 HP. So my teams general problem are Steels and Water, and the culmantion of this problem is Empoleon who takes 2 hits to KO even at full power most of time, Superpower is an option, as it hits both but leaves me walled by Slowking and Slowbro, who have higher defense and recovery.
  13. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

please if you dont want superpower then go for brick break..bug coverage is horrid.latios's overkill on the speed,go modest or change the evs to a bulkyer spread.
    i dont know about cune..perhaps rest over sub?and change safegaurd to surf.

currently sitting at 105 with a yawn team.will list if i hit the leaderboard:)
  14. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

Yay, i just broke my old record and 200! I'm currently at 203 and still going with Metagross, Gengar, Azelf, and Dusknoir. (hey look- they're all purple, and 3 of them are weak to dark and ghost and the 4th doesn't resist it! oh well I guess i'll just have to explode.)
  15. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

i have been trying my hand at yawn teams latly and have been Very Sucessful with them.i lost to a quick claww lanturn at 124 so my new record is 123..damn it still not close enough to make it to the leaderboard maybe one of these days......
    Quick claws are one thing that makes the battle tower so hard.
  16. FastHippo

FastHippo

If you let me know what team you used, and how you lost, I'll help you if I can.
  17. Bozo

Bozo

im sure this isnt the right place for it, but i just had to share this hilarious situation i got into in the emerald battle pike. just before the end of my 9th round. ive just bred a few emerald monsters, so i dont have completed movesets for them yet (need battle points for tutor moves).

i wont bother with too much detail....

salamence - jolly - 252 atk/spd - choice band - aerial ace, earthquake, brick break, dragon dance (gonna replace with rock slide when i have the points)

starmie - timid - 252 sp atk/spd - kings rock (so few good items in 3rd gen) - surf, thunderbolt, ice beam, pychic

blissey - bold - 252 def/hp - leftovers - softboiled, aromatherapy, thunderbolt, ice beam (waiting for seismic toss + thunderwave)

so yeah, i have versions of these guys with proper moves etc, but i just bred better versions (31/31/23/31/31/31 mence and 31/19/31/30/30/31 for the other two - love the emerald RNG!). and i just wanted to get some points for their moves, but wanted them to earn the points themselves.....

so i'd forgotten that you occasionally get into double battles in the battle pike, making choice band not brilliant, even though there are only two pokes on the opposing side. the trick is you dont always get healed after battles.....

so, i start a double battle with my team completely healed. my salamence and starmie come out, and their pokes are regirock and latias. fine i think, ill surf and EQ to kill regirock then switch salamence (if he didnt die) for blissey and finish off latias. so.....

turn 1.
    regirock used double team (damn you quick claw!). starmie used surf - does like 10% to latias and 40% to regirock. (yay surf doesnt kill your partner in the 3rd gen!) salamence uses EQ - does about 60% to starmie, doesnt effect latias, and MISSES regirock! no!!! latias used shadow ball (wtf!) and kills starmie.
    • now im stuffed because im locked onto EQ which will hurt blissey a lot, and probably miss regirock, so i get a bit devious. it all hinges on the quick claw, evasiveness, and damage variation. my blissey has to survive the EQ and whatever it gets attacked by, and ohko salamence with ice beam......
    turn 2.
    salamence used EQ - doesnt effect latias, does about 49% to blissey (glad i rebred for bold over my old calm one) and KILLS REGIROCK!!!! latias used mist ball on salamence - does 40% ish and lowers sp atk haha.... blissey used ice beam - sorry menace..... dead salamence.
    • not much to say now.... the latias (with mist ball, shadow ball, reflect, charm) stands no chance against blissey with ice beam even though it had leftovers and got a few sp atk drops on bliss......
    wow - that was fun! i thought i was a goner...........
  18. Hazmat

Hazmat

On the odd days I'd play through the battle tower, it was always with my friends. We used a pretty simple team with some key resists in the right places.

My guys -
    Zapdos@sitrus berry
    Bold
    252/0/252/0/0/6
    discharge
    roost
    HP ice
    protect

Swampert@leftovers
    impish
    252/100/158/0/0/0
    EQ
    avalanche
    waterfall
    protect

His guys -
    Flygon@focus sash
    jolly
    ---
    EQ
    dragon claw
    protect
    faint attack

Heatran@leftovers
    bold
    ---
    earth power
    lava plume
    protect
    explosion

I swear by protect in the BT, but my reliance on it was ironically my undoing.

The basic strat would involve both of our starters using attacks that hit everything but us (either because we were immune or used protect). Our switches were pretty darn good at resisting or sponging everything that would hurt the active team too. The opponent would usually go for flygon over zapdos which gave me some sweet turns to try for paralysis and pressure stalling while he protected and switched.

Blizzard froslass with hail support was the combo-breaker. We didn't know that stuff could hit though protect so we lost both of our starters in one turn :/

[​IMG]
  19. Veedrock

Veedrock

Quick question: How did both Swampert and Heatran use Leftovers? Does Link battle ignore item clause across the connection?
  20. Lightsabre

Lightsabre

one item per person. so I could use choice specs and my partner could use choice specs
  21. Shaxx

Shaxx

I have made a total of 142 runs bringing my total 994. I plan on making my run to 1001 with a special team. I will post the team and a screen shot after I do that. This is on single battle tower.
  22. MasterD2422

MasterD2422

I got 122 in single battle

Azelf@choice specs
    252spatt/252spe/6hp
    Naive
    Fire blast
    Explosion
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt

Salamence@ Yache berry
    Adamant
    252att/252spe
    Dragon Dance
    Fire fang
    Roost

Metagross@leftovers
    Relaxed
    252att/128def/128spdef
    Zen headbutt
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Bullet Punch
    M
    Dragon claw
  23. Jumpman16

haha, i dont think im alone in thinking that you're going to have to do a little better than just that to get anyone to believe you
  24. FastHippo

FastHippo

Awww Jumpman16, you ruined it. I've been pressing F5 ever since I read that post, waiting for the update.
  25. Jumpman16

maybe he's still typing it up? it will probably have to be longer than each and every one of my posts in this thread lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)