1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

DP Battle Tower Records

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Peterko, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Hows this for a setup sweeper in the BT
    someone with experience?

Emopeon @ LifeOrb/Leftovers
    Adamant
    252att/252spd/6hp
    Sword Dance
    Substitute
    Aqua Jet
    Avalanche/Earthquake/Drill peck

Need help with item and last slot..
  2. PurpleNurple42

PurpleNurple42

Empoleon should not be physical. If you want it to set up and sweep n the tower you should go with the Agility set :

surf
    ice beam
    grass knot/ hidden power electric
    agility

i used this set except i replaced ice beam with flash cannon just because i was using it as an ice counter for my Garchomp. surf, flash cannon, and grass knot hit every ice type in the game for super effective damage. but ice beam obviously has more coverage.

lol, can't wait to see that screen shot of 1001.
  3. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

thats ok i guess but i dont have access to stat booting berries so i think ill ditch empoleon for a better sweeper as i hate being boltbeam weak.
  4. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I have a really simple team idea here that will probably have some major flaw, but I need something to learn the BT with / get me past 56 wins :(

Jumpluff @ Focus Sash
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe; Timid
    - Sleep Powder
    - Memento
    - Substitute
    - Encore

Substitute is there for when someone is spamming something like Sheer Cold or Double Team to provide a little protection from random stuff. Encore is also nice for that reason. Sleep Powder whatever's there, most of the time I get two shots at it, then Memento and go to...

Charizard @ Salac Berry
    100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe Adamant
    - Belly Drum
    - Substitute
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquake

Pretty basic.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Dance
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake

Pretty basic as well, the idea here being that it's a "back up sweeper" in case the first plan falls through. I couldn't think of anything that would be able to sweep almost all the time.
  5. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Very similar to a team that I used, Chris (I REALLY need to give it another go). http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1436547&postcount=590

The flaw here is that your team relies on a 75% accurate move and eventually that is gonna bite you. Even if it does hit, you're dependant on the opposing Pokemon sleeping for 4 turns (assuming 'Pluff is faster) to ensure that Charizard comes out with his Sub and boosts intact. A lot of Pokemon will still be able to break 'Zards Subs despite the Memento and it's imperative that his Sub stays intact to guard against random priority attacks, Quick Claws, BrightPowders, Sashes/Bands etc.

I used Uxie and Yawn which is a much safer tactic for a few reasons. Most importantly, Yawn never misses (it even overrides DT etc). Secondly, the one turn delay between the move hitting and the foe going to sleep gives Uxie time to execute Memento and get Charizard in precisely as the opponent goes to sleep meaning I only need the foe to sleep for 2 turns rather than 4.

(watch out for Chesto and Lum Berrys, bane of my life...thank God Uxie got Knock Off in Plat)

Give Charizard a bit more Speed too unless you wanna get knocked down by a random Electrode.
  6. Battle-Tower Challenger

Battle-Tower Challenger

This is so funny. I am right now at 50
    now i have a break to relax a bittle^^. this funny team is good:

[​IMG]
    Curseral (Bibarel) (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Simple
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Amnesia
    - Waterfall
    - Quick Attack
    - Curse
    This is the best Counter against enemy number 49, the battle tower master. really.
    heatran allow me to set up both stats about 3times. Cresselia too.
    Regigigas:well nearly same. he isnt a problem, too

Bibarel is a huge against most staller.

---
    [​IMG]
    SashApe (Infernape) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 52 Atk/252 Spd/204 SAtk
    Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Close Combat
    - Flamethrower
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Grass Knot/Overhaet

im not sure in the last slot

Nape an Latios covers the weaks this team perfectly.
    ---
    [​IMG]
    Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
    Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Thunderbolt
    - Psychic

i know this team will not be succesfull all the time...only at <80 maybe. because there ar a few problems, for example Psychic-pokemon which are not weak to my attacks most of the team. KO attacks are bad too. and so on....

but i wont to show this bibarel-~<80~-team^^

maybe you can make it better :D
  7. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I've been noticing in battles 30 or so how much more useful Yawn would be than Sleep Powder. The ideal setup would probably be Yawn / Encore / Memento / Knock Off, since Encoring Substitutes or even a Double Team ends up winning me the match more often than not simply by leaving them with nothing to do for 6 turns or whatever. I'll probably finish this run, then cut to your team or some variant of it.
  8. Dan Dan

Dan Dan

Espeon @ Light Clay / ???
    Timid Nature [+Spd -Atk]
    Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 SDef / 192 Spd
    -Yawn
    -Reflect / Psychic / Sand Attack
    -Calm Mind
    -Baton Pass

Starmie @ Expert Belt
    Timid Nature [+Spd -Atk]
    Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    -Surf
    -Thunderbolt
    -Psychic / Ice Beam
    -Recover

Dragonite @ Life Orb
    Mild Nature [+SAtk -Def]
    Inner Focus
    EVs: 84 Atk / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
    -Agility
    -Draco Meteor
    -Outrage
    -Flamethrower

This is the team I'm currently using in Battle Tower, and it has got me up to 77 wins so (and counting). The idea is to Yawn their lead with Espy, and then Baton Pass the Calm Minds I can gain to Starmie or Dragonite who then proceeds to sweep teams. At the moment, I am running Reflect on Espy with Light Clay, since my Starmie has a horrible HP/Def IV, and Dragonite is Mild, but Sand attack looks very appealing for making an even cleaner sweep? Thoughts? I was looking for a pokemon who could induce sleep, and Baton Pass stat ups around. Mr. Mime, Espeon and Umbreon came to mind..I would have preferred to use Umbreon but it doesn't get Calm Mind =/

Up to 50 or so battles, i was using Explosion Lickilicky as a lead :)
  9. Lightsabre

Lightsabre

I posted a BT team in the RMT place. is there anything I could do to improve it?(please post there)

EDIT: if this isn't alowwed then I'll delete the post
  10. EeveeTrainer

EeveeTrainer

I think, to be honest, that we should just close this topic and declare Jumpman16 the winner until March 22.

:)
  11. Lightsabre

Lightsabre

is this a contest? I was under the impression that it was a thread for people to discuss tactics.
  12. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

NO it is a bit of both.it isn't exactly a contest but it is for people who want help with there teams and to see how other teams have reached high records/and or post your team if it has reached a high record
  13. zorbees

zorbees
    is a Forum Moderator

If so, I should work on my streak. I'll reveal my team when I'm content with my record. Right now, my highest is 155, and I'm currently at 84.
  14. TomD

TomD

I had an idea of using a Mr. Mime as a status absorber for my team, since still being new to this I had for some misguided reason assumed that some sort of sleep clause would be in effect.
    So yeah, something like

Mr. Mime @ Lum Berry
    Filter
    -Recycle
    -Reflect/Light Screen
    -Psychic
    -Thunderbolt

I presume would work okay, but I have no idea what nature or EVs to go for to strike a balance between absorbing hits and actually being able to do decent damage himself.
  15. Familiar Trainer

Familiar Trainer

The Battle Tower is very offensive-based, mainly due to only three Pokemon being used. And also because only three Pokemon can be used, each team spot is vital. Personally, I can't see that Mr. Mime being too useful - if you desire a "status absorber", try something with Natural Cure (Blissey, Starmie, etc) or something with Rest (most things).

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing a BT run soon. Farthest I've got was like 105 or something a few months ago (Salamence/Blissey/Metagross). I was just wondering, how important would some of you BT veterans say type importance is? It it almost necessary to have a team where each Pokemon's weaknesses are resisted by another?
  16. McGrrr

McGrrr Facetious
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I haven't posted here for a while

Just wanted to point out that if Peterko had hacked a timid Latios with better IVs, he would not have lost at 460!

Also, Platinum will be the same price ($50) to import as my US Pearl... in USD anyway. Unfortunately, due to the feeble pound, that will be £34.50 at today's exchange rate. For some perspective, $50 was £25 when I imported Pearl.

Being the frugal person that I am, it looks like I won't be challenging Tower Tycoon Jumpman until the UK release... which could be as late as summer :(
  17. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

ok so after getting to 123 wins in singles and not being able to get past that(Thanks fast for the help but I really cannot beat 123.)I decicded to try my hand in doubles and this is what I end up with.This is my first doubles original team so all help is appreciated as it is probably a mess.I wish to keep the theme Rain.So please don't change that.
    Highest Streak : 54 wins

Lead 1:
    Jolteon @ Damp Rock
    Modest
    Volt Absorb
    6 hp/252 sp.att/252 spd
    ~Rain Dance
    ~Thunder
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Light Screen

Set's up RD.Light screen for support.Abusing thunder and the paralysis is welcoming.

Lead 2:
    Ludicolo @ Leftovers
    Mild
    Swift Swim
    124 hp/252 sp.att/134 spd
    ~Fake Out
    ~Hydro Pump
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Energy Ball

Fake's out the poke that thinks it can mess with jolt and then sends him to hell.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
    Adamant
    Swift Swim
    6 hp/252 att/252 spd
    ~Sword Dance
    ~Waterfall
    ~Stone Edge
    ~X-scissor

Rapes stuff..what more to say?

Relicanth @ Choice Scarf
    Adamant
    Rock Head
    6 hp/252 att/252 spd
    ~Head Smash
    ~Waterfall
    ~Rock Slide
    ~Earthquake

I really din't know what to use here so I went with relicanth.I know Eq is bad for a 4th slot but i dont know what else to use and I only use it as a last resort.

Thanks for the help in advance!!
  18. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

Hey, a few things I want to comment:

- Inaccurate moves (Hydro Pump, Stone Edge, Head Smash) are likely to miss during critical moments, especially if you're not putting much bulk to your pokemon (i.e. 1 miss will be more costly)

- I don't think Fake Out on Ludicolo will do much damage even when it's Mild (with a base 70 Attack and no Attack EVs), so I think you might as well go with Modest to take hits better.

- Kabutops does not need max speed if rain is up. The fastest pokemon in BT is Electode with 211 Speed. Kabutops needs only 44 Speed EVs to reach 106 Speed at level 50 (which doubles to 212). If rain is up nearly all the time, then you won't need more than that. But if you want to outspeed some specific pokemon even when rain is not up, then yah, you can put more into speed. Most of the pokemon at or below base 75 speed in Battle Tower won't even run any speed EVs though (and a number of those that do are scarfed).
  19. Eppie

Eppie

in my opinion this post is realy ridicilous for a couple of reasons:

(1 This thread was started to motivate pkmn players to play BT more often.
    (2 This thread is here to discuss stategies / movesets etc...
    (3 We all know Jumpman is Smogons best BT player (if not in the whole world)
    (4 Why the hell close a topic which get's so many visitors every damn day?
    (5 Read reason 1 and 2 again and again and again.
  20. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

I can change stone edge for rock slide but i really cant change anyother.Do you know any other move to replace Hydrp pump and head smash?now dont say double edge.Not enough power.

Ill do that

Thanks for the rates...anyother?
  21. Dan Dan

Dan Dan

Stick with Head Smash on Relicanth, I mean it's pretty much the reason you're using it. I think Double Edge over Earthquake may be worth a go though, for more neutral coverage and so you don't nail your own team members. If you were really into it, you could run a CB/Swift Swim set, but the recoil won't let you last too long.
  22. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

pretty sure he was kidding, besides the ":)" if you look at his sig you'll realize we've known each other for well over five years
  23. darkseeker4

darkseeker4

Im thinking of replacing hydropump with brine and giving Ludicolo brine ??
  24. shipship

shipship

I've made a new doubles team, hoping to go farther than I've gone before. After numerous tries and failures I've come up with something remarkably simple but effective. This team is all-offense and designed to annihilate the opposition as soon as possible. No gimmicks, no elaborate set-ups, just brutal force and blistering speed:

Lead 1:
    Azelf @ Focus Sash
    Nature: Timid
    EV's: 252 Sp Att, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Nasty Plot

Lead 2:
    Alakazam @ Expert Belt
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Synchronize
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Energy Ball
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Shadow Ball

I lead with two of the fastest and most powerful special attackers in the game. Why two special attackers? So I don't get nerfed by Intimidate, the most broken ability in doubles. They are both very frail, but I don't give a shit because between the two of them they can 2HKO EVERYTHING not named Blissey (and I have another team member that can OHKO Blissey). They are so similar that they're almost clones of each other, with different secondary moves that provide tremendous type coverage (STAB Psychic + Fire + Electric + Grass + Fighting + Ghost). All of the moves have 100% accuracy except for Focus Blast, which is needed to kill off Tyranitar. Azelf is sashed and can set up with Nasty Plot, but most of the time I don't bother. Azelf doesn't really need another attacking move anyway given Alakazam's moveset.

Revenge killer 1:
    Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    Nature: Modest
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Flash Cannon
    ~ Earth Power
    ~ Dragon Pulse

ScarfTran needs no explanation. Fire + Ground + Dragon is an unresisted combo, and Flash Cannon provides a reliable secondary STAB. I don't want Explosion as none of my team members can avoid getting hurt by it. Note that Heatran resists ALL of the weaknesses of the Psychic type, giving him a great chance to switch in on a resisted attack.

Revenge killer 2:
    Scizor @ Choice Band
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    EV's: 252 Att, 252 HP, 6 Speed
    ~ U-Turn
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ Superpower
    ~ Pursuit

The final member of my team, and the only physical attacker on my team. Superpower easily one-shots Blissey which my other 3 team members don't particularly enjoy. Mostly she just picks off weakened opponents with Bullet Punch, boosted by Choice Band. Like Heatran, Scizor resists all types that are super-effective on Psychic. Scizor makes a particularly good counter to Weavile, the biggest enemy of my two leads. Bullet Punch also OHKO's Aerodactyl, another pokemon that could give my team trouble. All in all Scizor fills a lot of holes in my team.

I'm trying to think of trouble pokemon for this team but surprisingly I can't think of too many. Just about everything is outsped and OHKO'd or 2HKO'd at worst. The few pokemon that outspeed my team almost all hate CB Bullet Punch. Jolteon is one the few that live Bullet Punch but Jolteon cannot OHKO anyone on my team so it can be dealt with. Thoughts?
  25. Griffin

Griffin

A minor nitpick, but - assuming the breeding won't be too much of a hassle - can't you just change Focus Blast for HP Fighting? Or is that too weak to OHKO?

Edit: Also, I'd say that you'll want X-Scissor more than U-Turn since you most likely won't switch any more after it comes in.

Edit2: Night Slash > Pursuit since nothing will ever be switching.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)